Register Register

Author Topic: NHL 2021-2022 Thread. Let's get Kraken!  (Read 5626 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
Re: NHL 2021-2022 Thread. Let's get Kraken!
« Reply #150 on: 19 September 2021, 23:47:38 »
Chara back on the Island where his career started.  If this is his last season it seems a fitting place for it.

He's going to be the first known test case for the NHL after gambling has been legalized in many states.  He was probably better off keeping his mouth shut until the NHL finishes its investigation.  His activity off the rink notable for all the wrong reasons and if proven he did bet on NHL games I'd expect we'll see a ban.

Poor guy.  If he had a problem before, he's really ****** now. 

I wanted at first to believe him, but sometimes people are just not smart.  I don't know what to think about it.

And of course, I was kidding about Chara above.  He's got to apply for social security in Slovakia, not the US.  >:D

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #151 on: 26 September 2021, 12:33:10 »
Big rule 4 situation going on with Bertuzzi.

He is a Canadian who is effectively not allowed to play hockey in Canada.

This is absurd.  Here's a link, instead of me ranting and possibly/probably breaking rule 4...

https://octopusthrower.com/2021/09/23/red-wings-yzerman-bertuzzi/amp/
« Last Edit: 26 September 2021, 15:16:58 by rebs »

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #152 on: 05 October 2021, 16:41:45 »
Red Wings should definitely be better this year.  Seider and Raymond should both be on this team, me thinks.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #153 on: 07 October 2021, 05:43:05 »
Man, Kane is a master of staying in the headlines.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #154 on: 07 October 2021, 10:12:15 »
I have to say, I did not see this coming:

https://www.tsn.ca/carey-price-montreal-canadiens-1.1703437

He is entering the league's player assistance program, for reasons that remain as of yet undisclosed.

Get well Carey...whatever it is.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #155 on: 07 October 2021, 10:42:29 »
I was just about to report it, too.  I hope it's just something minor, like he likes his smoke a little too much...
« Last Edit: 07 October 2021, 10:45:31 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • I like sausage
« Reply #156 on: 07 October 2021, 10:44:01 »

Yeah the newest alligation of what appears to be an illegal variety makes me wonder if the allegations are true does it give the Sharks enough ammo to terminate his contract with cause.

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 07 October 2021, 16:08:42 »
he needs to learn to get good press not bad
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • I like sausage
« Reply #158 on: 07 October 2021, 17:13:10 »
he needs to learn to get good press not bad
I don't think that is immediately possible at this point and perhaps if at all in the years to come.  He just seems to get in trouble, mostly off ice, anywhere he plays and that's largely on him.

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #159 on: 11 October 2021, 18:55:46 »
Sweet!  Raymond and Seider both made the opening night roster!

We may not be much better this year, but the Wings are on their way.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #160 on: 12 October 2021, 07:39:24 »
Oh look, ESPN has a power rankings preview thing. With bold predictions. Bold prediction for my favorite team: They fire their coach. Bold prediction for my second favorite team: They fire their coach.

Ugh.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

JadeHellbringer

• This Space Intentionally Left Blank
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • TurquoiseKitFox!
« Reply #161 on: 12 October 2021, 09:43:35 »
Bold prediction: Jeremy Swayman is the starting goalie of the Boston Bruins before Christmas.

BoldER prediction: Linus Ulmark is keel-hauled by Don Sweeney and Cam Neely under the USS Constitution.

(Seriously, I know it was preseason, and one shouldn't knee-jerk respond to anything, but... holy crap, that was a disaster of a preseason run for Ulmark. And that was against other teams' players who were trying to prove they deserved roster spots! AHL guys and old vets on the chopping block- if he struggled like that against those guys, what happens when he gets thrown into facing Auston Matthews and Alex Ovechkin?)

"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #162 on: 12 October 2021, 10:18:07 »
Not So Bold Prediction:  at the end of this year they actually fire (or rather, not extend) Blashhill, even though it's not out of anger, he's just a place holder until the Wings can attract a good head coach.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2021, 11:27:39 by rebs »

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #163 on: 12 October 2021, 18:43:11 »
The Habs didn't want to show Jesperi Kotkaniemi the money, but they sure showed it to Nick Suzuki:

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-nick-suzuki-eight-year-63-million-contract-extension-1.1705359

Wonder how this will colour the Sens' ongoing negotiations with Darth Brady.

Cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #164 on: 12 October 2021, 22:06:11 »
Well, I absolutely hate ESPN's cable cam. I unfortunately don't have an opinion on their commentary because I was watching the game at one of my go-to watering holes and some jagoff insisted on playing the jukebox pretty much the entire game!

That being said, this was definitely not the game I expected to see. I expected to see what was left of Pittsburgh to get their asses handed to them. And let's just disregard the silliness that insued when the Bolts pulled Vasilevskiy with over five minutes left to p!ay!

Did the Bolts know there was actually a game going to be played tonight?

I have spoken.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • I like sausage
« Reply #165 on: 14 October 2021, 01:45:09 »
Hendrix lapierre punches in his first nhl and ovi and Kuzy hooked for a short handed Talley.  That last line should summarize all to well how the Rangers played tonight

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #166 on: 14 October 2021, 10:14:17 »
Definitely not the start I wanted to see from the Habs.  True, it wasn't a terrible loss, but it's starting the season on the wrong foot.  That new top line had better wake up soon and the loss of Weber and Edmundson on defense really shows.

Meanwhile,  Mark Scheifele sat and watched his team lose to the Ducks.  That's the final game of his suspension for his vicious hit on Jake Evans (Habs fans have not forgotten!) and the Jets lost all four of them.  Perhaps there's something to that.

Cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #167 on: 14 October 2021, 10:30:09 »
Meanwhile,  Mark Scheifele sat and watched his team lose to the Ducks.  That's the final game of his suspension for his vicious hit on Jake Evans (Habs fans have not forgotten!) and the Jets lost all four of them.  Perhaps there's something to that.

Cheers,

Gabe

The shame of it all is Scheifele was considered kind of a classy player before he made that bonehead Bertuzzi-esque hit.  Got to make better decisions than that, especially if you are considered to be one of the leaders of your team.

I don't blame you or other Habs fans one iota for holding him to the fire about it.  I hope to see a revenge fight because somehow four games was really not enough, even if the Jets did lose them all without him.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • I like sausage
« Reply #168 on: 14 October 2021, 18:25:09 »
Bold prediction: Jeremy Swayman is the starting goalie of the Boston Bruins before Christmas.
I feel fairly confident that he will be removed from the starting job no later than Thanksgiving.  It's a toss up but this might be a worse contract that the last two Jack Johnson was given.

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #169 on: 14 October 2021, 22:02:13 »
Quite a barn burner tonight in Detroit!  Too bad we lost, because Tyler Bertuzzi blasted 4 goals,  including a hat trick in the 2nd.  I caught most of the third period and OT at a bar and grill in Chicago, wish I could have seen it all. 

Damnit, now I have to dis on Todd Bertuzzi for being a bonehead before every home game!  :D

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #170 on: 15 October 2021, 02:53:46 »
Former Ken Holland draft pick defenseman Dennis Chowlowski, AKA Cholo, was picked up off waivers by...
By...
Da Caps!

This is where bad Ken Holland picks go to die, apparently.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • I like sausage
« Reply #171 on: 15 October 2021, 10:12:06 »
Low risk signing of a player that hasn't played up to expectations that can be kept or gotten rid of at the drop of a hat through waivers.  I bet he plays 2 games tops for the Caps.

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #172 on: 15 October 2021, 10:15:39 »
He has offensive potential, for sure.  But as you said, he did not live up to the expectations set for him.  I still hope he gets ahold of himself and can at least keep a third pairing position.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • I like sausage
« Reply #173 on: 16 October 2021, 18:15:12 »
Swayman on ice tonight as the starter over Ullmark.  Didn't take all that long at all.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #174 on: 16 October 2021, 19:10:45 »
Swayman on ice tonight as the starter over Ullmark.  Didn't take all that long at all.

I think Billy Jaffy and Andrew Raycroft summed it up pretty well on their podcast Morning Bru

Ullmark has about a thousand things going on right now getting used to a new city, getting his family sorted, now the season is starting and the Bruins have had a bit of a break before the start of the season I think he'll settle in well

Just to make everyone happy the first Bruins goalnof goal of from year is a penalty shot from Brad Marchand

Former Bruin Danton Heinan has scored 3 in 3 games for the Penguins interesting start to the year
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #175 on: 16 October 2021, 21:34:58 »
Wings beat the Canucks 3 to 1.  Looks like it was a good one.  Wish I could have watched it.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #176 on: 16 October 2021, 23:11:46 »
Well, um...

This is not the start to the season I had envisioned for the Habs.

It's only 3 games in, but somehow, it already feels like it's time to panic.

No wins.  Not even any loser points.  A grand total of 3 goals, 2 by the same player (at least Jonathan Drouin looks like he has his mojo back).  Only one line that looks like it's clicking (Josh Anderson--Dvorak--Drouin).  Nothing from Suzuki and Caufield, who just seem to get lots of good looks, but not more than that.  Toffoli looks like he can barely skate.  Same for newcomer David Savard--no Weber-lite, but another Jordie Benn.  Jake Evans? Not ready to take over from Danault as the shutdown centre, and he may never be. And Mathieu Perreault and Cedric Paquette << Corey Perry and Eric Staal.

Yes, I know there was more turnover than expected, but it's like the team left its soul on the ice in Tampa.  That run to the finals is already starting to seem like a distant dream.
OTOH, maybe this is karmic justice for drafting Logan Mailloux.

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #177 on: 17 October 2021, 22:18:43 »
You know I feel your pain, Gabe. 

I remember freaking out on the NHL thread many years ago about how the Red Wings were (and did) devolve into a feeder team that other actual good teams feast upon.  People tried to reassure me the a team with Zetterberg and Datsyuk couldn't be bad, and I was needlessly cracking up from anxiety. 

Well, they were right.   And I was also right. 

After Z and Pavs were gone, we sucked pretty bad, to be bluntly honest. 

Ask Hellbie.  He was the one trying to reassure me!

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #178 on: 18 October 2021, 21:26:40 »
Ask Hellbie.  He was the one trying to reassure me!
taking comfort from Hellbie was that wise?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

rebs

• Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #179 on: 18 October 2021, 21:35:56 »
taking comfort from Hellbie was that wise?
I'm a poker player.  If he was shitting me, I'd smell it!

Well, he was right.  With Zetterberg and Datsyuk as one-two centers, we were still fairly good.

Thing is, two years later, and both were gone.