Register Register

Author Topic: Collection Retrospective  (Read 940 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Collection Retrospective
« on: 12 April 2021, 00:46:11 »
So after someone around here asked for a retrospective walk through my collection (hi WT  ;) ), I decided to go for it.  In the process of this, I've had to groan at some of my early picture taking.  Some are not so good.  But like my painting, it has improved with the advice and help from several folks around here (and to all, thank you!), so I will be including old and new photos.

With that said, this walkthrough will be though my fully completed units only.  No one offs or such.  I'll try to get it all done in a week or less.  ;D

To start, we have my first full painted company I did.  Showing my Fed Suns colors, I went with the 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry.  And yes they are a little on the heavy side, but they are the command company.  The main 12 were done a while ago.  Since then another Mech lance has been added, along with the aerospace and armor.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2021, 00:56:45 by Valkerie »
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Collection Retrospective
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2021, 00:55:09 »
Next up is my one and only full battalion: the Illician Lancers, 9th Rangers.  I did these completely out of the the old Alpha Strike lance packs.  They were also a grand experiment as I messed around with different techniques while painting them.  Thusly, they look a bit varied.  They still get plenty of table time though.

More to come tomorrow!
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Kerfuffin(925)

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2021, 02:43:45 »
I love seeing large formations like this. Very cool and nicely done.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2021, 03:14:55 »
I still love those Armoured Cavalry; so clean, and the whites came up so well! I still cheat on whites ...

(grabs popcorn)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2021, 15:41:21 »
 :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2021, 00:55:38 »
And we're back for round two.  Next up in the walk down memory lane, the 1st Marik Militia.  This group is a bit of an odd duck.  I played around with the scheme in 2016 on a Grant Titan "Vengeance" and a Zeus.  While I got the colors (kind of) right, it didn't look that great and I moved on.  Year and a half later I come back to it after painting the Fed Suns and the Lancers.  With all the help and advice I'd received, I tackled the scheme again.  It is now one of my favorite schemes to paint.

With the Grand Titan and Zeus still kicking around, and my move to reinforced companies, I finally threw in a Kickstarter Awesome and a Stalker II to fill out the lance.  The Stalker II is still in progress.  ;)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2021, 09:30:53 »
After the Marik Militia was done, I moved on to the 3rd Ceti Hussars.  This time I made use of the step by step painting tutorial that came with the 2015 box set.  A little different from my previous three units.  Those all involved a lot of drybrushing.  The walkthrough didn't use that technique at all, so I didn't either.  Also, this is on of my few units that has no assault mechs in it.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2021, 09:39:32 »
After four Inner Sphere units, I went with the Clans for the next one.  Clan Wolf Beta Galaxy.  This is where all my messing around with the Lancers tan color paid off.  Had a good feel for it, and I'm still very happy with how this scheme came out.  Put some extra time into the Warhawk to make the barrels really pop.

MarauderD

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2021, 11:36:36 »
Really good stuff, love the unit by unit aspect of these posts!   :thumbsup:

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2021, 10:37:48 »
Nice job
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships Now. 500 looks like it will stay for a long time.

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2021, 13:45:44 »
well done :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2021, 23:52:08 »
Thanks all!

After the Wolves were done, I set to finish a group I didn't really know I had started.  When I came back to BT in 2015 and really got to painting, I painted a lance from my first IWM purchase to match the mechs on the cover of TRO 3145: Mercs.  Didn't notice the Wolf's Dragoons logos, just liked the color scheme.  About a year later I figured out what I had copied, and decided to fill out the unit.  They were done at different times, so there are differences in how they look.  I also decided to include some of the most Dragoon mechs as possible, goofy as the may be.  ;D

The primitive Shadow Hawk was bought and modded to be a standard Shadow Hawk.  The new Shadow Hawk showed up for ordering about two weeks after I got the primitive, and it was added.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2021, 09:32:23 »
Similar to the Dragoons above, my 1st Sword of Light unit started as just a lance.  So after the Dragoons were done, I decided to build up the Kurita uint as well.  This time I followed the painting guide provided with Combat Manual: Kurita.  Thus the reaming units of the company look very different than the first lance (and a whole lot better).  That first lance is still a part of the unit though and often acts as the command lance for the company.

I added the new Wolverine after the new box sets came out.  I swap the two Wolverines around depending on what variant I'm using.

With three House units done, I figured, why not do one unit from each House?  Only had the Lyrans and the Cappies left.

MarauderD

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2021, 09:47:46 »
Good looking Sword of Light company!  Funny thing is even with all those mechs, the thing that makes me think "Oh HELL no" is the four Shcrek PPC carriers in front.  I wouldn't want to come within 18 hexes of that formation.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2021, 10:59:34 by MarauderD »

Mecha82

• Major
  • Honor the Dragon
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2021, 16:20:10 »
Very nice. :thumbsup:
Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Star Captain John Jorgensson, 73rd Battle Cluster (The Lash), Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear

Some things never change.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2021, 21:15:34 »
Before the next House unit got done, I did the the home merc unit, Halo Division.  Added a new lance from the Kicstarter that will be the beginning of a second company (the guys in green.)  Originally painted for my stepson to play with, I've since adopted them as his interest in the game has dropped.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2021, 21:23:12 »
Shortly after the Halo Division, I went to work on my Lyran 1st Royal Guards unit.  The fourth entry into the House armies, it was a bit more challenging.  Painting the gold sections, so that they at least sort of lined up, was difficult.  Many mistakes were made.  :facepalm:  But in the end, they came together well.

After the new box sets came out, I added the Battlemaster, Griffin, Commando, and Locust.

And for those of you who thought the Shrecks were scary, I give you four Alacorn Mark VI Heavy Tanks.  >:D

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2021, 21:37:54 »
Last one for today.  Before venturing on to a Capellan unit to finish off the Houses, I returned to the Clans and tackled the Jade Falcon's Delta Galaxy.  Had to have someone for the Wolves to beat up on.   ;)

As expected, getting the yellow done was a challenge.  Still a color I find very difficult to work with.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #18 on: 17 April 2021, 22:44:08 »
With only two units left, it's time to wrap this up.  These last two were both finished this past year.  First was my final entry for the Five Houses.  For the Cappellan Confederation I did Warrior House Ma-Tsu Kai.  Getting the ivory sections right was a bit of a challenge.  The Demolishers paid the price for that has they were what I experimented with before tackling the mechs.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #19 on: 17 April 2021, 22:51:19 »
And the last fully painted unit, a return to mercenaries: the First Marik Protectors.  Their scheme hasn't been done by Camospecs yet, so this was my best guess based on the description from their Spotlight On.  Lineup is a bit odd as they're made up from what I had laying around at the time.

So there you have it.  All my fully completed units.  It's been fun, and I'm not stopping anytime soon.  Currently working a combined arms unit from the Hastati Sentinels.  Felt it was time to add some Republic of the Sphere forces.

Thanks for viewing and thanks to all for the comments.  Hope you enjoyed the show.  :) :popcorn:

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 18 April 2021, 08:22:56 »
Amazing work, Valkerie! You have a great collection, it's a treat seeing it all in one place and hearing about your painting journey. I  can't wait to see more on and off the battlefield.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #21 on: 18 April 2021, 09:49:53 »
Excellent work all around, but I have to say I prefer the group shots on the map boards.  That definitely gives a better feel for what they look like "in action", and the steps give a better view of the 'mechs in the back.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #22 on: 18 April 2021, 15:42:33 »
Excellent work all around, but I have to say I prefer the group shots on the map boards.  That definitely gives a better feel for what they look like "in action", and the steps give a better view of the 'mechs in the back.
I hadn't really thought of it that way.  I'll keep that mind.  Thanks for that suggestion.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #23 on: 18 April 2021, 15:44:51 »
You're very welcome!  I look forward to seeing more of your work!  :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #24 on: 19 April 2021, 03:33:05 »
I go away for the weekend, and you dump this lot!

The green Halo Division are still my absolute favourites, and that's saying a lot over the Gamma WD & Sword of Lights. And the Ma-Tsu Kai ivory works so well!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #25 on: 22 April 2021, 09:00:04 »
I'm loving seeing so many of my sculpts in here:  Catapult C2, Catapult 2, Cougar Resculpt, Hellspawn Resculpt, Chimera Resculpt, Centurion Resculpt.  How did you like those minis?

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2021, 10:01:49 »
I'm loving seeing so many of my sculpts in here:  Catapult C2, Catapult 2, Cougar Resculpt, Hellspawn Resculpt, Chimera Resculpt, Centurion Resculpt.  How did you like those minis?
Absolutely love them.  I did not find any of them overly difficult to assemble, and I felt you could do a fair amount of poses without having to mod them.  Details on them made them a joy to paint.

Hellspawn and Chimera take me straight back to MW4.  Great job and thanks for giving us those resculpts!  :thumbsup: 8)

MarauderD

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 22 April 2021, 11:22:23 »
Nice work.  For the record, a lance of 4 Alacorns isn't scary, it's absurd!  "Send in the infantry" screamed the mech company commander!

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #28 on: 23 April 2021, 23:31:08 »
Absolutely love them.  I did not find any of them overly difficult to assemble, and I felt you could do a fair amount of poses without having to mod them.  Details on them made them a joy to paint.

Hellspawn and Chimera take me straight back to MW4.  Great job and thanks for giving us those resculpts!  :thumbsup: 8)

Awesome! I'm glad.  And thank you!

The Original IWM Hellspawn and Chimera made me upset because they looked so wonky compared to the MW4 versions.  I HAD to correct that.

avon1985

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 30 April 2021, 19:31:41 »
WOW! all those are really sweet! :thumbsup:

Register