Register Register

Author Topic: Adobe DC alternatives  (Read 717 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Always the least qualified person in the room
    • Master Unit List
Adobe DC alternatives
« on: 30 December 2021, 16:51:10 »
The thought of paying adobe $200 a year until I die for the full-feature PDF editor makes me Very Sad. I'm not allergic to paying for software, but I'd prefer to not essentially rent it. Does anyone use anything that's as good or better feature-wise?

(note this isn't a thread for bashing adobe. they're already losing my business anyway)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Part of the fanbase: I have very fringe interests
Same part of the fanbase: Why are my interests not specifically catered to and legitimized by canon?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
Re: Adobe DC alternatives
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2021, 17:14:15 »
Please move I got lost

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Same part of the fanbase: Why are my interests not specifically catered to and legitimized by canon?

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2021, 17:23:46 »
I hate the shift to rental, and look forward to the conclusion of the lawsuit about 'buying' either a movie or music, I forget which.

My only suggestion would be to buy the version before they made that switch.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Maingunnery

• Major
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2021, 17:45:30 »
I am in the same boat, I really need one for making experimental record sheets.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society
Nebula Confederation Ships

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2021, 20:32:03 »
Have you thought about something like Xodo, or using Gimp to make PDFs?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2021, 20:46:56 »
Out of curiosity, what does a PDF creator do that saving/printing a document as PDF does not? I don't do anything professional with PDF's but have been creating them for years that way.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2021, 21:11:29 »
Out of curiosity, what does a PDF creator do that saving/printing a document as PDF does not? I don't do anything professional with PDF's but have been creating them for years that way.

There's a number of additional features, such as re-ordering sheets and removing/adding sheets.  Sounds minor, but those have been highly useful when dealing with engineering documents that may be printed from different sources or at different times.

Sartris, have a look at Bluebeam.  Not sure if it's also rental-model, and it might be too heavily skewed toward engineering support, but it's the only other product I can think of.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2021, 21:39:37 »
The thought of paying adobe $200 a year until I die for the full-feature PDF editor makes me Very Sad. I'm not allergic to paying for software, but I'd prefer to not essentially rent it. Does anyone use anything that's as good or better feature-wise?

(note this isn't a thread for bashing adobe. they're already losing my business anyway)
The Foxit editor still has an option to buy it and it's pretty decent.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2022, 13:36:55 »
The Foxit editor still has an option to buy it and it's pretty decent.

I bought a license from them and have no regrets. It's been my go-to PDF software for appropriate editing ever since Adobe started gimping my copy of Acrobat from CS-6 (or support just plain ended, I forget which).

I also replaced my CS6 copies of Photoshop and Illustrator with Affinity which has a surprisingly robust set of non-destructive editing tools that Gimp has been promising for years. There's a few functions that are missing and I can't speak to particular plug-ins but it's nice to have well-supported design software again.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2022, 13:38:42 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2022, 15:32:09 »
Adobe started taking a rather long time to even open my PDFs, enough that I got frustrated.

I moved to foxit and have not had any issues with it.  Keep in mind I only read not create pdfs.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2022, 16:15:12 »
ended up going with foxit because their annual subscription educator discount takes me six years to equal the annual adobe fee.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2022, 21:03:02 »
i recall foxit has basic editor in it...i think...been awhile since i had to use it
find it on ninite.com
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2022, 22:16:12 »
i recall foxit has basic editor in it...i think...been awhile since i had to use it
find it on ninite.com

They've removed most all editing functions out of the reader; you need a license to go further, which I'm happy to do. I think I sprang for a one-seat permanent license.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Triptych

• Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2022, 01:46:07 »
I also use Foxit for my PDFs. Open Office (and I assume Libre has got it too) can also edit PDFs and convert them, I believe.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 12 January 2022, 01:29:59 »
came across something called Infix PDF Editor Pro
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Register