Register Register

Author Topic: NHL 2020-2021? Old Man Ovechkin edition  (Read 9135 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Re: NHL 2020-2021? Old Man Ovechkin edition
« Reply #180 on: 05 April 2021, 20:52:42 »
Hey there, Eric Staal!  Nice way to start your career as a Hab!

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • I like sausage
« Reply #181 on: 08 April 2021, 20:38:03 »
And Mac's throw was more of a lob. I could understand if he threw it with more oomph, but 10 minutes was a little bit ridiculous. Then again the Avs did just manage to squeak by 9-3.
Probably not the best idea though to toss a helmet at someone after less than a minute earlier jousting with them.  The memes were great though.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/hamonics-ordeal-shows-human-aspect-canucks-covid-19-pause/

Read to the part where it mentions what Gaudette's wife has been dealing with on social media and her comments about his current condition.
She's 100% right though people on-line annoyed that they can't watch hockey because players are sick are trash.  The lack of empathy is heart breaking.

Trade deadline stuff, Devils trade Palamari and Zajac to the Islanders for a first, a fourth, and 2 prospects.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #182 on: 08 April 2021, 23:02:08 »
She's 100% right though people on-line annoyed that they can't watch hockey because players are sick are trash.  The lack of empathy is heart breaking.

Basically the whole team is infected now--21 players and several members of the coaching staff are on the league's COVID list.  Wishing they all get through it well and nobody ends up hospitalized or with lingering symptoms.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #183 on: 09 April 2021, 13:44:45 »
Not as good as hearing directly from the players, but the Canucks' team doctor has given something of an update regarding their situation:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/a-very-human-situation-canucks-with-covid-19-experiencing-whole-range-of-symptoms-team-doctor-says-1.5381308

Cheers, Gabe

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #184 on: 09 April 2021, 19:41:20 »
Trade alert! Nemeth to the Avs for a 4th round pick in 2022.  Trade season is on in Detroit. 

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
    • Faith's Fanfic and Blog
« Reply #185 on: 10 April 2021, 20:01:38 »
Garden was awesome! Weird being so empty with covid protocol, they actually even had Todd Anguilly singing the anthem remotely from a fan's house (pre-recorded)
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

JadeHellbringer

• This Space Intentionally Left Blank
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • TurquoiseKitFox!
« Reply #186 on: 12 April 2021, 13:14:29 »
Garden was awesome! Weird being so empty with covid protocol, they actually even had Todd Anguilly singing the anthem remotely from a fan's house (pre-recorded)

My jealousy knows no bounds.

NONE.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #187 on: 12 April 2021, 14:43:51 »
Anthony Mantha to the Caps for 1st and 2nd rounders. Edit: Mantha for Vrana and Panik, as well as the picks.

Yzerman is putting on a clinic in how to build through the draft. 

And Mantha will be a good player if he can avoid injuries and be consistent in his approach night to night.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2021, 15:01:48 by rebs »

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #188 on: 12 April 2021, 15:41:43 »
Taylor Hall to the B's.

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #189 on: 12 April 2021, 21:04:37 »
Okay that really cool...  I have not been to hear him "live" yet, but I have heard Rene Rancourt more then once. 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • I like sausage
« Reply #190 on: 13 April 2021, 00:18:11 »
Anthony Mantha to the Caps for 1st and 2nd rounders. Edit: Mantha for Vrana and Panik, as well as the picks.
Until proven wrong, the Caps got fleeced.  GMBM gave up one more pick then he really should have in that deal.  I really can't fault giving up a number 1 pick out, but a first and second, nope.  This isn't an issue of course if he didn't sign Panik to that horrible deal though.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #191 on: 13 April 2021, 09:33:19 »
So rebs...what can you tell me about Jon Merrill?  Besides the fact that he’s got awesome ‘80s-style hair and mustache? 
Because he’ll be playing for the Habs in a bit more than a week.

Cheers,

Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • TurquoiseKitFox!
« Reply #192 on: 13 April 2021, 11:32:59 »
Until proven wrong, the Caps got fleeced.  GMBM gave up one more pick then he really should have in that deal.  I really can't fault giving up a number 1 pick out, but a first and second, nope.  This isn't an issue of course if he didn't sign Panik to that horrible deal though.

They definitely overpaid. Mantha is a good player, but not THAT good. Those picks are gonna hurt to lose. But, Mclellan may have e looked around and started sweating a bit- thebother three playoff teams in the East were busy, after all. The Islanders plicked their new stars from the Devils, the Beuins got their new second-line (I'll reserve my opinions on THAT...), and the Penguins sneakily improved with Carter. Did the Caps need to make a move? Probably not, and certainly a defenseman would have been much handier. The return here isn't bad, but it's a tough sell to lose two players AND two good picks for a guy who had roughly Vrana's output alone.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #193 on: 13 April 2021, 15:14:37 »
He doesn't stay healthy, and he's a space cadet some nights. 

But the serving size is small.  To be on a good team should also make a difference.   

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #194 on: 13 April 2021, 15:20:10 »
So rebs...what can you tell me about Jon Merrill?  Besides the fact that he’s got awesome ‘80s-style hair and mustache? 
Because he’ll be playing for the Habs in a bit more than a week.

Cheers,

Gabe

I don't know too much about him, other than we are probably making room for Yzerman's draftees.  Ken Holland drafted him.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • I like sausage
« Reply #195 on: 13 April 2021, 20:35:03 »
He doesn't stay healthy, and he's a space cadet some nights. 

But the serving size is small.  To be on a good team should also make a difference.

Well he seems motivated tonight.  1 G and 1 A with another good opportunity with 2 minutes left in the game.  Then again they are playing the Flyers who are in free fall right now.  Speaking of the Flyers, which happens first Vigneault gets fired or during the off season the Flyers trade off some of their under preforming vets?

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #196 on: 13 April 2021, 20:58:01 »
And Yzerman will wield those draft picks like enchanted blades.

Edit

Those were great highlights, though.  Mantha experiment looks like success.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2021, 00:00:36 by rebs »

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #197 on: 14 April 2021, 12:21:45 »
I don't know too much about him, other than we are probably making room for Yzerman's draftees.  Ken Holland drafted him.

He gave this online presser yesterday where he introduced himself to the Montreal sports media:
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/merrill-quarantining-in-edmonton-with-plans-to-join-habs-next-week~2161505

He was actually asked about the hair, I loved his reply.  I would say it extends to his whole appearance; I thought it was quite fetching that he looked like he was in full redneck mode.  ;D
(Don't what he's doing in Edmonton of all places, though.)

And somebody in the Habs' dressing room has already crossed paths with him; he was with Vegas during Tatar's brief stint there.

Hopefully he can be more effective on defence than Victor Mete was (placed on waivers and claimed by the Sens at the deadline).

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #198 on: 15 April 2021, 15:04:41 »
Finally, a Canucks player has spoken out about the team's COVID situation!

See what J.T. Miller had to say:

https://www.tsn.ca/friday-s-vancouver-canucks-edmonton-oilers-game-postponed-1.1624215

Long story short, he thinks they're being pushed back into action well before they're ready.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #199 on: 15 April 2021, 15:13:27 »
He might not be okay though.  It would be a comfort and it would make fans happy, but I can safely say dealing with nagging malady myself you have to take care of youself first and worry about what everyone else thinks or might want second.

Well, he's finally spoken to the media about his experience; seems he got off not too badly compared to many.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/canadiens-joel-armia-provides-details-covid-19-experience/

Unfortunately, he was a non-factor as the Habs again stunk out the joint vs. Calgary.

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #200 on: 15 April 2021, 19:54:15 »
Vrana nets his first as a Wing.  In his first game as one, too.

We're going to be happy on both sides of the trade.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • I like sausage
« Reply #201 on: 15 April 2021, 20:20:46 »
Vrana nets his first as a Wing.  In his first game as one, too.

We're going to be happy on both sides of the trade.
Just came in to say the same thing.  Vrana looks genuinely happy hasn't looked the same in months he in Washington.  Still we will miss him none the less.  Mantha scored again too which is the only bright part of this game against the Sabres at this point.

Finally, a Canucks player has spoken out about the team's COVID situation!

See what J.T. Miller had to say:

https://www.tsn.ca/friday-s-vancouver-canucks-edmonton-oilers-game-postponed-1.1624215

I'm with him.  I get it that it's a business but I don't think they should be playing this quickly after mostly being cleared either.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #202 on: 18 April 2021, 22:02:57 »
What a great ending to the story.

First game back after seeing almost the entire team laid low by COVID, and the Canucks beat the Leafs 3-2 in OT.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #203 on: 20 April 2021, 09:18:35 »
Hats off to Patrick Marleau, who passed Gordie Howe as the NHL's all-time leader for games played.

Now let's see if he can keep going as long as Jagr.  ;)

Cheers,

Gabe

Nibs

• Lieutenant
« Reply #204 on: 20 April 2021, 23:28:38 »
Hats off to Patrick Marleau, who passed Gordie Howe as the NHL's all-time leader for games played.

Now let's see if he can keep going as long as Jagr.  ;)

Cheers,

Gabe

I think that too many fans and media personalities obsess over the scoring statistics when playing 1,000 games in the NHL in a huge testament to their longevity, abilities, and dedication. For Patrick Marleau to accomplish this record speaks to his deserved place in the Hall of Fame.

At least, that is my opinion.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • TurquoiseKitFox!
« Reply #205 on: 22 April 2021, 17:43:49 »
If Marleau isn't put in the hall, they might as well tear it down and build a parking lot.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #206 on: 22 April 2021, 20:12:50 »
JVR scores for Philly on a deflection off his face.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #207 on: 22 April 2021, 22:43:01 »
JVR scores for Philly on a deflection off his face.

Um, ouch?

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #208 on: 23 April 2021, 00:03:52 »
Definitely ouch.  Yet he came back to the game and is credited with 2 goals.  Perhaps they awarded him 2 just for the face-assist.

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #209 on: 23 April 2021, 00:29:21 »
...then there's that Vrana kid.  Notched 4 goals tonight against Dallas in a 7 - 3 Wings victory. 

Last player to do that for Detroit was...  the cat he was just traded for, Anthony Mantha.   

Register