Register Register

Author Topic: Leviathans board game, aka Monsters in the sky  (Read 27325 times)

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Leviathans board game, aka Monsters in the sky
« Reply #270 on: 09 August 2022, 09:35:12 »
It would be cool to have an "outrageous" scheme for somebody in Leviathans. :).
But it would clash with the desire to have the "base" paint schemes be easy to paint over?
White shouldn't be hard to paint over.  Red, white and blue or flames or lightning bolts might be too much.

Have you seen the historical Austro-Hungarian colours?  Dark Green, Light Green and Pink.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #271 on: 09 August 2022, 10:00:41 »
Someone on the last update asked about getting some posters of the Leviathans . . .

. . . can you imagine getting a poster in the vein of the old WWI/WWII warship paintings?

SMS Kaiser vs HMS Warspite at Jutland

Or even just a 'sailing' image like . . .

I would grab a poster or two like that to go up on the wall with my Battletech posts and HMS Belfast cut-away.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
« Reply #272 on: 09 August 2022, 10:42:40 »
Have you seen the historical Austro-Hungarian colours?  Dark Green, Light Green and Pink.

Nope, got any examples of those? That sounds awesome.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets]

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #273 on: 09 August 2022, 10:55:02 »

This was the first colorized photo I found . . . but it 'looks' different than this other picture of their battleship SMS Virbius Unitis, though I am wondering about that date since I also found a picture of one of those class BBs sinking.

Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
« Reply #274 on: 09 August 2022, 11:47:14 »
Yeah, I think if I want more color, while still keeping somewhat realistic, I would have to go with a top-bottom split where the bottom is painted light blue/white/lighter grey, and green/brown on the top.  Take more inspiration from World War I aircraft.  Navy vessels are going to be camoflaged based on a surface observer viewing across the sea with the ship projecting up in to the sky. 
Though, with Leviathans taking over, perhaps the navies should start looking more at water colors for camoflage. 
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets]

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #275 on: 09 August 2022, 11:50:27 »
Yeah, I think if I want more color, while still keeping somewhat realistic, I would have to go with a top-bottom split where the bottom is painted light blue/white/lighter grey, and green/brown on the top.  Take more inspiration from World War I aircraft.  Navy vessels are going to be camoflaged based on a surface observer viewing across the sea with the ship projecting up in to the sky. 
Though, with Leviathans taking over, perhaps the navies should start looking more at water colors for camoflage.

Agree all, and ships painted blue to hide from levs better is a really neat idea!  (obviously, probably doesn't work when underway and kicking out buckets of smoke.  But making it hard for gunners to hit them while in port or whatever?  really cool idea!)

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #276 on: 09 August 2022, 11:54:50 »
Someone on the last update asked about getting some posters of the Leviathans . . .

. . . can you imagine getting a poster in the vein of the old WWI/WWII warship paintings?

I would grab a poster or two like that to go up on the wall with my Battletech posts and HMS Belfast cut-away.
That was me asking.  I'm a bit surprised that poster art isn't a part of the add-ons or unlockable freebies given how much Randall talked about Doug Chaffee and his influence on the first edition of the game.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #277 on: 09 August 2022, 12:05:45 »
It might not be historically accurate for war conditions, but I prefer bright and unified color schemes. Just something so people automatically know what faction they're seeing on the table. For the US, Buff and White is kinda classic AND spiffy. Maybe keep a thin red line at the widest point of the hull, even if you dont really need antifouling paint anymore.

Realistically though? Probably some form of two tone countershading. Possibly dazzle camo or some form of false turrets/bow/ductwork since spotting is mostly going to be visual. Smoke generators on smaller ships to confuse spotters as to what they're seeing at far distances.

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #278 on: 09 August 2022, 12:12:37 »
My understanding is that Austro-Hungarian ships were painted green until early 1914.  Dark green above the waterline, pink stripe at the waterline, anti-fouling green below (sometimes described as dark green, but not as dark as the superstructure).  Unpainted teak decks, though some of their ships had full linoleum decks and they probably would've been dark green too.  The idea is that the ships would usually be close to shore so a forest sort of green would be the best camouflage.  That could still make sense for a nation intending to fight over land more than over sea.

But like everyone else, they went from cool peacetime color schemes to wartime gray for the open seas.  The dark green above the waterline gave way to light bluish gray.  They kept the pink stripe for at least a year, then switched it to dark gray.  They kept the green anti-fouling lower hull. 

Do Leviathans ever descend into the water?  Any need for anti-fouling paint?
« Last Edit: 09 August 2022, 12:19:06 by carlisimo »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #279 on: 09 August 2022, 12:23:28 »
That was me asking.  I'm a bit surprised that poster art isn't a part of the add-ons or unlockable freebies given how much Randall talked about Doug Chaffee and his influence on the first edition of the game.

Not disagreeing, especially since we get some quick-looking render art.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #280 on: 09 August 2022, 13:02:30 »
Kicktraq is projecting $800k now--and if it is anywhere in this vicinity I'd say this was a crazy successful KS for Leviathans--far better than I expected.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #281 on: 09 August 2022, 13:05:53 »
Well, 800k would unlock everything presented- so that means Global Escalation and all the additional cruisers.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #282 on: 09 August 2022, 13:11:31 »
About all we know is that in this timeline Roosevelt is back in the Oval Office(due to outrage over the conquest of Chile), and rumors of exotic Tesla-designed weapons.

As for print schemes...who knows. The sky is a very different realm than the sea. Me, I go with pre-war colors, I find them much more interesting.

This is the Way.  Frankly, I'd love to see a modern warship running the Great White Fleet colors as a peacetime throwback one of these days.
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #283 on: 09 August 2022, 15:42:40 »
given that targeting technology is going to be largely the same as in IRL, i could see Dazzle Camo being employed to help throw off enemy targeting. the basic principles of how that worked wouldn't be changed with the switch from sea to sky. and it was tried on aircraft in WW1 to make them harder to target, the effect was minor; notable but not really enough to merit becoming standard.
also apparently they used a lot of color, which would be fun for a miniatures game.

IRL the british used it fairly widely between 1914 and 1918, so that could be a distinctive paintjob for them.

« Last Edit: 09 August 2022, 15:44:14 by glitterboy2098 »

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #284 on: 09 August 2022, 16:36:36 »
Kicktraq is projecting $800k now--and if it is anywhere in this vicinity I'd say this was a crazy successful KS for Leviathans--far better than I expected.

Backerkit is projecting $506k (range: $379k to $635k).  No idea what the two sites' track records look like but I feel like that ~$500k number is more realistic.  We're at $310k now, but the early numbers tend to be a little inflated when games have an existing fanbase so I don't have high expectations for the late-campaign bump.  And while I like the team's work on the game, I don't think the information is being presented in a way that's friendly to new players.  There's a lot of information about the new 'edition' of the game on its website that isn't on the Kickstarter page.  The lore is there too.  They recorded a sample game at Gencon but they haven't posted a link to it (people have in the comments, though).  Images of the ships are scattered - there's no clear view of what each nation's fleet looks like.  It's still a little fuzzy what battlecruisers are in terms of having their own minis or not; Update 9 makes me think I know the answer, but people are still asking in the comments because it isn't THAT clear. 

I found it easier to make sense of the Clan Invasion Kickstarter campaign once they posted (fanmade?) images of what each level included.

But I've gotten deep into it all the same, and I hope we reach $500k.  If we get close, I might be tempted to upgrade to Commander level.  It gives you roughly 5 fleets' worth of stuff without add-ons, if one or two fleets can make do with battlecruisers instead of battleships.

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #285 on: 09 August 2022, 16:59:45 »
Do Leviathans ever descend into the water?  Any need for anti-fouling paint?

In the backer novella, 2 Leviathans land in water to then dock at a quay in a non-hostile port.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #286 on: 09 August 2022, 17:00:54 »
Negative, it's trending towards $800k, and based on how they handle their trends I absolutely don't understand why they make such a big deal out of that statistic. Its actual projections are currently $475k-$672k.
On another note, looks like the GenCon bump died down pretty quickly. Darn.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #287 on: 09 August 2022, 18:33:43 »
Negative, it's trending towards $800k, and based on how they handle their trends I absolutely don't understand why they make such a big deal out of that statistic. Its actual projections are currently $475k-$672k.
On another note, looks like the GenCon bump died down pretty quickly. Darn.
Yeah the "trending" number is what it would make if averaged the same daily rate over the course of the whole kickstarter. With so many slower days in the middle yet to come that will go down. If you look at the "Daily Data" chart and compare it to the one for BT https://kicktraq.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion/#chart-daily you'll see there's more slow days to come. Kickstarters typically have big first & last days, medium 2nd & 2nd to last days, and lots of slow ones in the middle. That will bring the "trending" number down
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #288 on: 09 August 2022, 18:51:34 »
Well, take the low number of $475k and we still get the two campaign boxes produced which would be good for the health of the game I think.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

StCptMara

• Major
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #289 on: 10 August 2022, 01:00:28 »
Yeah the "trending" number is what it would make if averaged the same daily rate over the course of the whole kickstarter. With so many slower days in the middle yet to come that will go down. If you look at the "Daily Data" chart and compare it to the one for BT https://kicktraq.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion/#chart-daily you'll see there's more slow days to come. Kickstarters typically have big first & last days, medium 2nd & 2nd to last days, and lots of slow ones in the middle. That will bring the "trending" number down

The Trending, I have found, to be more accurate towards the later half of a campaign. And, it is usually: Huge first day, drops off over the next 3 days, trickles throughout the rest of the campaign, picks up the last 3 days, with the last 24 hours often rivaling, if not exceeding, the first 24 hours.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #290 on: 10 August 2022, 03:57:29 »

They could always reprint the Recognition Poster from the original set; I have mine framed in my (home) office, and it's visible when I'm in a Teams meeting. I frequently get asked what it is, but only people I approve of get told ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #291 on: 10 August 2022, 08:31:43 »
About all we know is that in this timeline Roosevelt is back in the Oval Office(due to outrage over the conquest of Chile), and rumors of exotic Tesla-designed weapons.

Maybe they have the most powerful weapons in the game, designed by Tesla and Edison, but whenever both are in the same fleet the ships can't coordinate at all.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #292 on: 10 August 2022, 12:24:30 »
Backerkit is projecting $506k (range: $379k to $635k).  No idea what the two sites' track records look like but I feel like that ~$500k number is more realistic.  We're at $310k now, but the early numbers tend to be a little inflated when games have an existing fanbase so I don't have high expectations for the late-campaign bump.

Yeah I’m looking at this as a second tier franchise from the BT behemoth (relatively speaking). Competently done campaign but not shooting the moon.

But I've gotten deep into it all the same, and I hope we reach $500k.  If we get close, I might be tempted to upgrade to Commander level.  It gives you roughly 5 fleets' worth of stuff without add-ons, if one or two fleets can make do with battlecruisers instead of battleships.

Indeed. I’m looking to grab at least one of the campaign boxes if we get to that point.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Suboptimal

• Private
« Reply #293 on: 10 August 2022, 15:43:30 »
Yes, the last 48 hours will likely be strong for new pledges, as that's when reminders get sent. There also tends to be a bump in pledge increases as people return to figure which unlocked extras they want to get. These mutually reinforce.

I agree that clear visualizations of pledge levels are extremely important, and I am confused by their absence. This was a weakness of previous campaigns, and I wish they would address it.

It's not clear which ships are in which boxes, which is also strange. There's also confusing language about new models vs new ships (i.e. repeated models with distinct cards). The campaign box unlocks are unexplained except for what seems obvious from the name.

It also feels like much of the explanation for new players is relegated to the comments. The update showing cards without any guidance as to how to interpret them seems like it might even be a net negative for acquiring new backers. These resources exist, but they aren't being put forward for people who aren't already aware of them.

I'm excited about this, but I am also frustrated by what seem like readily addressed shortcomings.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #294 on: 10 August 2022, 16:31:02 »
Based on what I've seen so far I'm personally projecting it will end up in the 400K - 450K range.  Should get around a 100k out of the final push at the end.  The mid campaign doldrums appear to have set in hard.

For a relatively obscure game that hasn't seen the light of day in a decade that's pretty darn good IMO.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #295 on: 12 August 2022, 11:11:08 »
Ok, folks were saying Leviathans the Great War was set for 1910 . . . but the fiction is set past that, and using 'the Great War' conjures WWI.  So will the campaigns 'start' after the fiction in Armored Skies?  The short story shared so far is set in 1914.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #296 on: 12 August 2022, 11:26:20 »
The original release was set in 1910 but the current Kickstarter campaign advances the timeline to 1914-1915 and the start of the Great War.  Everything related to the current release will proceed from there.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #297 on: 12 August 2022, 14:37:55 »
I asked in the discord, but can't see if someone answered:

When moving, how many times can you turn?  I thought you could turn as many times as you want (as long as you obey the MP requirements between turns) but the rules might be read as only turning once?

Thanks!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #298 on: 12 August 2022, 14:45:19 »
I asked in the discord, but can't see if someone answered:

When moving, how many times can you turn?  I thought you could turn as many times as you want (as long as you obey the MP requirements between turns) but the rules might be read as only turning once?

Thanks!

As many times as you have MP, so long as you meet the minimum move requirements.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
  • Carpe Arcanum Cibum
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #299 on: 12 August 2022, 15:25:31 »
The restriction that might be throwing you is that unless they sat still that turn, a ship can only change one hexside in a single hex.

So at the minimum, after you turn one hexside, you must move forward at least one hex before turning again. But you can keep repeating this process as often as you like, up to the limits of your MP.

Most ships end up having to move further than that because of higher turn ratings, but that's a different rule, and we have to stop somewhere before we quote the entire movement section.
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"It's just that the Hegemony had one answer to every naval problem. 'I kills it with my battleships.'" - Liam's Ghost
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Register