Register Register

Author Topic: Assembly - one Awesome, one Warhammer (plus a couple of general questions)  (Read 2308 times)

Hakkonen

  • Guest
I'm looking for advice on assembling an Awesome and a Warhammer.  The Awesome is pretty straightforward, just attach the arms to the body/legs piece...  except I can't get the glue to take.  I'm using regular Loc-Tite superglue, I put a drop into the recess where the arm peg goes and held it for several minutes, and the glue just would not take hold.  Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what did you do about it?

The Warhammer is a little more complicated.  I get that there are a lot of superfluous bits so I can make any of several different variants (I'm going for a "generic" Warhammer since I don't really want to have a ton of nearly-identical 'Mechs lying around), and I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to use and how they fit together.  I just can't figure out how the feet are supposed to interact with the base.  Are they supposed to go into those...  thingies (for lack of a better term) toe-first or heel-first?

On to the more general questions (yes, I am a newbie, why do you ask?): What, if anything, do you use to fill chinks?  I managed to get my Dragon put together without help (yay, only two pieces!), but there's an unsightly (albeit tiny) gap between the upper and lower torso pieces.  Also, what do you recommend for pins?  A friend of mine mentioned floral wire; is there a specific size or gauge I should use?

ScarletDevil

  • Private
  • *
  • Posts: 47
Quote
Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what did you do about it?

I've heard of it happening. Try washing the parts with soap and water, then score the surfaces that are going to be glued lightly with a file or an exacto. That'll create rough are for the glue to grip

Not familiar with the Warhammer mini so I'll let someone else take that question

Quote
What, if anything, do you use to fill chinks?

Kneadatite (also called green stuff) works great

Quote
Also, what do you recommend for pins?

Paperclips, they're cheap and easy to find

Psycho

  • CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • *
  • Posts: 1473
Yeah, sometimes glue just decides not to stick too. Even between washing, scoring, and getting fresh glue, looking at it the wrong way can do it some days. If none of the above have helped, walk away and try again later.

You can take a look at some Warhammers here: http://www.camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=681
Long and short of it is that those "things" are the toes. You picked up a nasty piece for a beginner. Most are not that annoying.


Anthony Monaghan

  • Corporal
  • *
  • Posts: 84
  • 7th Assault Cluster, Lambda Galaxy
i have problems with glue setting every now and then i leave it for a day or 2 and try again and it usually starts setting

Siberian-troll

  • Captain
  • *
  • Posts: 1713
The Awesome is pretty straightforward, just attach the arms to the body/legs piece...  except I can't get the glue to take.  I'm using regular Loc-Tite superglue, I put a drop into the recess where the arm peg goes and held it for several minutes, and the glue just would not take hold.  Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what did you do about it?

I use pins for it  ;)
Small drill, and piece of paperclip can make a wonders.
For big, rotating jounts I use a 1mm iron wire and 1mm hand drill

For Warhammer - buy at IWM new set of legs from WHM-9K, or cut these thingies on the base and reattach them on toes.
Then repose these legs - dancing Whammy in any case look not so good.


dirty harry

  • Warrant Officer
  • *
  • Posts: 782
  • Make my day
Mold release agent can be a pita, even after washing it with water and soap. I had one extremly nasty bit, that had to be bathed in acetone. Clean it afterwards with water and try again.

The Warhammer is really a hard piece to start with. Lots of parts and and the legs seems to be interchangeable (well... they shouldn't... and i have already been told, that my Warhammer got them twisted...). After all i pinned it totally. I use .8 mm floral wire for most parts. It can be bend if you drilled your holes not exactly in line. Usually i use a .8 mm drill for the job, but tinier parts can be done with a .6 mm drill (tight fitting with the floral wire). Parts that have to hold a lot of weight and stress (like the standing leg of a reseen Thunderbolt) are pinned with cheap neals (about 1.1 mm diameter), using a 1.2 mm drill.