Register Register

Author Topic: A Christmas Exchange Mini  (Read 1109 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
A Christmas Exchange Mini
« on: 30 December 2021, 01:42:56 »
Howdy all.  Hope the holidays have treated everyone well.  I participated in a Secret Santa Battletech mini exchange this year.  Now that everything has been sent out and received, I can share what I did for my recipient.  They had a love for the Combine, so I choose to do a metal Thunderbolt in Legion of Vega colors for them.  I had not done the scheme before, and it was listed as a favorite, so it seemed like a fun idea.  It was a fun scheme to paint, and I may have to add a company to my collection.

Wish I could share what I got in the exchange, but it is a MWO print, so that can't happen here.  Suffice to say, it was hilarious, awesome, and a fine tribute to the Federated Suns.  8)

Questions and comments are welcome as always.  Happy New Year all!  :thumbsup: :beer:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
Re: A Christmas Exchange Mini
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2021, 08:22:02 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2021, 08:45:57 »
 :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2021, 14:03:44 »
You've come a long way! That's a great looking Thud. Walk us through the paint work, thanks?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2021, 15:28:52 »
That is a gorgeous Thunderbolt, and I'm happy to hear you got something in exchange that pleased you too!  :thumbsup:

Xan

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2021, 01:10:49 »
That is a very good looking mech!  Really great job on the base too!

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2021, 01:56:28 »
You've come a long way! That's a great looking Thud. Walk us through the paint work, thanks?
Thank you all for the kind words.  Here's the walkthrough:

Primed with Krylon ColorMaxx Gray Primer
Black Ink Wash
Gray:
Wetbrush Vallejo Charcoal Gray
Wetbrush DecoArt Zinc
Drybrush Vallejo Wolf Gray
Ghostbrush Vallejo Ghost Gray

Red:
Base - DecoArt Deep Burgandy
DecoArt True Red
Pro Acryl Bold Pyrrole Red
Finish - Blue Ink Wash

Gun Barrels: Drybrush Vallejo Gunmetal
LRM launcher: Drybrush Vallejo Hammered Copper

Sealed with Krylon ColorMaxx flat clear acrylic.

I think I have a better pic that shows off the gun barrel effects.  I'll post that with the write up for them.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2021, 02:21:45 »
Blue ink wash on the red? ???
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2021, 12:47:14 »
Blue ink wash on the red? ???
Yeah, I had the same reaction.  As it was explained to me, the blue ink wash can add some shading and depth to the red without making it look dirty like a black wash can.  I still didn't believe until I tried it.  It does work.  My wash was one to one mix of Vallejo Blue Ink, flow improver, and water.

EDIT: Before and after pics of the wash added.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2021, 13:16:29 by Valkerie »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2021, 13:59:05 »
Nice!  That does look good...  :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 31 December 2021, 14:30:03 »
Going to have to think about that ...

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2021, 20:32:21 »
This looks great, Valkerie! Great job on the mini, and an excellent unit choice. It was fun seeing it come along. Thank you for sharing the progress along the way.

I got the idea for blue as a shadow for red from Gunji's incredible paint along tutorial. Cooling off that warm red and creating a purple transition really helps with making red pop. Adding a sand or tan flesh as a highlight can help with the contrast.

avon1985

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2022, 12:25:51 »
Very nice! :thumbsup:

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2022, 22:10:56 »
Really gorgeous work. Thanks for sharing your recipe, too!
Twitter: @schwrpnktprnzp

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2022, 09:56:21 »
I got the idea for blue as a shadow for red from Gunji's incredible paint along tutorial. Cooling off that warm red and creating a purple transition really helps with making red pop. Adding a sand or tan flesh as a highlight can help with the contrast.

Yup.  A very thin tan. It'll let the underlying layer show through.

On the flip side, if you don't want the red to dull, I've found that tan as a base to the raised plates covered over by a True Red looks brighter.  That's how I got Optimus to sport his truly 'Prime' colors.

I've been hearing a lot of counter-intuitive color mixes, recently, like shading gold with purple.  Blue on red does not surprise me one bit.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Register