Register Register

Author Topic: Get me some Ice Hellions with attitude - return of the Ice Hellion Gauss Squad!  (Read 900 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
So I originally modded & painted these minis up in (checks the records ...) 2011! They were all Gauss Rifle variants, you know, the typical ones with one ton of gauss ammo and four tons of AMS ammo ... specifically the Nova C, Gladiator B, Timber Wolf B, Highlander IIC, and Mad Dog C. They were in a white scheme with blue details, just felt Ice Hellion-ish to me.

So I've decided to bolster this ad-hoc Star to something bigger - a binary of 'Mechs, and a Flurry Trinary (Star of light hovers, two Stars of second-line infantry). And it just happens that  Zeta Prime Galaxy - a second-line Galaxy, but best described as "Freebirth Fanatics"- use a white base with purple and blue highlights. So I took a look at my 10-year-old painting work, and realised it needed a freshening up. The old white had yellowed, there were things worth cleaning up, and of course some purple to be added.

So, without much further ado ... the Hellion Gauss Squad rides again!

The trick, of course, is going to be replicating the look - lots of white drybrush over a blue base, it'll be. But I'm happy with them, and goiven the unit, slightly unkempt will do just fine.

Comments/etc welcomed, as always!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
Pretty.  I like the scheme,  just not a hellions fan  ;D

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
So I did start as Davionista, off the Warrior Trilogy, but I got better. Smoke Jaguar! Then Free Worlds League. Then Ice Hellion. Then Word of Blake. Then Jade Falcon. Seeing a trend?

And it's going to be a very non-Hellion Hellion unit; the omnis get a Summoner A (because I had the parts), and the Highlander IIC gets a Stone Rhino, Arctic Wolf, Ursus, and Predator.  Figure this is the Galaxy command Binary, with 'dumping ground' for heavier units.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
Twitter: @schwrpnktprnzp

Xan

• Sergeant
Those look great!  I really like the Nova, as I have a soft spot for the old body style.  Can you walk thru the modding process?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
IIRC, the two feet were on the base. I used my Stanley knife - which other have called a carpet cutter - to slice the foot off the base. It took a while; firm but not excessive pressure, the blade slides under the foot, and you don't lose material like you would from a razor saw.

Once that was loose, fixed the other leg to the remaining foot on the base, and when firm attached the torso to it. The loose foot went on the other leg, which then got pulled back for a running pose like the intro to MechWarrior:GBL.

The GR is off a plastic MW:DA Crimson Hawk, with the front edge cut off and a small styrene ring added for the barrel. The lower arm was sliced off the upper arm, and it's pretty obvious how they went together.

Hope that helps!

Xan

• Sergeant
Thank you!

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
Very nice. :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

avon1985

• Captain

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Your mods are always fun to see. 

And, paint makes everything look better.

:thumbsup:
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics