Register Register

Author Topic: ~3150 Lyran Company Thought Experiment  (Read 1368 times)

ManicMaestro

• Corporal
~3150 Lyran Company Thought Experiment
« on: 01 February 2022, 11:08:48 »
Inspired by Scotty's discussions on the recognition guide mechs, I wanted to see just how nasty a force you could build using mostly his A-tier and S-tier mechs without being so optimized that no one will play with you. Fortunately, the RATs in Tamar Rising for the LyrCom give access to a lot of really awesome designs, between that and IS General in the MUL I only needed to hand-wave a few mechs.

This is not necessarily meant to be a balanced force, just a showcase of how much damage you can do for the BV with each lance well equipped to operate independently or as a unit. This could be an independent force or fit nicely into just about any battalion I can imagine. So, without further ado:

Command/Assault Lance:
BNC-12S Banshee (BV 2562)
ZEU-11S Zeus (BV 2280)
TDR-8M Thunderbolt (BV 1644)
Rifleman C 3 (BV 1871)

Discussion: This lance will mess you up at just about any range. I had originally wanted to include one of the new Flashman 10Es, but the BV is stratospheric. The Rifleman C 3 gives you about the same ranged damage, the reduced speed isn't crippling given the whole lance is 4/6, and the BV is a steal compared to the Flashy.

Fire Lance:
ARC-4M2 Archer (BV 1742)
CRD-10S Crusader (BV 2264)
RWD-R1 Rawhide (BV 1939)
Mad Cat Mk III (BV 2400)

Discussion: I'm not sold on the Rawhide or Mad Cat here. If I was trying to cheese this list any more than I already have, I'd hand wave a Ryoken as salvage in place of the Rawhide. The Mad Cat... it's good at fire support and fast enough to probably survive for a while, but it's the most expensive mech in this lance and I'm not sure that's worth it. Again, if handwaving, I might grab one of the new TBT-7H Trebuchets. Lose some of the ranged power, but the MVSPLs dominate back stabbers trying to duck in and the BV is much much nicer.

Recon/Strike Lance:
PXH-9 Phoenix Hawk (BV 1244)
WLF-6S Wolfhound (BV 1266)
WSP-5A Wasp (BV 517)
Locust IIC (BV 1100)

Discussion: This requires the most handwaving, but what you get is a fast lance that will stay hard to hit, can skirmish for days, and comes in (relatively) affordably in BV. To keep the speed up, you could improve this by justifying a fast clan medium (Fenris, Dragonfly, Black Lanner) as salvage. Maybe an Ion Sparrow if you can convince yourself that a brand new JF light would be salvageable.

So there it is. I'm bad enough at the theorycrafting that I'm sure there are better ways to do this force. But I'm hoping to start a discussion both from a "fun to play" standpoint as well as competitiveness in a BV balanced match. I know those can be separate discussions, so please have at it.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: ~3150 Lyran Company Thought Experiment
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2022, 13:55:07 »
The Rawhide is the only mech I saw here and though "I would use something different".  The Mad Cat III is a good mech that if it were in the purview of my little series would likely be getting a high B or low A for raw capability at its size without breaking the bank. It is essentially the mech ruins the concept of the Stormwolf for me, because this is the competition, and it's indescribably better.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ManicMaestro

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2022, 14:28:05 »
Hi Scotty! I agree the Rawhide is sub-optimal. I was thinking of getting around that by using a pilot 1 level lower than the rest of the force. The main weapons have the AES and the MML can be used to drop mines or smoke or something. I really would like to find another mech for that slot, but it's right in the middle of the Tamar Rising RAT for LyrCom and seems to be a showcase mech for them in this time frame. I'd happily replace that with another utility player that can double at discouraging backstabbers... maybe one of the LB10 Shadow Hawks?

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2022, 19:49:26 »
The Rawhide is the only mech I saw here and though "I would use something different".  The Mad Cat III is a good mech that if it were in the purview of my little series would likely be getting a high B or low A for raw capability at its size without breaking the bank. It is essentially the mech ruins the concept of the Stormwolf for me, because this is the competition, and it's indescribably better.

the Mad Cat III us a solid mech, I just wish it was a liiiitle more heat efficant

ManicMaestro

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2022, 20:05:06 »
the Mad Cat III us a solid mech, I just wish it was a liiiitle more heat efficant

It's actually about the same firing pattern as the Timber Wolf Pr. Both LRMs and two of the arm lasers at a run is +4 on the heat. Then you can sub out a LRM or laser in the next pattern depending on the numbers as you skirmish. I'm not a fan of the range on the micro lasers (or lack thereof), but if you somehow find yourself at range 1, you can sub out one medium laser or LRM and basically have an SRM6 for crit seeking. It's also a little reminiscent of the Mad Dog T firing patterns, there's a lot of versatility there.

Even when you run out of LRM ammo, 4 mediums means you only build movement heat and that gives you a 4-4-3-4-4-3 pattern all day long while skirmishing.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2022, 12:40:04 »
Hi Scotty! I agree the Rawhide is sub-optimal. I was thinking of getting around that by using a pilot 1 level lower than the rest of the force. The main weapons have the AES and the MML can be used to drop mines or smoke or something. I really would like to find another mech for that slot, but it's right in the middle of the Tamar Rising RAT for LyrCom and seems to be a showcase mech for them in this time frame. I'd happily replace that with another utility player that can double at discouraging backstabbers... maybe one of the LB10 Shadow Hawks?

The old Lyran Griffin 6S (or 6S2) has a Light Fusion Engine and has held up well over time.  Not sure it passes Scotty's high standards, but it would fit thematically and contribute in a lance. 

Deathknight69

• Lieutenant
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2022, 18:21:48 »
Umm, What page has these A-tier and S-tier lists on it - specifically
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

ManicMaestro

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2022, 19:26:21 »
Umm, What page has these A-tier and S-tier lists on it - specifically

Scotty has been posting reviews for each of the IlClan recognition guide record sheets. He put together a summary post with links to each of the individual posts here https://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/recognition-guide-ilclan-disussion-part-5-comes-with-everything-you-see-here/msg1788951/#msg1788951

His criteria are weighted towards bang for BV rather than pure performance on the chassis, but I've really enjoyed the point of view.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2022, 16:30:59 »
They're also not intended to be authoritative in any way.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.