Register Register

Author Topic: Pato - amphibious plane for the frontier  (Read 350 times)

Gorgon

• Master Sergeant
Pato - amphibious plane for the frontier
« on: 11 September 2022, 16:25:37 »
Piaggio AeroMechanico PAM-14 'Pato'

The Piaggio Pato is one of the myriad of bush planes that exist across the human sphere. It exists on the fringes, where local infrastructure becomes spotty and settlements are not reliably linked by DropShip, train or even road. Following the truism that human settlements develop (mostly) along waterways, lakes and coasts, the Pato is an amphibious plane that can land and take off even in the absence of dedicated runways or reinforced roads.

First designed during the early days of the Star League, the Pato has been around for centuries. In this time, it has been copied or license built dozens of times. It and its derivatives can be found on countless worlds, often modified to serve their owner's needs.

It's rugged design is built around a small fusion reactor, that is (generally) too low in power output to be of interest to the militaries of the Innere Sphere and Periphery. Thus, most Patos avoided cannibalization even during the darkest days of the Succession Wars. The fusion plant gives the plane a flight range that is only limited by crew endurance. However, the necessity to rely on two propellers and the incorporation of floaters severely limits the maximum speed the Pato can achieve. Furthermore, it's small size limits payloads to just below 2000 kg, usually split between eight passengers and about one tonne of cargo.

Code: [Select]
Piaggio AeroMechanico PAM-14 'Pato'

Mass: 2.7 tons
Frame: Piaggio Bushline
Power Plant:  Fusion
Armor: BAR 2
Armament:
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 2642
Tech Rating/Availability: D/X-X-X-X
Cost: 21,485.35 C-bills

Battle Value: 11

Equipment                                          Mass
Engine  (Tech Level D)                       Fusion                 270kg
    Safe Thrust: 4
    Max Thrust: 6

Chassis (Tech Level D):
Structural Integrity:         4   
Cockpit                                             0.5
Modifications: Amphibious, STOL, Ultra-Light, Propeller-Driven                   

Armor Factor (BAR 2)          5                    0.08

Armor   
                           Value   
     Nose                    2     
     Wings                  1/1   
     Aft                     1     

Cargo, Crew and Passengers

1 Pilot1 Co-Pilot (75 kg)
8 Passengers (600 kg)
1334 kg general cargo

EDIT: I redid it with the proper tech level for engine and chassis (TL D) and calculated the proper C-Bill cost. Thanks for the help, guys!
« Last Edit: 12 September 2022, 05:50:19 by Gorgon »
Jude Melancon lives!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Pato - amphibious plane for the frontier
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2022, 16:37:04 »
While I applaud the effort (while standing, no less), I can't help but think the cost is more than a little low...  ^-^

Gorgon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2022, 16:50:36 »
Yeah, the price is ridiculous. You'll have to take your complaint to MegaMekLab, though, it does all the math.  ;D

But I think your right, going by the cost calculation in TechManual, it should cost ~20,000 C-Bills. Still a steal...
Jude Melancon lives!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2022, 17:04:11 »
20K is more like it, but I have to admit to being too lazy to do the math myself.  Regardless, you're right: it's a total steal!  :thumbsup:

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2022, 17:16:28 »
I can't quite replicate it and the MML text readout is no help. What's the tech level of the various parts?

While I applaud the effort (while standing, no less), I can't help but think the cost is more than a little low...  ^-^

Probably because MML's text output isn't very clear so I can't exactly get it right, but when I put what I see into MML it comes out even cheaper while also having a little bit more cargo space. :P Small support vehicles are just dirt cheap.

Pato SV

Mass: 2.7 tons
Frame: Unknown
Power Plant:  Fusion
Armor: BAR 2
Armament:
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3145
Tech Rating/Availability: D/X-X-X-X
Cost: 7,285 C-bills

Type: Pato SV
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Tonnage: 2.7
Battle Value: 3

Equipment                                          Mass
Engine                         Fusion               0.5
   Safe Thrust: 4
   Max Thrust: 6
Structural Integrity:         0                       
Heat Sinks:                   0                       0
Fuel:                         0                     0.0
Cockpit                                             0.5
Armor Factor (BAR 2)          5                       0

Armor   
                           Value   
     Nose                    2     
     Wings                  1/1   
     Aft                     1     

With one pilot, eight passengers, all the chassis mods, and a total of 1,283 kilos of cargo.

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2022, 17:19:51 »
Yeah, the price is ridiculous. You'll have to take your complaint to MegaMekLab, though, it does all the math.  ;D

But I think your right, going by the cost calculation in TechManual, it should cost ~20,000 C-Bills. Still a steal...

MML does still have problems handling support vehicles.

Speaking of which... I think I just figured out how you got your stats, and there's another known bug* that technically torpedoes them.

A tech C fusion engine is supposed to have a minimum mass of 5 tons, but MML doesn't take that into account. Your plane would have to have a minimum of a tech D engine.

*At least it better be a known bug, I reported it several versions ago.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2022, 17:25:13 »
That's one factor, certainly...  8)

Gorgon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2022, 02:05:43 »
Thank you both for checking my stats! I built it with tech level C in mind, but it has to be D. It's not only the engine, that would weight too much, the Ultra Light chassis is tech level D as well.

I think I'll go over it again later to see how that affects things.

Oh and I gave it 9 seats, but fluffed one of them to be a co-pilots seat. You can still fly it just fine with one person, but redundancy is hardly a bad thing when it comes to these things.
Jude Melancon lives!

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2022, 10:52:15 »
Thank you both for checking my stats! I built it with tech level C in mind, but it has to be D. It's not only the engine, that would weight too much, the Ultra Light chassis is tech level D as well.

I think I'll go over it again later to see how that affects things.

Oh and I gave it 9 seats, but fluffed one of them to be a co-pilots seat. You can still fly it just fine with one person, but redundancy is hardly a bad thing when it comes to these things.

Very true.  The copilot can look out for cats.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2022, 11:51:52 »
MML does still have problems handling support vehicles.

Speaking of which... I think I just figured out how you got your stats, and there's another known bug* that technically torpedoes them.

A tech C fusion engine is supposed to have a minimum mass of 5 tons, but MML doesn't take that into account. Your plane would have to have a minimum of a tech D engine.

*At least it better be a known bug, I reported it several versions ago.

Just double checked and we closed this by mistake. We know have a fix pending for our next release (49.11)

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

Gorgon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2022, 14:35:42 »
Very true.  The copilot can look out for cats.
Oh wow, that's a more intense cat video than I'm used.

Just double checked and we closed this by mistake. We know have a fix pending for our next release (49.11)

Looking forward to it. Thank you and the team for all the hard work you've done over the years!
Jude Melancon lives!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2022, 17:49:07 »
Hilarious!   ;D

Not sure my wife would agree, though...