Register Register

Author Topic: Jeff Laubenstein-inspired Hellbringer B  (Read 738 times)

abou

• Captain
Jeff Laubenstein-inspired Hellbringer B
« on: 30 September 2022, 13:27:28 »
Laubenstein-inspired Hellbringer B done. This was going to be my entry for the Yellow competition for the BattleTech Painting & Customs, but I couldn't even start it until recently. Don't know if I would have won, but I would like to think this guy could have held his own. Plus, I love Laubenstein's art style - one of the best artists BattleTech had.

Boring stuff to read below:

This early 2000s sculpt by Chris Lewis is one of my favorites. I remember excitedly buying it from the BattleCorps website where it only took 6 months to arrive. Funny, I only just now painted it.
If I remember correctly, this and the Summoner were among the first CAD models and 3D masters that IWM used. The Timber Wolf, Mad Dog, Warhawk, and Dire Wolf were resculpted by hand by Drew Williams based off the Lewis CAD models.

While I love the sculpt, this was about the limit of what you could do in so few pieces with a rubber mold. Too many undercuts. It would have been better if the legs were separate from the hips, and the torso in two pieces. Regardless, it pinned nicely with small dimples to act as centers. Lots of great detail on every surface.
This was my first attempt at chipping. Yellow was used to highlight most colors. I think I succeeded in some areas, but need more work in others. Overall, I'm happy to add it to the collection.

abou

• Captain
Re: Jeff Laubenstein-inspired Hellbringer B
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2022, 13:28:03 »
Some more shots.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2022, 13:28:41 »
And final shots.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2022, 13:37:12 »
A white background if that makes a difference for you.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2022, 15:11:16 »
 :thumbsup:

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2022, 15:17:47 »
Great work!

riposte

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2022, 16:34:09 »
That's excellent work, but Iam glad to hear someone's queue of painting is that long, I now don't feel so bad about the CI mechs here unpainted.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2022, 18:49:10 »
Amazing detail as always, even if it is a clanner 'mech...  8)

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2022, 13:12:39 »
Very nice. :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

avon1985

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2022, 04:17:48 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:

Losferwords

• Recruit
  • The dude abides.
    • Player of Games
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2022, 19:07:03 »
That's some seriously good weathering an damage!
ICQ Number?!?

Ramseti

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2022, 07:09:38 »
Amazing work!

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2022, 09:08:05 »
Beautiful work!

The weathering and paint chipping sell it as a well-worn engine of war.  :thumbsup:

Xan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2022, 22:41:55 »
Wow that is great work!  Mind sharing your chipping technique?  I really like that effect you got.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2022, 11:27:12 »
Wow that is great work!  Mind sharing your chipping technique?  I really like that effect you got.
To be honest, I'm new at it. What I did was essentially think about where the wear and tear would be, what kind of scrapes and effects, and paint with my highlight color first to mark it. Then I went over it with a mix of red-brown and black to show the metal underneath.

What does make the effect work -- at least I hope it works -- is making sure you are mindful of light. The bottom edge of a chip is what would catch the light. So making sure that is what shows is how you build up paint, but give the effect of a depression.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2022, 23:22:20 »
I have always enjoyed Jeff Laubenstein's Battletech artwork also.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
  • When all else fails shoot the messenger.
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2022, 13:07:55 »
Overall really nice. I would suggest scale down the images and back off a little. When you zoom in that much the effects you are going for can be lost. Think of the statue of liberty if you are standing right under it you can't see all the shading and detail because you are too close it is only at distance does it all come together. I will only zoom in that much when trying to show a certain detail and I only show that small area. Cool mini or Not is a good place to look at for good photo work then try to emulate it. I would love to see a full image but not so zoomed in and make the image itself smaller in size.

I think you achieved the worn look nicely. I would like to see more rust and oil streaks but that is a personal thing not a real killer but would help put it over the top. Solid 6.5 improve the images will improve the score.
There would be less humans if they were tastier....

abou

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 16 October 2022, 16:21:18 »
Damn, I wish someone had said something earlier. Everyone just gives you a thumbs up here that I didn't expect constructive criticism.

To be honest, the way the forum works with images is such a pain I just grabbed the photos off Instagram and hoped for the best. My photo-fu is pretty weak. But I spent the past hour and a half figuring out how to get the best images I could on my camera.

White balance is still a frustration currently. And not sure if my F function is getting the mini in an acceptable amount of focus. Hopefully this improves the presentation.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2022, 16:45:40 »
Damn, I wish someone had said something earlier. Everyone just gives you a thumbs up here that I didn't expect constructive criticism.

To be honest, the way the forum works with images is such a pain I just grabbed the photos off Instagram and hoped for the best. My photo-fu is pretty weak. But I spent the past hour and a half figuring out how to get the best images I could on my camera.

White balance is still a frustration currently. And not sure if my F function is getting the mini in an acceptable amount of focus. Hopefully this improves the presentation.

I usually only give feedback unless asked on minis I see as a 6 or better. My feeling is if they made it that high they are actually trying to achieve something and feedback helps that. Plus I have been gone for 12+ years so I have a lot to give...  ;D ;D I just hope that others will do the same for me.

100 fold improvement just a little more to tweak, one is cropping the other two are focus and depth of field. You want to try and make sure all of the mini is in focus if possible, getting the right depth of field will help f13 is a good starting point. If you have a pointy gun I try to make sure the cockpit is in focus or turn the mini slightly. WB is gonna depend on how such control your photo taking device gives. Some of this can be adjusted post processing some can not.

I stole one of your images to demonstrate... Cropped, Sharpened, and color balanced. Bumps it up to a 7 close to a 7.5 in my view now that I can see the overall effect without being overwhelmed. Now what could you do to make it a 8 the base.... add more detail to that base and more rust oil effects around the joints or where they might occur, that would really make the whole mini come together. No mold line issues, paint is well laid down no obvious brush strokes, damage is well done. Overall a darn fine job and I would be more than happy to head cap it from across the table...
« Last Edit: 16 October 2022, 17:08:00 by sounguru »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2022, 17:15:25 »
I generally only comment on pics that I think are good, and you have the last clanner 'mech I'll be commenting on after my latest warning.  Best of luck refining your picture taking abilities, and I daresay sounguru is someone to listen to on that.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 16 October 2022, 18:34:25 »
I generally only comment on pics that I think are good, and you have the last clanner 'mech I'll be commenting on after my latest warning.  Best of luck refining your picture taking abilities, and I daresay sounguru is someone to listen to on that.

yes a Star of Clanners coming right up... ;D ;D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2022, 19:02:14 »
 :-X