Register Register

Author Topic: Clan Steel Viper - More Experimentation with Metallic Paint  (Read 373 times)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
I've been playing around with metallic paint for the last few batches of miniatures. This set, I'm very proud of.

Like my Ghost Bear and Wolf Mechwarrior 2 Tribute 'Mechs and Battle Armor, I challenged myself to stick with nothing but metallics unless it would not work (checkerboard). For the Steel Viper batch I may have subconsciously chosen Gamma Galaxy since they use a variety of terran snakes for colors. I choose to use the Green snake. It's harmless, but it's green and sometimes has a pretty green/blue look that blends together nicely.

My method (Army Painter unless noted):

- White Primer
- Glitter Green basecoat
- A base of Night Scales on forearms, shins, and feet, with Azure Magic blending toward the torso
- Stripes have a base of Royal Purple with an accent of Zephyr Pink
- Vents, gunbarrels, etc. Vallejo Airbrush Metal Colors Aluminum
- 1 wash using Dark Tone with flow-aid to prevent staining
- Lasers and PPC's use Citadel Technical Paints, Waystone Green and Soulstone Blue
- Cockpits are Gemstone
- Highlights are thinned-down Fairy Dust
- Checkerboard using Matt White and Necromancer Cloak
- Touch-ups on color where needed
- Elemental fire using Daemonic Yellow, Pure Red, Lava Orange, Ash Grey, Necromancer Cloak.
- 2nd wash using Dark Tone with a little more flow aid
- Bases painted using Vallejo Model Color Hull Red and drybrushed with Fairy Dust
- Tuffs were black/purple, but I drybrushed Daemonic Yellow, Moon Dust, Pure Red, then used Gemstone and Fairy Dust to create a "Dew" effect.
- Add rocks, seal the mini with a matte finish

Overall, I think this is my best work. Part of this is because I was off work for almost a week because I got strep throat and this was the only thing I could concentrate on and forget about it. But I really, really, poured my soul into these. I wanted to play with more metallics and these really blend well. I can't wait to use them in a game.

Are there things I can do better? Sure. It was my decision to keep the bases simple, and highlighting is still pretty new for me. Cockpits could have been jeweled. But hey, it's a learning experience.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Xan

• Sergeant
Re: Clan Steel Viper - More Experimentation with Metallic Paint
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2022, 23:08:51 »
Wow!  Those look great, the purple and green really blend well together.  The checker patterns are super even which is always impressive for a free hand.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2022, 06:59:16 »
 :thumbsup:

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2022, 07:35:33 »
Very nice. :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
  • and let slip the dogs of war
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2022, 10:26:44 »
Wow, great job, Fear! The group turned out beautifully. YOu should be proud...  :thumbsup:
"We ask not your counsels or arms..."

riposte

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2022, 15:27:16 »
Those metallic paint jobs are turning out really well!

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2022, 03:54:32 »
That works way better then I expected.

RazorclawXLS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2022, 13:56:43 »
They look a lot better to me in the second photo. And those black&white checkers are "chef's kiss".