Register Register

Author Topic: Flaccid Dorsal Guns  (Read 471 times)

holyspook

• Recruit
Flaccid Dorsal Guns
« on: 22 September 2022, 09:19:27 »
So after a few months in a foam lined case on the shelf, I discovered all of the dorsal guns from Marauders to Behemoths, bent down. I pulled them from that case and they're awaiting paint and alternative storage, but any tips for getting them straightened out?

CVB

• Captain
Re: Flaccid Dorsal Guns
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2022, 09:38:26 »
Apply some blue pills? :P
More seriously, metal or plastic minis?
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2022, 10:31:44 »
when I would have to move, I would take my Master Grade Gundam kits and and secure them, one each, to a piece of cardboard, with twisty ties(https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Spools-Twist-Wire-Cutters/dp/B0060NMRSY).  First I would remove any backpack or other large parts, and use the twisty ties on the waist, legs and between the arm and shoulder, making sure that all the pressure was on chunky parts of the model. Then I put that cardboard sheet into a larger box, such that it was a snug fit, and wouldn't move around.   Hasn't failed me yet.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Cat

• Corporal
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2022, 10:39:59 »
I have a couple of FASA 3rd ed plastic Marauders; long ago replaced the bendy plastic barrels with brass tubes.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2022, 12:41:20 »
Hot water applied to the bent area usually straightens plastic.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
  • and let slip the dogs of war
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2022, 13:47:25 »
Yes. Hot as in boiling. Dunk the plastic barrel. Carefully bend it straight with an instrument (small pliers or similar). Then hold until it cools significantly. 
"We ask not your counsels or arms..."

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2022, 14:07:14 »
And use an appropriate tool and most of all waterproof heat resistant gloves when using boiling fluids. Steam can cause nasty burns, too!
There is also a wide assortment of turned brass barrels from the ship model add-on industry to be used as replacement parts.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

RazorclawXLS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2022, 17:30:48 »
 used boiling water to straighten out the barrel on my Marauder (from the Command lance) THREE times, and it would return back to being bent on it's own each time. So I cut it off, drilled it down to 2/3 of the length and inserted a paper clip wire, which I then pinned to the gun base. Hasn't changed shape ever since (it's been more than a year now).

What the most important question is, if the barrels weren't bent before the mechs were stored in the foam box, how were the barrels bent?

Something doesn't add up for me here. There shouldn't be a reason for barrels to get bent out of shape, unless there was constant pressure applied while in the box.

OP, can you confirm that there is enough clearance in the box, when it is closed?
« Last Edit: 23 September 2022, 17:32:25 by RazorclawXLS »

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2815
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2022, 19:09:49 »
I actually use a hairdryer to straighten-out bent plastic bits, then immediately dunk the offending piece under cold water with some pretty good results. Plus, it decreases the chances of being scalded by a good deal. 
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2022, 19:14:47 »
That sounds like a good idea!  :thumbsup:

holyspook

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2022, 23:02:08 »
Thank you everyone for the pointers!

As for the question regarding pressure in the box, I thought it was clear and secure but not too tight, but looking at the witness maths e on the outer foam layers, I would be incorrect.

RazorclawXLS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2022, 03:07:58 »
@holyspook

Do the boiling water method definitely, it works most of the time. I used it on my Shadow Hawks from the AGOAC boxsets, and I didn't have any issues with them 2+ years on.

But be sure to leave the mini untouched for a week (maybe even more of a time period if you are willing to wait), and then check if the barrel has returned back to bent shape. That is what happened to my Marauder. For a couple or more days everything would seem fine, but I would check at about 1 week mark, and I would notice that the barrel has bent back, if not to the original position, it has started bending on it's own noticeably.