Register Register

Author Topic: Has the new mech artwork and mini's based on that art helped revitalize the game  (Read 810 times)

Weirdguy

• Sergeant
Lets be honest.  Iconic or not, a lot of the old artwork for BattleTech was...not good.

Hell, some mechs were downright hideous.  I'm looking at the old Ostroc.  The old one with paddle hands that didn't even match the weapon loadout.  Yet, the new art works well now.

I love the new stuff from Flying Debris (Alex Inglacias) and Shimmering Sword, as well as a few others.

I finally feel like the miniatures are good, and so is the art they're based on in the first place.

« Last Edit: 23 May 2022, 01:08:33 by Weirdguy »

petrov27

• Recruit
I feel like certainly yes this has helped? It certainly helped me open my pocketbook (open it wide indeed) to purchase the KS and other new stuff where I had not bought much in years.

On that note, I would purchase instantly any revised TRO with all the new designs and art replacing the old as well as any books using the new art to show unit colors etc.

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
Absolutely. This should not be understated.

I mean, Battletech has had plenty of amazing artwork in the past, but specifically the miniatures and 'Mech art have been so-so. They aren't anymore and the results are in.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2022, 08:07:45 by GoGo Yubari »

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

2500kgm3

• Private
  • Waco Rangers enthusiast
That's the reason I'm here now, while I wasn't considering battletech at all as an option 15 years ago

MarauderD

• Major
I can be a bit of grognard, EXCEPT where it comes to the new art.  I absolutely fricking love it.  Better than the unseen by miles for me.  I'm enjoying the hell out of this period, bought about 200 some odd minis, and actually painting them myself.  Great time to be a BattleTech fan. 

Mrs. Esterhouse

• Private
That's the reason I'm here now, while I wasn't considering battletech at all as an option 15 years ago

Exactly same as me only 30 years ago!
“As long as there’s, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock’n’roll.”

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Allot of people are very defensive regarding the Old artwork as many of the loudest players play for nostalgia, are very invested because of that and seem to take any sign of criticism as a personal attack on their childhood memories.

One thing to understand; each persons taste is their own and TPTB even went as far as to say the old minis is just as valid as the new to hammer that in.

That said, in my own personal opinion; yeah, the new artwork made possible by the KickStarter was very much needed and one of the best things to happen to the game as of late. Fasa era are was becoming more dated it was clear some TROs were more about quantity vs quality as getting books on the shelves was their winning strategy at the time that no longer applies in a age where a good number of use use tablets and you are competing for attentions with other companies who spend allot of money on presentation. I'm not a mini guy per say, I don't need everything to be to scale but the artwork was defiantly needed so you had a damn good image when telling your story in game.           
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

avon1985

• Captain
Having been playing Battletech since 1986 I have to say I was very nervous when I first heard about the redesigning of the classic mechs.  Many of those mechs were my favorites and having seen so many companies remake there games every few years I was unsure about what the future would hold for so many of my favorite mechs.  That said once the designs started to come out I personally was very pleased,  I think almost every redesign has been a vast improvement while at the same time keeping the Mechs looking like the original.  I think Mechs like the Locust are even better than the original and the miniatures themselves are better scaled so that a light mech looks like a light mech when compared to an Assault mech. 

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: New sculpts and being able to obtain those from LGS has really helped to revitalize things. After all before this one could only get miniatures by ordering them from IWM (in US) or from Pal Partha Europe (UK and EU) and those were always metal instead of being plastic. And yeah new art does also help. 
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Weirdguy

• Sergeant
I’ve never owned a BattleTech mini until a few weeks ago.  Now I am about to own a battalion of Inner Sphere mechs.  Along with that are a handful of Comstar and Clan mechs I have no use for as I play in 2950, the middle of the 3rd Succession War. 

Up until now I’ve just made cardstock standees using a cut up cereal box and a fine tip sharpie. 

I was honestly unimpressed by the majority of minis on offer.  It’s only been the new artwork and resin minis that changed my mind.  I even comment on other forums that BT is a game worth buying.   I wouldn’t have bothered before. 

It’s all because of art. 

pheonixstorm

• Major
Those ComStar mechs are Star League designs and can still be found (if rarely) in House armies, so really the only ones you wouldn't use in 2950 are Clan units.

Weirdguy

• Sergeant
Those ComStar mechs are Star League designs and can still be found (if rarely) in House armies, so really the only ones you wouldn't use in 2950 are Clan units.

Somewhat.

I have a Raven, which is a NEW mech from 3039 from The Capellan Confederation.

The Hatchetman, which was brand new in 3023.

The Annihilator, which was exclusive to the Clans, and specifically introduced with the Wolf's Dragoons, who had it built locally in the Inner Sphere in 3048.

A pair of Exterminators, which I could use, but I prefer 3025 tech level.  The official lore is that the only time the Exterminator was built in normal, introductory/level-1/3025 tech was a brief stint in 3007.

Anyways, I could just ignore all of that and use them anyways.  Technically, they are regular, 3025 tech variants of them all, but I would need to be playing in 3025-3039 era, just before LosTech was rediscovered.

I just can't bring myself to do that, so I bought a pair of boxed sets to fill out my ranks to get to the magic number of 40 Inner Sphere Introductory/Tech Level-1 stuff. 

Again, my prefered year to play is smack-dab right in the middle of the 3rd Succession War.  2950 AD.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2022, 12:01:01 by Weirdguy »

pheonixstorm

• Major
Based on lore though you could still use the Exterminator 4A to represent a downgraded 4D. The 4C and 4Db would not be so lucky. The first three you mentioned... Does your game have time travel?? lol

Back on topic though, a lot of old SLDF units as well as advanced House units survived centuries after and as tech went extinct the old equipment was either replacement due to lack of parts or destruction on the battlefield.

As for preferred year, I like to play around mid/late 2300s from time to time, just wish there were more units available.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
TLDR  - Yes they did.

Longer version.

Behold. The angry hamburger

Or the smiling plimpsol

The old art is often held as being iconic and it is, but we must also recognise that it is just that. Old. The old arts quality tended to vary often wildly, along with the associated models between okay and ****** terrible.

The Imp for example looks bloody absurd, there was that series of mechs that were a collection of spheres and ovoids moving in close formation (the osts, the Hornet, Sentinel etc) and other very janky looking designs.

the new art is a vast improvement and it does help that the new models are amazing. Nowadays a lot of sales are done on looks as well as word of mouth. I've had friends who have never played Btech before and see the new models and art and get interested or get involved and get stuff.

If the game was the best in the world but unless it was trying to be deliberately ironic and silly with odd looking mechs and stuff, then it could work. But if you put it forwards as a serious thing and then have 40 year old art with lines all over it and mechs that look at best goofy at worst, shatnerpants, then it would put people off.

The new mechs are a godsend, IWM ones are a mix of the janky old ones and the very nice new ones, but they are hard to get outside of the USA. The plastics are easier to get, cheaper to buy and if you have to get some from the US (*insert grumbles about Barns and Noble not acknowledging the existence of Europe here*) then ya don't get as sodomized by the shipping costs.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2022, 15:18:19 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Weirdguy

• Sergeant
Even my own avatar is an acknowledgment of how good art affects wether or not somebody will play. 

The Reseen mechs are not well loved by me, and I don’t think I’m unusual. 

Yet, when Flying Debris/Alex Inglacias drew it, my feelings changed.   I wouldn’t mind having another go at Reseen mechs if they’re redone and tweaked by the current artists.  Hell, I’ve got my own Marauder 3D model based on a walking attack helicopter.  Cut off the tail boom and main rotor, sling PPC & Medium laser pods below the weapon wings, stick the chin gun where the main rotor used to be, and mount that to some chicken walker legs. 

Bad art affects the whole game.  It just does.   

Register