Register Register

Author Topic: Return to the brushes (9/12/22: crucis lancers)  (Read 8271 times)

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Return to the brushes
« Reply #30 on: 10 December 2020, 17:59:09 »
Well, finished with the Nuln Oil and the follow up with the white drybrush.

Minis in the back were the ones already painted for reference and the RFL, the last mech I am going to paint in this scheme.

I did NOT hedge drybrush white on the Warhammer or Archer. I can always go back and do it, but right now the base color + light Nuln oil is looking good on the legs and arms of both mechs so will see how the others turn out regarding coherence with them before I do anything more on those 2.

The others (the 3 55 toners and the MAD) are going to have their colors in arms and legs rised again with the base color.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #31 on: 14 December 2020, 06:34:27 »
Ok, more progress.

all base colors finished except in the WHM and ARC (blues need to be raised with white and toned down again with a blue light wash) and the RFL, that needs all the drybrush and toning down done (it is a late comer to the party!!)

Quite happy with current results, especially with the green in the Shadow Hawk's (well, Cronus, actually) arm and the general appearence of the Griffin.

Pictures:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #32 on: 14 December 2020, 13:08:31 »
Looking very sharp there! What are you planning to do about basing?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 14 December 2020, 16:40:31 »
 :thumbsup:

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #34 on: 16 December 2020, 03:30:20 »
I am having trouble deciding the tertiary colors. Fornthe gun barrels, cockpit glasses, and the like. Any suggestions? I tried with gumboot metal.for the gun barrels. Ok for the Griffin and Wolverine, but for the Rifleman, shadow hawk and other long barrels it looks extremely lame. Any ideas?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 16 December 2020, 04:09:17 »
Best metal effects usually go with black base, then drybrushing a thin layer of gunmetal on top of that.

Gunmetal with a wash of Nuln Oil can work well for grilles & accordion joints, but will look bad on simple surfaces like long, cylindrical gunbarrels with no relief.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #36 on: 16 December 2020, 04:22:48 »
Yeah, I know.
Th thing is that it looks bad even using that. The gunmetal does not seem to fit with the general colors of the mini if the piece is large, like a Rifleman or Marauder gun barrel. :/

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 16 December 2020, 04:32:57 »
Then paint the long barrels the base colour, and only do the metallics if there's some sort of feature at the tip?

Check out my recent post, the Warhammer barrels are coloured, not metal.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #38 on: 17 December 2020, 16:24:50 »
Ok. Details painted. Lasers are now GW goblin green.
Any suggestion on color and technique to do the cockpits?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 17 December 2020, 23:17:45 »
Okay, one suggestion - black, particularly gloss black, will work well. It almost always does. Gloss means it self-highlights with reflections.

Normally for cockpits I think about the colour wheel. Grey's dominant, but blue is next in line, so red/orange - as long as the red is different enough from the maroon arms. If you want a more reflective colour, paint the cockpits silver, and then apply a light coat of yellow/red/orange ink.

And then there's metallic green. I think that goes with pretty much anything.

And for another option, fake jewelling. I can't tell you how to do real jewelling, but I have a half-decent substitute. The Assassin is the clearest view of it. Works best with not large, curved cockpits eg. old Beemer.

So,

1) Base the cockpit. Black works with everything.
2) Use a fine brush, lightly white out a crescent filling one bottom corner
3) Hit with coloured ink - any on black, yellow works well on red
4) Add a tiny white highlight spot towards the opposite corner.

Hopefully some ideas there!

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #40 on: 18 December 2020, 09:17:34 »
Ok. Since this is my first big batch of mechs I do not want to screw up now. So I will go for the easiest suggestion and paint them black + gloss varnish. Maybe not the most wonderful system, but certainly one I can work with and be satisfied with the result. If I mess up now I will hate myself! :P I will try the other technique in a smaller batch, like a lance-sized unit.

Now, the lasers and PPC: they suck. The goblin green and sky blue of the PPC just do not contrast at all with the white/blue scheme of the mechs as you can see in the images below. IN the images they appear OK since they are like x3 the size of the actual mech, but they are invisible wheh you have them in your hand.
The case of the PPC is not as dramatic, but the lasers just do not cut it.
Would it be problematic to paint them red?

[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 18 December 2020, 10:32:54 »
I think the hint of color on the weapons is fine.  Would it be nice if we could jewel lenses like the CamoSpecs team?  Sure.

Can I jewel lenses like the CamoSpecs team?  HAHAHA. No. 

You can always watch a few jeweling videos if you want to work on it, but I think the PPC's and lasers add a clear indication of what they are as is.  But in the light provided, they are clearly weapons.  Good work!

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #42 on: 18 December 2020, 10:35:44 »
Nothing wrong with painting the lasers red.  The ones I'm working on right now have bright green panels, so green lasers would have blended right in.  Thus I'm using red for all the lasers.

What was your process for painting the PPCs?
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 18 December 2020, 13:19:46 »
You can always use metallics for the weapons. I tend to - but don't always - go metallic blue for PPCs, metallic red for lasers, and black for ballistics/gauss.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #44 on: 18 December 2020, 15:50:30 »
PPC were done very easy.
- Paint white over the base color
- mix medium Vallejo blue with pure white to get a sky blue color. Apply a smaller dot than the white area in there. Done.

Ok. Moving to black cockpits and red lasers tonight.

I do not have metallic paints except silver, so will apply a dot of orange-y red to the laser bits and consider it done
« Last Edit: 18 December 2020, 15:52:16 by Elmoth »

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 18 December 2020, 16:20:11 »
Something you might try:

When doing weapons:  put that metallic silver under the colors.  Then put a thinned out coat of color on top.  It will pop more.

This is especially true if you use the gemstone colors from GW.  FYI!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 18 December 2020, 16:58:45 »
Citadel are very clever and very good at what they do. If only the lids sealed properly ...

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #47 on: 19 December 2020, 17:42:22 »
Ok, finished with them. Black cockpits looks great and the red lasers are MUCH better. Only thing remaining is taking pictures of the lot of them and painting the cockpits with a gloss varnish. Very happy with the result so far. Oh, and the bases are still to be decided, so the minis are not ready yet.

I couldn't take the pictures today because my 2.5 years old daughter asked me to paint some minis and to get her a "search and find (like a where is wally book) in IMPERIAL ROME". Now I have som elves in "autumn camo" and a children's book that fill my geek wargamer heart with pride. will post about them tomorrow as well.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 19 December 2020, 19:12:25 »
Just painting some DA minis with my granddaughter yesterday, similar age. Looks like she likes Republic Standing Guard & Canopians.  :thumbsup:

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #49 on: 20 December 2020, 09:34:26 »
Ok, ready.
Painted the cockpits black and lasers red. Flat colors in both cases. I might try to put bright seal on the cockpits, but apart from that and the bases they are done. Now moving to something else whie waiting for wave 2. Maybe I will.continue with the red-black kurita style unit you already saw. Or something else. Will decide in the next days.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #50 on: 20 December 2020, 09:42:54 »
And my daughter's entrance into the World of miniature painting:

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #51 on: 11 January 2021, 22:46:11 »
There were 11 mecha there! I had to do one more.

A locust finishes the Aran Guard company, bases and background pendin. Details in black because it is an ex Black Warrior.

And a bad family photo

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #52 on: 23 September 2021, 05:23:22 »
Today I was classifying my kickstarter stuff.

My better half

« Last Edit: 23 September 2021, 05:25:42 by Elmoth »

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #53 on: 03 October 2021, 17:26:40 »

Well, here comes my KS mech collection. And only collection really since I do not have metal mechs. Except 2 Stinger LAM that will go with the An Tings.

una

My original idea was to have an easy color scheme: white, blue, red, green and tan teams. But somehow painting the kuritas as SoL do not appeal to me.

Anyway, distribution and painting projects.

UP LEFT. Aran Guard (company). Already painted, see posts above. painted ver similar to the Lothian Guard since their background story (that I need to finish writing...) is based in the Lothian/Illyrian/Circinus conflict of the 3030s

UP CENTER Arms of Thor (1 lance). Color scheme to be determined. 2 awesomes, 1 battlemaster and a shadow hawk that acts as a scout. The exact composition can still vary.

TOP RIGHT. An Ting legion (2 lances). the paradigmatic raiding force. All mechs move at 5/8 (10+" in Alpha strike) or faster. 2 LAM stingers missing from the picture. The 2 panthers are the ALAG version, which does not jump but moves 5/8. I decided to put the Locust in instead of a Phoenix Hawk to keep the swift lance as fast as it could be.
Colors: dark blue and silver details.

CENTER LEFT. lyran Guard (a whole company) . I have not fully decided on the assault mechs, but for the moment the Thug and the Cyclops are here. They act as Black Warriors painted as Lyrans (Black warriors always use the colors of other units when attacking to hide who they are). I had thought about painting them as Skye Rangers, but Skye Rangers don't seem to be sensible in the countrspin periphery border where the Illyrians, Lothians and Circinus Federation are.

CENTER RIGHT. Taurian concordat / fedsuns (2 lances)
The mechs are from Taurian production or from their neighbors. The lance below is 100% Taurian, and the upper one is a mix of Taurian troops with suns and capellan mechs. They will be painted red, or green. Still to be decided. The Taurian color schemes haven't impressed me much and I wish they could "count as" suns or cappies as well as Taurians, so I'm still looking for how to paint them.

DOWN LEFT. A mech that was sent to me with the box of legend mechs. It's from the clans. I do not know what mech it is, nor do I care too much since in 3025-3049 they do not exist, in the same way that there are other mechs of the clans distributed in the other troops that represent frankenmechs of the periphery. I'm trying to decide which mech of the inner sphere it represents. Marauder II?

DOWN CENTER UP. The Reavers (lance). Yolanda Saffron's unit. Red and sand colors.

DOWN CENTER DOWN. Malcolm's Browncoats (lance) . Jayne (3S banshee), Mal (blackjack), Zoe (wolverine) and River (experimental hatchetman with Nightsky stats). Sand / brown and red colors, but I may paint every mech differently. The 2 lightnings of Inara and Wash are missing (I still need to buy them). I'm not entirely convinced with the Banshee, because even though it is a beast (specially the 3S) it slows down the whole lance and I  ight change it for a thug or battlemaster. As I say, the assault mechs is where I still have doubts.

I have some work ahead  ;D
« Last Edit: 12 October 2021, 14:36:19 by Elmoth »

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #54 on: 12 October 2021, 14:33:10 »
Well, lets start the second wave of the kickstarter with the An Ting Legion.
Black primer
Medium blue (vallejo)
Nuln oil black wash (GW)

Tonight i have to raise the color with vallejo medium blue again.

I have my doubts about the middle wolverine. It was a test to see if a white primer would work. It did not. I tried to put several layers of black wash on it, but it is still too clear. The Locust (left of the picture) was primed with light grey primer (vallejo  a very light brown-based grey) with a black wash and can pass along well with the other members of the force. However the wolverine still stands out. Maybe I will need to re-prime it woth black.

The black wash was unnecessary. It was only made necessary because I applied too much blue on the mechs. If I had made a heavy drybrush it would have been unnecessary to apply the wash. I will take this as a personal warning for the future

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #55 on: 18 October 2021, 02:24:29 »
Continuing. I've lined the pannels of a test Jenner. With ultramarine blue from the year before walking was invented (I think the pot is from GW 1994; from the pots of the coat of arms when it was sold by Citadel).

Excuse the shitty picture.

It looks ... decent? If there is light, at least. In low light, like indoors, the climb is too smooth.

And I hate the thing.

It took me like 3 hours to paint this watching WandaVision (and after seeing Loki the series is not up to expectations) and I to ended really fed up with the poor Jenner.

I'm somewhat frustrated right now. This is the FIRST rise of color of the test model. And I have 7-9 more mechs that need their color raised. And then there are the details to be painted still. This ain't good.

I will try to highlight another mech with a lighter blue to see how it ends up looking. Several raises are out of the question.  :/

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 18 October 2021, 02:33:15 »
You see, this is where I use the ghostbrush technique. With the mini based in blue, I'd get a very dry wide brush with a lighter blue paint, and gently brush the mini. With the very low amount of paint on the mini, and with light pressure, it only comes off on the edges and provides the level of highlighting you're doing manually. It takes a little practice - mainly in getting enough paint off the brush - but highly effective in the right circumstances.

It also doesn't help that it's blue. Check my "proof of concept" thread. The 21st Centauri paintscheme is ... blue. And it's pretty boring by itself. I based in dark blue, then drybrushed (not ghostbrushed) in French Blue (which is coincidentally the same as Ultramarine Blue). Wasn't until I started the detailing - with an additional but non-canon dark grey trim - it came together. But came together it did. With single-colour schemes, the pop all comes out of the detailing. If you do the cockpits, joints, and weapons in metallic or other colours, you may warm to it.

And darn you for having your Wave 2 minis! Still waiting here, and seeing them online in retail shops, is  :ticked:

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #57 on: 20 October 2021, 07:06:47 »
Any suggestion on color and technique to do the cockpits?

Have you considered using nail polish for cockpits? It's really glossy and when it dries it's pretty tough.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #58 on: 20 October 2021, 08:20:29 »
I had not considered the nail polish idea, no. For the first batch I painted the cockpits black. Not ideal but workable. I still have not decided on color for the An Ting ones. seeing how a lot of people paint them silver and then a wash of a chosen color, I might take that approach myself. Nail polish might be too difficult to paint well? No idea really 

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #59 on: 20 October 2021, 11:44:46 »
Really nice work mate :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/