Register Register

Author Topic: Orange Hornet  (Read 646 times)

abou

• Captain
Orange Hornet
« on: 13 September 2021, 22:43:26 »
In general, my heart belongs to the old school minis. The Hornet, however... oof. The proportions, the light volumes of the panels, the arms that will no doubt break off at some point... sorry, Robert Charrette, but this is not your best sculpt. I know the art from the Wolf's Dragoons sourcebook was the limiting factor, but still... yeesh. And why did I choose orange?

*sigh*

Gotta catch 'em all.

This was my second try and it just didn't speak to me. I wasn't inspired, but still wanted to get it done. So I just decided to use my airbrush and sprayed lighter colors from higher angles. Despite it all, I did try and take two things from this.

The first is that a light skin tone can be great for creating highlights when you don't want to use white to mix with your base. It works well with many colors.

The second is that white ink is amazing in the right places and helps to avoid the chalky texture of white paints.

Seriously, get a bottle of white ink.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Orange Hornet
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2021, 05:20:00 »
 :thumbsup:

RabidFox

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2021, 09:02:34 »
For not being inspired, it looks damn good.  The cockpit jeweling is spot on, how did you do it?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2021, 13:31:00 »
For not being inspired, it looks damn good.  The cockpit jeweling is spot on, how did you do it?
People have been asking me how I did it on Facebook as well. I might do a tutorial since there is so much interest. Not that I'm sure I should be the one doing a tutorial.

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2021, 13:37:06 »
Love the cockpit, great job.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2021, 13:44:07 »
Very nice. :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2021, 21:32:15 »
Makes me think of the Fireball I painted orange.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2021, 22:36:02 »
Fantastic work with the orange, and that cockpit work is just amazing.  8) 8) :thumbsup:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

avon1985

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2021, 20:03:03 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2021, 18:44:48 »
You should do a green hornet now and call it a superhero mech then.....

The GREEN HORNET IS COMING!!!

Sorry, just had to say that.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2021, 00:19:19 »
For those interested, I posted a tutorial on sky-earth cockpit reflections here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/tips-and-tricks/sky-earth-reflections-tutorial/

RabidFox

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2021, 08:10:20 »
For those interested, I posted a tutorial on sky-earth cockpit reflections here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/tips-and-tricks/sky-earth-reflections-tutorial/

Excellent tutorial.  Thank you. :thumbsup:

abou

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 05 October 2021, 21:34:41 »
Glad I could help, man.