Register Register

Author Topic: Wieczorek's Archers mercenary unit and the Wyatt Militia  (Read 10010 times)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Re: Wieczorek's Archers mercenary unit
« Reply #360 on: 04 December 2022, 10:12:04 »
Just wanted to say: now that we are past the conceptual stage (and into 3150) I don 't have anything useful to add, but I'm still keeping an active interest in this. Keep it coming!
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #361 on: 04 December 2022, 14:27:11 »
F16 most of us who been helping him have very limited 3060+ era knowledge.  But we are here to help out with what we do know.   :thumbsup:

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #362 on: 04 December 2022, 14:39:41 »
Heck, my knowledge past 3040 or so is limited, but that hasn't stopped me from trying to help...  8)

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #363 on: 04 December 2022, 19:59:54 »
3150 era is pretty much finished, pending the movement of the timeline into the mid-decade and finding out more of what the Tamar Pact is doing.  I ended up adjusting the 5% of my combat forces price as part of the contract payment structure to 3%; it reflects a small nation's equally small budget but still provides a nice bit of profit assuming I don't horribly suffer major battle losses.  Assuming everything survives the garrison contract and a quiet coreward end of the Tamar Pact, here's how Kampfgruppe Wieczorek looks at the start of 3153.

Code: [Select]
Alpha Battery
Artillery Fire Lance
ARC-5W Archer "Mirage" Upgrade Regular
ARC-5W Archer "Wieczorek" Upgrade Regular
ARC-5W Archer "Wieczorek" Upgrade Green
Rifleman IIC Green
Artillery Fire Lance
ARC-5W Archer "Wieczorek" Upgrade Green
Rifleman IIC Green
Artillery Fire Lance
ARC-5WA Archer "Wieczorek" Upgrade Veteran
ARC-5WA Archer "Wieczorek" Upgrade Green
ARC-5WA Archer "Wieczorek" Upgrade Green
Rifleman IIC Veteran
Tank Lance
Goblin ISV "Wieczorek" Veteran

Bravo Company
Command Team
Goblin ISV "Wieczorek" Elite
Goblin ISV "Wieczorek" Regular
Medium Battle Lance
Infantry Platoon
Motorized DSK Largo SGA Squad Regular
Infantry Platoon
Motorized DSK Largo SGA Squad Veteran

Charlie Company
Command Team
Foot DSK Largo SGA Squad Regular
Infantry Platoon
Foot DSK Largo SGA Squad Elite
Infantry Platoon
Foot DSK Largo SGA Squad Veteran
Infantry Platoon
Artillery Fire Lance
Chaparral (Standard) "Wieczorek" Veteran

Delta Company
Aviation Scout Lance
Ferret (Artillery Scout) Regular
Ranger Platoon
Jump L5L Laser Sniper Rifle Squad Regular
Ranger Platoon
Jump L5L Laser Sniper Rifle Squad Veteran
Ranger Platoon
Ranger Platoon
Jump L5L Laser Sniper Rifle Squad Green

Mike Company
Battle Armor Platoon
Infiltrator Mk II (Marine) Squad Regular
Infiltrator Mk II (Marine) Squad Veteran

Sierra Company
Transport Lance
Heavy Tracked APC Veteran
Heavy Tracked APC Elite
Transport Lance
Engineer Lance
Buffel VIII Engineering Support Vehicle Elite
Buffel VIII Engineering Support Vehicle Veteran
Uni CargoMech Regular
Combat Engineer DSK Largo SGA Squad Veteran
Combat Engineer DSK Largo SGA Squad Veteran

I ended up going with the Marine variant of the Infiltrator armor since I'm buying them as space marines; I figure the laser would work fine against other BA attackers and a Firedrake needler would make a great AP weapon in space.  Not much to say beyond previous posts; I went with the extra lance of artillery 'Mechs with Arrow IV launchers - yes, upgraded to Clan spec, same with the Chaparrals.  Future plans include adding another lance of Arrow IV Archers and a Rifleman IIC, then splitting Alpha Battery into two firing batteries with an extra lance of tanks as bodyguards.

No, I'm not buying Davy Crocketts; 3153 Mirage is too honorable for that.  That finishes Kampfgruppe Wieczorek, and their hate-on for the Jade Falcons.

And now for the 3rd Succession War version of the force, here's what I ended up with.
Command Battery
Artillery Fire Lance
ARC-2STC Command Archer Veteran
ARC-2ST Archer Regular
ARC-2ST Archer Regular
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
Artillery Fire Lance
ARC-2ST Archer Regular
ARC-2ST Archer Green
ARC-2ST Archer Green
ARC-2S Archer Veteran

Alpha Company
Command Team
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
Fire Support Lance
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
ARC-2S Archer Green
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
Tank Lance
Rommel Veteran
Rommel Elite
Rommel Elite
Rommel Regular
Infantry Platoon
Motorized Infantry AR++ Squad Elite

Beta Company
Command Team
ARC-2S Archer Regular
ARC-2S Archer Regular
Fire Support Lance
ARC-2S Archer Regular
ARC-2S Archer Regular
ARC-2S Archer Regular
ARC-2S Archer Regular
Tank Lance
Rommel Green
Rommel Regular
Rommel Veteran
Rommel Veteran
Infantry Platoon
Motorized Infantry AR++ Squad Veteran

Gamma Company
Engineer Lance
Uni CargoMech Green
DemolitionMech Regular
Lumberjack Green
Buffel ESV VII Veteran
Transport Lance
Wheeled Heavy APC Veteran
Wheeled Heavy APC Elite
Transport Lance
Flatbed Truck Veteran
Flatbed Truck Regular
Flatbed Truck Regular
Flatbed Truck Regular
Transport Lance
Flatbed Truck Veteran
Flatbed Truck Veteran
Flatbed Truck Veteran
Flatbed Truck Veteran

Something to make F16 happy, and myself as well - accounting is so much easier with pre-Clan Invasion technology...

I ended up breaking up the battery into two lances with a bodyguard 'Mech in each lance; that's the command unit for the whole battalion.  I figure they're far enough behind the lines that I can have a battalion commander doublehatting as battery commander as well; I ended up stripping the MLs off the command mech and giving it two tons of Communications Equipment just like the 3151 version.  The rest is pretty straightforward, with the infantry providing anti-personnel capability that the 'Mechs and tanks lack.

I think that about does it for the 3rd SW version of the unit.  Now I just need to find someone to play with, LOL.

And for the record, I'm also preferring the pre-Clan Invasion era myself, just because it's what I grew up learning and nearly memorized, lol.  I just wanted to do something in the current timeframe to follow the breakup of the Lyran Commonwealth, and the whole Tamar patriotism thing felt like a good way to roll.  I don't know much of the Dark Age era well at all, but I've been reading what I can find.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions, they are appreciated - as is the interest in the unit.

I should come up with some more stuff for the 3rd Succession War version, just to flesh out the unit.  Unfortunately there's not a lot of major fights in the era, so I suppose I'll be defending against raids and committing a few of our own aside from the occasional planetary invasion attempt.  Fortunately the Lyrans are still quite wealthy in the era, so it should not be hard to make a fast buck with the Archers and slowly grow the unit over time.

Which poses the question - with the current organization of Wieczorek's Archers, just what should I focus on for expansion?  My thinking is to clone the fighting companies and bring in a third to make it a proper battalion with support elements, then start adding a second artillery battery, maybe a battery of Long Tom carriers to really bring the long-range boom.  Shame you can't put an LT on a 'Mech...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #364 on: 04 December 2022, 20:19:25 »
Have you considered arming the bodyguards with Artillery Cannons?  You can totally fit a Long Tom Artillery CANNON on a 'mech...  ^-^

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #365 on: 04 December 2022, 21:14:01 »
Have you considered arming the bodyguards with Artillery Cannons?  You can totally fit a Long Tom Artillery CANNON on a 'mech...  ^-^

A quick check of TacOps says that they're a Lyran invention started in 3000 and reaching production in 3012.  I wonder, maybe the Archers got used as a testbed unit during that time - the Long Tom Cannon fits in the same crit space as a Thumper, but it weighs five tons more.  I can drop the SRM 4, its ammo, and the lasers, leaving an LRM15 with two tons of ammo and an LTC with three tons of ammo onboard.  Artillery cannons can make indirect attacks, but don't get the immobile-target -4 modifier (boo) like other weapons do.  ...Strike that, lose the LRM launcher and its ammo as well, and add 9 heat sinks to the 'Mech.  The only gun it has is the LTC, because the thing is 20 heat when it fires.

Okay, Rochelle was invaded by the Lyrans in 3007, but they retreated after heavy losses.  I'll say that the Archers were there for the fight, and took some hard lumps of their own, and looked into replacing their Archers - maybe they lost a pair of artillery 'Mechs and got talked into testing out the Long Tom Cannon version as a replacement, in exchange they got fast-tracked ARC-2Ses and more Rommels to replace their battlefield losses.  So the above force listing is prior to the Battle of Rochelle...and I suppose the Archers would like their new LTC 'Mech quite a bit, to the point of ordering a few more of that variant and eventually putting a whole lance together after replacing their lost Thumper units.

So that means the Archers have to be a reliable unit prior to 3007; say the unit was formed and started working for the Lyrans in 3004 during Alessandro Steiner's reign to give them a few years of steady service.  The unit was probably picked to field-test the Long Tom Cannons because Defiance had already worked out the design for their ArtilleryMechs, and the company found the conversion from Thumper to LTC relatively simple compared to trying to modify something else.

EDIT: Testing the Long Tom Cannon proved its destructiveness, especially with fuel-air explosive rounds onboard.  Unfortunately the lack of any other weapons on the 'Mech, the lack of ammunition, and the huge heat burden of the massive cannon, made it unusable outside of dedicated short-ranged fire support.  The Archers mounting the cannon were retained, however, because the weapon's surprise against an unwary foe had led to some battlefield success, and a lance of the LTC 'Mechs were kept in the Archers.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2022, 21:25:28 by ANS Kamas P81 »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #366 on: 04 December 2022, 21:29:12 »
?? for you...  Why not Patton's vrs Rommel's for the 3rd Succession War that makes all of us easier to use knowledge?

as for Kampfgruppe Wieczorek...  looks good.  The hardest part was trying to figure out how to counter it with your "common" enemy forces.   Because I think like an old dirt poor militia unit, not a clan tech equipped force.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #367 on: 04 December 2022, 21:46:43 »
?? for you...  Why not Patton's vrs Rommel's for the 3rd Succession War that makes all of us easier to use knowledge?

Rommels struck me as the better bodyguard unit, and those AC/20s opening holes for LRMs and SRMs to fill makes me smile.  And if you're shooting at the tanks, you're not shooting at the 'Mechs.  I suppose I could do matched pairs, but I've got my infantry providing protection and I like the big cannons better.  Blame my inner Lyran.

as for Kampfgruppe Wieczorek...  looks good.  The hardest part was trying to figure out how to counter it with your "common" enemy forces.   Because I think like an old dirt poor militia unit, not a clan tech equipped force.

Yeah, their threat profile is much stronger aimed at the Clans, so I wanted to push Clan tech on them to be competitive in peer-threat situations.  Between the Falcons, Horses, and Bears, I've got plenty of heavily Clan-tech forces to take on to protect the new Tamar Pact.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #368 on: 05 December 2022, 04:17:43 »
I fluffed Defiance using the Zeus as their initial test bed, but an Archer totally works for follow on integration testing!  :thumbsup:

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #369 on: 06 December 2022, 04:16:56 »
I fluffed Defiance using the Zeus as their initial test bed, but an Archer totally works for follow on integration testing!  :thumbsup:
Well, the prototype date is 3012...maybe the Archers got wrapped up in the deal in 3015 after taking the planet Ford as part of the Lyran offensive there.  Take some losses, need replacement 'Mechs, head to Defiance for refit and reforming the unit and while you're there pick up some new Archers.  They can be on Wyatt when the Wolf's Dragoons come calling in 3016, defending the planet and taking on the best the FWL has to offer and potentially even starting a rivalry/enmity with the Dragoons that continues when the Wolves end up in Lyran service.

Matter of fact, there's a Bowie subsidiary on Wyatt that produced ARC-5Ws; it's probable that this facility was making Archers prior to that and it's just not listed on Sarna.  Where else to hang out and design new Archer variants than a world with an Archer factory?  This also starts the ties of the Wieczorek family to Bowie Industries, if the factory exists on-world in 3016.

Reading further on the 3016 raid by the Dragoons, the 11th Lyran Guards and 17th Arcturan Guards were on-world and held off what looks like six battalions of the Dragoons.  That much of a defense implies there's something valuable there to protect, and I'm going to headcanon it that the Archer production facility was there at the time necessitating the presence of the two Guards regiments.  Putting Wieczorek's Archers there seems like just the right thing to do...at this point I should start coming up with a list of places that they've fought, and who they were against. 

How to employ the ARC-2LTC...my initial response is to put it in the artillery lances as a bodyguard unit, and protect them from fastmovers by targeting hexes.  Sure I don't get the -4 immobile target modifier, but I'm not paying anything for a TMM even on something moving 12 hexes.  That makes it a great weapon to take out scouts and scout-killer 'Mechs that might threaten my artillery otherwise, and be too difficult to hit with their onboard weapons.  So I'd have three lances making up Alpha Battery, with two ARC-2ST Thumper carriers, a -2LTC Long Tom Cannon carrier, and a regular ARC-2S rounding out each lance after the Battle of Rochelle.  Note to self, get heavy Battle Loss Compensation in that particular contract.

So I found a big error in the price of my infantry squads, to the point that I was able to buy another pair of ARC-2Ss to act as a battalion commander and battalion XO.  That converted my one Command Thumper carrier back to a regular Thumper carrier, though I don't have a dedicated command 'Mech customized because I'm not paying 23 million c-bills for a couple tons of communications equipment.

The good news is that I have enough money to buy three full combat loads for everything - 96 tons of AC/20 ammo for the Rommels and 342 tons of missiles for the Archers is only three loads!  It's pricey...but it's paid for, so I have enough for a slightly sustained campaign.  It only cost 11.6 million c-bills for munitions, too; that's downright cheap!  :o  There's also a sustainment stockpile of 3 months of food, training ammo, spare parts, fuel, and paychecks, so it's not like I'm scraping each month to keep things running.  And with a net peacetime profit (at the price of 5% of combat forces) of 13.2 million C-bills per month, it won't take long to build up the force.

Man, Combat Operations is really generous to its players, isn't it?  I think that 5% figure's just too high, myself; I'd say 3% or even 2.5% is better as a general figure.  That way you're not buying two 'Mechs a month and can afford siginificant losses and still rebuild; a lower percentage gives that feeling of living on the edge and needing good contracts to make real money on.  Considering the various contract modifiers that can come in as well, it seems like it's just too easy to turn significant profits.

So I start in 3004 deployed to the FWL front, soon wrapped up in Operation CONGEALED WEAKSAUCE.  Coventry was one of the worlds hit in raids from the FWL that bypassed those beefed up front lines, and I'd say maybe the Archers had a presence on Coventry to overhaul their engines, since they produce Omni 210s on-world.  The idea is that the artillery 'Mechs were a field modification, custom built one-offs that used centuries-old repurposed power plants rather than something dedicated to the job.  After a couple years of service, the Archers aren't running as good as they should, so the first garrison contract comes to an end with the Archers retiring to Coventry to refurbish the engines with new ones and make them work properly.  That puts them at odds with the 4th Regulan Hussars, who probably did some damage to the Archers on-world as part of their raid on the planet.  It's less a case that Wieczorek's Archers did anything spectacular to turn the 4thRH back, rather that they were simply there in the fighting in some manner.

Follow that up with the 3007 invasion of Rochelle that goes sideways, and then it's garrison duty for a while on a planet to be determined...something warm near the borders of the FWL.  3009 comes along and the Lyrans attack Alula Australis; the Archers end up alongside Snord's Irregulars and the 19th Lyran Guards.  3011 sees them teamed up once more with Snord's Irregulars in the attempted invasion of Dieudonne, pulling back after the failure of the invasion to Callison - just in time to take on the 3rd Silver Hawk Regulars, the Gryphons, and cede the planet to the FWL. 

Luck and timing is not on the Archer's side.

Things chance later, in 3014 when the Marik Civil War starts.  Assigned to deep missions in the FWL, the Archers have a successful series of raids before retreating back to Lyran space.  The next year sees the assault on Ford, a successful planetary assault that nets the Lyran Commonwealth a Thorn factory, boosting light 'Mech production in the world.  The Archers transship to Wyatt, where their next mission is upgrading their forces with more Archers and equipping several with the LTC from the Archers.  Their bad luck strikes again, as the Wolf's Dragoons raid the world with the above results.  The next year, the Archers are called upon again to invade Callison in an attempt to retake it from the FWL; citing their familiarity with the system they're called to serve alongside the 17th Arcturan Guards.  The invasion goes poorly, and the Archers retreat to lick their wounds.

Several years of garrison duty pass before the Archers are called upon again, this time with a change in theater - they, along with Snord's Irregulars and the 12th Star Guards.  The seven months of fighting drew heavily on the Archers, whose familiarity and friendship with the other mercenary forces helped stave off destruction at the hands of the Kuritans.  That same year sees the Wolf's Dragoons join the Lyran government, and a hostile relationship with the famed mercenaries grows bitter during the Dragoons presence.  The next year is quiet, giving the Archers time to rest and rebuild from their rapid series of campaigns, before word comes of the Kuritan assault on Tamar in 3022.  Barely three jumps away on their homeworld of Zoetermeer, the Archers arrive late to the battle but deploy as part of the request for reinforcements, once more alongside Snord's Irregulars as the Kuritans are driven from the field.

After that the Archers are given several years of downtime, officially garrisoning their homeworld of Zoetermeer once more and using the time to expand the mercenary unit, just in time for Operation GOTTERDAMMERUNG to get into swing and sending the Archers across the Kuritan border into the fires of the 4th Succession War.  I don't feel like going into a long list of worlds attacked, but suffice it to say they're there in 3028 to 3030 taking planets for the Lyrans alongside the rest of the armed forces.  After that, not much happens on the borders besides the occasional raid, I'll say that the Archers get reassigned to garrison duty on various planets with the occasional raid prior to the War of 3039 and their participation in Operation STURMHAMMER. 

Past that, they end up taking up garrison posts along the Kuritan border, shifting position from time to time during the decade of peace that saw the revamping of the LCAF into the AFFC.  The growth in technology was not lost on the Archers, and their relationship with Bowie Industries led to future developments that would take advantage of the Extra-Light Fusion Engine developed in 3035 to field test Archers equipped with the system, quickly improving as 3041 would see Double Heat Sinks be in production in the Federated Commonwealth.  This would help the development of -5S and -5W Archers, while the Archers would upgrade their BattleMechs to a standardized refit kit custom built to their design.

Welcome to my brain at 2am.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2022, 04:32:40 by ANS Kamas P81 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #370 on: 06 December 2022, 18:34:43 »
Nice work there!   8)

You mentioned Tamar... have you suggested your unit to drakensis?  They could be sub-contractors to the Kell Hounds in coming to the defense of that world.

For the Callison fiasco, I might recommend: "The invasion goes poorly, and the Archers covered the withdrawal of the 17th Arcturan Guards before retreating to lick their wounds."

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #371 on: 06 December 2022, 18:58:32 »
Nice work there!   8)

You mentioned Tamar... have you suggested your unit to drakensis?  They could be sub-contractors to the Kell Hounds in coming to the defense of that world.

Thank you!  No I have not done that, I didn't know what drakensis was working on.  Subcontractors to the Kell Hounds...that's iffy, I'll have to look closer into the 3022 Tamar battle and see where the Hounds were at the time.  I've been seeing the Archers as a decidedly Lyran mercenary force, a little like the Kell Hounds - money-grubbing patriots as it were.

What's drakensis working on anyway, out of curiosity?

For the Callison fiasco, I might recommend: "The invasion goes poorly, and the Archers covered the withdrawal of the 17th Arcturan Guards before retreating to lick their wounds."

Sounds good to me, yeah. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #373 on: 07 December 2022, 01:53:00 »
Reading it so far, up through the first few chapters.  It's well written, definitely.  I normally don't visit the Fan Fiction forum; I really should more often.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #374 on: 07 December 2022, 04:31:55 »
Definitely!  I think drakensis' "Davion and Davion (deceased)" is the best of the best at the moment.  Cannonshop has a LOT of good stuff too, as does 2ndACR!  :thumbsup:

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #375 on: 09 December 2022, 18:01:26 »
I can't stop changing and reorganizing Wieczorek's Archers in the 3-4SW.  Forget what was here before, I think I'm just gonna shelve the whole thing because I can't be satisfied with a particular organization.  Sorry for the trouble, it was a fun ride while it lasted.  Maybe I'll save it and attack it again tomorrow if I feel better about it.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2022, 19:53:01 by ANS Kamas P81 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #376 on: 11 December 2022, 13:31:35 »
Fingers crossed you feel better tomorrow!  I think all of us that have posted here feel it's a fun and worthwhile effort!   8)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #377 on: 12 December 2022, 22:09:12 »
Fingers crossed you feel better tomorrow!  I think all of us that have posted here feel it's a fun and worthwhile effort!   8)
2nd   :thumbsup:
and we all know the 3-4SW so much better

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #378 on: 12 December 2022, 23:49:57 »
I think part of the trouble was trying to make two separate units and overstretching my brain doing both.  That plus my own typical mental issues just turned me into a stressball and got me hating what I was doing.  Definitely not a constructive headspace.

I'm gonna focus on the 3/4SW era for Wieczorek's Archers, rather than the IlClan timeline.  I know the setting better (we all do, and that's a good thing) and I'm not running around trying to figure out what's going on, and what I should be doing with equipment.  Plus it has all the Classic BattleMechs in the era, and I'm all for the new art.

I suppose I should also decide on that focus, just what I'm going to bring to the field.  Archers, of course, but I also still want to bring a heavy artillery package to a battle.  I've been beating my head on a TOE from Campaign Operations, which I'll pose here in a little bit, but suffice to say they're a battalion sized fighting force with twelve Thumper artillery pieces on six 'Mechs so far.  That much I'm keeping, the rest is to be determined.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #379 on: 13 December 2022, 04:20:44 »
Sounds like a plan!  :thumbsup:

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
« Reply #380 on: 13 December 2022, 05:47:43 »
Yeah, do stick with it if you feel up to it, I've enjoyed the ride/ideas! I understand how sometimes one can overthink these things and make things too complicated for what they are, so a simplification and a contraction of the premise sometimes helps. 

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #381 on: 13 December 2022, 06:23:46 »
Well, I hit the timeline a bit though it's a shame there's no conversion for the 3rd Succession War for A Time Of War.  I'd love to put Mirage through whatever kind of a character creation there is.  So far, I have this as an early look at the command's history, including a bit on Mirage's youth. 

November 1, 2980: Mirage Wieczorek born to Julius and Irina Wieczorek.  Both parents are members of the Twelfth Star Guard mercenary unit, Julius a Technician and Irina a MechWarrior.  They are considered eccentric by the rest of the Wieczorek family, having gone into the mercenary field instead of taking advantage of their noble born status and wealth.  Mirage is raised as a typical mercenary brat, following her parents to a number of different postings while learning the trade at a young age.

2998: Mirage Wieczorek joins the Twelfth Star Guard.  Her skills in working with computers, and an almost supernatural ability to spot patterns in data come in handy.  She is trained as a MechWarrior, following in her mother's footsteps, while learning to become a dedicated AsTech from her father.

3004: Researching her homeworld's history in the Twelfth's Star League era records, she comes to discover that there was a base that stationed the 164th Mechanized Infantry Division on Zoetermeer in 2764.  This base had been lost to time, as the 164th would leave Zoetermeer to take part in the Periphery Uprising, and later leave with General Kerensky in 2784.

Late 3005: Several years worth of accumulated leave is taken to give Mirage time to locate and excavate whatever facility was left behind when the 164th left the world.  With the information gleaned by the Twelfth's database, she is able to discover the sunken and dilapidated remains of the base used by the 164th Mechanized Infantry Division.  There was little to be found of value, but going through the records Mirage discovered the whereabouts of a lost BattleMech factory on the former Rim Worlds planet of Erdvynn, as well as jump coordinates to reach the lost world.

Early 3006: Mirage takes an extended leave of absence from the Twelfth Star Guard, gathering a number of her family's personal guards with her on an expedition to Erdvynn.  The planet is discovered abandoned, and the Diplass factory on the world is soon located and scavenged.  The gains from the world were not as great as hoped; approximately 40 Archer-class BattleMechs in various states of construction as well as a number of components for Firestarter 'Mechs. 

3006: The expedition makes its way back through Lyran space to the world of Coventry, and negotiates a deal to finish and restore 22 of the Archers in exchange for 18 of the most completed chassis and the Firestarter components.  Some of the time in transit is spent designing and fitting several of the Archers with field artillery pieces retrieved from Erdvynn prior to their completion on Coventry.   Mirage's detachment of the Wieczorek Home Guard is on Coventry when the 4th Regulan Hussars attack the world; their conventional forces participate in the defense of the factory and assist in driving off the raiders.  Mirage formally creates the mercenary unit Wieczorek's Archers, and counts the Coventry battle as the first in its history.  The unit is assigned to garrison duty on the world of New Kyoto, which will go on to be the base world of the Archers until 3022 when the unit is transferred to the Draconis Combine border.

The rest of the history is as it says above this post; I'll finish typing it out into better dated chunks and expanding on it here and there later.  Thanks for the kind words, all, I appreciate it - I'm in a better headspace now and I feel like this is coming together more cohesively.

Immensely stupid idea: The Archers, being the only BattleMech force on New Kyoto, are approached at some point during their stay on the world to act as technical advisors for New Kyoto Animation's upcoming holovision series Mädchen und BattleMechs.  Close cooperation with ShinKyoAni (as it is informally known) and a little luck leads to a popular show, and a small boost in recruitment in the LCAF is noted.  The mercenary Archers become a popular sight during festivals, sometimes painted up in the various schemes seen in the MuB animation.

On that note:
Battalion Command Team
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
ARC-2S Archer Elite
Artillery Fire Lance
ARC-2ST2 Archer Regular
ARC-2ST2 Archer Regular
ARC-2ST2 Archer Green
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
Artillery Fire Lance
ARC-2ST2 Archer Regular
ARC-2ST2 Archer Regular
ARC-2ST2 Archer Green
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
Aero Lance
EGL-R6 Eagle Regular
EGL-R6 Eagle Regular

Alpha Company
Company Command Team
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
ARC-2S Archer Regular
Fire Support Lance
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
ARC-2S Archer Regular
ARC-2S Archer Green
ARC-2S Archer Regular
Tank Lance
Goblin (SRM) Elite
Goblin (SRM) Elite
Goblin (SRM) Veteran
Goblin (SRM) Veteran
Infantry Platoon
Foot Infantry AR++ Squad Veteran

Beta Company
Company Command Team
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
ARC-2S Archer Green
Fire Support Lance
ARC-2S Archer Regular
ARC-2S Archer Veteran
ARC-2S Archer Regular
ARC-2S Archer Regular
Tank Lance
Goblin (SRM) Elite
Goblin (SRM) Elite
Goblin (SRM) Veteran
Goblin (SRM) Veteran
Infantry Platoon
Foot Infantry AR++ Squad Elite

Gamma Company
Company Command Team
Warrior H-7 Veteran
Warrior H-7 Elite
Aviation Lance
Warrior H-7 Elite
Warrior H-7 Veteran
Warrior H-7 Veteran
Warrior H-7 Veteran
Aviation Lance
Ferret (Cargo) Veteran
Ferret (Cargo) Regular
Ferret (Cargo) Veteran
Aviation Lance
Ferret (Cargo) Veteran
Ferret (Cargo) Veteran
Ferret (Cargo) Veteran

Delta Company
Transport Lance
Uni CargoMech Regular
Flatbed Truck Elite
Flatbed Truck Veteran
Flatbed Truck Elite
Transport Lance
Uni CargoMech Regular
Flatbed Truck Veteran
Flatbed Truck Elite
Flatbed Truck Elite
Transport Lance
Uni CargoMech Green
Flatbed Truck Veteran
Flatbed Truck Veteran
Flatbed Truck Veteran
I put the artillery directly under the battalion command, along with an Aero Lance of two Eagles.  They may be originally Marik fighters, but they've been around forever and are produced for the LCAF on Gibbs.  It's not fantastic air support, but it's workable, and is versatile enough to handle anything short of interceptors.  Each of the two fighting companies is a combined arms force, the tanks and infantry coming from the Wieczorek family guards troops.  The 'Mechs would need Dispossessed pilots hired from Galatea, and looking at what Mirage got for her money seems to suggest she came out well in the exchange.  There's an aviation company as well, a mix of Warriors and Ferrets for scouting duties including two of Taron Storm's suggestion of mast-mounted recon cameras - only two because they're expensive little buggers.  Last is the logistics company, which is pretty light all told for what I'm loading, but I think it's "enough" without massively expanding my technician corps.

That's a snapshot of the unit in 3006, at the start of their contract work and getting signed on the garrison site for New Kyoto.  It's a Lyran world, so I'll rely on the locals for base construction, though I should probably get myself some more infantry to operate as base security.  Right now I have it set so that each of the squads of infantry can ride (mostly) in Goblins or (occasionally) in Ferrets for deployment as observer teams, though when they're not in the field they can man the gate and watch a BattleMech walk past on patrol.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2022, 06:55:52 by ANS Kamas P81 »

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #382 on: 13 December 2022, 10:40:52 »
I think you've really hit something nice with that current TO&E there.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #383 on: 13 December 2022, 19:09:13 »
Goblins FTW!  :thumbsup:

More seriously, you might want to throw at least one LRM variant into each lance (if not two).  I did a "Half-Goblin" variant around here somewhere mixing LRMs and SRMs...  ^-^

As for character creation, Era Report 3052 helps a little.  Most of the modules you want will work as written.  If you want me to take a crack at her, just let me know.  It may be the weekend before I can do it, though.  Work just got BUSY today...  :-\

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #384 on: 14 December 2022, 00:48:59 »
I think you've really hit something nice with that current TO&E there.

Thanks, I agree.  It finally feels right.

Goblins FTW!  :thumbsup:

I knew you'd approve.  I was thinking of Bulldogs initially, but the way Gobs work with infantry and the firepower some of them have (like the SRM model) is just too tempting to ignore.  Plus they're so darn inexpensive...

More seriously, you might want to throw at least one LRM variant into each lance (if not two).  I did a "Half-Goblin" variant around here somewhere mixing LRMs and SRMs...  ^-^

I can see the utility there, yeah.  I can make that change easy enough, and split the difference with two LRM and two SRM tanks.  What's a few more LRMs in the pile anyway?

As for character creation, Era Report 3052 helps a little.  Most of the modules you want will work as written.  If you want me to take a crack at her, just let me know.  It may be the weekend before I can do it, though.  Work just got BUSY today...  :-\

If you wouldn't mind, I don't have ER 3052.  Basically I'm thinking age 26, Tamar pact origins, merc brat youth, sending her to Sanglamore Academy on Skye, Natural Aptitude: Computers, and come out with 3/4 piloting/gunnery skills.  Also have at least some skill in artillery to reflect her interest in the artillery-carriers.  Skill points in Leadership, Strategy, Negotiation, and Tactics are good for contract negotiations, and give her some skill points in art/drawing. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #385 on: 14 December 2022, 04:25:29 »
I'll see what I can do this weekend.  Fair warning: Natural Aptitude is going to be HARD...  8)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #386 on: 14 December 2022, 07:38:35 »
I like the historical view of the unit it looks good
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #387 on: 14 December 2022, 22:47:40 »
I'll see what I can do this weekend.  Fair warning: Natural Aptitude is going to be HARD...  8)

Hard how so?  If it complicates things too much, skip it, it was just an idea - the whole 'really good at research and seeing patterns in data' thing struck me as interesting, but it can just be fluffy.  Some skill in History/Star League wouldn't hurt either, in that matter.  Actually...if you can put in Natural Aptitude, put it towards History/Star League.  It'd be pretty limited in its usefulness, but considering she grew up in the 12th Star Guards and got tales of the Star League direct from the source it fits her profile.

Now I wonder if she sees herself as a lostech prospector, especially if she's going to be side by side with Snord's bunch a few times in history.

I like the historical view of the unit it looks good

Thank you, it was fun picking apart the history of the border on Sarna and moving around here and there along the FWL border.  I'm tempted to stay with New Kyoto as a base for the Archers, and have them just on long term deployment during the 4th Succession War.  They can return from the Kuritan front in 3031 and start whipping Marik butt again.  Yes, I'm a ******, and New Kyoto satisfies that itch while being Lyran at the same time.  Having an electronics factory on the world to defend is a plus for reasons to put the Archers there.

So in 3006 they officially incorporate after the battle on Coventry, and get assigned to garrison New Kyoto.  I found out that actually puts them in contact with Snord's Irregulars earlier than that; Snord's people were defending Rochelle against the Lyrans and not fighting for them.  That gives me a great rival to work against in 3007, and when Snord switches sides the first assignment he has is to New Kyoto when the FWL raids the world, probably in 3008.  So that's another time that the Irregulars fight alongside the Archers, and they do it on our new base no less.

I suppose I can turn that into a friendly rivalry between the Irregulars and the Archers, since they keep showing up in battles on the FWL border as well.  I'll have to read up on the Irregulars more and plumb the depths of Sarna for details, but I can see Snord's collection-happy nature rubbing off on Mirage.  At the very least they're both fans of the Star League, albeit coming from different origins in a big way, and they both drive Archers so there's a connection there as well.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2022, 23:52:41 by ANS Kamas P81 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #388 on: 15 December 2022, 04:17:16 »
I'll see what I can do... I was already intending to use the "Explorer" module...  ^-^

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #389 on: 15 December 2022, 05:34:29 »
I'll see what I can do... I was already intending to use the "Explorer" module...  ^-^

That could be interesting.  I had a thought that she attended Sanglamore, and partly became a mercenary because of her connections there and the potential reliability question, but I'll leave the details to you.  I'm down with the Explorer module, plus feel free to use any of your custom made life blocks; it's all point-buy in the end so I'm not worried about sticking with just what's in the book as far as that goes.  She grew up a merc brat and very likely learned how to pilot from her mother...hm, I should put them alongside the 12th Star Guard at some point just so Mirage can show Mama how well she's done.  And done, even if it's weird that the 12SG would be fighting for the Lyrans when they're under contract to the Feds.  Maybe it was a loan, it's not stated on Sarna.

So, merc brat origins, Tamar pact originally, did a short stint with the 12th before going Lostech Prospector in 3005 and has a special ability with studying star league history.  Either or for Natural Aptitude or just a strong skill in it.  Give her some Technician/BattleMech skill as well in there, because she's the one who comes up with the idea of mounting twin Thumpers on an Archer, and of course a smattering in Artillery, as well as art/drawing.  Stick with German for language points, English as a second language of course.  No Japanese yet; she'll pick that up on New Kyoto while based there. 

I picked through Sarna's information year by year and came up with what Wieczorek's Archers have been up to.  They're a merry bunch, and apparently like hanging out with Snord's Irregulars; they ended up first as enemies and repeatedly then on the same side very soon after.  This brings them up to 3039, and builds up to regiment size.  I figure they could use the immense pockets of the Lyrans to good use, and rake in some dough.  As it is, they're netting 12.75 million a month in peacetime, so losses won't be difficult to replace.  Time consuming, but not difficult, and expansion plans are definitely something that gets committed to.  Reminder to self, post the DHS-equipped ARC-2S-LTC-A to the fan designs board.

3007: Due to its proximity to the target, Wieczorek's Archers is activated as a mercenary adjunct for the invasion of Rochelle.  The invasion goes poorly, with heavy losses for both Steiner and Marik forces.  The Archers return to New Kyoto to rest and refit, returning to their garrison contract once more and doing their best to fill fresh holes in their force.

3007?: New Kyoto is attacked by House Marik, unspecified units attempting to capture the planet.  While the newly arrived Snord's Irregulars turned the tide of battle with their strikes against critical points held by the FWL, the Archers came through with keeping the rest of the FWL forces too occupied to reinforce against Snord's unexpected assaults.  Wieczorek's Archers is the only unit to have fought against and alongside Snord's Irregulars in a single year, and soon begins a friendly rivalry with the treasure hunters.

3009: After a lengthy period of regaining their strength, the Archers are assigned to the attack on Alula Australis along with Snord's Irregulars and the 19th Lyran Guards.  While Snord's forces found and destroyed the hidden fighter base that prevented their pullout, the Archers provided artillery and fire support to the 19LG during the FWL assault.

3011: With their position on the border of FWL space, the Archers are tapped for the invasion of Dieudonne.  While Wieczorek's Archers deploy alongside the Arcturan Guard units, they come to the rescue of Snord's Irregulars, hitting the Jarvis Flight Militia from behind and giving the Irregulars a chance to break out of their encirclement.  Whether Flade had deliberately dropped them off target was not proven, and the Archers tried to balance their loyalty to the Archon's troops with their friendship with the Irregulars.

3012: While enroute to their home of New Kyoto, the Archers end up at Callison when the world comes under attack from the FWL.  While the Gryphons are considered a joke amongst the FWL, they manage to overrun defenses and take the planet.  The Archers arrive as the last of the defenders are holding off the FWL assault; their mission becomes one to support an evacuation of wounded and noncombatant offworld before the surrender of the planet.

3014: Prototype testing of the Long Tom Cannon begins with several Archers' BattleMechs being selected for upgrading to the new weapon.  While the installation and testing is successful, the weapon is not well received due to its massive weight and high heat.  One lance remains in service among the Archers as a unit intended for breaking up concentrated enemy forces and forcing them to spread apart or suffer severe damage.

3014-15: After receiving word of the Marik Civil War, the Archers undertake a series of deep raids on FWL planets, striking at industrial centers and supply dumps underdefended by the FWL.  These raids last nearly the length of the civil war, prolonged with supplies and munitions stolen from the FWL targets in the raids.  These raids culminate in the invasion of Ford, which was successful and gained the planet for the Lyran Commonwealth.

3016: Beta Regiment of Wolf's Dragoons raids New Kyoto.  The Archers put up a spirited defense of the RAMTech Industries laser factory in the city of Hitihito.  The Archers' artillery pushed past Dragoons positions and began shelling their DropShips, forcing them to pull back and drive off the BattleMechs attacking before retreating offworld.

3019: The LCAF raids the world of Angell II in FWL space.  The Archers are sent along with them with the specific target of raiding the Irian BattleMech factory, bringing along a number of unequipped MechWarriors to steal as many of the Guillotine BattleMechs at the factory as they can.  While the raid doesn't seek to completely take the world, it is a success, with a number of Guillotine 'Mechs retrieved for the Commonwealth.

3020: Snord's Irregulars are lured into an assault on McAffe, with Wieczorek's Archers following after them to support the mercenaries and assist their return to the Lyran Commonwealth.  A plan is worked out between Snord and Wieczorek, where his 'Mechs would pass through the sea and bypass the defense lines, while the heavy artillery support of the Archers would keep the FWL defending lines occupied and focused on a land assault that would never materialize.  Once Snord's forces were in position, the defenders were caught in a pincer and surrendered, allowing both Lyran mercenaries to escape. 

Late 3020: A busy year for the Archers culminates in the invasion of Alexandria, alongside the 32nd Lyran Guards, Snord's Irregulars, and Mirage's own original unit the 12th Star Guards among other mercenary forces.  The invasion is a success, despite heavy losses to the Archers during the fighting.  Wieczorek's Archers returns to New Kyoto to lick its wounds and regain its strength.

3021-3024: The Archers undergo a period of expansion and reorganization; they remain a combined arms force with heavy artillery support and are soley equipped with Archer-type BattleMechs.  Now numbering a reinforced regiment in size, the Archers maintain two battalions of BattleMechs along with a full battalion each of tanks and infantry, and a mixed support battalion of a logistics force and an aviation company.

3024: A company of the Archers deploys alongside Snord's Irregulars to the world of Phecda to secure a water purification plant that was repeatedly targeted by the FWL.  Aligning her force with Snord's, Mirage Wieczorek puts on an act that suggests her forces are joining the Irregulars in a treasure hunt rather than defend the site.  When FWL forces moved to destroy the plant, she took a lesson from Cranston and hid her forces under the water at the plant, surfacing after the explosive trap was set off and dealing the deathblow to the Marik force.  Only a few 'Mechs remained to retreat to their DropShip, and the Archers left the world in Snord's hands to secure it, missing out on the discovery of the hidden Colossus-class DropShip and its lostech inventory.

3027: Wieczorek's Archers take part in Operation THOR, redeploying from New Kyoto to the Kuritan border as part of the strategic rotations of troops in the exercize.  They stay on Zoetermeer after the end of the exercize, while their base and dependents remain behind on New Kyoto.  It is Mirage's first visit back to her homeworld in twenty years, and she reconnects with much of her parents' relatives. 

3028: Operation GOTTERDAMMERUNG sees the deployment of the Archers back to the Kuritan border, participating in the Lyran invasion of the Draconis Combine.  Their first target is the planet Harvest, defended by a massive force of over twenty mixed regiments, however the Lyrans apply a force of forty-three regiments in the attack.  The entirety of the Archers is committed to the battle.  Their next target is Mozirje, which was a vastly different situation as the world had virtually no defenders.  The Archers remain on Mozirje as their experience in Japanese culture on New Kyoto helps acclimate the population to their new Lyran masters.

3030: Prototypes of Double Heat Sinks had been in production for several years, and the Archers are called upon for testing once more - this time installed on their Long Tom Cannon carrying machines, as the weapon's notorious heat burden deprived a MechWarrior of any other weapons to go with it.  The ARC-2S-LTC-A model is significantly improved with ten DHS, with the weight savings allowing a battery of lasers to be installed alongside the massive cannon.

3034: The Free Rasalhague Republic is born, and the Archers return to New Kyoto after a stop at Zoetermeer and Galatea to hire on additional troops.  Their return is welcomed, as the world watches the Andurien-Capellan war with worry that it will spill over FWL borders.  The Archers remain on New Kyoto for several years, finally replacing losses from Operation GOTTERDAMMERUNG and training alongside other units in the LCAF.

3039: After the success of the FWL's first wave of raids, the Archers are called upon to reinforce the world of Callison, which has traded hands repeatedly in the 31st century.  This was a timely transfer, as the world turned out to be a major target of the FWL's post-Andurien-war military.  Timely arrivals of returning LCAF troops turned the FWL's defeat into a rout, and the Archers were moved back to New Kyoto after securing Calliston's status.

Register