Register Register

Author Topic: Has there been any update  (Read 528 times)

Oriffel

• Private
Has there been any update
« on: 27 July 2022, 00:33:39 »
On the fleet assets for the Rasalhague Dominion or Raven Alliance?

I wanna be fairly on point for cannon, but just "white" and "grey" are kinda....boring. And i finally, finally got my hands on the decals for both (well it's in the mail).

Has there been any sort of update on how the newish merged factions paint their ships?

I tried looking at the Outworlds Alliance and FRP fleet assets on camo specs but.... they had nothing.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
Re: Has there been any update
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2022, 00:45:45 »
Valkyrie Galaxy for the Ras Dom is almost all (if not 100%) aerospace assets. They are blue with white and gold. I imagine what is left of the fleet (two ships as of currently) would adopt that scheme as well, as Valkyrie Galaxy was originally designed to safeguard the warships. But the Ghost bears don’t really have enough of a fleet to warrant any changes, certainly not now. The second combine-ghost bear war took away all but two ships, one being a Carrack class so damn near a puffed up jump ship.

Ravens, maybe add a highlight for signifying what Naval Star they are a part of. Otherwise their navy is fleshed out enough to have any chance be actually worthy of mention.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Oriffel

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2022, 01:11:13 »
They only have two ships left?

Oh that makes me sad :(
Why, why do the writers hate the awesomeness that is warships, so much?

But that galaxy sounds interesting, are there any pictures out there?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
Re: Has there been any update l
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2022, 01:32:26 »
I guess three ships, but 2 are Carrack class ships, so not particularly useful for other than saying we have 3 warships and being technically correct.

Someone posted a group of mechs in Valkyrie galaxy colors, but it bothered me so much because they refused to believe Valkyrie galaxy was aerospace only. It might have been in a discord tho. But camospecs doesn’t have any examples of Valkyrie galaxy.

Oriffel

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2022, 02:00:37 »
well dang, they gotta get themselves some more nightlords.

I really hope the Ilclan era isn't so neglectful of the naval aspects of the universe. Dark age was such a let down there, and in many, many other aspects too.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2022, 03:27:53 »
It is widely accepted that TPTB destroyed all the warships in the ‘no man’s land’ time of the Jihad to the dark ages because they did more harm than good to the setting. They are essentially plot devices now more than pieces on the board.
So really there are very few left and almost no one can make warships anymore. The only one produced in the last 50+ years of fiction is the Leviathan III and we haven’t heard anything about it since it’s existence was revealed in XTRO 3(?) Republic. Hoping we get something on it in Dominions Divided.

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2022, 22:30:23 »
With the Leviathan III that gives the RasDom maybe a Leviathan III, a Leviathan II, and 2 Carracks.

Also, a few Warships have been built since the Jihad other than the Leviathan III, Hour of the Wolf showed that the RotS built a couple more Warships while they were sitting behind their wall, and it seems the Falcons built a new Warship to replace the one Malvina crashed into Sudeten. Though Hour of the Wolf was a net loss to Warship numbers with the Wolves losing one, and the Jade Falcons and RotS losing several each.

I do think Warships have a place in Battletech even if it is only as plot devices. After all, three of the most decisive events of the Dark Age prominently featured major space combat. The Battle for Terra, the Sea Fox blockade of the Regulan Fiefs, and the disaster at Palmyra all featured the victors gaining and maintaining space superiority.

Oriffel

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2022, 17:00:49 »
With the Leviathan III that gives the RasDom maybe a Leviathan III, a Leviathan II, and 2 Carracks.

Also, a few Warships have been built since the Jihad other than the Leviathan III, Hour of the Wolf showed that the RotS built a couple more Warships while they were sitting behind their wall, and it seems the Falcons built a new Warship to replace the one Malvina crashed into Sudeten. Though Hour of the Wolf was a net loss to Warship numbers with the Wolves losing one, and the Jade Falcons and RotS losing several each.

I do think Warships have a place in Battletech even if it is only as plot devices. After all, three of the most decisive events of the Dark Age prominently featured major space combat. The Battle for Terra, the Sea Fox blockade of the Regulan Fiefs, and the disaster at Palmyra all featured the victors gaining and maintaining space superiority.

I just absolutely love both the designs and their take on an attempt at grounded physics. 

Sure, they can be plot devices, but honestly I'd be happy if they existed even just as hardly ever regarded fluff in the background. The universe feels so much richer just having them in it, and I think it'd really flesh out the universe to have say, the Taurians once again become a major naval power. Even if it was just to make their neighbours sweat a little. Or ruthlessly hunt down pirates. Not necessary as a major plot device, just as an interesting part of their former identity they can recover. I'm glad to hear they've been building more, but i hope the other factions do as well.

Warships need more love! with the exodus from a certain other major IP that had a solid Black Water Navy element, it also feels like it'd be a missed opportunity to be doing something there, as there's a potentially larger audience looking for a new home.

It is widely accepted that TPTB destroyed all the warships in the ‘no man’s land’ time of the Jihad to the dark ages because they did more harm than good to the setting. They are essentially plot devices now more than pieces on the board.
So really there are very few left and almost no one can make warships anymore. The only one produced in the last 50+ years of fiction is the Leviathan III and we haven’t heard anything about it since it’s existence was revealed in XTRO 3(?) Republic. Hoping we get something on it in Dominions Divided.

Having the ships and ship building capabilities being gone just feels a bit repetitive and so reductive of the Succession Wars era, its what i hated about the dark age setting, where everything was broken and ...they just didn't fix it. It was great, but a sequel ore recreation isn't a promising direction. I get it, people love the Succession wars era, and its warship free-ness. but its uniqueness will be lost if they just keep trying to re-create it, in an inevitably less good version.

But back to the post, i still have no idea what to paint my Dominion and Alliance navies. Flat white and stale grey are already in heavy use and hey, their back in the sphere, they should celebrate a little with some new style'n.

Some of the "new" warship designs are so awesome too, i really hope enough interest can be drummed up to get more of them made. I'd throw an absolutely unreasonable amount of support behind a space/naval kickstarter too.