Register Register

Author Topic: Doctor Who: Where did I leave the Tardis?  (Read 38552 times)

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek Server Guy and Mac Enthusist
Re: Doctor Who: Where did I leave the Tardis?
« Reply #420 on: 14 November 2022, 14:37:49 »
Well technically Tom Baker was first even if it was a cameo.  Just saying.

Technically he played the Doctor and the Caretaker. Not the same. :)

But Who Knows.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #421 on: 14 November 2022, 17:41:50 »
Technically he played the Doctor and the Caretaker. Not the same. :)

But Who Knows.

The implication was that the Curator WAS the Doctor. 

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #422 on: 14 November 2022, 18:40:45 »
He is the first actor to play 2 doctors. 10th AND 14th. Officially.

Actually, it’s technically 3 Doctors. 10, 10.5, and 14. (Or 11, 11.5 and 15, if we call the War Doctor an official Doctor).

Remember that the regeneration into the Matt Smith Doctor was officially his 12th regeneration and required a new regeneration cycle be given to the Doctor to be able to regenerate to the Capaldi Doctor prior to the revelation of the Timeless Child. So, even though he avoided taking a new form by transferring the excess regeneration energy into his severed hand after healing his current body, it still counted as an official regeneration.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #423 on: 14 November 2022, 20:14:27 »
The implication was that the Curator WAS the Doctor.

Took a new name thus no longer the Doctor. Just like the War Doctor doesn't have a number but still has a regeneration.

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #424 on: 14 November 2022, 20:14:58 »
Actually, it’s technically 3 Doctors. 10, 10.5, and 14. (Or 11, 11.5 and 15, if we call the War Doctor an official Doctor).

Fair point.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #425 on: 15 November 2022, 08:51:51 »
I think we can safely assume that 1st Doctor is when he started to call himself The Doctor and all versions before they started to didn't call themselves The Doctor. Sorry if anyone is angered by me taking Chibnail's addition to lore into account instead of ignoring those but I don't share that opinion that those should be ignored or have any dislike towards those.   
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #426 on: 15 November 2022, 10:29:35 »
I think Chibanil's contribution upended everything we think we know and shouldn't be discounted but I don't disagree that, as far as we know the Doctor started with Hartnell. For all we know Jo Martin's Doctor could be either an earlier one OR a much later one that lost their memory from... old age.

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey and all.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #427 on: 15 November 2022, 11:20:30 »
I think we can safely assume that 1st Doctor is when he started to call himself The Doctor and all versions before they started to didn't call themselves The Doctor. Sorry if anyone is angered by me taking Chibnail's addition to lore into account instead of ignoring those but I don't share that opinion that those should be ignored or have any dislike towards those.

It's a fandom, we're ALL going to disagree.  (the fact that your fans HAVE those kind of debates is a sign of a healthy franchise-nobody debates franchises that failed.)

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #428 on: 15 November 2022, 12:00:24 »

What most accept as the First Doctor was William Hartnell’s version. However, the Jo Martin version came before, and also called herself “The Doctor”, and is also possibly the one who had their memory wiped around the time they were regenerated to a child to become Hartnell’s Doctor.

My thought is that the Jo Martin Doctor (possibly more before her) were partially responsible for the legends that the Hartnell Doctor used to take on the name (and add to the legend). This also allows for the term “The Doctor” to become known as “Great Warrior” in the Gamma Forests (it was a previous version, pre-Hartnell, possibly pre-Martin, that raised this legend).

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #429 on: 15 November 2022, 12:05:01 »
What most accept as the First Doctor was William Hartnell’s version. However, the Jo Martin version came before, and also called herself “The Doctor”, and is also possibly the one who had their memory wiped around the time they were regenerated to a child to become Hartnell’s Doctor.

My thought is that the Jo Martin Doctor (possibly more before her) were partially responsible for the legends that the Hartnell Doctor used to take on the name (and add to the legend). This also allows for the term “The Doctor” to become known as “Great Warrior” in the Gamma Forests (it was a previous version, pre-Hartnell, possibly pre-Martin, that raised this legend).

Interesting take on it and very plausible way of explaining the path as well. And being repressed/wiped memories, the legends could be a way for The Doctor to try to regain those memories back.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #430 on: 22 November 2022, 22:05:57 »
We have a new companion for the Fifteenth Doctor! (Yes, apparently that is the numbering). And it's Coronation Street grad Millie Gibson:

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who-series-14-companion-coronation-street-millie-gibson/

Cheers,

Gabe

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #431 on: 23 November 2022, 07:31:22 »
Well everything seems to point that the lore that Chibnail's run created is staying. I can only hope story telling will improve.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #432 on: 23 November 2022, 08:22:26 »
I say good that they don't try to wipe out addition that he did and might possible use those as part of upcoming stories. I am not big on retconning and especially if it's done just because some folks on internet don't like those. 
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #433 on: 08 January 2023, 10:01:05 »
Surprised no one has yet commented on the fact that the upcoming specials will apparently have characters from the old Doctor Who comics, such as Beep the Meep and the insectoids that were chasing him, in them.

Now, if they were to bring back Frobisher as a companion, that would just be over the top.

Ruger

Register