Register Register

Author Topic: Combined Arms Battalion, 21st Centauri "Shadow" Lancers, 3058 ...  (Read 970 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
"... And that is the news for today, 28th February 3058. We now cut to British Broadcasting Comstar special coverage of the presentation of the colours by the 21st Centauri Lancers, at Royal Military Academy, Sandurst. We hand over to our commentary team, Michael Bruce and Fiona Aspel."

<short pause>

"Hello, good afternoon, I'm Fiona Aspel, and I'm here with my colleague Michael Bruce for a very special even, the Presentation of the Colours, here at Sandhurst. it's a glorious day, 16 degrees and the rain's held off. The parade route is packed - not only are there official parties from different elements of the Com Guard here to welcome their new partners officially, but the families of dependants, and even those of on-base civilian workers, have been given permission to attend this august occasion. The parade route, and of course the parade ground, are surrounded by well-wishers"

"And someone's been distributing ribbons and rosettes - blue and white, white of course for the Com Guard, and blue for the Lancers."

"Thanks for that, Michael. Can you please explain to our listeners exactly what's happening, and why exactly it's so special?"

"Thank you, Fiona. As many of you know, the Blessed Order has relied on honourable and experienced mercenary units to help protect Terra, since the 4th Succession War. Brion's Legion served as both a security and training force, working closely with the Com Guard since 3029. But the Legion has now sought new contracts outside of ComStar."

"Why do you think Brion's Legion did that, Michael?"

"It's a good question, with no definite answer. Some might say their CO, Colonel Octavius Brion, felt stifled under Com Guard control. Others point to the significant increases in the value of mercenary contracts, particularly in the so-called Chaos March following recent events. My personal guess? Colonel Brion wanted to get back into combat. The Legion's role didn't provide much actual testing in the crucible of combat, and for many living life as mercenaries, this is the only way to test themselves, and learn."

"Thanks for that, Michael. I'd just like to provide a little background on the good people replacing Brion's Legion, the 21st Centauri Lancers. I think you'd agree, Michael, that the 21st Centauri Lancers are one of the foremost mercenary units in the Inner Sphere, with a reputation for honesty and loyalty. With the ability to gain contracts with that reputaion, why have they signed on with ComStar?"

"Simple, Fiona. The Lancers were employed by the Free Worlds League for the last 30 years, where they served well - but underwent hard combat. They drove rebel units off New Olympia during Anton Marik's revolt. More recently, they were loaned to the Capellan Confederation during what's become known as "Operation Guerrero" aiding McCarron's Armored Cavalry during the retaking of Hsien, captured by the Federated Commonwealth during the 4th War. They took a lot of damage in that operation, Fiona - and may have lost some trust in the Captain-General in the process. Either way, with the Lancers looking to move on, and with the need to replace Brion's Legion, everything fell into place. The 21st Centauri Lancers have used their initial payments to repair and replace a lot of damaged equipment, and we'll be seeing some of that today."

"Exactly, Michael. The unit we'll be seeing today is a commbined-arms battalion. There will be 'Mechs from 2nd Battalion 2nd Company - "Nayan's Narwhals", a company of armour from the 2nd Assault Company, and battle-armour from the Security Lancers battalions. They're making a special appearance at Sandhurst today - the main unit is in the Americas, out of their Bowling Green base in Kentucky, NorAm. Major Nayanm, the battalion CO, is descended from Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, who helped fund major rebuilding of the Academy following the damage caused when the Soviet Civil War boiled over. Major Nayan has brought with him a piece of the national flag from the "United Arab Emirates", one of the Burned states from that era, which will be hosted in the Academy's museum while the Narwhals are based here."

"Sorry to cut in, Fiona, but the 21st Centauri Lancers units - Nayan's Narwhals - are just coming into view. And I've just been told that the Narwhals are making a special statement here. Unlike Brion's Legion, who retained standard Inner Sphere organisation during their tenure, the Narwhals have drawn on the old mercenary custom of "demi-companies" - organising their 'Mechs and armour in 6-unit groups, not the standard 4 unit lances or platoons. This is, we're told, a mark of respect to the Com Guard's new organisation, under Precentor Martial Focht. Apparently the Narwhals intend to adopt our Level II organisation on an ongoing basis. And here's the first unit - can you call them out, Fiona?"

"And here they are, in the 21st Centauri Lancers' traditional all-blue colours. This is the Narwhal's recon lance - sorry, recon demi-company.

"From nearest to furthest, we have a Phoenix Hawk 3M, Shadow Hawk5S, Stinger 5M, Wasp 3M, Spider 5V, and Valkyrie QA. They're followed by the Command Company ..."

"And very impressive it is, too, Michael. That's an Archer 4M, followed by a Victor 9B, Battlemaster 3M, Marauder 5M, Rifleman 5M, and Warhammer 6R. Which one do you think is Major Nayan's 'Mech?"

"From the notes I have, the Marauder is the Major's; given the Marauder's long history as a premium commanders 'Mech', that's not too surprising. Note how there's a lot of new or upgraded equipment - a lot from Free Worlds League origin too. Curious given their departure from League service?"

"Not too surprising, Michael. The League is, as you know, more than happy supplying the mercenary market as a whole, and the Lancers have access to plenty of potential suppliers."

"Now here comes the Security Lancers detatchment. And interestingly, they've also organised their battle-armour into two squads of six suits - the venerable Inner Sphere Standard suits - which fit just as comfortably in their Maxim transports, which I presume are the new-model Infantry versions, capable of carrying three squads of BA under normal circumstances - and of course 3 lots of four works as well as 2 lots of six.  And now their heavy armour is coming into view ..."

"What we're seeïng here, Michael, are four Manticore tanks, supported by two Partisan anti-aircraft tanks. That would be a hard nut to crack, and can do plenty of tracking in it's own case. And I've been told the armour's camoflague scheme - the Lancers reserve their trademark blue colours for 'Mechs and battle armour - is based on another artifact of the Soviet Civil War. The armour commander is descended from people who fled the old Soviet territory of Belorussia, and the tanks are painted in a Belorussian scheme from that period.

"And lastly, what must surely be an assault formation - four Schrek PPC Carriers, again supported by two Partisan tanks, making up their demi-company."

"Now the 'Mechs have reached the parade ground, and the Maxims are drawing up behind them. The battle-armour appear to be performing tricks- tumbling and jumping, for the amusement of the spectators. The armour are passing the reviewing stand, and - oh, I wasn't expecting that! The Partisans are elevating their guns. And yes, they're turning them towards the reviewing stand. The other tanks are still pointing their turrets straight ahead. Do you think it's some kind of salute?"

<transmission ends suddenly>

So! Another brick in the Grand Plan falls into place.  Needed another Clan Invasion unit, and the 21st Centauri Lancers hit the spot.

Painting the 'Mechs was straightforward:

- Based in midnight blue
- Drybrushed French blue (aka Ultramarine blue)
- Added some shadow grey highlights. The plain blue didn't suit.
- Black then drybrushed metallics for metal
- Tried a bunch of colours for the cockpits, but only red worked.

The armour was olive drab base, light grey stripes, dark grey borders, metallics, then washed with Nuln Oil.

12th unit painted for 2021, #85 since I started this descent into madness in 2012.

Comments/questions/critiques welcomed as always!
« Last Edit: 28 December 2021, 17:15:04 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Combined Arms Battalion, 21st Centauri Lancers, 3058 ...
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2021, 08:06:12 »
 :thumbsup:

Legendkiller30

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2021, 09:29:10 »
Great job! The red cockpits were definitely the right choice.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2021, 10:43:25 »
Very Noice - loving the Base Details for the 'Mechs!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

avon1985

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2021, 12:32:03 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2021, 13:38:00 »
So ... no-one got the Easter Egg yet? Hint - it's in the text, not the photos.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2021, 13:47:02 »
I don't know if it qualifies as an easter egg, but I like that the Lancers are organized into WoB size formations and are clearly about to start the conquest of Terra for the Word of Blake as they point their AA guns at the ComStar stands.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2021, 14:01:02 »
 :thumbsup:

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2021, 14:42:08 »
Cool as usual!

Are the battle armor MWDA figures?

Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Re: Combined Arms Battalion, 21st Centauri "Shadow" Lancers, 3058 ...
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2021, 15:11:53 »
Yup! Most of the DA BA work well with 'Mechs. They don't scale well with IWM infantry or BA, but I have lots of DA infantry & BA ...

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2021, 15:31:53 »
Great Job
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships just passed the 566 Battlemechs I now own.

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2021, 16:37:13 »
216 degrees is rather warm for the UK...

Beautiful work and I love the bases!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2021, 17:20:02 »
So the basing was an experiment, which worked out well!

I was inspired by SchwerpunktPrinzip's basing for his Night of Screams Death Commandos, which was an attack on a starport. Of course, Schwer being Schwer, he hand-painted all the runway markings. And I wasn't going to do that.

So once the minis were painted, I removed them all from their bases, filed down any irregularities, and gave them a flat grey base, which I then put a coat of varnish on. Then I used some masking tape and marked off some areas, and did them black. Tidied up the edges where removing the tape pulled up some paint ...   :( - next time I'll varnish after the black.

And then, the finishing touches ... model kit decals 30-40 years old, mainly from Macross Valkyrie kits, ironically enough! The trick is "less is more" - just enough to provide highlights, not too much.

So, yes, pretty happy with the result! A nice change.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2021, 17:21:06 »
216 degrees is rather warm for the UK...

Not in Kelvin?  ;D Typo fixed  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2021, 17:43:11 »
Love the end of the transmission :)
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2021, 11:53:51 »
I don't know if it qualifies as an easter egg, but I like that the Lancers are organized into WoB size formations and are clearly about to start the conquest of Terra for the Word of Blake as they point their AA guns at the ComStar stands.

wait ... I saw that too (well read it, but whatever) ...were the Lancers working for WoB or was this another WoB plant?

great paint jobs, but the fluff was awesome!
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2021, 12:56:10 »
When WoB heard that ComStar was hiring the Lancers, they basically found the Lancers' dependants and took control of where they were. The Lancers leadership were told "Sit still, stay quiet, don't move for 6 months (or long enough)", while they rapidly painted appropriate-looking 'Mechs blue. The "Shadow Lancers" who landed on Terra were all WoB.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2021, 14:29:34 »
We hand over to our commentary team, Michael Bruce and Fiona Aspel."

Heh. Nicely done!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • In mourning
« Reply #18 on: 29 December 2021, 16:52:57 »
Good work. The miniatures are good looking. The camo on the tanks is very nice. The text is also very good. Well done!
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 29 December 2021, 22:19:15 »
Heh. Nicely done!

Well, some might call me an antique ...

Xan

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 30 December 2021, 00:24:37 »
Great looking models!  Sure to ruin any Comguards day.  Great use of the decals, they looked like they were painted on, I would not of thought decals if you hadn't said anything.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #21 on: 30 December 2021, 08:22:26 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

DEZOAT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 01 January 2022, 08:38:23 »
 :o :o :o 8) 8) 8) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: WOW!!! I'll say this GREAT JOB ON THE MINIS!!! Thanks for the pics.

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2022, 22:08:36 »
Magnificent work on everything, but the vehicle camouflage and basing, in particular!  :clap:
Twitter: @schwrpnktprnzp