Register Register

Author Topic: Insane prices you paid for your hobbies?  (Read 1922 times)

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Insane prices you paid for your hobbies?
« Reply #30 on: 17 June 2021, 23:17:21 »
I've picked up a fair bit of original BattleTech art (mostly from PropWash at conventions, the Tundra Wolf is from David White), around $400 for the lot.

But the most I've spent on anything interest-related is my original Larry Elmore Dragonlance painting, from his first kickstarter. $8600, but he's told me I could get more than double for it lately.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 18 June 2021, 00:42:47 »
I don't want to derail the thread, but if we're posting Transformer collections, who am I to say no?  First wall is above my modelling and painting desks.  The the opposite wall is a hodgepodge of different shelving units until I find a shelf and cabinet combo I like enough to line the whole wall.  Though Unicron will likely require me to keep the cabinet he's on because of the foot print of his stand.  Not needed in robot mode, but a requirement for planet mode.  The rest of them are in a tote in the closet until I get more shelves aside from a few scattered in various places around the condo.

Growing up, when I asked for a new toy, my parents were very fond of the reply, "When you grow up and get a job you can buy all the toys you want."  I like to think I made them proud.
Well, moving has got to be a PITA. So much bubble wrap, so much bubble wrap.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 18 June 2021, 05:12:20 »
I don't want to derail the thread, but if we're posting Transformer collections, who am I to say no?  First wall is above my modelling and painting desks.  The the opposite wall is a hodgepodge of different shelving units until I find a shelf and cabinet combo I like enough to line the whole wall.  Though Unicron will likely require me to keep the cabinet he's on because of the foot print of his stand.  Not needed in robot mode, but a requirement for planet mode.  The rest of them are in a tote in the closet until I get more shelves aside from a few scattered in various places around the condo.

Growing up, when I asked for a new toy, my parents were very fond of the reply, "When you grow up and get a job you can buy all the toys you want."  I like to think I made them proud.

That Omega Supreme is amazing and dear lord that Unicron!!!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 18 June 2021, 09:00:25 »
my aw dropped when i got this in my e mail
https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/18/playmobil_star_trek/
but being across the pond i dont think it will be available here
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 18 June 2021, 16:20:28 »
metroplex was christmas '87 for me. i was six. my last buy was probably... the Airwave micromaster thing? did i really quit transformers in 1989? i guess that checks out. the wiki indicates the G1 toy line ceased after 1990 in the states. by '93 i was pretty much exclusively into videogames. the only "toy" stuff i still did was the occasional LEGO Technic kit

Besides Transformers in the mid-late 80s, i was highly into the ZOIDS toys...  Even had the ZOIDS game for the Commodore 64...

I am no where close to even 1/10th the size of that collection.  Hell i doubt i hit the 1/20th level..  At most i had
Ratchet
metroplex
Ultra magnus
Optimus prime
Magnetron
Galvetron
Skywarp
Starscream
Dirge
Jazz
Blaster
Ravage/rumble/frenzy/lazerbeak
Mirrage
Hound
Hotrod
and rodimus prime...

There was iirc 4 other individual ones i had, but right now the names escape me.
As for combiners, the ONLY full set i had, were the aerial bots.

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 18 June 2021, 16:35:20 »
Not shown is the recent remake of Devastator that's almost as tall as Tripticon.  I forgot he was still standing on the kitchen counter where he'd been watching over the paper towel dispenser for the last couple weeks.  No, I'm not married.  Why do you ask?

To be honest, that collection has a much smaller amount of originals than I'd like. I'm just making up for all the times my parents said, "no."  ;) Sadly, originals in half way descent condition now go for way out of my price range, but I do have several of the retro reissues.  I do have all but one of my original Tranformers from when I was a kid though.  The missing one was one of those you pull back and it zooms off before transforming itself into robot mode(and then promptly falling over).  One day I was playing with it and it zoomed off under a table.  Went to retrieve it and it was gone.  Never found it.

Never finished an original combiner as a kid.  Funny enough, I had the one Aerial bot that my cousin was missing to finish his.  I was soooo ticked when I learned as adults his mom had thrown them all away.

That Omega Supreme is amazing and dear lord that Unicron!!!

Omega Supreme was the first large one I gave in and preordered.  He is wonderful.  There's been many times I've just stared at him or the larger Skylynx for awhile.  They're just perfect.   They're both the kind of figure you see in person and just know that some 80s kid G1 fan managed to get his dream job at Hasbro.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #36 on: 18 June 2021, 19:39:23 »
I’ve just got a box of busted to hell G1 toys because I played with them until the transforming parts broke off

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 18 June 2021, 20:38:20 »
i think it was 88 or 89 i bought the biggest transformer to date the headmaster fortress maximus i think...lost track of transformers about 25 years back but it was the biggest transformer at the time.paid with my own money almost 200 plus usd i think had it for about 6 weeks and my stepmother being a nice whatever creature and curses are fit gave it away still un opened to one of her friends crotch goblins...her excuse? you do not need toy this big...i worked second part time job she never knew about for 5 weeks to get that thing
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #38 on: 18 June 2021, 22:02:31 »
I’ve just got a box of busted to hell G1 toys because I played with them until the transforming parts broke off

Same here. I still have a mostly intact Scattershot, but the rest of my originals all went to pieces over the years.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 19 June 2021, 00:26:27 »
Omega Supreme was the first large one I gave in and preordered.  He is wonderful.  There's been many times I've just stared at him or the larger Skylynx for awhile.  They're just perfect.   They're both the kind of figure you see in person and just know that some 80s kid G1 fan managed to get his dream job at Hasbro.

Who was that big one, standing next to Omega supreme?

Sapphirus

• Warrant Officer
  • Stressed out? Here's an image of Kirby sitting :)
« Reply #40 on: 19 June 2021, 00:37:40 »
Who was that big one, standing next to Omega supreme?
That'll be Metroplex (the white City Bot)

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #41 on: 19 June 2021, 02:36:03 »
Radio Control cars, trucks and boats
Firearms
All things Battletech
Other miniatures games like 40K, Team Yankee and Flames of War
High end watches

…..and the wife loves jewelry and designer purses.  :-\
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #42 on: 19 June 2021, 06:51:41 »
I've picked up a fair bit of original BattleTech art (mostly from PropWash at conventions, the Tundra Wolf is from David White), around $400 for the lot.

But the most I've spent on anything interest-related is my original Larry Elmore Dragonlance painting, from his first kickstarter. $8600, but he's told me I could get more than double for it lately.
Cool, you got the "SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!/Whoop, Whoop, Whoop!" Locust art!    :thumbsup:   :beer:

And anything by Elmore is AMAZING!   :drool:

But $8,600.00!   :o  Yowza!
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 19 June 2021, 07:09:58 »
I've paid some ridiculous prices for some out of print books for both Battletech and Vampire: The Masquerade.

I also collect a lot of Godzilla items, and I finally obtained my "Holy Grail" figure which was the figure of Grand Ghidorah from Mothra III, in box, unopened....Yeeeah, that one was definitely in the price range of "Sleeping on the couch for a couple of weeks" if the Wife saw what I'd paid. *laughs*

Clan Ghost Bear Beta & Rho Galaxies (3050, 3150)
3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
21st Centauri Lancers

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 19 June 2021, 12:48:36 »
i think it was 88 or 89 i bought the biggest transformer to date the headmaster fortress maximus i think...lost track of transformers about 25 years back but it was the biggest transformer at the time.paid with my own money almost 200 plus usd i think had it for about 6 weeks and my stepmother being a nice whatever creature and curses are fit gave it away still un opened to one of her friends crotch goblins...her excuse? you do not need toy this big...i worked second part time job she never knew about for 5 weeks to get that thing

:o

Never had a stepmother, but it that ever happened to me, you'd better believe $200 of her stuff would have disappeared shortly afterwards.

And yes, Fortress Maximus was the largest transformer right up until the recent release of Metroplex (seen next to Omega Supreme in my earlier pick).  I think Metroplex held the title right up until Unicron's release.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 19 June 2021, 13:45:31 »
:o

Never had a stepmother, but it that ever happened to me, you'd better believe $200 of her stuff would have disappeared shortly afterwards.

And yes, Fortress Maximus was the largest transformer right up until the recent release of Metroplex (seen next to Omega Supreme in my earlier pick).  I think Metroplex held the title right up until Unicron's release.
was still in jr high at the time i gad several part time jobs so i could eat...i had one job that my stepmother knew abut and always took almost all my money saying that it is for the food i am eating and room i live in. yah she said that and i never ate any food at home because she would hit me or abuse me for it.
as for payback lets just say she is still paying for it...

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #46 on: 19 June 2021, 14:12:35 »

What have you bought for your hobbies or interests that was totally worth it for you, but would probably make (or has made) other people call you nuts?

Honestly, nothing,   Oh,  I've spent more $$ than I can count,  but in hind sight,  I'm not sure much of it was "Worth It"

« Last Edit: 19 June 2021, 21:47:12 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 19 June 2021, 14:33:05 »
That'll be Metroplex (the white City Bot)

Must have been a different one, than the metroplex i owned..  Cause he was more grey than white, and the gun wasn't that large..

Sounds like what happened to one guy i knew while stationed in the UK, back in 99...  Had over 3 dozen, issue one to four's of a # of comics, shrinkwrapped and in great condition, he stored, for the money they'd eventually be worth..  Joined up with the RAF, and let his Mother in law, house sit while he deployed..
CAME back home after deployment, to find his MoL, had OPENED EVERY DAMN comic in that box, and had stained 2 of them, while reading them to her grand son, THEN GAVE THEM TO the local library....

BOY WAS HE ready to go nuclear on her butt...

Family or not, you do something THAT borked, you should expect some massive backlash.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 19 June 2021, 14:39:07 »
I am no where close to even 1/10th the size of that collection.  Hell i doubt i hit the 1/20th level..  At most i had
Ratchet
metroplex
Ultra magnus
Optimus prime
Magnetron
Galvetron
Skywarp
Starscream
Dirge
Jazz
Blaster
Ravage/rumble/frenzy/lazerbeak
Mirrage
Hound
Hotrod
and rodimus prime...

I was strictly Gen-1 as their known now as they were the last toy I collected before being "too old for toys".

I can still remember most of my collection.

Autobots:
Optimus Prime
Jetfire
Grimlock

Jazz + Prowl + Mirage   (Mid sized cars)
Bumblebee + I think all 5 of the other small ones like Bumblebee....... Brawn, CliffJumper,  I forget the rest.

Decepticons:
Skywarp
Soundwave + Buzzsaw, Laserbeak, & Rumble/Frenzy?  +  A couple copy cat knock offs
All 6 Constructicons to form Devastator
1 of the Insecticons, the one w/ long nose/stinger/injector.

I'd actually love to have the 4 Autobots in bold & all the Decepticons but the insect just for nostalgia shelves like many of you have shown.
Not all of them, but the bold ones that I liked the most.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 19 June 2021, 14:41:10 »
Same here. I still have a mostly intact Scattershot, but the rest of my originals all went to pieces over the years.

My Insecticon mentioned above is the only transformer I ever broke, dropped him mid step & foot came down on him & broke the arm at the shoulder.
He stayed in bug mode after that since trying to transform him just made the glue break.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #50 on: 19 June 2021, 15:06:02 »
The last transformer i remember buying, was ultra-magnus, back in 1988..  Back then i got it for the ripe price of 22 quid...  I'd HATE to see how pricy they are now days..  I also had metroplex, for one of my xmas gifts one year.

The most recent Ultra Magnus toy is £40 in Smyth's right now, on sale from 50.  Not too bad a price hike in 35 years, and the toys are more poseable and detailed now than they were then.

Probably my single most expensive hobby purchase was the Arcadia reissue of the Yamato SDF-1 Macross toy, with the premium finish from 2018.  €503 before shipping.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Sapphirus

• Warrant Officer
  • Stressed out? Here's an image of Kirby sitting :)
« Reply #51 on: 19 June 2021, 17:10:38 »
My exposure to Transformers was Generation 2 (I was a 90s kid), I had a 1993 re-release of Optimus Prime (the one that has the black trailer (as opposed to grey) with rocket launchers and a soundbox with various sounds and a poor impersonation of Optimus Prime saying "I am Optimus Prime!" along side of Bumblebee, and the Yellow (as opposed to green) Constructicons.  Sadly I lost them due to the quality of the G2 re-releases and my parents not aware of "not throwing away broken toys". As of 2010 or 2011 I got intro collecting other Transformers line (except for Bayformers but whatever floats your boats) starting with MP Skywarp that I got for X-mas eve in 2010.  Off-topic: My exposure to the cartoon was the G2 reruns of the G1 Cartoon (different intro, Segway, and commercial bumpers), it's not until 2009 when I picked up the first Shout Factory complete DVD release of Transformers G1 season 1.  Back on topic of the toys: I do collect G1 toys since the past decade and onward.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2021, 17:12:57 by Sapphirus »

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 19 June 2021, 17:12:07 »
Must have been a different one, than the metroplex i owned..  Cause he was more grey than white, and the gun wasn't that large..

Probably had the original.  That one is only a few years old.  I tried to find a picture of it compared to the original, but this is the best I could find.  I guess the difference is still pretty clear though.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #53 on: 19 June 2021, 20:26:06 »
Mine are a tad bit incomplete, but here's a size comparison.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #54 on: 19 June 2021, 21:53:49 »
The most I single spent on a miniature was the $400 Lego Super Star Destoryer and I just dropped $400 on a Telescope. Now many of times I've spent $400 on miniatures at a drop.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships Now. 500 looks like it will stay for a long time.

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 20 June 2021, 01:51:09 »
I was strictly Gen-1 as their known now as they were the last toy I collected before being "too old for toys".

I can still remember most of my collection.

Autobots:
Optimus Prime
Jetfire
Grimlock

Jazz + Prowl + Mirage   (Mid sized cars)
Bumblebee + I think all 5 of the other small ones like Bumblebee....... Brawn, CliffJumper,  I forget the rest.

Goldbug, Cliffjumper and brawn i had.. Those were 3 i forgot.

Decepticons:
Skywarp
Soundwave + Buzzsaw, Laserbeak, & Rumble/Frenzy?  +  A couple copy cat knock offs
All 6 Constructicons to form Devastator
1 of the Insecticons, the one w/ long nose/stinger/injector.

I'd actually love to have the 4 Autobots in bold & all the Decepticons but the insect just for nostalgia shelves like many of you have shown.
Not all of them, but the bold ones that I liked the most.
I had ALL three of the insecticons, but sold them prior to my leaving the UK.

The most recent Ultra Magnus toy is £40 in Smyth's right now, on sale from 50.  Not too bad a price hike in 35 years, and the toys are more poseable and detailed now than they were then.

No, that's not, considering that in 1986 or so, my working the market for a weekend netted me a tenner.. These days it would be closer to 30 a weekend.

Off-topic: My exposure to the cartoon was the G2 reruns of the G1 Cartoon (different intro, Segway, and commercial bumpers), it's not until 2009 when I picked up the first Shout Factory complete DVD release of Transformers G1 season 1.  Back on topic of the toys: I do collect G1 toys since the past decade and onward.

Was a LOT more into the comics, than i ever was the cartoon...  Especially the UK issues.

Mine are a tad bit incomplete, but here's a size comparison.

That looks like the one i had, with the funky arm stickers..

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #56 on: 20 June 2021, 08:48:02 »
OK, photo time of my massive LEGO Collection.

First up, is the U-WING Fighter from ROGUE ONE, next to which is Liea and Frozen Han from my Bespin Set (see below) as well as Slave 1 from the same set. Then we have the nice Emperor's Royal Guard Tie Interceptor.

next to that the massive Super Star Destroyer, along with a Gun from the Death Star and Ben at the Tractor Beam Controls. With the Star Destroyer is a limited edition Admiral Wullf LEGO mini fig (I actually have 2 of them):

Also pictured is the 2020 Death Star Battle 2 limited edition set:

Final part of that shelf:

One of my many Tie Fighter sets, an Imperial Dropship, the Mandalorian's Razorcrest, and finally another SLAVE I.

beneath that shelf is a shelving unit with, Star Desroyers, a Limit Edition Endor Battle Scene, the Jawa Sandcrawler, a T-16 Skyhopper, many, many, many Advent Calendar mini-figs, the emperor's throne room, an Imperial Tank from Rogue One, a collection of AT-AT and various AT-ST's including the AT-ST from The Mandalorian, Ben's Hut, and the Tusken Raider Crossbow and Swoop from Mandalorian.

We then have a B-Wing, and Next to that Porkin's X-Wing (who of course is hlding a Drink and a Sausage, because - why not).

Next that Po Damron's X-Wing, a couple of A-Wings, and the Tantive IV Corellian Corvette.

A Large Model of the Y-Ying (Probably my favorite Rebel Ship), as well as two T-47 Air speeders, one as a Snow-Speeder, and one as a Sand Speeder.

My BESPIN set

A Y-WING (and another in red to the left), and a Millennium Falcon, complete with a Mynock (one came an Advent Calendar's so where else to put it ;))

The RED Y-WING and part of my newest addition, the Tattoowine Cantina

And of course, my LEGO Obsession is not limited to STAR WARS

We have the Simpson's House, and the Kwik-E-Mart, as well as Dr Strange's Sanctum Sanctorium.....and a Z-95 Headhunter....cause STAR WARS!

And finally:

Another of Po's X-Wings and the CENTRAL PERK from FRIENDS, complete with Darth Vader and Po sharing nice cup of Coffee in the background (sooooooo many Christmas Mini-Figs!)

And yes, I will likely be picking up the FRIENDS Apartment set, as well as....SPOILERS...the upcoming Arquiten's Light Cruiser, the BAD BATCH Shuttle, and Mandalorian Fighter.

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 20 June 2021, 09:50:36 »
Personally I'd just like a new TIE defender, Torrent, and ARC-170...

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #58 on: 20 June 2021, 17:32:00 »
My Insecticon mentioned above is the only transformer I ever broke, dropped him mid step & foot came down on him & broke the arm at the shoulder.
He stayed in bug mode after that since trying to transform him just made the glue break.

The only one I broke was Mirage. I had taken him to school, & had him in the front pouch of my backpack. When getting in the car with my dad I put my hand on the wrong place on my backpack, & snapped Mirage in half at the waist. I glued him back together, but he was never the same...

I bought an updated one much, much later as an adult (Mirage was my VERY FIRST Transformer), but my ex, on the way out of my life, stole it (along with several Battletech items, for that matter), & sold it on Ebay to fund the end of our relationship. I have never forgiven her.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #59 on: 20 June 2021, 17:43:39 »
My biggest nerd regret is not getting the big y-wing

Register