Register Register

Author Topic: BattleTech Wet Navy Organization  (Read 305 times)

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
BattleTech Wet Navy Organization
« on: 03 June 2021, 17:53:35 »
Another thing I've been kicking around in my head for a while. Some stuff has been in my head for a while, and I wrote this up after work today. I know per the MUL, Sea Skimmers aren't available outside the Lyran State, but they are quite simple, and I'd expect light hydrofoils to be common in the Inner Sphere. If you don't like them, replace them with Harassers.

There have been wet navy units available in the BattleTech universe since the release of the original Technical Readout 3026 in 1987, with the Sea Skimmer, Monitor and Neptune vehicles. However, considering the nature of naval Tables of Organization and Equipment as being poorly discussed, and often contradictory at times. In this case, this provides a basis for organizing maritime forces.
   The basis for any sea going force is the watercraft. Depending on size, the organization can vary. Given the small size of most published ships in the BattleTech setting, a different level of organization may be required. On most worlds, the highest wet navy command would be a named fleet. It would then be subdivided into numbered fleets, and those numbered fleets are organized operationally into task forces, and administratively into groups. Often, commanders may wear multiple hats as to the command of units, or when starmobile, are operationally identical with the administrative chain of command. Those groups are made up of squadrons, normally of a single role, but at times, there may be multiple types of craft under a single squadron. Squadrons may have a dual role, as both operational commands or as just administrative commands. When squadrons are divided, the subunits are divisions, which encompass smaller ships, and divisions become patrols. Other arms, such as infantry, and VTOL support, are usually attached at the appropriate level.
   As an illustration, here is an Assault Group from the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns, around 3067. It includes blue water, submarine, and inshore units, as well as attached support elements, and is notionally capable of interstellar transit.

Commander, Naval Assault Group Commodore
   Deputy Commander Light Commodore
   Chief of Staff Light Commodore
      N1 Personnel Leftenant
      N2 Intelligence Captain
      N3 Operations Major
      N4 Logistics Captain
      N6 Communications Captain
   Destroyer Squadron 2 Light Commodore
      4 Rapier-class patrol destroyers Majors
   Submarine Squadron 17 Light Commodore
      1 Seahorse submarine (Tender) Captain
                Submarine Division 171 Major
         12 Neptune submarines (Standard) Two Captains, Nine Leftenants
      Submarine Division 172 Major
         12 Neptune submarines (LRT) Two Captains, Nine Leftenants
      Submarine Division 173 Major
         12 Neptune submarines (SRT) Two Captains, Nine Leftenants
   Coastal Squadron 193 Light Commodore
      4 Mauna Kea command vessels Three Lefteants
      Coastal Division 1931 Major
         8 Monitor Naval Vessels One captain, six Leftenants
      Coastal Division 1932 Captain
         12 Sea Skimmer Hydrofoils five Leftenants, six Sergeants
   Maritime Helicopter Squadron 43 Light Commodore
      Combat Flight Captain
         4 Warrior H-7 Attack Helicopters
      Utility Flight Captain
          4 Ferret Light Scout VTOLs (Cargo)
      Cargo Flight Captain
         4 Karnov-UR VTOLs
   571st Independent Jump Troop Battalion (Maritime) Leftenant Colonel
      HHC Major (XO)
      4 Destroyer born Companies, each of three Machine Gun, and one LRM Platoons
      1 Inshore company, 4 Platoons Machine Guns Jump Infantry
   Support Battalion Major
      Civil Engineering Company Captain
                     Two motorized engineer infantry platoons, four engineering vehicles, two Pompier FireMechs
      Medical Company: Major
         One MASH vehicle, four ambulances
      Security Force Company: Captain
         Three Security Platoons (Mechanized ballistic Rifle Infantry)
      Transport Company Captain
         Four ATAE-70 LoaderMechs
         16 trucks
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Decoy

• Captain
Re: BattleTech Wet Navy Organization
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2021, 19:02:19 »
Hrrm...are their any provisions for converting available merchant men on planet into CVEs? Or is this mostly battlemech scale units?

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2021, 19:42:49 »
That staff needs an N5 Plans officer... I would argue for an O-4.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2021, 21:01:19 »
Hrrm...are their any provisions for converting available merchant men on planet into CVEs? Or is this mostly battlemech scale units?
Yes, you could convert a support vehicle into an aircraft carrier. There's a 30,000 ton merchant design in TRO:VA, and with a bit of work, you could convert it into a carrier design. There's also the Luftenberg class supercarrier, and Lysander and Argo submarine carriers.

That staff needs an N5 Plans officer... I would argue for an O-4.
I didn't have one, because I've never seen a Plans shop, and didn't consider it. It's always been part of Operations in my 14+ years.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2021, 21:08:44 »
The US Navy does like to merge those two (because eh, why plan beyond 72 hours?), but when interstellar travel is part of the equation, you really need to think longer term...  ^-^

warhammer74

• Corporal
  • Oh look its a bird
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2021, 12:47:36 »
Thats because 72 hour plans if going well.  If not your down to plan (OSWF) Oh Shit We ******