Register Register

Author Topic: Anime/Grand M@sterthread - 86 gacha rolls & still no FMP Finale  (Read 18764 times)

Maingunnery

• Major
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Anime/Grand M@sterthread - 86 gacha rolls & still no FMP Finale
« Reply #390 on: 10 November 2021, 13:58:56 »
They are just a retelling in a different format.
Not always, a lot of times older properties are used as skinsuits.

And what I have seen so far of this case isn't very impressive, so I can understand why a lot of people are severely skeptical.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #391 on: 10 November 2021, 14:32:03 »
for some reason when you mentioned dubs i had this unbridled hatred for one studio in particular...us renditions
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

TheoLehman

• Sergeant
« Reply #392 on: 10 November 2021, 15:50:47 »
Not always, a lot of times older properties are used as skinsuits.

And what I have seen so far of this case isn't very impressive, so I can understand why a lot of people are severely skeptical.
A lot of negative reactions to remakes is backlash against the general "it's safer to sell you the thing we know you like rather than try anything new" attitude endemic to the entertainment industry.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #393 on: 10 November 2021, 16:24:43 »
A lot of negative reactions to remakes is backlash against the general "it's safer to sell you the thing we know you like rather than try anything new" attitude endemic to the entertainment industry.

And the fact that many things that work in animated or print media don't work nearly as well in live-action.  Particularly if there's a limited SFX budget (which is too often the case).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #394 on: 10 November 2021, 18:19:36 »
Sometimes I can see the point of a remake.  Like Cowboy Bebop.  You're going to hit a whole new audience that either isn't into anime, or just feel the original looks too dated.  Also, With a decent budget, live action Sci-fi can look pretty sweet.  I keep saying I'm going to watch the anime some day, but I don't think it'll ever really happen.  This on the other hand, I'm planning to watch.  I take the creator being involved as a good sign. Heck, Battle Angel was, imo, better than than the anime.  Low bar, but it still counts.

One Piece however, makes no sense to me.  Everything in that show is so over the top that nothing they do is going to look better in live action, no matter how good the budget is.  The more CG they use to make it work, the more you have to wonder what the point is.  And there's no way any of the actors are going to look anything like most of the characters without significant makeup, prosthetics, or CGI with motion capture.  So again, why bother?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #395 on: 14 November 2021, 11:19:26 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTS1vdThyjc

Macross Plus on the big screen in the US in subtitled form on Dec 14.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #396 on: 20 November 2021, 01:25:04 »
Finally got into 86 and am currently caught up; also looking forward to tomorrow's episode. I like the Mech designs and the character depth is quite good. Thinking of starting the Light Novel since I've heard good things about it.

Also watching "World's greatest Assassin reincarnated as an Aristocrat" ; good so far though and I am very surprised that the author also did "Redo of the Healer" since this seems to be far less "Dark" so to speak.
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #397 on: 22 November 2021, 18:07:24 »
I’ve started watching the Adult Swim release of “Fena: Pirate Princess”, and Blade Runner Black Lotus.

Ruger
« Last Edit: 22 November 2021, 18:09:31 by Ruger »
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #398 on: 01 December 2021, 12:55:55 »
Finished watching Heike Monogatari. I first learned the tale of the Heike from Carl Sagan in one of his episodes of Cosmos. I enjoyed this tale as told from the young bard Biwa.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #399 on: 02 December 2021, 22:28:35 »
I feel like Heavy Object parallels Ogre/G.E.V. more than real robots, but I do love that show. Kaza Kamachi's work is far too underrated!

I watched it subbed, but it would be nice to see it dubbed just to take in the visuals.  And, I'm with you on Ogre.

edit: correction, emphasized above.  I don't know why the two get switched in my head.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2021, 22:36:58 by Daemion »
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #400 on: 02 December 2021, 22:33:08 »
Btw:  I'm ten eps in to Heavy Metal L Gaim.  I gotta admit it's finally picked up speed, with the contrived plot device/mcguffin finally resolved.  It's kinda goofy for its age, and made me take it slowly.  Maybe now that it's got its stride, I might be able to watch it in bigger chunks.

But, that'll have to be next week.  Fan fic gots my attention at the moment and I want to finish come this weekend.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #401 on: 02 December 2021, 22:35:41 »
Finally got into 86 and am currently caught up;

Where's this streaming?  I know what the trash taste bois think of it, but It's got war robots, so I'm curious.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #402 on: 02 December 2021, 22:37:08 »
86 is on Crunchyroll.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #403 on: 03 December 2021, 08:08:55 »
Where's this streaming?  I know what the trash taste bois think of it, but It's got war robots, so I'm curious.

To be accurate machines in 86 are more of spider tanks than mechs. It's why we might never see 86 as part of SRW.
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

TheoLehman

• Sergeant
« Reply #404 on: 03 December 2021, 09:49:13 »
I kind of give 86 the side-eye on its premise.  Telling everyone the mecha are drones when they have pilots and then treating the pilots as subhuman just feels like something the writers came up with to be as dystopian as possible.  Like, for what reason would the military do that instead of having actual drones or just being open about the fact that their mecha have pilots?
Maybe it makes sense in the setting, but then again they made the setting that way.
Anyway, I'm going to catch up with Sakugan, I only watched the first episode.  I might also eyeball this new FLCL now that VRV reminded me it exists.  Although I wonder if I should watch the original FLCL first to refresh my memory.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #405 on: 03 December 2021, 10:05:58 »
I kind of give 86 the side-eye on its premise.  Telling everyone the mecha are drones when they have pilots and then treating the pilots as subhuman just feels like something the writers came up with to be as dystopian as possible.  Like, for what reason would the military do that instead of having actual drones or just being open about the fact that their mecha have pilots?
Maybe it makes sense in the setting, but then again they made the setting that way.

A dictatorship that regarded the low class as being subhuman vermin.  One where the leadership is willing to destroy the country in order to maintain the appearance of control.

So basically a rare example of fascism being portrayed correctly in fiction.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reborn again and again in defense of The State
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #406 on: 03 December 2021, 11:24:32 »
To be accurate machines in 86 are more of spider tanks than mechs. It's why we might never see 86 as part of SRW.

Bebop ended up in SRW - I doubt the Juggernauts will be disqualified.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #407 on: 03 December 2021, 11:31:18 »

My understanding was that the Republic did not want to admit their AI technology was inferior to the Empire's. Yes, it is deliberately dystopian as ******, but nations have both used cultural undesirables as shock troops and lied about their technological inferiority before. All 86 does is put the two together. There's a greater point being made about people's willingness to other their fellow man here, which is more or less the actual thrust of the story. The Legion is only so much explosive window dressing.

TheoLehman

• Sergeant
« Reply #408 on: 03 December 2021, 12:46:14 »
To me the obvious solution would be "mecha piloted by people are better than drones, which is why we don't have any," plus "we put the undesirables in the mecha because it's their best chance to make themselves useful instead of just wasting the air that could be breathed by the people we like."
This way they're not setting themselves up for a terrible PR disaster that the propaganda ministry is going to spend months fixing.  The first line sells because it's easy to brew resentment and mistrust of automated or remote-controlled killing machines, and the second line sells because if you already have an undesirable caste you've conditioned the rest of your population to hate, it makes said population feel good that said undesirables are making themselves useful.  While dying.
Oh, and you can discredit any evidence that the drones are in fact better than piloted machines by saying it's propaganda created by subversive elements to deceive everyone, and that Real Citizens know better than to believe a word of it.
Boom, problem solved.  I'm a better sci-fi dystopian tyrant than the ones in 86.
On an unrelated note, I just remembered that Ex-Arm exists so there's my weekend.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2021, 12:48:07 by TheoLehman »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #409 on: 03 December 2021, 13:00:45 »
I mean, that's more or less what they are already doing. You have several people, from scientists to instructors tell Lena "86 aren't people." The crime being committed is an open secret -  anyone interested in taking more than a cursory glance at things understands the 86 are being used as organic components of the war machines. The public at large just doesn't care to examine it all that closely because it's easier to pretend than feel complicit. Throughout the series the only person in San Magnolia who seems genuinely shocked and horrified about the truth is Lena herself.

Maingunnery

• Major
« Reply #410 on: 03 December 2021, 13:50:31 »
To me the obvious solution would be "mecha piloted by people are better than drones, which is why we don't have any," plus "we put the undesirables in the mecha because it's their best chance to make themselves useful instead of just wasting the air that could be breathed by the people we like."
This way they're not setting themselves up for a terrible PR disaster that the propaganda ministry is going to spend months fixing.  The first line sells because it's easy to brew resentment and mistrust of automated or remote-controlled killing machines, and the second line sells because if you already have an undesirable caste you've conditioned the rest of your population to hate, it makes said population feel good that said undesirables are making themselves useful.  While dying.
Oh, and you can discredit any evidence that the drones are in fact better than piloted machines by saying it's propaganda created by subversive elements to deceive everyone, and that Real Citizens know better than to believe a word of it.
Boom, problem solved.  I'm a better sci-fi dystopian tyrant than the ones in 86.
On an unrelated note, I just remembered that Ex-Arm exists so there's my weekend.
Everyone above a certain age fully knew that people were being used, the fiction of them being drones is there to make it easier to dehumanize them and to also make it easy to erase them from history after the war is over. During most of the show they cared more about getting 86's killed than actually winning the war.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #411 on: 03 December 2021, 14:52:45 »
Everyone above a certain age fully knew that people were being used, the fiction of them being drones is there to make it easier to dehumanize them and to also make it easy to erase them from history after the war is over. During most of the show they cared more about getting 86's killed than actually winning the war.

War that they can't win partially because they keep killing off eighty-sixers but also because Legion has overwhelming numbers on they side. Not to mention that killing off eighty-sixers gives Legion spare parts thanks to whole policy that they bodies aren't allowed to be brought back from battlefield. Then again some higher ups of Republic like Lena's uncle don't even seem to care if Republic survives or not as long as they can kill off eighty-sixers.   
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #412 on: 03 December 2021, 17:52:15 »
There is also a firm belief that the Legion will simply stop functioning in two years, so all San Magnolia has to do is hold out that long.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #413 on: 03 December 2021, 22:21:21 »
Made use of Amazon’s cyber-Monday sale and got a new copy of the Slayers tv series seasons 1-3. Needed to replace at least my old season 1 set as many episodes won’t play anymore.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #414 on: 04 December 2021, 00:11:27 »

The thing is, fascist governments are like that.  Oppressive regimes are inefficient because oppression is inefficient.  The only thing dictatorships ever actually do well is maintain control of the media.  Which is pretty much exactly what we see in 86.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #415 on: 04 December 2021, 14:12:21 »
86 S2 Ep8

Well that stare down between Shin and Kiri was really intense.

Maingunnery

• Major
« Reply #416 on: 04 December 2021, 15:35:50 »
86 S2 Ep8

Well that stare down between Shin and Kiri was really intense.
Indeed, but what also is now clear is that I don't see them winning in without taking out the drone factories and command centers.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #417 on: 05 December 2021, 16:05:38 »
Do we know how many Sheperds there are? Other than "No Face" and Kiri? Also, is there a map of the world of 86 out there since I'm curious about the geography

I'm curious to know why there hasn't been a concentrated effort to take out Legions infrastructure given that the UK and Fed seem to have the tech to stand up to Legion
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #418 on: 06 December 2021, 22:29:39 »
Do we know how many Sheperds there are? Other than "No Face" and Kiri? Also, is there a map of the world of 86 out there since I'm curious about the geography

I'm curious to know why there hasn't been a concentrated effort to take out Legions infrastructure given that the UK and Fed seem to have the tech to stand up to Legion
well, they've made it pretty clear that missiles and airplanes don't work very well due to the always on automated AA. So they'd have to push the front lines back to get to said logistics, and that seems to be much easier said than done.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #419 on: 11 December 2021, 10:33:15 »
https://kotaku.com/keiko-nobumoto-writer-for-cowboy-bebop-and-tokyo-godfa-1848197485

That was a hell of a career.  I haven't seen much of it, but I certainly recognize the names.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Register