Register Register

Author Topic: Resolve missions on tabletop  (Read 517 times)

Firepigeon

• Recruit
Resolve missions on tabletop
« on: 05 December 2021, 11:54:44 »
I'm playing AtB campaign but would like to resolve some missions on the tabletop, and sometimes change the opfor units. Is there a guide to do this?
I've tried the manual resolution for a mission, but I cannot figure out how to add the opfor units and damage, even the ones from the mission. Also on my own units I cannot find a way to add the ammo expenditure (damage is easy), or pilots/crew hits.

If this has been asked before, than my google-fu skills are really low at the moment.

Thanks for any help.

johnboyjjb

• Corporal
Re: Resolve missions on tabletop
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2021, 13:38:46 »
Documentation is scarce.

The most success I have had is modifying existing *.mul files that salvage goes into when you complete a Megamek game. Even that isn't exactly simple or easy unless one knows what they are doing.

When I attempt to resolve manually without a MUL file, I can modify my units damage and my personnel damage but cannot account for any of the OpFor.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2021, 17:22:16 »
When I play AtB, the only changes I make to any of the bot-controlled units is removing them, not adding them.  Adding them, as you've found, tends to mess up end-of-game reporting.  Removing them, not so much.  If you're trying to match force BV, I suggest either only removing units or adjusting piloting skills.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2021, 15:29:49 »
When I play AtB, the only changes I make to any of the bot-controlled units is removing them, not adding them.  Adding them, as you've found, tends to mess up end-of-game reporting.  Removing them, not so much.  If you're trying to match force BV, I suggest either only removing units or adjusting piloting skills.

Removing can be a problem if the objectives include "destroy/preserve/force retreat X percent" or similar.  If removed, they don't show up in the scenario resolution, so you don't have the ability to manually check them off or not.  It doesn't take many to cause an objective failure.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2021, 15:54:15 »
Removing can be a problem if the objectives include "destroy/preserve/force retreat X percent" or similar.  If removed, they don't show up in the scenario resolution, so you don't have the ability to manually check them off or not.  It doesn't take many to cause an objective failure.

That is true.  That's when I dip into the GM tool bag to fix contract scores resulting from those issues.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Peleandros

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2021, 17:22:40 »
As others have said, to use MekHQ to resolve games that are completed via table top can be a royal pain, since it involves a lot of hand-editing .mul files.

what I've done is export the mul for the players, then create a separate mul for the intended opfor, then make edits as needed.

You can combine them into a salvage.mul to help resolve with, but it's still a complex action.

That is one item I think would be a great benefit is an easier way to edit mul files easier.  Making a single typo can throw off the whole file, without any clue as to why. The damage editor that was included as part of the scenario resolve screen is great....if you have the information already present.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here." - Jayne, Firefly (The Train Job)

Register