Register Register

Author Topic: Shrapnel 10 - Thoughts?  (Read 5502 times)

Known Glitch

• Sergeant
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
Re: Shrapnel 10 - Thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: 15 November 2022, 20:04:31 »
Per the Edict of Severance, any Clanner in the Inner Sphere who could make either a matrilineal or patrilineal claim to a Bloodhouse was allowed to form a new Bloodhouse of that name in the Inner Sphere in the late 3090s, without regard to the claims of Kerensky Cluster-based Clans.

That explains it.  Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #61 on: 15 November 2022, 20:28:39 »
Battle of the Belt: I took a gander at this because, again, Hell's Horses... but I gotta say, this is one of the most unique and interesting scenarios I've ever seen, and I can't *wait* to give this one a whirl!

It's designed to give players lots of choices that have potential rewards measured against high risk in a very unforgiving environment.  (Less so than in the first draft, where failing a maneuver roll meant drifting off into the void or pancaking into an asteroid at terminal velocity - the playtest was brutal during the transits.)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 16 November 2022, 16:44:07 »
Okay, now that I finally got my hands on this issue, I'm gonna react to the content that especially interested me.

"A Trial Most Acceptable": This was hands-down not only my favorite story in the issue by a long shot, but it might be my favorite story I've read in BattleTech in years. I'm a sucker for the Hell's Horses, so I was immediately drawn in. I LOVED the dive into ProtoMechWarriors and how they work in practice, something we haven't seen since Randall's "Tears of Blood". As an LGBT player, I appreciated the brief touch on the Clan view of sexuality, and how casual they were not only about sexual relations in general but with *same-sex* relations, something we've all long theorized about but never had many concrete examples of. I really, really enjoyed this story a LOT.

Thank you!  I really felt - and wanted to show - that Clans, since reproduction is separate from sex, don't care who bangs who.  More than that, I also wanted to show respecting of boundaries: "oh, you don't want to have sex with me? Cool, cool, let me introduce you to my friend, you might like them instead."
Thank you as well for the kind words about the ProtoMechs: I really wanted to make them unique, and intresting to both readers and future writers.

and, finally, like your review said, there is a TON of great stuff in that issue: cover to cover, It's one of my faves (if not my TOP FAVE) of all the issues published so far!

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://hpgstation.de/?p=9429
    • My Author Website
« Reply #63 on: 17 November 2022, 15:49:57 »
Remember to leave reviews on Amazon, not just here. Reviews are so much better than simple ratings :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

ShroudedSciuridae

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 18 November 2022, 19:57:20 »
Wait a second, does the patrilineal heritage change of the Edict of Severance also moot any potential issues with Alaric's Bloodname? Assuming there's actually Vlad Ward DNA in there to some extent.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #65 on: 18 November 2022, 20:42:07 »
It only applied to Bloodhouses from the non-Invading Clans, allowing them to be reborn as “new” bloodhouses in the Inner Sphere.  So Ward wasn’t affected.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #66 on: 18 November 2022, 23:45:13 »
Kudos to both of you on your respective stories.  I like the deeper explorations into EI - the benefits and pitfalls.  (Thank you to TPTB for publishing the Black Marauder story collection, btw.)  Looking forward to that final story in the series.  One question though - Lydia Spaatz (nice nod to the WWII USAAF General), the Bloodname list on Sarna says that this one is exclusive to the Cloud Cobras post Reaving?  Am I reading this wrong or are we looking at a line that made it out beforehand?   

Lydia Sapptz's Bloodname name has nothing at all to do with me needing an aerospace phenotype Bloodname for her, and flipping open FM Warden Clans to check the Snow Ravens' list, but I always habitually confuse the Snow Ravens and Cloud Cobras. Absolutely nothing at all to do with that.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://hpgstation.de/?p=9429
    • My Author Website
« Reply #67 on: 19 November 2022, 04:07:25 »
Wait a second, does the patrilineal heritage change of the Edict of Severance also moot any potential issues with Alaric's Bloodname? Assuming there's actually Vlad Ward DNA in there to some extent.

We know there is Ward DNA in him, because him having the DNA triggered a message when he arrived on Terra for the first time.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Known Glitch

• Sergeant
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #68 on: 19 November 2022, 12:08:57 »
Lydia Spaatz's Bloodname name has nothing at all to do with me needing an aerospace phenotype Bloodname for her, and flipping open FM Warden Clans to check the Snow Ravens' list, but I always habitually confuse the Snow Ravens and Cloud Cobras. Absolutely nothing at all to do with that.

:thumbsup: Well played. 

Register