Register Register

Author Topic: Predator 5  (Read 2335 times)

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: Predator 5
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2022, 15:18:05 »
Interesting since I feel the same about cable and network television.  I only watch streaming services. Had it up to my eyeballs with cable years ago.

Though most of these movies will end up on DVD eventually just like a theatrical release.
The problem is that streaming has quickly been becoming cable all over again.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2022, 15:43:25 »
The problem is that streaming has quickly been becoming cable all over again.

I have noticed that.  OTOH, it's pretty easy to sign up for a service for a month then cancel.  Sign up for another service for a month then cancel.  There really isn't a reason to keep a streaming service all the time. 

The studios will have to realize at some point they can't all have their own streaming services.  It's one thing to sign up for 3-4 streaming services but no one wants to have 7-8 or more.  It's just stupid.  It may take some time for them to figure it out though.  Studio execs don't always strike me as overly bright.  Greedy but not bright.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #32 on: 12 August 2022, 18:27:23 »
Interesting since I feel the same about cable and network television.  I only watch streaming services. Had it up to my eyeballs with cable years ago.

I absolutely agree. When I had cable I realized that I was paying $100 for absolutely crap. Now I have more control over my viewing content, & pay A LOT less. I have never looked back.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #33 on: 12 August 2022, 21:41:03 »
I have noticed that.  OTOH, it's pretty easy to sign up for a service for a month then cancel.  Sign up for another service for a month then cancel.  There really isn't a reason to keep a streaming service all the time. 

The studios will have to realize at some point they can't all have their own streaming services.  It's one thing to sign up for 3-4 streaming services but no one wants to have 7-8 or more.  It's just stupid.  It may take some time for them to figure it out though.  Studio execs don't always strike me as overly bright.  Greedy but not bright.

I managed to keep NetFlix on for YEARS after I first got it.
It wasn't always packed w/ stuff I wanted to watch, but, it usually wasn't too long before something new dropped.

Hulu, Amazon, Disney,  Agreed, I do them for 30/60 days & then cancel.

I stopped Netflix for the first time this summer for the last couple months to catch up on all the SW/Marvel Disney stuff w/ a combo of Hulu/Disney for 2 months.

Now, I'm back on Netflix & half a dozen things that dropped while I was away.

I wouldn't mind paying for something like Disney for longer but they are just TOO slow in putting out new content, or, at least, new content that I want to see.

Some of the channels only pop 1 episode a week like regular TV & once I've caught up on those, then, bah, its boring waiting for a week after you see 1 new show.
I don't even watch that much TV but when I take a night to chillax & couch it, I want at least 1-2 episodes of SOMETHING to watch that I will like.
Sadly, Disney can't offer me that by itself.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #34 on: 12 August 2022, 21:44:57 »
Streaming services switching over to 1 episode/week formats as if they were cable is one of the worst trends that has happened in recent years.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #35 on: 12 August 2022, 21:54:50 »
Streaming services switching over to 1 episode/week formats as if they were cable is one of the worst trends that has happened in recent years.
Agreed.
I'm not into streaming an entire season in 2 days either, but, I like to spend a couple weeks doing like 1 show every 1-2 nights & then a couple more on the weekends.
Its a good pace that is way faster than Network & avoids some of the binge & burnout cycle.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #36 on: 12 August 2022, 23:01:11 »
Agreed.
I'm not into streaming an entire season in 2 days either, but, I like to spend a couple weeks doing like 1 show every 1-2 nights & then a couple more on the weekends.
Its a good pace that is way faster than Network & avoids some of the binge & burnout cycle.

I myself tend to wait until it's all available.  I don't always go on absolute binges but doing a few episodes at a time does tend to happen.

But back to the OT:

Overall I agree with the Critical Drinker on this.  It's got some rule 4 elements to it for sure that I cannot elaborate on further for obvious reasons but despite that it wasn't terrible.

I also tend to agree the tech advantage still seems like easy mode and I am starting to wonder how this species managed to develop practical interstellar travel with how stupid they seem to be.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #37 on: 12 August 2022, 23:18:15 »
Think how big game hunters in the 19th century seemed to the lions...  ^-^

BirdDog

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 13 August 2022, 00:12:02 »
Did get around to watching it, and really enjoyed it!  Loved the Predator 2 reference.

TBH I think the only thing that confused me (and it's probably not so much "confusion" as just not having enough info yet...gotta wait for the sequel)

So the pistol Naru has is the same one the head Predator has in Predator 2 - so they get it at some point as a trophy.  Makes sense that something happens to the tribe, since you'd think "hey look at this freakish monster we killed" would be in their history somewhere otherwise.  What I was referring to above though, is *why* the Predators would send three ships after the tribe, if their hunter was killed in a fair fight.  They haven't really been the type to be portrayed as seeking vengeance for a slain hunter, that's the risk of the hunt.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
  • and let slip the dogs of war
« Reply #39 on: 15 August 2022, 13:05:25 »
Finally got to view this one Saturday. I thought it was pretty darn fantastic, actually. Best Predator feature since the original IMO.

My only minor gripe: I thought the Predator head design looked pretty goofy once his mask got shot-off. I'm not really sure why they completely changed the eye socket and forehead design? Maybe to better fit under the primitive skull mask? I thought the super Predator and some of the other new designs looked silly, too. They got the proportions absolutely perfect in the first film. THey should just leave well enough alone, here... Anyway, minor complaint, as I loved the film otherwise.
"We ask not your counsels or arms..."

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #40 on: 15 August 2022, 13:16:29 »

Mostly I just wait for them to be done before I start watching.  I did that with a number of Disney+ shows like Obi Wan Kenobi and the Mandalorian.  Also been meaning to go watch the Boys season 3 now that the season is done. 

BirdDog

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 15 August 2022, 14:05:58 »
Finally got to view this one Saturday. I thought it was pretty darn fantastic, actually. Best Predator feature since the original IMO.

My only minor gripe: I thought the Predator head design looked pretty goofy once his mask got shot-off. I'm not really sure why they completely changed the eye socket and forehead design? Maybe to better fit under the primitive skull mask? I thought the super Predator and some of the other new designs looked silly, too. They got the proportions absolutely perfect in the first film. THey should just leave well enough alone, here... Anyway, minor complaint, as I loved the film otherwise.

I agree, I wasn't a fan.  I did read an interview with the director that said he thought that as great as previous Predators were, he couldn't see them as truly alien, and always saw them move "like a professional wrestler in a suit", and wanted his to feel really different. I agree that it looked off to me, so I preferred when it kept the mask on (which I actually really liked.  I love that bone/tech fusion look in general)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • Keep your friends close, and your vodka closer
    • My personal blog (BattleTech fiction, original fiction, SF book and movie reviews)
« Reply #42 on: 15 August 2022, 21:12:51 »
Huh, over here it's on D+ via their deal with Starz.

It was a lot better than I expected, a small-scale, simple and straightforward story that honestly was probably better suited to streaming or home release than a theater. It's very stripped down in terms of both storytelling and technology, but then the whole point of the first one with Arnie was that frickin' handheld artillery still didn't do any good so he had to use his smarts.

One question for bow users or those otherwise archerly enriched: Is the draw shown in the movie (palm out, thumb down, arrow against the inside of the stave) accurate and/or useful? Or just a cool move they put in there?

Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4) and "Undefeated" (Shrapnel #10)
BattleTech stories:
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Mynameisdoubleg/works?fandom_id=51921204
Reviews:
https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.jp/

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #43 on: 15 August 2022, 22:39:58 »
Not an expert but from what I know, it can be done that way but probably realistically wouldn't.  At least to me it looks like it would actually be harder to draw back a bow of any useful poundage and shoot accurately but wouldn't say impossible.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 16 August 2022, 09:19:57 »
I agree with the others. Seems interesting, but why would a super high tech Predator want to go up against primitive prey like that? Is he some sort of a rookie and wants to use easy mode or something?

If I was ever in charge of the franchise I'd make it about a Predator who gets stripped of his equipment and is forced to fight against high tech humans for a change.
Kinda like what happened in The Predator? :brew:

We are nearly a month out but I'll keep the spoilers on.
I agree that they should stop trying to make a new species/sub-species for for every movie. That's kind of annoying.  And while I'm not wild about this new design, I think its probably the best one we've seen in a VERY long time. There is a really good video that goes into some of the choices which make the predator's face and mouth in particular look so wrong in a lot of the later stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNiLv8wBJX4 
I really like that the Feral did something reasonable with the mouth.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: 16 August 2022, 12:50:21 »
If you want a different experience, the movie (at least on Disney+ in Europe) is available in a Commanche-dubbed version, instead of the natives speaking english.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
  • and let slip the dogs of war
« Reply #46 on: 16 August 2022, 16:28:07 »
There is a really good video that goes into some of the choices which make the predator's face and mouth in particular look so wrong in a lot of the later stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNiLv8wBJX4

YES!!... this guy gets it!

Perfect.
"We ask not your counsels or arms..."

JureSimich

• Recruit
« Reply #47 on: 18 August 2022, 12:29:37 »
I must say that I personally feel no need for the Predators to ever take off those super cool helmets anyway...