Register Register

Author Topic: Sore Thumbs II: What Non-BT Video Games Are You Playing?  (Read 55057 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Sore Thumbs II: What Non-BT Video Games Are You Playing?
« Reply #930 on: 17 July 2022, 22:37:57 »
The Steam Deck is amazing and is basically the Steam Controller 2.0.

Further to the above, I can hardly believe I'm playing ye olde Morrowind right now and it being an absolute pleasure. I mapped the Deck to the old Duke controller layout and it works pretty well for an old PC game.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #931 on: 17 July 2022, 22:50:12 »
Heh... come talk when you've finished old tyme Duke Nukem in 8 bit...

>:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #932 on: 17 July 2022, 23:21:13 »
Heh... come talk when you've finished old tyme Duke Nukem in 8 bit...

>:D

TT

Naaaaah.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #933 on: 19 July 2022, 21:46:23 »
Was playing thr OYW mod for Hoi. Started down the neozeon route when titans form and fights with the federation. I declare independence and the Titans declare war on me, Earth federation asks for help and I agree. Drop Axis to help.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #934 on: 19 July 2022, 21:54:45 »
I just got Stray.  It's great.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #935 on: 19 July 2022, 22:13:01 »
I just got Stray.  It's great.
That the cat game? What's the gameplay like?
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Sapphirus

• Warrant Officer
  • Stressed out? Here's an image of Kirby sitting :)
« Reply #936 on: 19 July 2022, 22:16:12 »
Just downloaded the demo of Ex-Zodiac on steam; which is a 3d cel-shaded low-poly rail shooter similar to Starfox on the SNES

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #937 on: 19 July 2022, 22:34:55 »
That the cat game? What's the gameplay like?

Very catlike.  There's a meow button.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #938 on: 20 July 2022, 11:25:15 »
I'm kind of exasperated with cyberpunk as a genre (much like zombies) but I want to play Stray anyway because kitties.
Edit: I've been told that about an hour in you get a laser and it becomes Just Another Shooter: Meow Button Edition.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2022, 14:36:43 by TheoLehman »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #939 on: 20 July 2022, 15:07:57 »
What I've heard is that the shooting aspect is only a small part of gameplay.  Haven't gotten that far myself, though.

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #940 on: 20 July 2022, 15:11:50 »
I'm hoping some hyperbole was involved, but also I'm glad I didn't break my Never Pre-Order rule.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #941 on: 20 July 2022, 16:30:28 »
I'm hoping some hyperbole was involved, but also I'm glad I didn't break my Never Pre-Order rule.

That seems wise. When there's a game that's this novel, it's better to wait and see if it really is potentially up your alley or not. It could simply be aimed at a streaming audience interested in the novelty and the lulz than the game. Great if that's up your alley, but it's definitely not my kind of thing. Then again it could have a great deal of depth-of-play and either stronger narrative or bigger sandbox of interlocking systems (a'la Stardew Valley). But I'll wait till I'm pretty sure.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #942 on: 20 July 2022, 17:08:54 »
It's not a sandbox game, I can tell you that: exploration is important but it's got a purpose.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #943 on: 23 July 2022, 23:24:33 »
Just got Tank Mechanic Simulator.  It was on sale for $8 in the Playstation Store, so I figure I've got my money's worth if it provides at least 30 minutes of entertainment.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #944 on: 24 July 2022, 01:29:37 »
the pokemon run continues. finished gold today. the kanto wrecking crew tour took less than two hours.

Xatu - Quagsire - Kingdra - Ampharos - Umbreon - Heracross

want to start ruby but i have to replace the battery in my copy. the soldering work in game boy advance cartridges is a bit more tricky than GB/GBC or NES because the battery sits on top of the game ROM. i ordered a copy of LEGO Bionicle to act as a sacrificial testbed

BirdDog

• Sergeant
« Reply #945 on: 24 July 2022, 12:04:29 »
I haven't touched it in years, but after watching so much Discovery and Strange New Worlds, I think I'll reinstall Star Trek Online for a bit.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #946 on: 24 July 2022, 18:16:07 »
I'm kind of exasperated with cyberpunk as a genre (much like zombies) but I want to play Stray anyway because kitties.
Edit: I've been told that about an hour in you get a laser and it becomes Just Another Shooter: Meow Button Edition.

Okay, I can tell you that this is completely untrue.

At one point you get a weapon, but it's more of a flashlight than a laser and it doesn't last very long, you only get it for one segment.  The game focuses on dodging and exploration, not fighting.

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #947 on: 25 July 2022, 08:54:10 »
Sounds like I'm the victim of hyperbole, and frankly that's a relief.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #948 on: 27 July 2022, 00:44:26 »
Well, the MultiVersus open beta is out now.  Been trying it out.  Played a couple of 2v2 games and did all right: wasn't dragging my partner down, at least.

elf25s

• Major
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #950 on: 05 August 2022, 08:57:17 »
Good News aside from the fact that it's Square Enix, with its problematic recent obsession with microtransactions and NFTs.

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #951 on: 05 August 2022, 09:34:37 »
Yeah, I've been kind of down on The Squeen since they started drooling over NFTs.  And, also, I got mad at Endwalker for reasons that would require a big ol' brick of spoiler-tagged text to explain.

Unrelatedly, I'm about ten hours into Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and loving it.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #952 on: 05 August 2022, 15:41:14 »
Space Engineers

Just finished a BT style jumpship, while not in scale, it does fit the purpose.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society
Nebula Confederation Ships

Sapphirus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #953 on: 05 August 2022, 17:42:24 »
Been playing a lot of Team Fortress 2 lately and I decided to stay away from the official casual servers and play in community servers. :)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #954 on: 05 August 2022, 17:54:55 »
Looking into Tower of Fantasy, when it launches

Xan

• Sergeant
« Reply #955 on: 06 August 2022, 22:55:00 »
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-08-04/square-enix-announces-tactics-ogre-reborn-remake-game-for-november-11-release/.188360

good news

I'm very excited for this.  Had this game for PS1 (my brother still has that copy), great game.  I hope this sells well enough the look at rereleasing Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen on modern consoles, I would pay an unhealthy amount of money for that.  (Ogre Battle 64 as well.)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #956 on: 06 August 2022, 23:26:47 »
I'm very excited for this.  Had this game for PS1 (my brother still has that copy), great game.  I hope this sells well enough the look at rereleasing Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen on modern consoles, I would pay an unhealthy amount of money for that.  (Ogre Battle 64 as well.)

Boy wouldn't that be nice. It was one of the most over-the-top large scale strategy games to come out of JRPG land. Just the diversity of having witches and killer octopi patrolling island chains while griffins and valkyries searched mountain ranges for dragons willing to be recruited... and pumpkin heads and ghosts and... just all around throttle to the firewall craziness.

Akamia

• Lieutenant
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #957 on: 08 August 2022, 09:02:32 »
Spent several hours straight playing No Man’s Sky with a friend. It’s a really nice Elite-lite. I don’t expect to sink as many hours into that as I do into Elite: Dangerous, but in a way, it’s a very different experience I suppose. ;D
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #958 on: 08 August 2022, 19:08:54 »
Spent several hours straight playing No Man’s Sky with a friend. It’s a really nice Elite-lite. I don’t expect to sink as many hours into that as I do into Elite: Dangerous, but in a way, it’s a very different experience I suppose. ;D
When I played I'd get lost in tunnel vision having fun making a base.

Sapphirus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #959 on: 09 August 2022, 17:47:36 »
Yesterday I purchased the Expansion pack for my Nintendo Switch Online subscription and I recently revisited the good times of Starfox 64 (but through the Switch's N64 catalogue)

Register