Register Register

Author Topic: Old-school MAC Vindicator  (Read 1092 times)

abou

• Captain
Old-school MAC Vindicator
« on: 15 August 2021, 19:52:34 »
This is one I always wanted to do, but couldn't figure out when I was a kid. I just didn't get what was happening. Then it struck me: the Awesome from the old CamoSpecs book was painted as a knight in shining armor. It was all chrome and we were seeing the reflections.

I first airbrushed Reaper silver and then followed with blue and brown inks from opposing angles. Attaching the Vindicator to a pin vise made it easy to get close to the bottom of the mini for a proper nadir shadow. I then added in with brushed black ink for areas where it seemed the blue and brown met. This was then followed with a black oil wash to maintain clean surfaces.

I'm not 100% with it, but I think I got the main idea across. One of the problems is that it is so hard to correct anything. Inks are very transparent and metals are just awful to paint. You have to get it right from the start, which I didn't, because trying to match what you airbrushed is incredibly difficult by hand. That being said, I think an NMM approach to really crank up the contrast and reflections with brush-work alone would be possible, and likely amazing.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Not smarter than a fifth grader
    • Master Unit List
Re: Old-school MAC Vindicator
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2021, 20:12:09 »
I'd say you got that effect down. Very nice work

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

what is being a battletech fan besides accepting a bad, poorly informed take twenty years ago, reciting it repeatedly as fact, and never bothering to update your opinion by reading anything new?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2021, 21:51:29 »
Thanks!

But you know how it is: you're often your own worst critic. I look at it and think where I can up the contrast, how can I make it better, what effects can I do to improve it, etc.

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2021, 22:57:00 »
When people say "Oh Shinny!"  This is what will come to mind from now on.

Well done. 

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2021, 00:28:50 »
Looks good to me too!  :thumbsup:

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2021, 06:05:04 »
I'm impressed! :thumbsup:

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2021, 10:47:29 »

A true mirror-effect is practically impossible to achieve and maintain.  But here’s a couple takes on it:

https://illuminatorhobby.wordpress.com/tag/how-to-paint-chrome-warhammer/

https://www.culturehustleusa.com/products/mirror
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2021, 10:59:25 »
Nice work!

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2021, 06:17:25 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2021, 09:14:03 »
Cool!

A true mirror-effect is practically impossible to achieve and maintain.  But here’s a couple takes on it:

https://illuminatorhobby.wordpress.com/tag/how-to-paint-chrome-warhammer/

https://www.culturehustleusa.com/products/mirror

Oh, very interesting.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2021, 23:43:11 »
Some nice shiny work there.   8) :thumbsup:

Extra thumbs up for tackling something so tricky.  :thumbsup:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Alzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2021, 23:55:10 »
I like the start you have here. Definitely agree that getting some of the higher contrast points would be very helpful. Having the darkest dark and the lightest light touching is important to really get the hard contrast that makes NMM effective. The eyes pull it off, challenge is just getting it across the rest.
20th Avalon Hussars
Marion Highlanders

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2021, 09:39:07 »
Very impressed. Great concept. Great job!!  8)
I do wonder though if a darker or even black background would better showcase your efforts here?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2021, 10:55:28 »
That's a good idea. I'll have to see if I can track down some black poster board or similar.

avon1985

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2021, 12:02:50 »
Very nice! :thumbsup:

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #15 on: 12 June 2022, 15:31:10 »
This is beautiful work!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 23 June 2022, 13:47:44 »
Wow!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2022, 14:54:53 »
Looks great!
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

abou

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 24 June 2022, 22:59:57 »
Thanks, everyone. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised this was necro'd, and has gotten more love than my Jagermech or Mad Dog. But give the people what they want.