Register Register

Author Topic: Merlin Reimagined Kitbash - WiP  (Read 361 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Merlin Reimagined Kitbash - WiP
« on: 29 July 2022, 12:59:54 »
I was never really fond of the Merlin art out of TR:'58.  As someone wanting to be a completist in regards to having all the Mechs from the 2nd Ed box in mini form, having the mini didn't really help. At least the Chameleon was close to the one in the 2nd ed rulebook.

In the vein of my Team Brown Chameleon, I decided to come up with a kitbash to replace said 'ugly mini'.

Being sixty tons and stated to use common, easily replaceable parts, I was originally looking at an up-tonned Shadow Hawk. I liked the idea of the over-the shoulder cannon, and one of the Dougram variants also sported the same tube missile launcher as the Griffin.  I like tube launchers.  So, I included that one, WHM style. 

In stead, I decided to go with one of the newer Rifleman sculpts for the base.  Was wanting to pull a TZ-IV gun cluster style effect in the left torso for the MG and Flamer.  Almost got it.  Loved the idea of replacing the radar blades with a dorsal cannon like the Marauder for the PPC, but slightly off to one side.

Was also wanting to do Marauder style paddle arms, but, decided to go with those from the Archer, instead.  The only time having hands or not came up is in the later TRo fiction.  The original was using the stock sheets out of the 2nd ed rulebook, which had hand actuators printed on the sheet.   

All-in-all, I wanted something that looked like a FrankenMech which could be cobbled together from different wrecked chasses rather easily.

I haven't painted it yet, so I may make some modifications to bring the PPC in more center-line and maybe turn the Battlefists into stylized armor ram points.

Thoughts?

(Aside: Having done this, I was wondering if maybe the Merlin wasn't inspired by the Zentradi Male Power Armor with some slight tweeks.  It has a wizard look to it with the domed sensor head and an over-the-shoulder PBC.)
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Luciora

• Major
Re: Merlin Reimagined Kitbash - WiP
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2022, 16:39:53 »
Interesting ideas! 

Xan

• Master Sergeant
Re: Merlin Reimagined Kitbash - WiP
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2022, 22:43:14 »
Very impressive kit bash looking forward to seeing it painted.

Register