Register Register

Author Topic: Star Trek general thread  (Read 77558 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Re: Star Trek general thread
« Reply #1230 on: 08 January 2022, 20:45:13 »
Prodigy is set in 2383 according to the producers, so one year after series 2 of Lower Decks/3 years after Nemesis.

Really having trouble seeing how that's possible without time travel and/or alternate universes.  Maybe there's a reason why the Protostar's interior looks more like a Kelvinverse ship's?

Cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1231 on: 08 January 2022, 20:50:58 »
It would be a hell of a crossover having the protostar run into the crewof the Lower Decks.  >:D

If you noticed the display showing the ship's trajectory during the protowarp trip, it shows they went from "Delta" to " Gamma".  So they're more likely to encounter the Dominion before they meet with the crew of the Cerritos.

Cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1232 on: 09 January 2022, 02:24:50 »
Really having trouble seeing how that's possible without time travel and/or alternate universes.  Maybe there's a reason why the Protostar's interior looks more like a Kelvinverse ship's?

Cheers,

Gabe

I'd assume that either the setting was changed somewhat after the interview when they gave that year, or there's more to be revealed.  I assume that at least one episode in the current batch is going to delve into what happened to the Protostar given Jameela Jamil, Jason Alexander and Daveed Diggs are all playing characters with ranks in their announced names and were announced as being in the show at the same time as Robert Beltran.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #1233 on: 09 January 2022, 05:06:59 »
In the Chakotay clip, he says something about an anomaly. Perhaps whatever it was not only shot the Protostar to the Delta quadrant but also back in time so that it's possible for the Diviner to have been searching for it 17 years earlier.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1234 on: 09 January 2022, 23:04:42 »
A few other things about that episode...
--Did anybody else think all the Klingons looked a bit like Worf?
--Would Klingons really be bothered by AC/DC?  I would tend to think they would find that kind of music inspirational...
--Thinking about the Diviner and this "Order"... at first I thought it was a rip from Star Wars' First Order (such a character must belong to a malevolent imperialist organization, right?), but then it occurred to me, what if this is some kind of priestly/monastic order that forbids its members from reproducing (hence Drednok's warning to him about creating a progeny) and his title reflects his role among them (i.e., he's supposed to be their seer)?  I hope we get to learn more about them, to see if they're all really that evil, or if it's just the Diviner who has broken bad.
--If the Protostar did travel 17 years back in time from 2383, wouldn't that put them in the Delta Quadrant before Voyager arrived there?
If that's what happened, then Chakotay must realize they have to lie VERY low to avoid them becoming the Delta Quadrant's first encounter with Starfleet.  Otherwise he could risk encountering his past self!  Still, there's a clear implication that Chakotay and the Protostar's first crew met a bad end.

Cheers,

Gabe

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1235 on: 10 January 2022, 16:30:28 »

So the Diviner was already pursuing the Protostar 17 years before the series is set, and he works for (or answers to) some outfit called "The Order" (gee, wonder where they got THAT from?). So does he really want the ship for himself, or because he was supposed to turn it over to them? The fact that the the ship's files were encrypted with the Vau N'Akat language would seem to imply that he did have actually have control of it for a while, which would give him enough time to become familiar with its technology and systems and start training Gwyn.

the stardate given confirms that the scene is 17 years before 2383. in fact given the stardate, it would seem to be occurring only a few days before TNG season 3's "Menage a Troi" in 2366.

and in that scene they mention that people had been looking for the ship for years before the diviner even started, so it is possible that the ship landed much earlier in the past than 17 years.

--If the Protostar did travel 17 years back in time from 2383, wouldn't that put them in the Delta Quadrant before Voyager arrived there?
If that's what happened, then Chakotay must realize they have to lie VERY low to avoid them becoming the Delta Quadrant's first encounter with Starfleet.  Otherwise he could risk encountering his past self!  Still, there's a clear implication that Chakotay and the Protostar's first crew met a bad end.
yep. at the time of that flashback, Chakotay hadn't even left starfleet yet, and the maquis wouldn't even exist for for another couple of years (the treaty that created the DMZ only just got signed). janeway still hadn't even received a starship command yet, B'elanna and harry Kim had only just entered starfleet academy.
it's a year before wolf 359 even.

lots of history that could be derailed, landing at least 20 years in the past. and the farther back it lands, the worse the problem is.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2022, 16:32:28 by glitterboy2098 »

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #1236 on: 10 January 2022, 16:32:25 »
At least Harry Kim isn't an ensign...  ^-^

I'm concerned about the lock outs in Janeway's memories.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #1237 on: 10 January 2022, 17:16:51 »
Maybe they locked away crazy Janeway part of Holo Janeway ;D .
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1238 on: 10 January 2022, 22:55:19 »
Maybe they locked away crazy Warlord Janeway part of Holo Janeway ;D .

FTFY  ;D :D

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1239 on: 10 January 2022, 23:41:07 »
Finally, I can get to DISCO.

--First off:  the frakkin' size of the DMA.  Did anybody actually stop the writers and explain to them what FIVE LIGHT-YEARS is?  That's somewhat more than the distance from here to Alpha Centauri AB, right?  That thing should be completely disrupting ENTIRE STAR SYSTEMS wherever it goes!  Even what happened to Kwejian should be just a nudge.  Who was the science consultant here???

--Really didn't like the idea of making the DMA a non-natural phenomenon.  Sure, it makes for more dramatic tension with the galaxy's powers split into "shoot first" and "questions first" factions, but it completely undid the DMA as an analogue for real-world disasters like you-all-know-what.  I said before the season started that if there was an intelligence behind the DMA, that would just make it all ST:TMP writ large, and it looks like the writers decided to go that route.

--Do like the new uniforms. They have a bit of the '80s movies feel about them.

--So we know that Zora's emerging consciousness contains at least one of the Three Laws, even if not stated in those terms. Maybe the ship was ultimately abandoned because she became too much of a mother hen? (The whole "Measure of A Man" redux was pretty well done IMO, but with the script kind of flipped; I felt that Stamets came closest to the Picard role there even though he was arguing the other side.)

--Would love to know just who Kovich is; right now, he just kind of seems to be whatever the script needs him to be.  Still have to love the way he takes the piss out of everybody. Surprisingly, he does have a vulnerable side, but he's only shown a bit of it to Tilly so far.

--Speaking of Tilly, was kind of surprised she walked away, but after hearing her explanation, I can sympathize, since I faced a similar conundrum in deciding to give up academia.

--Did the Orions join the Federation after the Emerald Chain collapsed, or are they non-aligned for the time being?

--Anyone else think that this Tarka is playing Book for a big stooge?

--Does anybody else find it suspicious that there has been no trace of the Klingons since the setting shifted to the 32nd Century? Not this season and not last either. At least we know what happened to the Romulans, and even the Ferengi seem to have joined the Federation!  I can appreciate the writers may have wanted to avoid "Klingon fatigue" after the first two seasons, but for the Klingons to have just seemingly vanished like that is beyond odd.  (Are THEY somehow behind the DMA?!?!?)

Those are all the random thoughts I could pull together tonight.  Might have more later.

cheers,

Gabe

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1240 on: 11 January 2022, 14:53:56 »
Pretty sure the short Trek with the ship being abandoned is now an alternate timeline. Because the ship there is in it's original 23 century form, not the 32 century refit. (Which changed the shapes quite extensively in the lower hull and saucer)

Suggesting that in it, the ship was abandoned around the time of the incident with Control, and made it to the 32nd century the slow way.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2022, 14:55:56 by glitterboy2098 »

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1241 on: 19 January 2022, 15:20:02 »
Picard returns in march :D

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1242 on: 19 January 2022, 16:17:53 »

March 3rd, spaced out were there is going to be pretty much Star Trek most of the year. Got to keep that CBS/Paramount+
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships just passed the 566 Battlemechs I now own.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1243 on: 19 January 2022, 19:32:08 »
Also:

Strange New Worlds will begin on May 5th and has been renewed for a second series
DISCO has been renewed for a 5th series
Lower Decks series 3 will begin in the summer and has been renewed for a 4th series.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1244 on: 20 January 2022, 01:07:05 »
Great time to be a Trek fan :)

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1245 on: 20 January 2022, 08:10:14 »
Prodigy gives us a stardate this week: 607125.6.  Assuming that's not a mistake, it would suggest the show is set in 2561.  That said, if it is a mistake and there's one digit too many in the number, it would be right on track for 2383...

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1246 on: 20 January 2022, 10:01:47 »
Prodigy gives us a stardate this week: 607125.6.  Assuming that's not a mistake, it would suggest the show is set in 2561.  That said, if it is a mistake and there's one digit too many in the number, it would be right on track for 2383...

What's the source for this?

cheers,

Gabe

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1247 on: 20 January 2022, 10:17:11 »
What's the source for this?

cheers,

Gabe

The Stardate is in Janeway's log at the start.  All stardates from TNG onwards progress lineally.  Stardates 41xxx are 2364, 42xxx are 2365 and so on.  DISCO series 3 gives a stardate of 865211.3 and counting from 41xxx upwards, 865xxx is 3188, which corresponds with the stated year for the series

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1248 on: 20 January 2022, 11:37:25 »
The Stardate is in Janeway's log at the start.  All stardates from TNG onwards progress lineally.  Stardates 41xxx are 2364, 42xxx are 2365 and so on.  DISCO series 3 gives a stardate of 865211.3 and counting from 41xxx upwards, 865xxx is 3188, which corresponds with the stated year for the series

Well if that's so, does Holo-Janeway actually realize yet just how much time has passed since the Protostar's initial launch? She really seems to have been reset and still thinks it's 2383.

I think I see where this is going...and if I'm Holo-Janeway, I'm not sure I would want to find out all about that missing past.  Kind of like what's going on with Doctor Who now.

cheers,

Gabe

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1249 on: 20 January 2022, 13:57:27 »
The stardate for the "17years ago" flashback though matches up to 17 years prior to 2383, based on stardates and years given in TNG. Suggesting the date for a 26th century current time was probably a mistake.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2022, 23:33:16 by glitterboy2098 »

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #1250 on: 20 January 2022, 21:17:24 »

I've seen ads for February here.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1251 on: 23 January 2022, 18:04:26 »
That last episode of Prodigy didn't make a lot of sense to me.  Shouldn't each member of the crew have perceived their own time frame as "normal"?  It's like they were each still moving in normal time, but everything around them was going faster or slower.  Could somebody with a better understanding of relativity and temporal mechanics elaborate?

And the appearance of drednok and what he did there seems to confirm that he and the Diviner had control of the ship for some time.  He knew EXACTLY where to look for that device.

Otherwise a bit like the last episode of _Doctor Who: Flux_ mixed with the New Year's special.

Cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1252 on: 23 January 2022, 18:52:41 »

https://blog.trekcore.com/2022/01/star-trek-prodigy-review-time-amok/

Apparently it's being explained as a mistake caused by the ship's computer already being affected by the tachyon storm--before they actually went into it.

Still doesn't explain how each person could function independently of the rest of their time phase.

cheers,

Gabe

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1253 on: 23 January 2022, 18:56:02 »

https://blog.trekcore.com/2022/01/star-trek-prodigy-review-time-amok/
Apparently it's being explained as a mistake caused by the ship's computer already being affected by the tachyon storm--before they actually went into it.

Still doesn't explain how each person could function independently of the rest of their time phase.
I've not seen it, but sounds like the simplified what was going on for the younger audience.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1254 on: 24 January 2022, 16:43:03 »
i just figured that either we were seeing a loop scenario like in TNG "Cause and effect", temporal fragmenting like in TNG "timescape", or a "every one was in their own isolated timeline that got recompiled when the cause was fixed" situation like in VOY "Shattered"

the temporal phase resonance explanation for why no one could see or interact directly sounded similar to the quantum resonances involved with Worf transiting between quantum timelines in TNG "Parallels" as well as the quantum phase stuff that effected Geordi and Ro in TNG "the Next Phase". so it could be that the effect basically spun off each kid into their own timeline, which while still connected and intertwined, was effectively isolated from each other. by fixing the problem that cause the issue in the first place (the interaction of the tachyon storm with the protostar in the drive) it collapsed the different timelines back into one. and since it occured before the ships blew up, the others became "unkilled" in much the same way that the Ent-D un-blew itself up in TNG "Timescape"

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #1255 on: 24 January 2022, 16:56:08 »
Personally I chalk it up to this.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1256 on: 24 January 2022, 23:21:17 »
i just figured that either we were seeing a loop scenario like in TNG "Cause and effect", temporal fragmenting like in TNG "timescape", or a "every one was in their own isolated timeline that got recompiled when the cause was fixed" situation like in VOY "Shattered"

the temporal phase resonance explanation for why no one could see or interact directly sounded similar to the quantum resonances involved with Worf transiting between quantum timelines in TNG "Parallels" as well as the quantum phase stuff that effected Geordi and Ro in TNG "the Next Phase". so it could be that the effect basically spun off each kid into their own timeline, which while still connected and intertwined, was effectively isolated from each other. by fixing the problem that cause the issue in the first place (the interaction of the tachyon storm with the protostar in the drive) it collapsed the different timelines back into one. and since it occured before the ships blew up, the others became "unkilled" in much the same way that the Ent-D un-blew itself up in TNG "Timescape"

That's not what I mean.  Think about what happened to Kirk in the TOS episode "Wink of An Eye", the one where he drinks the radioactive water that makes him move at super-speed so that he's invisible to the rest of the crew.  From *his* perspective though, he's still moving normally (as are the aliens that caused the problem; never mind for a second that most of the episode doesn't stand up to scientific scrutiny, which has been well analyzed), while everyone else appears nearly immobile.

That's what *should* have happened here.  Gwyn was the one closest to normal time, so if she could have seen into the other time phases, Rok would appear practically immobile, while Jankom would be zipping around like <insert favourite comic book super-speedster here>, if not invisible like Kirk in the aforementioned example.  For each of the individuals though, everything in their own time phase would appear normal.  So even if Rok would seem to be moving slower than a glacier when seen from Gwyn's perspective, from her own perspective, ten minutes would still be ten minutes, and the ship would still go kablooey in that time.  Same as with Dal when he noted that the game he played got faster--he shouldn't have noticed anything because HE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN FASTER WITH IT.  Instead, each of the crew reacted like they were all holograms like Holo-Janeway, somehow shielded from the different flows of time in each time phase.  Almost like each of them existed in a skin-tight pocket of their "native" time.

cheers,

Gabe

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1257 on: 02 February 2022, 12:06:22 »
Those whom maybe interested....it's coming in May.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #1258 on: 02 February 2022, 14:33:57 »
Those whom maybe interested....it's coming in May.

That's interesting visual.
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1259 on: 02 February 2022, 15:24:53 »
Pike did love his horses.