Register Register

Author Topic: Garbage Universe, the multiversal toilet  (Read 617 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Garbage Universe, the multiversal toilet
« on: 08 May 2021, 02:08:02 »
Hey, you're finally awake...

Sorry we kept you under for so long. And... uh, seized your ship and shot you with baton guns too I guess. We had to make sure what we were dealing with. Go through your ship's records, give you the full physical workup.

Your log says your from some place called the Republic of the Sphere, specifically from terra. The commander was considering dumping you on the spot when he heard, but it looks like you're from Terra, but not, like, "Terra" Terra. So we're not terribly worried. But we'll keep an eye on you just in case an octopus sprouts out of your head or you start expressing deep religious opinions on telecommunications.

I'm getting to where you are and what's going on, stop yelling!

Anyway, you're in the New Dallas system, or what you would call the New Dallas system. We call it something else, divergent history and all that. So your ship got where it was going, kinda, except completely not. Gimmie a second, we have cards written up to explain this.

Ahem... Welcome traveler. The science of your homeland has likely taught you that for every action there is an infinite number of possible outcomes. Your science may have even postulated that all of these outcomes occur in infinite alternate realities. For you this is most likely merely theoretical. However, we of the Sanctuary of Humanity are here to tell you that not only is this mostly accurate, but you have the distinct honor of having crossed the boundary between realities and found yourself here in our humble timeline...

This goes on for a while... anyway, the short form is that multiverse theory is correct, free will exists, and due to some random fault during your jump you've fallen into an alternate universe.

Look, I know it sounds ridiculous. It always sounds ridiculous to you outsiders. As near as we can tell, collecting data from you trans-universal types all these centuries, this doesn't happen almost everywhere else, or if it does it's such a unique occurrence that billions of travelers from thousands of timelines didn't bring any stories of it outside their speculative fiction. Something about how the boundary states of reality are defined. Somehow, here the walls are thinner. The first incursion happened as soon as the first guy flipped the switch on the Deimos core. Three other cores showed up at the jump points and Terra blew up. And it's been happening constantly ever since. Individual ships, fleets, entire armies, whole planets just show up somewhere. All refugees from an almost but not quite infinite multiverse. And they usually start trashing each other and any locals they find out of panic or a desire to conquer their unexpected new homes.

Mankind has been under constant assault from other, more dickish flavors of mankind for centuries now. In this universe, everything bad that can happen has happened and just keeps happening. And not just ordinary people like you or me. Werewolves, Vampires, Wizards, Elves, Aliens, Robuts, and everything between. The last big incursion we had to fight was an invasion from the Meowgistracy of Nyanopuss. And listen, I live in this universe and even I think that's messed up.

No, no, I get it, you just want to go home. Well you can't. You think if we knew how to send you people home, you'd still be here? Can't even send you back to Terra. We've actually destroyed that planet like sixty seven times and it just keeps popping up, and every time it does something awful comes out. Now whenever we find out it exists again we just huck rocks at it until it goes back to being dead.

But cheer up, you came out in one of the few relatively safe places left in this universe. And our evaluation of your personal timeline, your physiology, and your emotional responses have you pegged as a Type A74 baseline universe. Exodus Subtype, Jihad seven, which means you're safe enough for us to not kill you all and toss your bodies into the sun. Instead, you get immigration paperwork.

So yeah, welcome to Garbage Universe.

Author's note: This is all I have so far, feel free to throw in your own submissions about what weird, terrible, or stupid things might have found there way into Garbage universe to threaten the few remaining enclaves of normal, right thinking people.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Dave Talley

• Major
Re: Garbage Universe, the multiversal toilet
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2021, 09:21:00 »
you killed Earth!
it got better :-)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2021, 17:11:20 »
A few non-BT ideas:
They grow on you
From the Palladium game Splicers, how about Bio-mechs, bio-power armor, etc?  The pilots are human, their mecha can (slowly) regenerate, only need TL A supplies (food, water, sunlight, rocks, etc), but need a lot of the raw materials to stay alive.  The advantage is that they only need a few cells and a few carefully selected personnel to grow new mecha (industrial and combat).  They don't use metal, so fortunately the Nanobot Plague didn't get brought along.  They don't use vehicles, because growing a wheel is much trickier than you would expect, vs growing a leg.  They will be eager to trade for genetic samples of strange creatures, to see if those genetics can be used to make better creatures.  Their industrial space stations would be Processing Plants, with their leaves tuned to capture as much solar energy as possible, while also extending filaments outwards to keep the creature cool.

Mars crew
From X-Com Afterlight, the Mars base is dropped into this garbage universe.  So instead of about 3 dozen people caretaking the cryogenic storage (of 10,000 people), they are now suddenly in contact with millions of other humans, who are eager to meet them and trade technology.  The base no longer has to deal with upcoming Beastmen attacks, no Martian bases waking up, and no backstabbing Reticulans to their south (or the true Reticulans arriving later).  So instead of combat needs, they now have economic traders eager to meet and help them, for a price.

Fworta crash
From Odyssey's Tale of the Comet, the Rael starship was invaded by robotic troops from an AI called the Overseer.  The standard dimensional gateway shutdown was trashed, so one person had a bright idea of shooting the control panel.  Instead of causing the dimensional gateway to just blow up, it blew up and also transported then to this universe.  The ship will crash on an uninhabited planet, where the Rael survivors will try to get away from the ship, to form a base.  The Secondary Director in charge of this part of the Overseer's forces will attempt re-contact, and when that doesn't work will go back to its default programming of kill all organics.

To avoid this force being overwhelming, the Collectors and Replicators will operate on a 1-month gathering/construction cycle.  This means 1 C/R set (1 Collector and 2 Replicators, but Replicators are actually a fancy industrial robot, not Star Trek or Stargate Replicators) will gather 2 units of materials every month, needing 6 months to make a second C/R set.  The two C/R sets will then need 3 months to gather enough materials to make a 3rd C/R set.  The 3 sets will then need 2 months to make a 4th set, aso.  (The growth rate is 1/180 their size, FRD, every day).  The original game had the gathering rate occurring every day, so one C/R set with access to plentiful resources would be 59 sets after only 30 days

Warstrider
The Dalriss had their jump go bad, and one of their living ships got stuck into this universe.  On the bright side, they have lots of biological technology on board their ship, and the human forces on board have access to industrial technology (and a lot of Nanotech).

Heighliner
The Spacing Guild prefers to jump to known locations, but Baron Harkonnen was willing to pay more to have them jump farther away from Arrakis in order to come as a surprise.  It was quite a surprise when they jumped into a system that definitely did not have Arrakis in it.  Now the Baron is stuck in this universe, with fifty legions of his own troops, and two legions of Imperial Sardaukar.  The Guild personnel are SOL since there is no supply of spice present, but while they last they can provide logical advice.  Still, there is an inhabited planet in this star system, so perhaps the Baron would want to make New Giedi Prime right there?

And one BT idea:
Misfits arrive!
The jump operator misread one digit, so instead of typing  an 'O' a '0' was typed instead, and the experimental K-F drive went poink.  They have arrived in the garbage-verse, every one of them eager to blame someone else for their troubles, and all knowing they they are the best to make the decision.  Can Captain Cromwell get his crew back under control in order to figure out what is going on, or will his crew go in their own directions and ignore him in the process?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2021, 22:21:08 »
Gundam style new types.

In-universe terms more mechs would be built with interface style cockpits. And it would add back the old idea of mech warriors needing specific brain waves and such.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2021, 03:58:45 »
A giant vessel. looking more like a Gothic cathedral than a spaceship, emerges torn out of hyperspace. Survivors launch in pods, which drop to the surface. They appear to be Elementals - at least, they're huge, and in battle armour, some in blue, some in yellow.

I wonder if they're friendly?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2021, 20:22:39 »
Misjumps from another universe, where man reached the stars, but found he had cousins already out there. And some of them are telepaths.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2021, 20:56:27 »
Two things that occur to me:

Cthulhoid denizens of various multiverses that exist in the Laundry Files series by Charles Stross.  One got invoked by Nazi Germany in one parallel universe, which ended up feeding on that universe, causing accelerated entropy, slowly causing that universe to wind down to nothing.  The air on that alternate Earth had already dropped cold enough that the carbon dioxide fell like snow.  Fun stuff there.

Of course, then there's also the denizens that exist outside the universe of the Dresden Files, kept at bay by the Outer Gates guarded by Queen Mab and the armies of the Winter Court.
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2021, 10:13:46 »
Misjumps from another universe, where man reached the stars, but found he had cousins already out there. And some of them are telepaths.

Do you, perchance, play Traveller? [grin]
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2021, 10:21:08 »
The RIFTS setting is a big fan of the Multiverse, but also has no off-earth transport. The Eclipse Phase setting would be unpopular if the Titan Plague came through too. And of course, should the Dark Symmetry from Mutant Chronicles reach through, things could also get very dark.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2021, 15:29:36 by Simon Landmine »

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2021, 10:49:07 »
The _RIFTS_ setting is a big fan of the Multiverse, but also has no off-earth transport. The _Eclipse Phase_ setting would be unpopular if the Titan Plague came through too. And of course, should the Dark Symmetry from _Mutant Chronicles_ reach through, things could also get very dark.

For the Rifts setting, how about Mutants in Orbit?  If some of the drives use dimensional hopping, or a random rift opens up while a group is performing a low-orbit satellite grab, that could allow for a few characters to come over.

Or a few ships from Robotech with their foldspace drives show up at the wrong times.  Perhaps this way they can have the Flower of Life planted and still be safe from the Invid?

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2021, 11:04:49 »
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2021, 15:37:53 »
Yes. http://travellersandbox.blogspot.com/

Ooh, nice! Cheers! (Just starting up a one-player/one-GM run-through of an adventure with a mate over Discord, using Mongoose Traveller 1e.)

Register