Register Register

Author Topic: So I'm Moving to Florida - By Boat  (Read 15317 times)

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
Re: So I'm Moving to Florida - By Boat
« Reply #330 on: 09 January 2022, 21:21:11 »
I'm pretty sure that the military was discouraging tattoos 20 years ago when I considered enlisting.

Really depends on what military I suppose, ours is relaxing all such requirements. Things like death iconography, facial tattoos, and other controversial topics are banned outright, but by and large they are now permitted by all services.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #331 on: 10 January 2022, 01:18:40 »
The US military.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #332 on: 10 January 2022, 03:41:05 »
Well, it does mean my daughter-in-law makes good money doing laser tattoo removal ... which takes longer, and is more painful, than getting the tattoo.

But like the lady who got a Russian Orthodox cross from nape to waist and between the shoulderblades, who then married a Serb, whatcha going to do?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #333 on: 10 January 2022, 04:28:37 »
I'm pretty sure that the military was discouraging tattoos 20 years ago when I considered enlisting.
The discouragement waxes and wanes in intensity over time.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #334 on: 10 January 2022, 12:06:41 »
Well, it does mean my daughter-in-law makes good money doing laser tattoo removal ... which takes longer, and is more painful, than getting the tattoo.

But like the lady who got a Russian Orthodox cross from nape to waist and between the shoulderblades, who then married a Serb, whatcha going to do?

I put so much thought and time in before getting a new tattoo, I'll never have to get them removed.  I have never had an impulsive tattoo.  Or a drunken tattoo, for that matter.

And though I have never served in the military, I have family members who have, and I respect all of our soldiers, sailors, flyers, and marines for fighting for the freedom that I cherish.  Tattooed or not.

Known Glitch

• Sergeant
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #335 on: 10 January 2022, 13:18:22 »
The discouragement waxes and wanes in intensity over time.

And the size/quality of the Enlisted recruiting pool. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #336 on: 10 January 2022, 17:24:24 »
As long as you're happy with it and it don't cause problems for you.  It should be cool.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #337 on: 10 January 2022, 18:47:46 »
I put so much thought and time in before getting a new tattoo, I'll never have to get them removed.  I have never had an impulsive tattoo.  Or a drunken tattoo, for that matter.

And though I have never served in the military, I have family members who have, and I respect all of our soldiers, sailors, flyers, and marines for fighting for the freedom that I cherish.  Tattooed or not.

I've got two, both drunken. 20 years later and I'm still happy with them. Not so much as body art, but as a reminder of times long ago in a very different world.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #338 on: 10 January 2022, 19:05:53 »
Clearly I need to find you in a bar somewhere and buy you a drink or two to get those sea stories!  ;D

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #339 on: 10 January 2022, 21:55:03 »
Clearly I need to find you in a bar somewhere and buy you a drink or two to get those sea stories!  ;D

I gotta say, it would be really great to get all the old servicemen on this forum together in a bar, although I'm not sure the place could handle it.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #340 on: 10 January 2022, 22:00:07 »
I know a place...  there's a nice big bar across the river from my marina in Mobile.  It's called the River Shack.  At one end, live music, and the other end a fairly quiet bar where we could all talk.  And it's got the freshest shrimp ever. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #341 on: 28 January 2022, 22:41:37 »
Well, the boat is more or less improved and ready to go. We put on a marine grade Balmar alternator, changed the belt to a serpentine belt with adjustable tensioner, got a new bigger and heavier anchor, and our inverter is now properly wired, though we still have yet to get the solar panels.  We'll do that in Florida at some point.

But that will be later.  The weather forecast is pretty much garbage for the foreseeable future, with a few days of nice weather scattered in between days of 30 to 50 knot winds, cold temperatures, and rain, rain, rain.

As I said before, this is a pleasure cruise, not a misery cruise.  So we're staying put.  But we have tickets to fly back to Detroit out of New Orleans (call it the Neo-French Connection) on February 12th, so we're renting a car on the 10th and driving into New Orleans.  We'll spend a couple days there seeing the sights before catching our flight the night of the 12th. 

Then we'll spend two weeks in Detroit, I have a doctors appointment, my dad has several appointments, too.  When we're ready we'll hook the trailer to the Buick, load up with all the rest of our possessions, then drive it down LaBelle, Florida to store everything, which will complete our move.

Next we have a friend in Lakeland, Florida, who will pick us up and drive us back to the boat.  Sometime in early March we'll get the boat down there, and possibly hit the Florida Keys as well.  We have some travelling to do!  But the weather should be greatly improved. 
« Last Edit: 28 January 2022, 22:45:16 by rebs »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #342 on: 28 January 2022, 23:05:34 »
Would love to see pics from the road trip from Detroit when you do that!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #343 on: 28 January 2022, 23:25:25 »
Would love to see pics from the road trip from Detroit when you do that!

I will.  Jellico Mountain along I-75 in northern Tennessee is particularly impressive.

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #344 on: 28 January 2022, 23:56:33 »
I gotta say, it would be really great to get all the old servicemen on this forum together in a bar, although I'm not sure the place could handle it.

We'd be perma-banned before page 3.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #345 on: 29 January 2022, 04:13:18 »
We'd be perma-banned before page 3.

I'm betting we'd get to at least 4.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #346 on: 29 January 2022, 05:43:02 »
That's only because there are more of us than moderators!  :D