Register Register

Author Topic: So I'm Moving to Florida - By Boat  (Read 17927 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: So I'm Moving to Florida - By Boat
« Reply #210 on: 14 November 2021, 17:48:54 »
'Tis the season... no worries!  :thumbsup:

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #211 on: 14 November 2021, 20:09:12 »
some things I have been watching intermittently on discovery are:
homestead rescue
building off grid
and the moonshiners, moonshiners master distillers

and frankly the moonshiners show is right up there with the street racers show for doing/being stupid

with that said the moonshiners are in kentucky/Tennessee areas but often back up in the hills /woods

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #212 on: 14 November 2021, 20:25:26 »
Yep, we're going straight north to south in western Tennessee.   Not so many moonshiners here.  Eastern Tennessee is where the moonshine flows like spring water...
« Last Edit: 14 November 2021, 20:27:30 by rebs »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #213 on: 15 November 2021, 18:08:30 »
Stopped for the night at Cuba Landing marina on the Tennessee River.   Nice place!

Earlier, we passed this old grain elevator just sticking up out of the middle of Lake Kentucky. It was flooded out in 1944 when the lake was filled in behind the dam.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #214 on: 15 November 2021, 19:43:17 »
I suppose cost-benefit calculations were a little different back then...

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #215 on: 15 November 2021, 20:22:00 »
Who knows how old the building was before it was flooded.  But, yeah, old infrastructure was sacrificed for new.  All day we pass right over spots labeled on our charts that say things like "flooded bridge", or "flooded roadway", etc.  It's a whole world flooded under this lake.

Anyway, here's a shot of the front end of the marina we're staying at tonight.  The trees are in full autumnal glory.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #216 on: 15 November 2021, 20:25:55 »
Glory indeed!  8)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #217 on: 16 November 2021, 16:45:36 »
Stopped for the night in Clifton, Tennessee.   Little city marina, but the restaurant is said to be nice.  I'm all for that.

Check out these rocky bluffs from earlier in the day.  When we motored past them, the depth finder went from 35 feet deep to over 70.  The power of flowing water and time is truly amazing.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2021, 21:19:50 by rebs »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #218 on: 16 November 2021, 16:50:08 »
How are you going to Florida? You're not taking Mississippi right?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #219 on: 16 November 2021, 17:00:48 »
How are you going to Florida? You're not taking Mississippi right?

We're on the Tennessee River.   In two days we will turn off on a canal that leads through north eastern Mississippi, then through central Alabama,  then to the Mobile River which goes south to the Gulf of Mexico.

It sounds difficult,  but there is plenty of fuel along the way.  On the Mississippi River,  there is no diesel fuel stop between Memphis and New Orleans.

Besides.  This way is prettier.  Check out the lighthouse.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2021, 21:20:58 by rebs »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #220 on: 16 November 2021, 20:46:13 »
Sweet pic, that!  :thumbsup:

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #221 on: 16 November 2021, 21:16:27 »
Thanks, man.  All my pics are taken with my cellphone, believe it or not.

Anyway, here's a website for the Waterway we are taking.  It's a US Army Corps of Engineers web page.  Check it out.  It will explain everything.

https://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Recreation/Tennessee-Tombigbee-Waterway/

« Last Edit: 17 November 2021, 07:43:16 by rebs »

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #222 on: 17 November 2021, 03:41:58 »
This is seriously a once in a lifetime experience Rebs, glad you are making the most of it.

I can almost feel the boat rocking underneath me.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #223 on: 17 November 2021, 04:34:42 »
Thanks for the map!  :thumbsup:

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #224 on: 17 November 2021, 18:49:38 »
Made it to Pickwick Lake.  Had to fight a nasty current for five hours before the huge dam and hydroelectric plant.

We're anchored out at Pickwick Landing and State Park, about to eat dinner.

Here's a shot of the sunset over the dam and highway that passes over it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #225 on: 17 November 2021, 19:40:17 »
Another gorgeous shot!  :thumbsup:

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #226 on: 18 November 2021, 03:50:27 »
Glorious!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #227 on: 18 November 2021, 07:04:08 »
I'm glad the waterway exists so you can do it.  Doesn't sound like the Mississippi is really friendly casual sailing/cruising.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #228 on: 18 November 2021, 09:41:25 »
Thanks, everyone!  We're taking it slow this morning, about to head for Grand View Harbor Marina.  On the map above its right where the red dotted line intersects the Tennessee River.   We're just 9 miles away from it, so today will be easy peasy. 

And yes, Wrangler, this way is much more friendly for travelers like us.  The Mississippi is mostly for commercial traffic.  But if you have a gasoline powered craft (with a big gas tank), it is good for that.  Just no diesel, so it's not an option.

There were places that sold diesel on it, but they were destroyed recently in floods and storms.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #229 on: 18 November 2021, 18:01:05 »
Thanks, everyone!  We're taking it slow this morning, about to head for Grand View Harbor Marina.  On the map above its right where the red dotted line intersects the Tennessee River.   We're just 9 miles away from it, so today will be easy peasy. 

And yes, Wrangler, this way is much more friendly for travelers like us.  The Mississippi is mostly for commercial traffic.  But if you have a gasoline powered craft (with a big gas tank), it is good for that.  Just no diesel, so it's not an option.

There were places that sold diesel on it, but they were destroyed recently in floods and storms.

I'm astounded that there are places that sell gas but not diesel, seems like an odd move.

Loving this scenic tour Rebs, can't wait to see the gulf.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #230 on: 18 November 2021, 18:06:21 »
In the Gulf, we plan on going to New Orleans, the Dry Tortugas, the Keys, and finally, the Bahamas.

I'll have to start a new thread for touring the Gulf and Caribbean by boat!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #231 on: 18 November 2021, 18:26:14 »
So tonight we are at the Grand Harbor Resort and Marina.   On the map above it's at the intersection of the Tennessee River and the red dotted line (the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway).

Here's a picture.  It's ritzy and so it's kind of expensive, but very nice all the same.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #232 on: 18 November 2021, 21:34:54 »
Ritzy is an understatement... look at all those balconies!  ;D

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #233 on: 18 November 2021, 21:47:05 »
Yep, it's actually condos.  They do have cabins in the hills behind it, but they are not cheap.  So we're staying in our boat in a rented slip for $40.  Plus diesel.   :thumbsup:

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #234 on: 18 November 2021, 22:23:22 »
I'm astounded that there are places that sell gas but not diesel, seems like an odd move.

Loving this scenic tour Rebs, can't wait to see the gulf.
from what Rebs has said, there normally is diesel available, but some "issues" within the last year disrupted and or damaged the storage and or supply, and there was more demand for gas so that portion has been restored, while the less demand diesel hasn't been restored.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #235 on: 18 November 2021, 23:45:20 »
Pretty much.  There's been quite a bit of flooding on the lower Mississippi, and storms also have taken their toll.  For whatever reasons (and there are many), diesel can only be bought in Memphis and New Orleans,  but nowhere in between. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #236 on: 19 November 2021, 13:56:28 »
I guess there no high demand for Diesel Fuel.  Well, at least allow for sight seeing.  Are you and your father by yourselves doing this?  Not usual excursion you're doing.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #237 on: 19 November 2021, 14:25:39 »
Yes, it's just me and dad.  And it's more than sightseeing.   We're moving to Florida, and this is how we're taking the boat down permanently.   

If we ever go back to the Great Lakes and Michigan, we will be visitors.  And also, we will go up the east coast and go through New York City, then the Erie Canal to Lake Erie and go that way.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #238 on: 19 November 2021, 21:17:20 »
I guess there no high demand for Diesel Fuel.  Well, at least allow for sight seeing.  Are you and your father by yourselves doing this?  Not usual excursion you're doing.

Or no constant demand for diesel.  A tugboat might need diesel, but it needs far more of it at rarer intervals than a personal boat.

For a relatively easy example, to support tugboats you would have 1 station with 10,000 gallons of diesel, while for personal boats you might want 10 stations each with 1,000 gallons of diesel.  The same total amount is provided, but the personal boats don't use the path because they don't have a convenient place to fill up.  Since personal boats don't use the path there is no reason to build a station with 1,000 gallons of diesel, meaning there is never a reason for personal bots to ever come in that direction

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #239 on: 19 November 2021, 22:07:48 »
Or no constant demand for diesel.  A tugboat might need diesel, but it needs far more of it at rarer intervals than a personal boat.

For a relatively easy example, to support tugboats you would have 1 station with 10,000 gallons of diesel, while for personal boats you might want 10 stations each with 1,000 gallons of diesel.  The same total amount is provided, but the personal boats don't use the path because they don't have a convenient place to fill up.  Since personal boats don't use the path there is no reason to build a station with 1,000 gallons of diesel, meaning there is never a reason for personal bots to ever come in that direction

Yeah, this is what surprises me. Our waterways are nowhere near as populated as yours, and not generally seen as a good way to move freight. I'm just used to seeing diesel where ever there is petoleum. I find it odd when it's not there, that's all.