Register Register

Author Topic: Come along while I paint a company of Waco Rangers. (12/12 NEW PICS!)  (Read 4063 times)

2500kgm3

• Private
  • Waco Rangers enthusiast
In commemoration of the upcoming Battletech Mercenaries Kickstarter, I'm going to paint a company of Waco Rangers.

Why Waco Rangers? Because someone has to keep the sanity through the upcoming deluge of miniatures painted in Wolf's Dragoons colors from the Mercs Kickstarter.

Fortunately, I like both teasing my Wolf loving playing group, and enjoy playing narcissistic, hypocritical villains. And since I've already painted 5 stars of Jade Falcons and a Nikolai Malthus summoner, this is the logical next step xD

I hope to be able to paint at a rate of one miniature per week or so. Hopefully less for lights, unfortunately more for assaults. My goal is to be updating the thread with more miniatures as I go, creating a sort of mini-blog

I don't use decals, since I'm deadly afraid of messing up with the liquids required and ending up with a bad placed  or wrinkled insignia. Therefore all my insignias will be freehanded to the best of my abilities.

I decided to start with a Wolverine, just because If I messed up, I had a spare one xP

Will I be able to finish documenting the painting of the 12 miniatures in this thread? Will I be too stressed by real life to properly update it? Who knows! Tune again soon! Same Waco-Time, Same Waco-Channel!
« Last Edit: 22 August 2022, 09:44:13 by 2500kgm3 »

MarauderD

• Major
Nice scheme and colors.  Love it.   :thumbsup:

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
Yup you messed that one up. Let me send you my 55 Inner Sphere mechs to practice on. I'll even send the paint you can use. Just send the miniatures back when you are done honing your skills.

8)

Nice work. Even if I do despise the Rangers. I'm not even a big WD fan. I just don't like narcissistic hypocritical villains.  >:D

I'm just about done with my Trinary of Star Adders, cause I dig pragmatists that masquerade as idealists until they can murder their allies.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
Very nice. :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Why Waco Rangers? Because someone has to keep the sanity through the upcoming deluge of miniatures painted in Wolf's Dragoons colors from the Mercs Kickstarter.
Are you sure you meant to use "sanity" and "Waco Rangers" in the same sentence? Without "lost their" preceding it?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Excellent work regardless!  I hope you make it through all 12!  :thumbsup:

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
I loke the wacos better than the wolves as well. Except for their obsession with the pups they were regarded as an effective and professional fighting force for 99% of their history, so do not make their ending fool you.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Mech and base look excellent.  Look forward to seeing the project unfold.  8) :thumbsup:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

avon1985

• Captain
Sweet! :thumbsup:

2500kgm3

• Private
Thanks a lot for your encouragement!

Are you sure you meant to use "sanity" and "Waco Rangers" in the same sentence? Without "lost their" preceding it?

It's not me who is insane. It's all of you, Dragoon worshipers! You're all being fed lies by BigHPGs! The Dragoons have Comstar in their pocket! They are not even human, but puppets from reptilian aliens from beyond the deep periphery! They are watching us! Reporting on us to their reptilian overlords! They will kill us all! OPEN YOUR EYES! WAKE UP, INNER SPHERE! NO... KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY TINFOIL HAT!!!

Nice work. Even if I do despise the Rangers. I'm not even a big WD fan. I just don't like narcissistic hypocritical villains.  >:D

Oh, you're missing out on so much fun!

- - -

Ok... time to add the second mech to the company! Last time we painted our first mech, Ikito Senmai's Wolverine. Now, it's time for sergeant Giles Jefferson's Awesome!

The SMALL Waco logo in the upper left leg was intended as practice for freehanding such a thing on light mechs. I'm now extremely afraid I will not be able to duplicate it at all xD

Here are both mechs together

Finally, I decided to take some pics of them in the wild too, outside the hangar:

Next... I'll try my hand at something lighter and see how I do!

StCptMara

• Major
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
What colours did you use for the Ranger khaki/tan?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
I would say she is awesome, but then she is. An awesome awesome is a squared awesome? Conceptual problems you only get in BT.

2500kgm3

• Private
What colours did you use for the Ranger khaki/tan?

From Vallejo:

Light Brown Stripes

Base: Green brown 114
Layer: Green ochre 119
Edge: Dark Sand 123
Corner: Pale Sand 007

Dark Brown Stripes

Base: Flat Earth 143
Layer: US Field Drab 142
Edge: Brown Sand 132
Corner: Desert Yellow 125

Rust

Base: Chocolate brown 149
Layer: Cavalry brown 137
Edge: Red leather 136
Corner: Amarantha red 130

MarauderD

• Major
Loving the thread and looking forward to more Rangers.  Kudos!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Another fine 'mech!  :thumbsup:

2500kgm3

• Private
After another week, Sergeant "Mad Jack" Livermore's Stinger is reporting for duty!

I'm liking the idea of freehanding two Waco Rangers insignias per mech, so they can be seen in more than a single angle.

I'll have a full lance by next week! That's exciting!

It will be a heavy mech ro round up the lance. I'm considering which mechs to prioritize for the next lance... I'm thinking I should fast track a Phoenix Hawk, in case I get to game sometime soon.

I'm also having second thoughts on having both a wasp and a stinger as 2 of my 3 light mechs in the company, being the third one an Urbie. They don't stand out as very capable machines in either mech to mech combat, or recon duties, given the speed. What do you think?

MarauderD

• Major
Nice! :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
More excellent work!  :thumbsup:

As far as your light 'mechs, yes a Wasp AND a Stinger is a bit of overkill.  Maybe check out some of the variants?  A Super Stinger (3G) isn't too bad...  ^-^

Luciora

• Major
6/9/6 was the average scout speed for the succession wars.  Maybe add in a Phoenix Hawk?  We do know the composition of Waco's Company as well, hence my take on the command lance.

Yours look great as well too!

(Not a fan of them either, but yeah agree with the Dragoons overkill, even though I have another lance and a half on my workbench  ;D)

EvanD

• Recruit
Look great!

2500kgm3

• Private

A Phoenix Hawk was part of the plan, yes!

- - -

And here it comes! Willi "Whiner" James' Orion!

Since it's my 4th Waco Rangers mech, we just completed a lance, so time for a group shot! We're 33% done!

And here they are on the table!

I just noticed the Waco Rangers Command Lance has a Wasp, and the stinger is already painted as a Waco Ranger, so I guess I'm stuck with both of them xD

I plan to have a game with this lance next week. I hope everything goes well!
« Last Edit: 31 May 2022, 00:19:07 by 2500kgm3 »

Louie N

• Lieutenant
Fantastic

avon1985

• Captain
Really sweet they all look fantastic!   :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Magnificent!  :thumbsup:

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
that's a fun approach to yellows, but let's not discount the unique custom basing!
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

2500kgm3

• Private
And here it is: the Phoenix Hawk of lieutenant N.C. Nathaniel!

It's the first mech of my second lance!

Next... Maybe Wayne Waco himself?

MarauderD

• Major
Nice work on the Pixie, looking forward to more from you!

Louie N

• Lieutenant
Nice work on the PH.  Keep them coming

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Gorgeous P-Hawk!  :thumbsup: