Register Register

Author Topic: I am Back after 12 years....  (Read 851 times)

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
  • When all else fails shoot the messenger.
I am Back after 12 years....
« on: 12 October 2022, 09:24:17 »
Hello folks I am back after a long and incredibly strange trip...

So I am painting again and need your help. Right now I am working on some non BT stuff just to test my skills after all these years so I won't be able to show those but I have 4 BT minis coming in the next order of minis I am making they are  Archer, Marauder, Stinger and Valkyrie.

So what I need for you is a list of schemes you would like to see on these minis one for each. Try to keep them canon just for fun on this first round and think of something you want to see done well.
There would be less humans if they were tastier....

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
Re: I am Back after 12 years....
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2022, 09:47:03 »
Well, if that's the case, then first let me say: Welcome back!

For my suggestions:

1) Lyran Royal Guard
2) Davion Guard (the pinstripe version, not this garish broad bands version)
3) Nightstalker Regiment
4) Death Commando
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2022, 10:16:54 »
Well, if that's the case, then first let me say: Welcome back!

For my suggestions:

1) Lyran Royal Guard
2) Davion Guard (the pinstripe version, not this garish broad bands version)
3) Nightstalker Regiment
4) Death Commando

Seconded, great group.   I'd also settle for the Red Lancers on the Stinger.

Sapphirus

• Warrant Officer
  • Stressed out? Here's an image of Kirby sitting
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2022, 13:04:54 »
Hello folks I am back after a long and incredibly strange trip...

So I am painting again and need your help. Right now I am working on some non BT stuff just to test my skills after all these years so I won't be able to show those but I have 4 BT minis coming in the next order of minis I am making they are  Archer, Marauder, Stinger and Valkyrie.

So what I need for you is a list of schemes you would like to see on these minis one for each. Try to keep them canon just for fun on this first round and think of something you want to see done well.
Welcome back!
Can't wait to see future paint jobs of yours

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2022, 19:34:07 »
Welcome back indeed!  :thumbsup:

I'll certainly be checking this thread for pics when you're done!  :)

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2022, 09:20:42 »
Thanks guys it has been a log run back to get here. Now since I am no longer a CSO artist that gives me huge amounts of wiggle room on what I paint.  I have only painted 5 minis since I returned (3 weeks ago) and they actually came out better than anything I have ever done in the past. I am working on a CAV mini right now that I would put up against almost anyone and I can't wait to show it off (other locations of course) but I need to get the photo area setup and practice that skill again.

After a little wiggling I will be picking up 5 clan mechs along with the innersphere ones. I am gonna redo the 3 canon schemes that I had canonized as a CSO artist. 1 I will be able to recreate on the new sculpts of the old mech I did the original in... Marauder II BS Upsilon.

So on that note throw out some clan schemes also. I may take your suggestions but I was looking and there are some units that haven't been canonized that I may give my take on. I appreciate all the suggestions so far but most are all ones suggested have been done to death form a 3 year olds attempt to semi pro quality. So I may not take all of the suggestions as listed but keep them coming.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2022, 15:13:40 »
Welcome back, look forward to your work.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

600 Battlemechs
503 Warships

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2022, 15:43:52 »
I don't believe there's any restriction on showing off your other miniatures as long as they're not reproductions.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2022, 17:34:46 »
+1 for the Mod encouragement!  :thumbsup:

Admittedly I'm only here for the IS goodness, but by all means, please share the glory of your skills regardless of medium!  8)

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2022, 12:47:57 »
I don't believe there's any restriction on showing off your other miniatures as long as they're not reproductions.

Ok you asked for it I will work on the PhotoFu then throw it up for all the minions to rip apart.... ;D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2022, 12:52:07 »
Woo!  Bring it!  :thumbsup:

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2022, 13:11:18 »
Woo!  Bring it!  :thumbsup:

When I learned my photofu the first time it took longer to learn than how to paint .... after 12 years it may take a bit to shake the rust off. ::)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2022, 14:11:34 »
Most of us are more patient than we let on... we'll be here when you get that rust banged off the camera!  :thumbsup:

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2022, 20:59:33 »
Most of us are more patient than we let on... we'll be here when you get that rust banged off the camera!  :thumbsup:

Just banged the dust off of it and it wasn't good several screws and a Lyran Rock Rat fell out..... No seriously it is so old it won't even hook to the computer. So I am working on either a new camera or a work around.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 16 October 2022, 01:50:16 »
Yikes!  Best of luck!  8)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 16 October 2022, 08:51:23 »
Just banged the dust off of it and it wasn't good several screws and a Lyran Rock Rat fell out..... No seriously it is so old it won't even hook to the computer. So I am working on either a new camera or a work around.

iPhone? Seriously their cameras are so good I’m positive they’re the equal of any dedicated unit. It’s like buying an 8/10 camera and oh hey it comes with a mobile phone too.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 16 October 2022, 12:04:30 »
iPhone? Seriously their cameras are so good I’m positive they’re the equal of any dedicated unit. It’s like buying an 8/10 camera and oh hey it comes with a mobile phone too.

Oh brother you opened a can of worms with that one.....  ;D ;D ;D 

I am old enough I was selling cameras when Digital came on the market so we had to learn all of this info and I was a Wedding/Sport photographer for years both in film and digital so I have seen the difference. Although I still find mini photography to be the most frustrating to get right and learn to do well. For me the 3 main reasons I will avoid a I-phone or low end point and shoot for filming minis or any serious photography is.

#1 You will never get an apple product in my house >:D
#2 A Camera especially a dedicated camera like a DSLR will outshine a phone any day for several reasons that can be a long drawn out explanation, but is like everyone saying digital is better than film, nope it is not for one main reason film has no pixels...  ;D second is lenses...
#3 A DSLR's versatility and control of all functions far exceeds what I can do on a phone. All of these functions allow me to make a better and truer image than any phone..

Is a DSLR for everyone simply put no, but to push the boundaries and really show the art work you need a camera that can do that. Phones are designed for those that have no photo background which is why most people never take it out of the default settings. Which is about 97% of the younger generation that have grown up in a digital world. Most good mid range cameras that have full manual function will work better than a phone if used properly. This will probably be the route I am going since the wife is already mildly annoyed at the cnc in the garage asking for another $800 is probably out for now.

So in closing I would like to say that I would never wish the horror of an I-phone on the anyone even the person who just shot my Atlas out from under me. ;D ;D ;D

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 16 October 2022, 12:11:10 »
That's fair. I had forgotten what expertise you had. I'd personally stick with a newer iPhone because I'll get adequate results with good lights and a light-box and am not enough of a photographer to justify paying for a for-real DSLR.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2022, 12:52:51 »
That's fair. I had forgotten what expertise you had. I'd personally stick with a newer iPhone because I'll get adequate results with good lights and a light-box and am not enough of a photographer to justify paying for a for-real DSLR.

Funny thing is I will probably be using my phone to at least get shots up until I get the camera thing all figured out. It never even dawned on me that the old camera wouldn't hook to a windows 10 computer since it worked so well back then (Windows 7). Spent about an hour trying to figure that one out until I found an official post buried on Canon's website stating that much. A DSLR is probably more than I need now but there is one thing I really want and that is tethering.

I like to work with the camera tethered to the computer and control is from the computer not the camera. This allows me to lock it's position in place and not move the camera. I like that I can adjust all the settings in the computer to see the shot before the button is pushed so I know what I am getting. Compound that with diminishing eyesight and it is easier for me to get the best shot.

For 99% of the world a DSLR is overkill unless they are trying to go for the top end of the mini world. Since I am nowhere near painting a 75mm life like bust or doing pro photography I just need a decent point in shoot with manual control and tethering.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2022, 12:57:32 »
Huh. I'd never thought of the feature outside video recording and streaming and yet that does make sense.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 16 October 2022, 13:42:29 »
So here is an example on my phone. I can not control the f-stop (depth of field) so I do not get an image that the entire mini is in focus. Plus the colors are off since the WB controls are limited so you can not see the highlights as well. This is the 6th mini I have put paint to since I picked up a brush and if I can get real pics I will post them in a different thread.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2022, 13:45:26 by sounguru »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2022, 14:13:46 »
Nice work, lack of f-stop control or no!  :thumbsup:

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 16 October 2022, 14:16:36 »
Nice work, lack of f-stop control or no!  :thumbsup:

It is missing so many of the highlights though  :'(

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 16 October 2022, 14:22:19 »
I'm sure you'll show them to us when you have a new camera, so I for one am not worried!  8)

RazorclawXLS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 16 October 2022, 14:30:32 »
*text snipped, only pic is relevant*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddsZTFSfXaw

Kidding aside, I like what I see

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2022, 03:21:12 »
Welcome back!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2022, 03:32:32 »
In the absence of f-stop control, take the picture from a yard or more back. With a high resolution camera, the image has enough detail that you can crop the picture down to exclude the 'wasted' space. Digital zoom is optional; play and see what works best.

(Although I use my 20-odd year old Lumix digital camera for mini pics, as I find it a more stable camera platform. fortunately my PC talk to it.)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 17 October 2022, 08:01:14 »
In the absence of f-stop control, take the picture from a yard or more back. With a high resolution camera, the image has enough detail that you can crop the picture down to exclude the 'wasted' space. Digital zoom is optional; play and see what works best.

(Although I use my 20-odd year old Lumix digital camera for mini pics, as I find it a more stable camera platform. fortunately my PC talk to it.)

That is one way you can help it and was tried. Ambient light will play a factor when using that method so if ambient light in the room around you is not bright enough or then the f-stop will still be shallow and still have the same issues. Sadly the camera I am trying to use which does better than my phone is still a camera for dummies so I have no control over f-stop or shutter speed. I can only control the ISO which you always want low as possible and the white balance. Pixels really have little bearing even a 6 meg camera from 1 yard will produce a very usable picture if all the other factors are right.

Right now it is all trying to figure out the right lighting, distance for shot, and few other tweaks to get this old camera to take it's best picture. I am having to do everything on the fly so I have not had time to setup a dedicated spot to do photos so all of those factors change with each session. Which makes each session a new learning experience which is not what you want. You want something that is reproduceable every time. I am also using a cheap photo box with only one direction of light being produced. I added a second light source but it still is causing shadows and loss of highlights because it is all directional.

I want to setup a halo light box and probably will use my painting halo as a photo halo once I get that built. It will be that way probably until I kick a child out and get to convert their room to a Dad den. ;D I am really enjoying the discussion and thanks for all the feedback and ideas.

Register