Register Register

Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023 Thread: Pourin' Like An Avalanche Comin' Down The Mountain  (Read 7850 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
On a personal note: I finally kicked cigarettes to the curb this March, and renewed my vow to not smoke anything ever again, after about 30 years of habit.

Cold turkey; no patches, gum, vapes, cigars or chew. 

Every time I had an urge to smoke, I stepped outside and walked a mile.  The urges are 90% gone, but I'm walking 2 to 6 miles a day still, a habit I will keep up for as long as the winter allows me this year.

I literally walked off smoking!   :D :D :D
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Welldone
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
Congratulations on kicking death sticks!

I went cold turkey as well when I quit in the early 90s.

I also put on 30 pounds in the following 6 months.    :-[

Thank you!

I have always been hyper skinny due to ultra high metabolism for most of my life,  But now that I'm 46, I think that's changed.  I'm up 30 pounds as well over my old weight.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Welldone

Thanks, Doc Agren

Nicely done!

Thanks, Dragon Cat!

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
What is the most effective way to counter a 1-3-1 trapping formation? (Seriously, I'm askiyout of interest here)

Because whatever it is, somebody needs to communicate it to Martin St. Louis.  For all the good he's done since taking over behind the Habs' bench, he seems unable to get to grips with teams that are good at playing the trap.

Cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
What is the most effective way to counter a 1-3-1 trapping formation? (Seriously, I'm askiyout of interest here)

Because whatever it is, somebody needs to communicate it to Martin St. Louis.

St Louis knows how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VV1PrbkK3E

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
Jaromir Jagr update:

Jagr forced to play due to illness in a game with the franchise he owns, Kladno.  His enshrinement for the HHOF pushed back until at least 2026.  On the plus side it looks like he could potentially be inducted now with Chara.

gyedid

• Captain
St Louis knows how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VV1PrbkK3E

He ought to remember that game...things like that aren't soon forgotten!

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
He ought to remember that game...things like that aren't soon forgotten!

Even as best as we try our best to forget.  But there isn't enough bleach available to cleanse that view from my eyes.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
The Great 8 is in the home stretch.  800 down in the books.  For one night the greatness of Charles takes a backseat for Ovi.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Huh, my son earned two tickets to a Red Wings game for selling popcorn for the cub scouts. We'll either get them for a Wings/Flyers game in January or Wings/Lightning game in February, the day after his birthday.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
The Great 8 is in the home stretch.  800 down in the books.  For one night the greatness of Charles takes a backseat for Ovi.
And the NHL put together a montage of all 800 goals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU2y-t9-u1U
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
Happy for Ovi, it's good to celebrate other's successes.

But will anyone ever get more total points that Gretzky's giant-ass pile of assists???

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
Happy for Ovi, it's good to celebrate other's successes.

But will anyone ever get more total points that Gretzky's giant-ass pile of assists???

The only current player that I have any thought could catch that record would be McDavid.  Even still quite a bit has to go right for him and play into his 40s.  No substantial injury or illness and the ability for the team around him to be a least slightly above average.

gyedid

• Captain
How is it that the Habs are so good at making bad teams--even the currently worst in the league--look good?  >:(

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
The only current player that I have any thought could catch that record would be McDavid.  Even still quite a bit has to go right for him and play into his 40s.  No substantial injury or illness and the ability for the team around him to be a least slightly above average.

That's fair. 

Gretz's 50 goals in 39 games is amazing and likely untouchable (unless officials decide to "allow" some player to beat it, and said player has enough skill to make a go of it, and has a stacked dream team to play with every night), but his assist record is technically more impressive, especially considering no one in NHL history even has as many or more total points as his assists tally. 

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
Huh, my son earned two tickets to a Red Wings game for selling popcorn for the cub scouts. We'll either get them for a Wings/Flyers game in January or Wings/Lightning game in February, the day after his birthday.
Grats.  I'll cross my fingers it's against the Bolts rather than against the Flyers.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
That's fair. 

Gretz's 50 goals in 39 games is amazing and likely untouchable (unless officials decide to "allow" some player to beat it, and said player has enough skill to make a go of it, and has a stacked dream team to play with every night), but his assist record is technically more impressive, especially considering no one in NHL history even has as many or more total points as his assists tally.

I think that record would be more likely to fall when compared to his career assists. The guy to do it, if it happens, is Austin Matthews.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
I think that record would be more likely to fall when compared to his career assists. The guy to do it, if it happens, is Austin Matthews.

Austin could do it, I won't argue against it.

But he needs:

A Ref Shield like Gretzky had
Stacked supporting cast
No injuries to slow him down in the midst of a strong run
Good Luck and the Wind at His Back

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
I think his window to pull it off is in the next two seasons.  After that him and his current running mates all go UFA which drastically decreased the chances of it happening when Toronto can't re-sign one of them due to cap space.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
The Pain!

Wings went on a six game skid.  But then they broke said skid by beating up on the Bolts!  Great game, fellas! 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
Starting the new year off right (before it begins), I donated blood today.

The guy sitting across from me in the waiting area was wearing a Boston Bruins t shirt. 

While his fashion sense may be questionable, it does show that we simply love hockey around here, no questions asked.

gyedid

• Captain
I think his window to pull it off is in the next two seasons.  After that him and his current running mates all go UFA which drastically decreased the chances of it happening when Toronto can't re-sign one of them due to cap space.

Meanwhile. nobody commented on Ovie passing Gordie Howe for second-most goals all-time.

Will the Russian Machine not break until he passes Gretzky?  He's on the wrong side of 35...

cheers,

Gabe

Charlie 6

• Captain
Meanwhile. nobody commented on Ovie passing Gordie Howe for second-most goals all-time.

Will the Russian Machine not break until he passes Gretzky?  He's on the wrong side of 35...

cheers,

Gabe
I think he heard you.  He's got a hat trick tonight.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
Two years ago, Ovi passing Gretz was against the odds.

To paraphrase Han Solo, "Never tell Ovi the odds".

He's going to get it by shear force of will.  I would not have bet on it prior to this season, but now it looks inevitable.

I just hope he doesn't pull a Mike Gartner and get bogged down in the final 10 or 20 goals by injury and age catching up to him.  Would tarnish the achievement a bit.  But only a bit.

JadeHellbringer

• Research Dept. Head, Vault-Tec Intl.
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Knock knock!!!
With the calendar flipping, let's see if Hellbie had any idea what the hell he was talking about, shall we?

+Avs repeat as Cup champions, assuming they keep Kuemper in net (the free agency pool for goalies is... not kind, so Kuemper or bust)
OK,ok, so maaaybe they found a way around Kuemper leaving for Washington. And you know what? Georgiev has been rock solid most nights. I'm not as confident in them winning it all again right now- it'll depend on whether they can get healthy by springtime. But outside of maybe Washington, no team has been hit harder by the IR-bug, and when the Avs can start getting their full roster on the ice again, this is still a very, very good team. I'll eat crow on Kuemper, but I still think the rest of the prediction is plausible at least.

+The East undergoes a significant upheaval, with the Penguins, Bruins, and Capitals all sliding out of the playoff picture- one of them might make a low spot, but none of them have open windows anymore.
Huh... well, let's see here. The Penguins have been wildly inconsistent, but have at least shaken off that early bad start to stay relevant, and I'd pencil them for a playoff spot most likely- they're in a wild card spot right now, and I don't see them sliding. The Capitals, like the Avs, have been mauled by injuries to everyone not named Ovechkin, and while they're on the bubble right now I think they'll right the ship more as people return to the ice.

Aaaaand that leaves Boston, which... find me anyone who thought the Bruins would be this good- particularly starting the year without some of their most important players. Anyone? Bueller? Yeah, I got that wrong, but there's not a fan out there who got this right either.

+Watch for a big Islanders bounce-back from a bad year.
...kinda? I mean they're on the playoff bubble- if the playoffs started today, Jan.1, they'd be a wild card. But I admit, I assumed we'd see better than this, particularly with the above prediction seemingly opening the door for them, this genuinely baffles me. There's too much talent to be this 'eh', I'm expecting a move at the deadline to try to fix things for them.

+Watch for a big step forward for the Canucks.
...into a vat of acid, apparently. Same as the Islanders but even more surprising, there's a lot of talent on this roster- seeing them get pooched night after night is very confusing. The West doesn't have a lot of really great teams, and they're only six points out of a playoff spot as of now, but... despite the West not having great teams they're still six points out. Players want out, the coaching hot seat looks like a Supernova after an alpha-strike... I really don't get this one- or how to fix it at this point beyond blowing it all up and starting over AGAIN.

+Watch for Vegas to do something desperate to fix the cap mess.
Kinda? Their cap is still ugly, but they're back to their 2021 dominant look with surprising results from the spot they seemed weakest at- their net. The news that Lehner would miss the season seemed almost comical after the way the team ran Fleury out of town, but to his credit Logan Thompson has gone from 'who?' to 'HIM' status in no time flat. We also got an answer to the question 'is Jack Eichel any good?', and that answer is 'yyyyep'. With Colorado struggling, Vegas is looking like the team to beat in the West... for now, at least.

+Arizona is STILL going to struggle to sell out their arena most nights.
OK, so hear me out. That arena is kinda fun actually, so long as you keep your digits safe from visiting Bruins fans. Tiny, yes, but fun. And the team has had a little bit of spirit to show for it- not a lot of WINS, but they're a tough opponent most nights. The lure of seeing this weird arena has helped put butts in seats- whether that will continue down the stretch as the novelty wears off and the Coyotes fade further and further from the playoff picture seems unlikely, but kudos so far for making this seeming train wreck work reasonably so far.

+Buffalo is better than they have been in years- outside the net. Fix that, and we might have an interesting team there.
Got THIS one... mostly. That's a very interesting team developing in upstate NY right now, with a monster defenseman on the rise in Owen Power, Tage Thompson having a breakout year, it all seems very positive for the Sabres for the first time in ages. Their reward is... to be six points out of a playoff spot, like the Canucks- but with a lot tougher of a road to climb to get into the playoff picture. Same as with the Isles, the apparent decline of some of the Eastern powerhouses seemed to open the door a bit for the rise of new ones, and Buffalo seemed like as solid of a choice as any- so far though, the fun and talented roster isn't resulting in as many wins as they'd like. This is a work in progress- I really like what I see, but they need more consistency.

So, yeah, not great so far, eh? We've had some big surprises that skewed things everywhere- none more so than the Bruins, who should have been treading water and desperately trying to stay alive until getting people back in late December and early January. Instead, the big three IR guys (Marchand, Grzelcyk, and MacAvoy) returned earlier than expected (methinks their training staff fibbed a little about timetables), Bergeron drank from the fountain of youth, guys like Hall and Lindholm stepped up big, and Linus Ulmark turned into a clone of Dominik Hasek. While we sit here nursing New Years hangovers, Boston still hasn't lost a game in regulation at home this season- that's absolutely bonkers.

So, let's update again at the end of the season, but for now... this league is just full of the unexpected.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
The Bruins have that aura around them that very little can go wrong and they are going to win every time they take the ice.  Thinking '94 Rangers vibes.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Two years ago, Ovi passing Gretz was against the odds.

To paraphrase Han Solo, "Never tell Ovi the odds".

He's going to get it by shear force of will.  I would not have bet on it prior to this season, but now it looks inevitable.

I just hope he doesn't pull a Mike Gartner and get bogged down in the final 10 or 20 goals by injury and age catching up to him.  Would tarnish the achievement a bit.  But only a bit.
Lockouts, some Covid-like shortened season, and injury are the only things that will prevent Ovie from passing Gretzky's goals record. Ovie's at 28 goals in 40 games this season, which would be 57 for an 82-game season. Even if he only matches last season's total of 50 goals, that's another 22, bringing him up to 830 overall and 64 short of tying Gretzky. Ovie's two worst totals for a "full" season were 32 in 2010-11 and 33 in 2019-20. Even if he just matches those numbers he'll pass Gretzky.

Like I said, lockouts, a shortened season, and injury are all that will keep him at #2.

The Bruins have that aura around them that very little can go wrong and they are going to win every time they take the ice.  Thinking '94 Rangers vibes.
That doesn't always work so well for teams in the playoffs. It did for that Rangers team, but there's always examples of the teams that seemed to ease through struggling mightily in the playoffs.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So

It also feels like the Covid paused season a couple of years ago regular season Bruins ran away with it then there was a pause and then behind closed doors Playoffs and it looked like a different team

Hopefully momentum stays with them, the Winter Classic was a good indicator of the team mentality -keep going play the full 60 rarely do you see them resting on laurels like they did under cassidy and lose the last minute goal
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
Vrana on waivers! 

And it seems mutual bad feelings are present as Vrana went and removed all mentions of the Red Wings from his social media pages.

I wish him the best.  Another case of a guy needing assistance.  But then again, with his salary and question marks combined, he seems likely to pass waivers and go back to Grand Rapids for a while. 

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
He appears to have passed through unclaimed.  Hopefully he is able to get over whatever obstacles have been maligning him and he can find his way back to the NHL.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Charles in Charge
That doesn't always work so well for teams in the playoffs. It did for that Rangers team, but there's always examples of the teams that seemed to ease through struggling mightily in the playoffs.
I generally agree that is often the case.  You only have to look back and recent history when the Blue Jackets upset the Bolts in the playoffs or Halak and the rest of the Habs played out of their mind and upset the Caps.  The Bruins have been for most of the season top 5 at in Goals For, Against, and PK.  Their PP could use some work because they are only 6th in the league.  Rangers back in 94 top 4 across the board.

Nothing is written in stone until they hoist a cup, but I'm fairly comfortable baring an injury bug they can go all the way or deep.  Carolina is the only team in the conference that I believe that can give them any sort of competition in the playoffs and that is assuming they have an NHL quality tender come playoff time.

Register