Register Register

Author Topic: Warrior House McSweeney  (Read 2606 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Warrior House McSweeney
« on: 03 June 2021, 18:06:48 »
It is no secret that the Northwind Agreement split the Highlanders, with a not insignificant number of the mercenaries electing to stay with the Capellan Confederation. Amongst these was Captain Iona McSweeney, who commanded a training chard tasked with providing replacement MechWarrors for the line units. Stating that honour demanded she stay with the Confederation, Captain McSweeney parted ways with the bulk of the Highlanders when they departed for their ancestral homeworld.

Gathering a number of fellow ex-Highlanders, Captain McSweeney petitioned newly appointed Chancellor Romano Liao that they be allowed to serve together, to prove that not all of the Highlanders had forsaken their oaths. In a fit of anger, Chancellor Liao stated that, not only would they serve together, but they would form the nucleus of a new Warrior House, which could only recruit from former Highlanders or their descendants.

Thus was born Warrior House McSweeney, consisting of a single company of BattleMechs, two companies of light infantry and a overworked and understrength support staff. House transport consists of a single hastily converted Overlord class DropShip, Oathkeeper.

Sweeper Lance:
PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk
PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk
STG-3R Stinger
WSP-1L Wasp

Hammer Lance:
WVR-6R Wolverine
GRF-1S Griffin
VLK-QA Valkyrie
VLK-QA Valkyrie

Anvil Lance:
MAD-3L Marauder
WHM-6L Warhammer
ARC-2R Archer
RFL-3N Rifleman

I decided that my Davion regiment needed a Red Team, so figured I'd an old idea of mine. I currently only have the 'Mechs from the Starter box, along with the Command and Battle Lance sets (A Time Of War is OOS everywhere), so my opinions are somewhat limited. As such, all advice is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2021, 06:25:11 by JA Baker »
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Re: Warrior House McSweeney
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2021, 18:19:01 »
I like it, nice 3030 era unit. And I love the fluff - had to be some Highlanders who felt their honour would be slighter by leaving House Liao.
One imagines they paint their Mechs in tartan?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2021, 18:24:36 »
One imagines they paint their Mechs in tartan?
If only I was that good a painter  ;D

No, I'm thinking emerald green, with a scarlet stripe from the right shoulder to left hip, meeting a scarlet 'belt'. Obviously, the Marauder will have to be somewhat different.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2021, 19:51:12 »
The Phoenix Hawk and Valkyrie NEED to swapped in that organization.  A 6/9/6 short lance and a 5/8/5 short lance are worth more than two 5/8/5 "lances".

Second, if you need any AToW help, just ask!  :thumbsup:

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2021, 22:52:45 »
If only I was that good a painter  ;D

No, I'm thinking emerald green, with a scarlet stripe from the right shoulder to left hip, meeting a scarlet 'belt'. Obviously, the Marauder will have to be somewhat different.

I painted up a lance YEARS ago in tartan. I did a black wash and then painted the limbs, bits of torso, etc red.
Let it dry. And then went over the red - very fine, straight brush strokes of white, then blue, then green and yellow done vertically. Let it dry and then do the same horizontal.
Very, very fine brush and even with my shaky arse hands I was able to do something that looked like decent tartan.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2021, 22:38:53 »
Mcfweeneys?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2021, 05:59:45 »
The 'mech organization definitely looks better.  You mentioned they have an Overlord... do they have any ASF?  What about vehicles (at least APCs for the infantry... maybe a Karnov)?

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2021, 07:22:58 »
You mentioned they have an Overlord... do they have any ASF?  What about vehicles (at least APCs for the infantry... maybe a Karnov)?
At the moment? No. They're essentially a punishment unit for people deemed to be of questionable loyalty to the Coordinator and Confederation. They're at the very bottom of the list for support, supplies and equipment. The 'Mechs they have are all pilot-owned, and even the DropShip was something that was gifted to the warriors who stayed behind by the Highlanders, mostly because it wasn't considered worth taking with them.

Warrior House McSweeney is Romano Liao venting her frustration against the Highlanders by, ironically, punishing those who remained loyal.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2021, 08:32:07 »
Ah, makes sense... I think they should at least have one recovery vehicle, if nothing else.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2021, 11:38:35 »
The infantry could add some Support punch with LRM batteries maybe, or some portable field guns. If you want them to play a role in the battle, of course.

Some support vehicles should easily be available as well.

I am not a fan of naming the house after the leader, but that is me. I would prefer a meaningful name, like Warrior House Stalwart or Warrior House Remainers. Or True Highlanders.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2021, 13:34:49 »
All the other Capellan Warrior Houses are named after their founder I believe so it fits with that theme.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2021, 06:27:12 »
Won a Phoenix Hawk and a Valkyrie on eBay, so I at least now have a full BattleMech Company for them.

Next will be working on the armour and infantry: thinking a company of each for a combined arms Battalion is a good place to start.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2021, 18:15:55 »
Ah, makes sense... I think they should at least have one recovery vehicle, if nothing else.

One that wasnt running at the time of the breakup of course

as to the unit, when I first saw this, the first thing I thought of was
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0400717/mediaviewer/rm3355744256/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

you could role-play just by imitating Billy Connoly ;-)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2021, 19:28:47 »
Very nice, though, I do question the 1S model Griffin instead of the more common 1N.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #14 on: 14 June 2021, 20:37:45 »
Very nice, though, I do question the 1S model Griffin instead of the more common 1N.
Well, because the CapCon was so short of PPC's for a long time, to the point where the 3L Marauder (as the unit has) had to drop one in favour of a Large Laser and two additional heat sinks.

Hence, saving any spare PPC's for the Warhammer would probably be a good idea.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 15 June 2021, 10:03:29 »
Well, because the CapCon was so short of PPC's for a long time, to the point where the 3L Marauder (as the unit has) had to drop one in favour of a Large Laser and two additional heat sinks.

Hence, saving any spare PPC's for the Warhammer would probably be a good idea.

The FWL was fluffed as being short on PPCs.   
I don't recall any mention of the CC having that issue.
I thought the CapCon mod was just a better way to manage the heat load.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #16 on: 15 June 2021, 11:24:45 »
The FWL was fluffed as being short on PPCs.   
I don't recall any mention of the CC having that issue.
I thought the CapCon mod was just a better way to manage the heat load.
I'm just going by Sarna.net:
MAD-3L
Built for House Liao in 2905, the 3L attempted to make the Marauder more heat efficient (and make up for a shortage in reliable PPCs) by replacing one of the arm-mounted particle cannons with a large laser. Additionally, two more heat sinks were added to further increase the Marauder's heat efficiency.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 15 June 2021, 11:40:34 »
I'm just going by Sarna.net:

Yeah, I think the Wiki has an error.

The Cappies created the Vindicator & Cataphract that both use PPCs & in 30+ years I've never heard of Liao having a PPC shortage in any book.

I think someone got the Marik fluff confused when they updated Sarna.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #18 on: 15 June 2021, 11:56:54 »
Yeah, I think the Wiki has an error.

The Cappies created the Vindicator & Cataphract that both use PPCs & in 30+ years I've never heard of Liao having a PPC shortage in any book.

I think someone got the Marik fluff confused when they updated Sarna.

It says "shortage in reliable PPCs". Somebody apparently placed a major order with Honest Hanks Discount Weaponry - company motto "Marginally more likely to kill the enemy than your soldiers".
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 15 June 2021, 18:32:00 »
It says "shortage in reliable PP Cs". Somebody apparently placed a major order with Honest Hanks Discount Weaponry - company motto "Marginally more likely to kill the enemy than your soldiers".
I think I ran that scam in some game supplying periphery Merc units, selling "seconds" to them...  out of a basicly demilitarize Union (basicly half of the mech bays were pulled, had small repair shop, basic weapon shop and "factory") that was our sales office, Leopard CV that couldn't enter atmosphere but could provide air cover, and Invader to transport us.

But would never had taken a deal to supply a major house...

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #20 on: 17 June 2021, 12:19:49 »
Also... do I detect a subtle Discworld reference in the warrior house´s name?
-Frederick the Great

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #21 on: 17 June 2021, 14:09:37 »
Also... do I detect a subtle Discworld reference in the warrior house´s name?
A very old and established family, I assure you  8)

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #22 on: 17 June 2021, 14:17:31 »
A very old and established family, I assure you  8)

:thumbsup:
-Frederick the Great

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Warrior House McSweeney
« Reply #23 on: 01 July 2021, 05:54:02 »
Okay, so I'm now collecting infantry. Going with re-basing Dark Age pieces, with three standard foot infantry squads and either a SRM or heavy weapons squad per platoon. Then giving each platoon a heavy APC for mobility.

Thoughts?

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #24 on: 01 July 2021, 09:37:27 »
That would work. Of course, the standard Warrior House ends up being a BN of Mechs, and a BN of infantry. But if they're on a list of people Romano doesn't like, they may not get that large.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2021, 09:44:11 by nerd »
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #25 on: 01 July 2021, 14:10:40 »
That would work. Of course, the standard Warrior House ends up being a BN of Mechs, and a BN of infantry. But if they're on a list of people Romano doesn't like, they may not get that large.
It's starting off as a combined arms Battalion, with a company each of 'Mechs, armour (next on the shopping list) and infantry, but I already have plans for expanding it.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 01 July 2021, 17:13:23 »
Have you considered the Capellan sniper rifle from Shrapnel #1?  It's pretty sweet...

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #27 on: 01 July 2021, 17:56:07 »
Have you considered the Capellan sniper rifle from Shrapnel #1?  It's pretty sweet...

Not read it yet, but I am bidding on some ghillie suit squads for a scout unit, so I may include a sniper team in that.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 01 July 2021, 18:04:10 »
It does 0.28 damage and has a TW range of 7/14/21.  Two of them per squad take your Auto-Rifles out to LRM range (with no minimum).  That's the most cost efficient way to deploy them.  The thread linked in my sig block has more details.

mellowgoth

• Recruit
« Reply #29 on: 22 August 2021, 22:36:18 »
Heh - I named my MWO unit Warrior House McSweeney a couple of years ago...only a couple of folks seemed to pick up on the Pratchett reference...

An old established house with a long history of glorious service to the Confederation!