Register Register

Author Topic: Andor discussion thread  (Read 3893 times)

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Andor discussion thread
« on: 21 September 2022, 11:00:00 »
Much like the movie it's spun off from, I'd describe this show as Star Wars for grownups. Yes it started a little slow, but when you have twelve episodes this season you can afford to take your time and set up what is to follow properly.
I have spoken.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
  • and let slip the dogs of war
Re: Andor discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2022, 12:37:00 »
Very much looking forward to watching this one. Rogue One is excellent. As is Catalyst. 
"We ask not your counsels or arms..."

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2022, 13:50:34 »
Watched the first 3 episodes - very good, will be looking forward to this on wednesdays!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2022, 15:01:11 »
I’m glad they finally did up the number of episodes per season.

6 in almost every case made the last two episodes feel rather rushed to come to a conclusion in both the Star Wars and Marvel series
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2022, 20:23:41 »
When this was first announced, I didn't really care.  I enjoyed Rogue One and while I found Andor's character rather a harsh taste at first, he grew on me as we got to see how emotionally hard he had become and how devoted he was to the cause.  That being said, I didn't necessarily feel that further exploration of his character was needed.  Suffice to say, this was not a show I was looking forward to.  My distaste for most of the Star Wars content Disney released in the interim was a coffin nail for it as far as I was concerned.

Fast forward to the first trailer drop, and I reversed course a little.  I became cautiously optimistic about the show.

Having binged the first three episodes, I am thoroughly enjoying an appetizer of crow.  This is exactly what I want in a Star Wars show that's not Skywalker Saga material: it's gritty, grounded, and pulls no punches.  And so far at least it's showing us exactly how an insurgency operates -- mass civil disobedience, for example.  And just as importantly, it does net yet have anything incongruous to the setting like...say...the mod gang from BoBF.

I am quite excited to see more of this, which is a welcome feeling for a Star Wars property.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
  • and let slip the dogs of war
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2022, 13:43:22 »
Couldn't have said it better myself, Eagle...^
"We ask not your counsels or arms..."

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2022, 17:45:51 »
This is exactly what I want in a Star Wars show that's not Skywalker Saga material: it's gritty, grounded, and pulls no punches.  And so far at least it's showing us exactly how an insurgency operates -- mass civil disobedience, for example.

Amen.  Apologies to Joseph Campbell, but I never understood how a series called “Star Wars” was about a few pouty teenagers with heritable magical powers instead of, well, armies and, you know, actual war.  The spec ops focus of Rogue One finally got it right, and the guerrilla focus of Andor does, too.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2022, 18:30:51 »
Keeping an eye on this one too.  I agree it started off a bit rough, but its settling in nicely.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2022, 22:42:03 »
Keeping an eye on this one too.  I agree it started off a bit rough, but its settling in nicely.
+1000.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2022, 18:42:01 »
Amen.  Apologies to Joseph Campbell, but I never understood how a series called “Star Wars” was about a few pouty teenagers with heritable magical powers instead of, well, armies and, you know, actual war.  The spec ops focus of Rogue One finally got it right, and the guerrilla focus of Andor does, too.

I'm right there with you on the last half.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2022, 16:51:46 »
Im loving it. Slow start but its expected I guess and I dont mind.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2022, 17:21:53 »
Now that i think about it...

Is the near surface paranoia because of the empire's existence? Because that's the one visible missing; the uber presence of white Storm Trooper armor. Is Andor supposed to be a periphery (or Rim Worlds) system, far enough away that the Empire subcontracts its presence (which explains the *H Lt's zeal to disregard his bosses warning about investigating the initial crime = actually getting Imperial Presence on planet: He wants to do as much effort as possible to get off this dead-end system and actually be the next Captain Neeter)

even the big vessel, the rent-a-cops use, although it looks Imperial, they still use the Aerospace version of the Clone Squad Transports.

I'm convinced this system is the ass-end of Imperial control, placed in a location (maybe layers in between) that Empire Controls enough that its doesn't need AD clones on staff. But once A* LT finds that box-mcguffin, thats why that vampy chick seen in promos shows up with actually fire power...

anyway... I do have one question left:

in the timeline between SW-Eps III and Rogue One, where does Andor sit, time wise (and how close is OBK's series is, in reference)?

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2022, 17:36:53 »
OBK is ten years after Episode III while Rogue One is immediately prior to Episode IV.  Andor should be (and this is spitballing) maybe some around halfway between OBK and Rogue One?

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2022, 18:53:35 »
It's currently five years before Rogue One.
I have spoken.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2022, 18:57:32 »
there is about 19 years between the end of RotS and R1/ANH.
the canon shows and films so far for this period are (according to wookiepedia):

Revenge of the Sith/Rise of the Empire - 19 BBY
The Bad Batch (Series) - 19-18 BBY (thus far)
Solo (Film, Prologue) - 13 BBY
Solo (film, main storyline) - 10 BBY
Obiwan (Series) - 9BBY
SW:Rebels - 5BBY to 0BBY*
Andor(series) - 5 BBY to 0BBY* (according to showmakers)
Rogue one/A New Hope - 0BBY*

so basically Andor is going to be paralleling SW:Rebels timeline wise. presumably just in a different part of the galaxy.. Rebels made it clear early on that Lothal and the region around it was of special interest to the Imperials, which would help explain why we see so many Storm Troopers there, instead of the other Imperial armed forces. (solo establishes a 'Standard' Army separate from the Storm Troopers for example, presumably there are also various paramilitary security forces under the imperial banner. probably including a fair number of regional forces that had been formed during the republic era that the republic military subsumed into itself for the clone wars, and the Empire took command of after.)

and my understanding is that Andor starts in a region similar to the Corporate sector in Legends (which has been semi-canonized), a semi-independant entity within the empire with its own local forces. so he's dealing with the local rent-a-cops and bulk cruisers. honestly i think this is a good way to start.. it lets you world build, while also leaving a lot of room for conflict escalation later on, and will make the appearance of the familiar storm troopers and imperial warships that much more impactful when they appear.

* 1 BBY and 0 BBY being the same year, 0BBY used to refer to events that include or coincide with the battle of Yavin itself, like the battle of Scarif only a few days before, or the battle of Lothal occuring at the same time.)

personally i'm hoping we get some shows set between  ANH/0BBY and RotJ/4ABY, detailing some of what the ?*other* rebel groups that didn't include the Skywalker/Solo/Organa trio were doing. which is something i think that both the current canon and the old Legends material didn't handle very well. too much focus on the skywalker clan during the time of the original trilogy, not enough one the wider rebellion
« Last Edit: 24 September 2022, 19:47:00 by glitterboy2098 »

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2022, 13:43:00 »

personally i'm hoping we get some shows set between  ANH/0BBY and RotJ/4ABY, detailing some of what the ?*other* rebel groups that didn't include the Skywalker/Solo/Organa trio were doing. which is something i think that both the current canon and the old Legends material didn't handle very well. too much focus on the skywalker clan during the time of the original trilogy, not enough one the wider rebellion

Upon reading this, it occurred to me that this might be why I developed such a strong attachment to the Rogue Squadron novels.  Luke appears briefly at one point, but aside from that it's all action away from the Main Saga Characters.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 25 September 2022, 14:37:27 »
Upon reading this, it occurred to me that this might be why I developed such a strong attachment to the Rogue Squadron novels.  Luke appears briefly at one point, but aside from that it's all action away from the Main Saga Characters.
and even han solo gets short shift.. in the earlier ones you get stuff like him landing at a base, ignoring the main characters, and going to talk to Wedge. which the character crack jokes about (in the process hanging a lampshade on the fact), and that was about the only appearance. and even when the novels switched to the Wraiths, and he's showing up more often, he still rarely appeared. and Leia only ever got a name drop.

that sort of thing is also why i liked SW Rebels so much.they were their own thing. you had appearances of some of the main trilogy protags (R2 and 2P0, leia, lando) as guest appearances and some supporting cast  from the clone wars show (rex, ahsoka, Hondo) but they were supporting cast at most, guest stars more often.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2022, 15:24:20 »

Considering none of them are due to appear (from what I understand), it will do just that. It will focus on Cassian and his path, which includes Saw Gerreras group, Mon Mothma and Stellan Skarsgårds character.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 25 September 2022, 16:51:03 »
that's still all before Yavin though. which is going to be a great era to explore in a more mature audience focused series, but i still would love to see stuff set between yavin and endor as well. an era where you can see fleet actions and other more epic aspects of the conflict, building towards the force we see at Endor.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2022, 16:57:59 by glitterboy2098 »

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2022, 18:40:17 »
I'd like that, but I'd love to see something set between Endor and Jakku.
I have spoken.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 25 September 2022, 19:45:18 »
that's still all before Yavin though. which is going to be a great era to explore in a more mature audience focused series, but i still would love to see stuff set between yavin and endor as well. an era where you can see fleet actions and other more epic aspects of the conflict, building towards the force we see at Endor.

Between Yavin and Endor is largely being covered by the primary comics series at the present time: Star Wars, Darth Vader, Bounty Hunters, Doctor Aphra.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 28 September 2022, 22:43:55 »
Absolutely zero action in this episode, and I was totally OK with it!   :popcorn:
I have spoken.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #22 on: 29 September 2022, 11:18:08 »
Absolutely zero action in this episode, and I was totally OK with it!   :popcorn:

They did a very good job on creating tension in this episode, creating rivalries, & setting up things.

I can tell when an episode was good, & when it isn't, based on how often I look at my cell phone. I didn't pick up my cell once during this episode, so it was definitely a good one...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: 05 October 2022, 12:31:35 »
Another great episode, slowly building towards a preliminary climax. (since the season is 12 episodes, I doubt it'll be the only crescendo)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2022, 08:00:11 »
He didn't finish his blue milk.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: 13 October 2022, 10:14:20 »
Very good episode, things hit the fan opening up for the second arc this season.

tassa_kay

• Lieutenant
  • Blood cries for blood.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #26 on: 13 October 2022, 10:31:11 »

This is an odd take. Star Wars has primarily been space opera, not about the nitty-gritty of war. Rogue One and Andor (not to mention Clone Wars and many of the other animated series) didn't "finally get it right", they're just exploring other genres and takes on a franchise where war has primarily been the backdrop to the actual story.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2022, 10:38:17 by tassa_kay »
My Personal Unit: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah, Clan Hell's Horses Nightmare Galaxy [WIP]

Favorite Factions: Capellan ConfederationClan Blood SpiritClan Smoke JaguarClan Hell's HorsesDraconis CombineRasalhague DominionRim Worlds RepublicMagistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Ki-linn Liao • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • The Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Warrior House White Tiger • The Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 13 October 2022, 12:09:57 »
This just may have been my favorite episode of Star Wars television ever.   :popcorn:
I have spoken.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 13 October 2022, 16:18:48 »

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #29 on: 13 October 2022, 22:37:06 »
This is an odd take. Star Wars has primarily been space opera, not about the nitty-gritty of war.

I’m not denying the nine backbone films are a space opera.  I’m just saying that ever since I was a kid, I expected these movies to be war movies, not coming of age movies about teen superheros and supervillains with mystical powers that just happened to be set against a wartime backdrop.

Rogue One and Andor (not to mention Clone Wars and many of the other animated series) didn't "finally get it right", they're just exploring other genres and takes on a franchise where war has primarily been the backdrop to the actual story.

I’m just speaking for myself here, but I think Rogue One did finally get it right.  The film told an adult (albeit spec ops-ish) soldiers’ story with real life-and-death stakes.  Same goes for Andor, so far.  For me, there is maturity and realism in the storytelling of Rogue One/Andor that even as a kid I felt was lacking in the nine backbone films.  (It’s arguably unfair to compare either to daytime animated series which have to accommodate a younger audience.)

But I agree that Star Wars is a big universe/franchise, there’s lots of ways to enjoy it, and even I have some appreciation for how Lucas translated Campbell’s research, among other things.  I just would have inverted the balance and made Jedi/Sith teens the focus of side stories rather then the main plot arc.  To be honest, part of why BattleTech has kept my interest when Star Wars hasn’t is precisely because it (usually) tells mature war stories while much of the Star Wars canon has a different focus.  If that’s a “strange take”, so be it.

Funny.  Relatedly, I’ll note the Spaceballs was fairly accurate to its title.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Register