Register Register

Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: Sixth time, Thread of the Intruder  (Read 21372 times)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Re: Aviation Pictures: Sixth time, Thread of the Intruder
« Reply #540 on: 12 August 2022, 01:05:48 »
Heritage paint job on a Harvard II and Hornet

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #541 on: 12 August 2022, 02:14:19 »
Chanman, good find on the TF-102 pics. I didn't know they could make a Delta Dagger look more awkward, but they did!

Thing people forget about the F-106, is it's big! Like only 6' shorter than the Mig-25, with identical wing area. It is about half the empty weight, which I choose to write off as the difference between two Tumanskies and one J-75. Form follows function!

And if you're talking Century Series, let's have a little of that black magic - F-101 Voodoo!

Am I the only one getting B1 Lancer riffs off the Voodoo?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #542 on: 12 August 2022, 02:47:50 »
Chanman, good find on the TF-102 pics. I didn't know they could make a Delta Dagger look more awkward, but they did!

Thing people forget about the F-106, is it's big! Like only 6' shorter than the Mig-25, with identical wing area. It is about half the empty weight, which I choose to write off as the difference between two Tumanskies and one J-75. Form follows function!

And if you're talking Century Series, let's have a little of that black magic - F-101 Voodoo!

Am I the only one getting B1 Lancer riffs off the Voodoo?

It's the narrow waisting and the cranked wings, I think. Re the F-106's size, it often doesn't click how big the MiG-25 and -31 are. But most people have a sense of how gigantic a Flanker is, so I describe the Dart as a foot shorter than the Flanker, which is... yeah. F-101 is also interesting because the only users outside the US were Canada and Taiwan, and I suspect for different roles. Also one of the rare aircraft with both single and two-seat versions where the two-seater is more prolific.

Here are my picks from Airliners.net for Voodoos:

Note the B-36, A-26, Sabre, and P-80

A rare plan view of an F-101 and how little wing it actually has

Buzzing the CN Tower in 1982

USAF two-ship showing just how much the tail extends past the end of the jet pipes

Canadian Two-ship

An older Canadian paint scheme on bare metal

The replacement scheme

A rare single-seat model

ROCAF (Taiwanese) photo-recon F-101

USAF F-101B in ferry mode. I assume the tanks have to be dropped before the weapons bay can be used
« Last Edit: 12 August 2022, 02:52:06 by chanman »

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #543 on: 12 August 2022, 13:13:37 »
That F-101 was such a great looking plane. Got one in a museum close to here, it is a big plane that don't look that big.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships just passed the 567
 Battlemechs I now own.

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
« Reply #544 on: 12 August 2022, 19:40:07 »

To date, that aircraft is the only one that I had a part in building at 1/48th (1/72 being the Chosen Scale--after 1/285-300 of course).

It was...big.

And a lovely aircraft. Never did manage to pull off the SEA camo like, say, the -4 and -105 did, though. The CAF schemes are glorious, of course.

And throwback schemes are always nice to see. Not to detract from the lovely Century Coven, but, like this:

EDIT: A different photo of the legacy-scheme Hornet above, in case that doesn't come through for some posters:

Back to the hundreds:

Made it through six airshows before they went back to the Super Sabre.

EDIT: An additional shot of a Thunderbirds F-105 in case the one above is not displaying:

Loaded for bear.

EDIT: Hell, here is a load of Thunderchief photos that would do chanman proud:

http://jets.for.ever.pagesperso-orange.fr/Pages/F-105.htm
« Last Edit: 13 August 2022, 00:58:58 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #545 on: 13 August 2022, 00:08:22 »
I've been off line all week, and am catching up.  The two questions that stuck with my through all those glorious posts were:

Re: Dragonfly: if it's got side-by-side seating, is it really a fighter? ???

Re: Heritage flight: is that a Hornet, or a Super Hornet? ??? (I'm thinking the latter, but want to be sure).

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #546 on: 13 August 2022, 00:16:01 »
failure16, you might want to fix your links. links to seach engine results won't show up, you'll have to open the page the result links to and find the image.

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
« Reply #547 on: 13 August 2022, 00:25:47 »
The pictures work for me on different computers... ???

And they do come from websites, not search engines.  :-\ I'm not searching for things to post--generally--but posting things I find while doing other things. Or in relation to a posting here, natch.

Daryk, quite sure they are legacy F/A-18s; Super Bugs have canted rectangular intakes, amongst other (internal, for our purposes here) differences:

https://fighterjetsworld.com/air/fighter-jets-videos/the-difference-between-f-a-18-hornet-and-f-a-18-super-hornet/13529/

EDIT: Pretty sure this is an F/A-18F:

« Last Edit: 13 August 2022, 00:37:47 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

--E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #548 on: 13 August 2022, 00:34:37 »
I was just judging by size (Rhinos are BIG), but that awesome comparison shot helps a lot, thanks!  :thumbsup:

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #549 on: 13 August 2022, 01:08:56 »
I was just judging by size (Rhinos are BIG), but that awesome comparison shot helps a lot, thanks!  :thumbsup:

The classic Hornets also have a vortex generator (small vertical trapezoid sticking up almost perpendicular) on the LERX (Leading Edge Root Extension - the horizontal part that extends from the inside wing to just forward of the cokpit on the Hornet) and a slimmer/ogival LERX vs. the Super Hornet.

Classic:

Rhino:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #550 on: 13 August 2022, 01:15:32 »
I never tire of that comparison, thanks!  :thumbsup:

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #551 on: 13 August 2022, 02:58:32 »
The US Navy has done heritage paint jobs on both Hornets and Super Hornets.

Also, I wish the Battle of Britain CF-18 had managed to get some shots in with the Battle of Britain Typhoon (both were painted up for the 75th anniversary of the BoB in 2015)

« Last Edit: 13 August 2022, 03:08:38 by chanman »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #552 on: 13 August 2022, 03:02:47 »
Those pics really drive home how small WWII fighters were compared to modern ones!  :o

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #553 on: 13 August 2022, 03:07:52 »
Classic paint schemes on a Super Hornet and Growler. Tip on searching Airliners.net for unique paint jobs: Their photo database tracks airframe registration numbers, so once you find one picture there with a paintjob that you like you can click the REG: #### for that aircraft to bring up other photos of the same plane. Also fun to see the difference in photo quality between different photographers taking pictures at the same event. I pruned some overly similar photos, but my initial set of picks is uploaded at imgur: https://imgur.com/a/RpEgqGa

For example: https://www.airliners.net/search?registrationActual=166899&display=detail is the Growler with the WW2 paint scheme

A Super Hornet

Not a heritage scheme, but too damn cool

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #554 on: 13 August 2022, 03:42:02 »
First of the century fighters - the F-100 Super Sabre, aka 'Hun' (Hundred)

Turkish gunnery target. Really has that 'gritty derelict sci-fi' feel (aka, the entirety of the Terran Trade Federation Spacewreck book)

One of the still-flying 2-seaters, with speed brake deployed in some photos

A Danish number near the end of its service life

USAF one still serving as a fighter at the time of the photo

Another still-flying 2-seater in SEA camo where the F-100 finished off its USAF career as an attack aircraft (arguably the fate of many designs in WW2 once they became obsolete for air combat, like the Hawker Hurricane after 1940/41 or the P-40 after 43...

The ROCAF was an early adopter of the F-100, inducting the F-100A in service (presumably to immediately press them into service during the 2nd Taiwan Strait crisis and coming to blows with their opposite number MiG-17 and MiG-19s

The proposed successor F-107 'Ultra Sabre' not particularly concerned with rear visibility or high angles of attack...

« Last Edit: 14 August 2022, 01:36:37 by chanman »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #555 on: 13 August 2022, 03:49:08 »
Nice Growlers!  :thumbsup:

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
« Reply #556 on: 13 August 2022, 09:43:56 »
How's about a 1942 Prowler?

All jet aircraft are loud, and military ones even more so. But I always thought that the A-6 family was exceedingly piercing. I last saw one circa 2015, which was strange taking off from Sarasota/Bradenton Airport, but there it was.

or a 1938 T-45?

https://www.patriotspoint.org/news-and-events/navys-first-choice-of-aircraft-color-1918/

--E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #557 on: 13 August 2022, 10:30:24 »
Love that Prowler too!  :thumbsup:

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #558 on: 14 August 2022, 02:29:04 »
Shiny! OG Lawn Dart time. Yep, the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, a sales story powered by a B-52's worth of sleaze. 12 Flying examples in civilian ownership in the US.

Civilian demo plane crashed a few years ago. Pilot got out okay

A clean Italian example flying without tip tanks. I'm pretty sure they were the last operator, retiring them in 2004

A couple examples in Belgium including a Tiger Meet paint job

A Canadian plane in Tiger Meet paint

Operational CF-104 in a number of different schemes (bare metal, European theatre tactical camo, overall OD)

A cutaway airframe at a museum

A couple ROCAF F-104s

One of the original USAF prototypes

Greco-Roman!: Italian F-104s in formation with Greek F-4s

A Dutch-made (Fokker!) example in Germany

The Classic Lawn DartTM

'USAF' F-104s - the USAF wasn't a heavy user and a number are actually West German F-104Gs used for training in the US

This one's actually a Puerto Rico Air National Guard example. They hung on to their Starfighters a bit longer than most other US units.

Several of the civilian F-104s are owned by this company:
« Last Edit: 14 August 2022, 12:45:49 by chanman »

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #559 on: 14 August 2022, 03:29:39 »
Interlude from Century fighters

Japanese test F-2

Differences. Note that the wing shape changes the planform from a cropped delta to something much more like an :

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #560 on: 14 August 2022, 10:15:51 »
The F-104 had tiny wings.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
« Reply #561 on: 14 August 2022, 12:39:31 »
Missile With a Man in It, is no joke, eh? Looks a lot like the early X-planes/missile testbeds.

I had the pleasure to meet an F-104 pilot about a year ago. He and his squadron flew the -104s in The Right Stuff and trained the Luftwaffe pilots that later flew it. Chanman has the right of it: there weren't many USAF squadrons/wings equipped with the type. My enduring memory of the -104 is watching one aim itself at the balcony of the apartment in Greece where I lived in the late-80s/early 90s. Hard to see nose-on.

They used to be parked next to A-7s at the airbase, often right along the fence line where we played soccer. Not bad looking in the then-standard SEA camo. The best part of that scenario was kicking a ball over the fence-line and watching guards run up with weapons drawn, normally aimed at the ball of all things, while shouting madly at us. Good times, the 80s.

Here are some in more recent, melancholy times (and a bit away from where I saw them):

https://luftwaffeas.blogspot.com/2011/07/eye-catching-afb-agrinion-araxos-greece.html

--E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #562 on: 14 August 2022, 12:47:41 »
Note: I added a caption for the tactical camo'd US F-104 - that one is a Puerto Rico ANG example. And now...

Thud-time, finally! F-105s. I think the only USAF aircraft withdrawn from a theatre due to fleet losses (I'm betting Failure16's been waiting for this one). Funny note. It took me a long time to figure out where the hell the F-105's air intakes are (wing root)

An F-105 ferried to a museum in 1981. F-15 in the background.

F-105D located at the Fort Worth Aviation Museum

F-105G Wild Weasels

Two-seat F-105F

A cancelled RF-105B

Back in 1965, F-105s still had a bare metal finish

Republic heritage flight

A row of immaculate F-105s used for training USAF Security forces at Lackland AFB/Kelly Field Annex

A derelict ex-target F-105 at Roswell

F-105G on display at Le Bourget

2 F-105Ds on a very late exercise (1983) out of Hill AFB

An older F-105B in more forest-like colours

Bombed up! Looks like pre-Mk80 series low drag bombs

A single-seat F-105's M61 Vulcan installation

Engine glow!
« Last Edit: 14 August 2022, 14:11:26 by chanman »

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
« Reply #563 on: 14 August 2022, 13:14:07 »
What can I say? I love that coke-bottle shape of the -105.

As a side note, I find it interesting that more than a few -104 operator squadrons converted to A-7s (PRANG being one of the notable examples, and the Greek AF being another, though there they were often contemporaries).

Love that line of decommed -105s and their purpose. Interesting find, that. Guess they had an abundance of them kicking around after they were withdrawn.

And yeah, even given the size of the airframe, the intake inlets were damned small. Of course, so were the Mig-21's when you think on it. EDIT: Or the T-38/F-5's, for example.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2022, 16:46:17 by Failure16 »

--E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #564 on: 14 August 2022, 13:51:53 »
Hmmm... about six of those glorious images won't show for me for some reason...  :-\

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #565 on: 14 August 2022, 14:12:09 »
Hmmm... about six of those glorious images won't show for me for some reason...  :-\

Oh, those were just empty/leftover tags I forgot to remove. My bad

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #566 on: 14 August 2022, 15:05:15 »
Whew!  Thanks for the confirmation!  :thumbsup:

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #567 on: 14 August 2022, 16:46:57 »
Different heritage paint job hornet

I think this is one of the Hornets from before, but now in formation with a warbird

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #568 on: 14 August 2022, 17:25:47 »
That second Hornet is flying awfully slow there...

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #569 on: 14 August 2022, 18:27:51 »
F-107 'Ultra Sabre' ????

How would you not eject into the intakes?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"