Register Register

Author Topic: Got the new spelljammer set for 5E...  (Read 2483 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Got the new spelljammer set for 5E...
« on: 16 August 2022, 21:32:56 »
...and... well... I was not expecting the space clowns from clownspace mutated through their addiction to an elixer made partly from the nectars of the Bozo flower.*

*none of those names are an exaggeration, that is what the book actually says.

I missed out on Spelljammer back in the eighties, was it always this ridiculous?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: Got the new spelljammer set for 5E...
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2022, 21:40:59 »
Spelljammer has always been the delightful dumping ground for inside jokes, bizarre contrivances, and ascended D&D memes (yes, even in old-school Spelljammer, when said memes were just running gags between a few dozen folks on bulletin boards and lighthearted submissions to tabletop gaming publications). Its wackiness is actually kind of what saved it, in a way, as the deliberately-screwy plots and items weren't really hit too hard during the dark reign of She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. At least, that was the case until it kind of died anyways, because D&D fans weren't allowed to have nice things around that time.

Glad it's back for 5E, I'll have to look into picking up a copy for myself.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2022, 22:26:15 »
It's an interesting set. It comes with three sixty four page books (hardcover!), one sourcebook explaining the basics, a bestiary, and an adventure book, plus a dm screen for running ships.

I haven't actually really looked at the adventure that comes with it, but the whole thing seems a bit light on concrete lore. Which, you know, could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want from it. But it seems like a decent introduction.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2022, 23:23:35 »
Looks like a nice supplement. Got my copy this morning and am perusing through it. SPACE HAMSTERS, GIANT SPACE HAMSTERS!!!
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2022, 23:40:39 »
space clowns from clownspace mutated through their addiction to an elixer made partly from the nectars of the Bozo flower.*

my people

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2022, 01:39:48 »
i have to admit, i've not been big on D&D (last time i actually played was 3rd/3.5 edition) but the stuff i've read about spelljammer has been really interesting. i always thought the stuff i'd heard about the old version was neat, the new stuff looks even better.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2022, 01:42:09 by glitterboy2098 »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2022, 01:54:50 »
One thing I will say that I'm annoyed about is that the actual page count you get is the same as a book like Xanathar's Guide or Tasha's cauldron, except broken up into a set of three smaller books at a higher price point.

And... well... I have no idea why. It doesn't... feel like they're trying to gouge consumers. At least I feel like producing a box set with three hard cover books, even slim ones, would cut deep into any extra profits you'd get over a single volume.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2022, 04:11:43 »
I still don’t like that they did away with the phlogiston and crystal spheres. That really made the setting different from most any other science fiction or fantasy universe, and made some truly unique settings possible (like the one where the entire crystal sphere was a giant world, with truly massive intelligent creatures walking around the ground on the interior, and whose steps were so powerful that they crushed our magic inside each one; not to mention, the origin of the Spelljammer itself from the original setting no longer completely works)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2022, 08:24:11 »
*none of those names are an exaggeration, that is what the book actually says.

I missed out on Spelljammer back in the eighties, was it always this ridiculous?
Let's talk about the psychic space penguins riding the flying pigs, or that the gnomes created the giant space hamsters to run in the giant wheels that power their ships.
Spelljammer was were TSR put all their wacky and silly stuff, along with the anime and sci fi refs. It's part of the reason I liked it so much.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2022, 09:30:22 »
Looks like a nice supplement. Got my copy this morning and am perusing through it. SPACE HAMSTERS, GIANT SPACE HAMSTERS!!!
Don't forget the MINIATURE Giant Space Hamsters...  :D

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2022, 11:52:27 »
Don't forget the MINIATURE Giant Space Hamsters...  :D

“Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!”

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2022, 14:07:07 »
“Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!”

Ruger

5E miniature giant space hamsters actually have an ability called Go For the Eyes!

It wasn't just Spelljammer, people tend to forget just how goofy 2nd Edition could be.  It was originally canon, for example, that Elminster would Planeshift over to Ed Greenwood's house and help himself to the leftovers in Ed's fridge whenever he got a hankering for pizza and ice cream.  There were a lot of creatures who were little more than bad puns (the Beholder being one of the few to remain).  Spelljammer just cranked that up to 11 and added mechanical gnomes and British Space Hippos.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Death_from_above

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2022, 14:28:47 »

Are the Scro still in as well ?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2022, 14:57:31 »
They didn't make it.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2022, 15:01:43 »
I don't think they're specifically named but..

(quick googling to figure out what a Scro is... oh, Orcs but backwards and in space)

...there's not a whole lot of reason to assume they wouldn't exist. Boo's Astral Menagerie goes out of its way to mention practically anything could be out there, and space Orcs seem pretty easy to work out.

Maybe Wizards of the Coast just didn't want to deal with the hassle they might have gotten from another more litigious franchise with space orcs.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2022, 15:07:16 by Liam's Ghost »

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2022, 18:24:17 »
The Scro were essentially Nazi Space Orcs. I dont blame them for not wanting to open up that kettle of fish.

Especially since the Elven empire are explicitly the bad guy this go around.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 17 August 2022, 18:29:01 »
I don't think they're specifically named but..

(quick googling to figure out what a Scro is... oh, Orcs but backwards and in space)

...there's not a whole lot of reason to assume they wouldn't exist. Boo's Astral Menagerie goes out of its way to mention practically anything could be out there, and space Orcs seem pretty easy to work out.

Maybe Wizards of the Coast just didn't want to deal with the hassle they might have gotten from another more litigious franchise with space orcs.

The Scorpion Ship is one of the minis that is to be coming out for the setting. These were Orcish ships in the original setting, not of Scro design, but they were known to use them. Assuming this origin hasn’t changed, it would appear to indicate that Orcs at least are still a part of the setting.

The Scro were supposed to be more advanced orcs, but with all the changes that have been implemented to drive out…shall we say what some consider to the questionable generalistic (is that a word?) racial archetyping, they may have chosen to do away with them.

As to the Elven Empire (ok) being the “bad guys this go around”, the characterization of much of the elven forces in the previous setting (novels, comics, some sourcebooks) wasn’t very flattering either.

Ruger

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 17 August 2022, 18:45:08 »
Hence 'Explicitly' the bad guys now.

The 2e Elves did a whole lot of stuff during their war that made people look askance at their supposed Chaotic Good alignment. Like using charmed humans and prisoners to pilot suicide ships. And the undead giant insects. And the blowing up planets thing. And creating bio-engineered weapons and abandoning them after the war. Etc etc.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #18 on: 17 August 2022, 20:54:40 »
Oh. I kinda thought it would've been about the name, which I learned from a mostly-teasing classmate in middle school.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 18 August 2022, 01:50:34 »
I still don’t like that they did away with the phlogiston and crystal spheres. That really made the setting different from most any other science fiction or fantasy universe, and made some truly unique settings possible (like the one where the entire crystal sphere was a giant world, with truly massive intelligent creatures walking around the ground on the interior, and whose steps were so powerful that they crushed our magic inside each one; not to mention, the origin of the Spelljammer itself from the original setting no longer completely works)

Ruger

i'd guess that they dropepd those in the process of making the setting easier for players to understand and play. and probably to match the style they are going for. the promo trailer suggests they were going for more of a "Treasure Planet" style setting of tall ships sailing the void between stars, and stuff like explosive phlogiston and big near impassable crystal bubbles around everything would kinda detract from that.

honestly i can see this setting being popular as a way to let groups world hop between the various official D&D settings.

« Last Edit: 18 August 2022, 03:14:24 by glitterboy2098 »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 18 August 2022, 02:57:42 »
Oh my gosh I am so so sorry glitterboy. I accidentally edited your post instead of quoting it. Ack. Please forgive me. Fat fingers on an iOS screen I swear. I’m so embarrassed.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 18 August 2022, 03:09:03 »
Oh my gosh I am so so sorry glitterboy. I accidentally edited your post instead of quoting it. Ack. Please forgive me. Fat fingers on an iOS screen I swear. I’m so embarrassed.
i'll fix it if i can, though you might want to repost your question properly. :)

edit: fixed
« Last Edit: 18 August 2022, 03:14:40 by glitterboy2098 »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 18 August 2022, 03:22:55 »
i'll fix it if i can, though you might want to repost your question properly. :)

edit: fixed

Well, now you know one of the smf mod spells. Blah.

Anyhow the question was whether they’d published anything Planescape related.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 18 August 2022, 04:56:36 »
i'd guess that they dropepd those in the process of making the setting easier for players to understand and play. and probably to match the style they are going for. the promo trailer suggests they were going for more of a "Treasure Planet" style setting of tall ships sailing the void between stars, and stuff like explosive phlogiston and big near impassable crystal bubbles around everything would kinda detract from that.

honestly i can see this setting being popular as a way to let groups world hop between the various official D&D settings.

Sorry. Don’t buy the argument for being “easier to understand and play”. If kids and others 30 years ago could cope, then modern ones can as well.

Matching up with something like Treasure Planet is a bit easier to swallow, but still personally don’t like it.

Ruger

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 18 August 2022, 09:19:35 »
Well, now you know one of the smf mod spells. Blah.

Anyhow the question was whether they’d published anything Planescape related.
They have referenced various Planescape-related things, like mentioning Sigil and Factions, but have not published anything yet.
I say yet because there was an Unearthed Arcana (kind of like WotC's open playtesting stuff) recently with some fairly explicit planescape content, such as a Modron PC race and feats for being from the outer planes.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #25 on: 18 August 2022, 09:20:59 »
Yeah, they've obviously been gearing up for a Planescape campaign setting release.  Probably after Dragonlance gets released.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #26 on: 18 August 2022, 10:55:58 »
I never liked SJ. I thought they were pushing D&D into too many different genres (in this case, space opera). If I wanted to play sci-fi I'd go for West End's Star Wars or Alternity. The concept of players running around with spells, magic swords and spaceships visiting other planets was too silly for me.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #27 on: 18 August 2022, 11:11:00 »
The concept of players running around with spells, magic swords and spaceships visiting other planets was too silly for me.
But... that's the point.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 18 August 2022, 11:12:54 »
Sorry. Don’t buy the argument for being “easier to understand and play”. If kids and others 30 years ago could cope, then modern ones can as well.

Matching up with something like Treasure Planet is a bit easier to swallow, but still personally don’t like it.
Lots of people absolutely HATED the Phologiston, including me. I didnt mind the crystal shells, but they were never an important part of the setting for me, and they're rather easy to put back in if you want.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 18 August 2022, 12:47:35 »
Never really got to play SJ, but I really liked the idea of the setting. Sure it was in many ways a parody, but in that way it was pretty much like WH40k except actually interesting!

Regarding the crystal sphere/phologiston I thought the first was a really nice touch - the second... eh, I can see the reasoning behind it, but honestly it felt mostly superfluous.