Register Register

Author Topic: Got the new spelljammer set for 5E...  (Read 2480 times)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: Got the new spelljammer set for 5E...
« Reply #30 on: 18 August 2022, 13:30:38 »
I like the idea of a space scifi setting for DnD, but its more of a medieval fantasy setting version of game. Might try it later after a different campaign or two.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships just passed the 567
 Battlemechs I now own.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 18 August 2022, 13:37:40 »
Everything I’ve read elsewhere is people lamenting that a lot of the stuff that makes Spelljammer Spelljammer are half assed rules that almost always say the DM will make it up.  And ship combat basically being meh.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 18 August 2022, 14:20:17 »
Yeah, they've obviously been gearing up for a Planescape campaign setting release.  Probably after Dragonlance gets released.

They just announced today Planescape next year, along with some other books.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #33 on: 18 August 2022, 14:22:54 »
Everything I’ve read elsewhere is people lamenting that a lot of the stuff that makes Spelljammer Spelljammer are half assed rules that almost always say the DM will make it up.  And ship combat basically being meh.

If the books together basically make up the same volume as one of their other setting sourcebooks I'm not surprised. This has the feel of something pretty neat, but they short-sheeted the process vs expectations. I'm copacetic with this since I tend to veer toward DM agency and creativity, but I can understand other peoples' need to have set rules structures.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #34 on: 18 August 2022, 14:23:09 »
They just announced today Planescape next year, along with some other books.

Good to know.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #35 on: 18 August 2022, 14:26:06 »
Yeah, they've obviously been gearing up for a Planescape campaign setting release.  Probably after Dragonlance gets released.

IIRC I saw on the D&D FB page late 2023 for PLanescape.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #36 on: 18 August 2022, 18:45:41 »
Anyhow the question was whether they’d published anything Planescape related.
They have referenced various Planescape-related things, like mentioning Sigil and Factions, but have not published anything yet.
I say yet because there was an Unearthed Arcana (kind of like WotC's open playtesting stuff) recently with some fairly explicit planescape content, such as a Modron PC race and feats for being from the outer planes.
one of my friends on FB shared a group discussing an official press release, apparently it is in the pipe for Fall of 2023.

announced by Wizards of the Coast on Aug. 18, 2022, coming to D&D for release in 2023:
Winter 2023 – Keys from the Golden Vault.
Spring 2023 – Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants.
Summer 2023 – The Book of Many Things.
Summer 2023 – "Phandelver Campaign"
Fall 2023 – "Planescape"
"Wizards Presents" aired live on Twitch and YouTube, revealing, among many other things, the plans for five new D&D sourcebooks set to come out in 2023. The first of these, releasing in winter, is Keys From the Golden Vault. Following this in the spring is Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants, a companion book to Fizban's Treasury of Dragons. Summer brings a new resource, Book of Many Things and a full-length remix of many players' first adventure, the Phandelver Campaign. The fall release will be the return of the classic legendary setting Planescape.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #37 on: 18 August 2022, 18:52:57 »
Glory of the Giants sounds interesting, based on some of the giant-themed playtest material they've released this year.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #38 on: 18 August 2022, 19:17:24 »
Sorry. Don’t buy the argument for being “easier to understand and play”. If kids and others 30 years ago could cope, then modern ones can as well.

Matching up with something like Treasure Planet is a bit easier to swallow, but still personally don’t like it.

Ruger
thing is, its probably less "can they cope" and more "how can we make this less complicated". Pholgiston, wildspace, crystal spheres.. that's a lot of extra rules and concepts to juggle, and the post 2nd ed editions have generally been about not complicating the game overly much with lots of extra fiddly details. something that i understand 4th ed sorta failed to do in practice in some areas, but you have to admit that "travel far enough away from your planet and everything is the Astral plane" is certainly a lot less fiddly and easier to use. you get the same 'tall ships and pirates in space' setting but without having chapters and chapters of new rules to track.

especially as my understanding of previous editions (based on skimming articles recently) is that the conceptual structures of their worlds aren't really compatible with the 2nd ed spelljammer concepts.. meaning that you'd actually have to do a lot of retconing to make crystal spheres and such work again.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2022, 19:22:45 by glitterboy2098 »

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 19 August 2022, 07:20:05 »
thing is, its probably less "can they cope" and more "how can we make this less complicated". Pholgiston, wildspace, crystal spheres.. that's a lot of extra rules and concepts to juggle, and the post 2nd ed editions have generally been about not complicating the game overly much with lots of extra fiddly details. something that i understand 4th ed sorta failed to do in practice in some areas, but you have to admit that "travel far enough away from your planet and everything is the Astral plane" is certainly a lot less fiddly and easier to use. you get the same 'tall ships and pirates in space' setting but without having chapters and chapters of new rules to track.

especially as my understanding of previous editions (based on skimming articles recently) is that the conceptual structures of their worlds aren't really compatible with the 2nd ed spelljammer concepts.. meaning that you'd actually have to do a lot of retconing to make crystal spheres and such work again.

Not sure I agree. All it takes is a paragraph or two really:

“Welcome to the Spelljammer universe. This is a multiverse of adventure where each campaign world you may have visited can be found again within its own crystal sphere; a solar system and its accompanying Wildspace encapsulated within a vast impenetrable sphere of solid crystal, accessible, with a couple of notable exceptions, only by magic. All the various crystal spheres float within a vast sea of phlogiston, a highly flammable substance that creates giant fireballs anytime a flame is brought within it. Fortunately, phlogiston is incapable of entering any crystal sphere, so the suns within them do not ignite it. No one living knows why this is, or who (what?) made it this way, but some speculate that ages and ages past, some primordial deity sought to prevent future wrongs to prevent another tragedy such as some mythical one done when the universe was much younger.

But that is speculation and history that none today can know for sure. Now is the time for travel on the etheric  winds of wildspace and the flows of the phlogiston seas; where your ship and crew is often the only thing standing between survival and death, profit and poverty, glory and infamy.

Now it’s time to set sail for adventure!”

Or something along those lines, in any case.

IMHO anyways.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #40 on: 19 August 2022, 22:14:25 »
Let's talk about the psychic space penguins riding the flying pigs, or that the gnomes created the giant space hamsters to run in the giant wheels that power their ships.
Spelljammer was were TSR put all their wacky and silly stuff, along with the anime and sci fi refs. It's part of the reason I liked it so much.

But in 5e, the giant space hamsters apparently have yet to successfully power a gnomish ship, giant wheels or not, according to the sourcebook.

So, having gone through the books now, some observations; a mix of both likes, dislikes and mere observations:

1) love the fact that they used the same ship layouts as from the original game.
2) curious as to why the change from catapults to mangonels.
3) noticed the removal of the jettisons from all ships that previously had them, and on most of the ship layout deck plans, but the Star Moth/Elven Man o’ War still listed it on its layout (but not weapon list).
4) removed the numbers from and listing for the “slave pens” on the Nightspider/Deathspider and Nautiloid.
5) apparently the Nightspider flys backwards in comparison to the Deathspider as the latter’s aft-mounted catapult (as noted in the War Captain’s Companion boxes set) is now a forward-mounted mangonel in the Nightspider.
6) there actually was at least one solar system in which the planets and wildspace of the system was encased in a crystal sphere at one time. Making their removal from the setting even more puzzling.
7) around a half-dozen or so creatures in Boo’s Menagerie I heavily associate with the Dark Sun setting (Braxat, B’rohg, Gaj, Psurlons, Ssurrans, Thri-kreen…although this last is also associated with Spelljammer quite heavily in the original version, admittedly, as well as other settings).
8 ) why the change of the Arcane to the Mercane for the racial name?
9) ok, so the Radiant Dragons are still around, but their more common name is now Solar Dragons
10) spelljamming helms require attunement by a spellcaster, but unlike most items requiring attunement in 5e, instead of taking an hour for the process to work, it can be done immediately if one spellcaster trades to attunement to another spellcaster. That can work.
11) love the images provided of various spelljamming helms, and their descriptions.
12) love that the Turtle Ship, which was one of my favs from the original setting, can travel underwater, like another previous favorite, the Triop.
13) also that the Star Moth, which was previously restricted to space and phlogiston only can now land on water or land (I assume the wings have to alter position for this though).

Now, we still need the Battle Dolphin, Eel Ship, Vipership, Dragonfly, Mosquito, Armada, Citadel Ship, Triop, Octopus and Curle Commands, as well as the various gnomish ships and so many others.

Edit: a couple other things I liked: the two special abilities of the Nautiloid.

And two other things that needs to come back: the Lifejammer and Deathhelms. Maybe pool helms too.

Ruger
« Last Edit: 19 August 2022, 22:41:57 by Ruger »
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #41 on: 19 August 2022, 22:46:39 »
The Arcane/Mercane name change goes back to third edition. A running theory is that it was done to avoid confusion with arcane magic.

*shrug*
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #42 on: 19 August 2022, 23:23:18 »
The Arcane/Mercane name change goes back to third edition. A running theory is that it was done to avoid confusion with arcane magic.

*shrug*

Don’t remember that. To me, it sounds like someone said “let’s call these guys something different” (maybe because of the arcane magic thing) and some responded “ok. What should we call them?”

“Well, they are merchants and sell arcane magic items. How about “Mercane”?”

Yeah, a really bad pun/play on words.

Ruger

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #43 on: 19 August 2022, 23:28:36 »
That's entirely plausible, but that's what they were called when they first showed up in the 3.0 Manual of the Planes.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #44 on: 20 August 2022, 05:20:32 »
That's entirely plausible, but that's what they were called when they first showed up in the 3.0 Manual of the Planes.

Not sure I ever got that one.

Ruger

Register