Register Register

Author Topic: Way to rotate autosaves/ autosaves keep breaking  (Read 473 times)

racercowan

• Recruit
Way to rotate autosaves/ autosaves keep breaking
« on: 21 October 2021, 21:45:36 »
I've recently been playing through a MekHQ campaign that involves a base attack, which basically requires using "paranoid autosave". However, every once in a while the autosave gets damaged(?) in some way where loading it just causes it to immediately disconnect. Other than just manually saving a bunch, is there some way to make (or can I request a new feature for) the game have multiple autosaves like MekHQ does? Or alternatively, does anyone know if there's some way to fix saves that disconnect you. Maybe some option or server setting or something?

yukamichi

• Corporal
Re: Way to rotate autosaves/ autosaves keep breaking
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2021, 05:50:35 »
Are you perhaps having the same problem that was addressed in this thread: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/megamek-games/anyone-else-having-issues-saving-games-in-49-3/

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2021, 06:50:51 »
Are your autosaves overwriting, or have you set the option in Client Settings that appends a time/date stamp to each one, so that each save is separate?
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

racercowan

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2021, 07:05:38 »
Are you perhaps having the same problem that was addressed in this thread: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/megamek-games/anyone-else-having-issues-saving-games-in-49-3/

I don't think so. Most of the saves are working, it's just every once in a while an autosave or a manual save made at the start/end of a phase will immediately disconnect me.

Are your autosaves overwriting, or have you set the option in Client Settings that appends a time/date stamp to each one, so that each save is separate?

I'm currently overwriting saves, but that sounds like pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I don't usually mess with the client settings much.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2021, 08:14:24 »
I'm currently overwriting saves, but that sounds like pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I don't usually mess with the client settings much.

From memory, the append-timestamp-to-save option is near the bottom of the first tab. You may end up with a lot of saves, so occasional housekeeping is recommended.

Other settings can tweak the graphics to change your experience (e.g. how LOS is indicated on the map), and then the advanced options allow you to do things like change the number of buttons at the bottom of the screen per row, so if you're using a large screen, you can have all of your buttons on a single screen, without needing to hit a button to see the next part of the menu. They don't usually need much tweaking once you've got things set up the way that you want them.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Hammer

• Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2021, 09:45:53 »
Something else to try to reduce the rate of disconnects - Enable the illegal units option.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2021, 13:44:05 »
I'll need Java version and operating system first to help debug why the saves aren't working properly.

racercowan

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2021, 23:59:26 »
I'll need Java version and operating system first to help debug why the saves aren't working properly.

48 stable on Windows 10 running Java version 8 update 301... Java is up to like 11 now isn't it? Perhaps I should update or reinstall.

Like, as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2021, 00:09:29 by racercowan »

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2021, 09:10:27 »
We've got a guide to assist in doing so here. We support (and highly recommend) Java 11, with it being required going forward. However, the latest Java version is Java 17, which we do not support at the current time.

Next time the save fails, can you please check the logs for anything with the words "Exception" or "Serialization", or anything containing the text "Serial" (so not a full word) that is located near the bottom of the log? I cannot recall seeing any non-version and non-path related MegaMek save issues in 0.48.0.

Also, just want to check that you aren't running it out of Program Files, cause that can also cause some 'fun' issues.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2021, 09:26:42 by Windchild »

racercowan

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2021, 09:37:33 »
Fortunately I was able to finally finish the mission (turning off animated movement in client options really helped delay the onset of the application slowing + lagging too), but if I run into the broken save problem again I'll check those logs.

Also, just want to check that you aren't running it out of Program Files, cause that can also cause some 'fun' issues.
No, but I am running it off of a USB so I can switch between computers. Does that cause any known issues?

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2021, 11:57:36 »
Thanks, and no known issues for that (although I've also not heard of anyone running through a USB before either)

dgorsman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2021, 21:01:39 »
Backing up a step and a half:
... a MekHQ campaign that involves a base attack, which basically requires using "paranoid autosave."

What about this makes autosave, the paranoid option in particular, a necessity?

One thing I do remember about 48.0 is a periodic Princess lockup when the building it was going to shoot at during the weapons phase was destroyed in the preceding movement or indirect fire phase.  If this is the case, it's been resolved for at least 49.2.  Simply kicking and reconnecting the offending Princess player in 48.0 usually handled the problem as well.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

racercowan

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2021, 23:32:57 »
Mainly just the program slowing down. After a while it'd basically be a slide show that takes a second or two to respond to anything. Once I got into double-digit turns I was lucky to get two full rounds in after reloading the game before it slowed down again. Like I said, turning off the movement animation for some reason seems to have prevented or at least delayed the issue long enough to finish the mission.

I don't know if MegaMek just isn't designed to handle like 40 ~70 units in a battle, or if using an older version of Java screwed things up, but after a few instances of issues in melee phase made me restart from the top of the round I felt it was worth restarting to turn on the paranoid autosave.

The AI did lock up occasionally, though weirdly it almost seems like the units would lock up too? Like, kicking and replacing would sometimes not fix it, and on 3 instances I couldn't even /skip the unit. A few of my restarts were because it would lock up at whatever unit even if I reloaded a save! Maybe I was just cursed by a witch or something.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2021, 23:37:00 by racercowan »

Hammer

• Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2021, 08:05:17 »
Have you upped the memory for MegaMek?
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

racercowan

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2021, 08:24:31 »
I don't know what that means, so I'm going to guess that I have not.

Hammer

• Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2021, 08:32:50 »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

dgorsman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 25 October 2021, 20:41:26 »
I don't know if MegaMek just isn't designed to handle like 40 ~70 units in a battle, or if using an older version of Java screwed things up, but after a few instances of issues in melee phase made me restart from the top of the round I felt it was worth restarting to turn on the paranoid autosave.

I'm running a couple of stars worth vs. 30-40 mixed vehicles and Mechs currently on 49.2, on six-core older model i7 with 32 GB of RAM.  The INI file is configured for 4 GB of RAM.  It's not immediate (there is a slight pause while moves are calculated when they're all still present), but quite playable well into 100+ rounds without any kind of re-loading.  I've run similar size games on the same hardware with older versions at the same performance level.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Register