Register Register

Author Topic: Sulu in Coeboy Bebop  (Read 2978 times)

BirdDog

• Sergeant
Re: Sulu in Coeboy Bebop
« Reply #60 on: 27 October 2021, 10:14:07 »
From what we learn in anime about Faye there is reason why she doesn't seem like threat. After all she is some one who has been forced to that situation after having been in cryo sleep for so long and awakening to unfamiliar world and ending up being exploited and then hunted down.

That's his point, I believe.  The live-action Faye DOES seem like a threat, while if true to the anime, she shouldn't.

(I tend to agree - I'm reserving judgement on whether it's a 'good' thing or a 'bad' thing until it's released, but LA Faye definitely has a different vibe than anime Faye.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #61 on: 27 October 2021, 10:28:32 »
That's his point, I believe.  The live-action Faye DOES seem like a threat, while if true to the anime, she shouldn't.

(I tend to agree - I'm reserving judgement on whether it's a 'good' thing or a 'bad' thing until it's released, but LA Faye definitely has a different vibe than anime Faye.

*nod*

I mean even a quick google image search puts some lie to the statement that there no women that have Faye's figure that can successfully wear her anime outfit but really my fundamental problem is Faye being a fish out of water like that did force her to be more subtle and cunning.  Sure the smarter/more perceptive people in the show could still see through it but ultimately she still never gave off hostile/dangerous vibes like I get from this Faye.

Øystein

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #62 on: 27 October 2021, 11:59:33 »
I think the trailers looks fun and interesting, and makes me wanna watch the show.

I think this thread is a rehash of the common "problem" when you remake/get inspired by something. The fans of the original will never ever be pleased by the new product, because it is by default not the show/book/movie/song/whaetver they love.

And this show is frankly not made to please you, it is to capture a new audience. I did watch a bit of Cowboy way back whenever (like 4972974927 years ago) but can't remember anything about it because it didn't capture me. I'm the type of viewers they are really aiming at.

The dicussion here is the same we've had in all threads about shows which has a history, it ends up being about "she couldn't wear the cloths of the anime, so she is a bad version". Or the new version of "OMG! Danys eyes aren't purple! HERETICS!!!!!". :)

NOt saying not discuss it, knock yourselves out. But just don't expect it to be a 1:1 to the micrometer translation.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #63 on: 27 October 2021, 12:18:38 »

I think this thread is a rehash of the common "problem" when you remake/get inspired by something. The fans of the original will never ever be pleased by the new product, because it is by default not the show/book/movie/song/whaetver they love.

Oh, absolutely. And I assuming (perhaps dangerously) that they were well aware that these conversations would be happening all over different corners of the internet. And they made it anyway. So good on them.

Like I said, I don't need or expect Spike and Faye (especially) to look like their cartoon counterparts. I don't care that Live Action Faye (apparently) likes knives, that Live Action Spike apparently has a name other than Spike, or that Ed might not show up.

Hell, to their credit, Jet looks and sounds PERFECT. Annie also looks like a great bit of casting. And there's Ein. I mean, you just have to find a Corgi.

I guess my big concern(?) is that it looks like they are trying too hard to mimic parts of the cartoon, to the point of some shots just being kind of silly. And they are definitely trying to reproduce certain shots (looking at you, Ballad of Fallen Angels). If they take the original and turn the live action into its own thing, cool, I'm definitely on board. If its just a reproduction of the original, I'll still watch it, but I'm definitely less on board.

Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #64 on: 27 October 2021, 14:52:38 »
I really wish they'd changed Vicious's hair.  White hair like that just makes him look like a cosplayer.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 27 October 2021, 17:12:57 »
I have read somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember where that Ed is planned for season 2, if they get there.

I have the same group of concerns about this, that I do about the new CW versions of the Waltons (or at least the orginally movie at least that will be Richard Thomas as the Narrator) and Babylon 5 even with JMS involved.

I know they won't be the same, I just hope they will be good.  But to many changes for "Political Correctness" or just because..  like this Faye..  She seems to be a "pro" likes knives and not the fish out of water, trying her hardest to survive by whatever means she can find...
Spike, you will never be able to find someone who can move and fight like he could in the Anime
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #66 on: 27 October 2021, 21:14:02 »
I'm pretty sure that "political correctness" (a term which is always vague and nebulous) has nothing to do with the changes to Faye.  I mean, she wasn't exactly a helpless damsel in the original show.  She got in trouble because she was headstrong and overconfident, not incompetent.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 27 October 2021, 21:41:25 »
I'm pretty sure that "political correctness" (a term which is always vague and nebulous) has nothing to do with the changes to Faye.  I mean, she wasn't exactly a helpless damsel in the original show.  She got in trouble because she was headstrong and overconfident, not incompetent.

That's not an unfair assessment either but again it still points out jarringly different this live action Faye is.

I'll just hope that when I do watch this my fears and my theories about why the change are wrong.  No I won't share them even by PM.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #68 on: 27 October 2021, 21:54:31 »
Oh, I don't like the things I've seen about Faye, but I'm only going to criticize her based on actual differences.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #69 on: 28 October 2021, 00:33:34 »
Rewatchong the original. I have to say that new faye (more dangerous looking) would do perfectly fine in most episodes I have watched. I will reserve opinion on the show, but my concerns are more about crappy action scenes than Faye.

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
  • MegaMek Server Guy and Mac Enthusist
« Reply #70 on: 28 October 2021, 08:08:04 »
I have read somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember where that Ed is planned for season 2, if they get there.

I remember reading this as well FROM Netflix.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 19 November 2021, 21:35:35 »
Watched episode 1.  Minor spoilers ahead.

It's okay.  Enough I'll keep watching.

Spike is moving better than in the trailer so I can forgive Sulu as Spike.

This Faye is already a very different character to the extent they probably should have re-named the character or introduced a new one.  I'll try and head canon the character in such a fashion to give it a fair shot but so far I'm not overly fond of her.

Jet remains absolutely spot on.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #72 on: 19 November 2021, 21:40:21 »
So, one episode in and I’m not sure what to think.

On the one hand, there are times that it absolutely does feel like a faithful reinterpretation of the original show and that makes me think there’s some potential. It’s a weird, gritty, ugly, violent world full of super cool space stuff and it’s almost like meeting up with a familiar friend after being separated for decades. They’ve seriously reorganized some of the plot, but not so much so that it feels out of place. The main cast seems really solid and the interactions between Spike, Jet, and Faye feel right.

On the other hand, they spend so much effort on shot-for-shot remakes that just can’t be done in live action that it really cheapens all the effort they put into making the show feel right. The scene where Asimov first shoots up with red eye is really weird and choppy. I think the episode would be fine if it were trying to do it’s own thing, but it’s not and it’s not doing what it is trying to do especially well.

Then on a third hand borrowed from someone else, holy ****** shit, all of the Syndicate scenes are so bad. The rank and file guys look goofy as hell and Vicious looks and sounds so, so, so awful.

I’ll definitely watch the next episode, but it isn’t a series I’m going to marathon through in one sitting.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #73 on: 19 November 2021, 23:29:00 »
John Cho is a good actor, but he really can't do justice to Steve Blum's one liners.  But overall I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode, it's much better than I expected.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 20 November 2021, 01:15:50 »
Glad I had low expectations because all I can say is meh so far; Jet seems to be the only redeeming part so far and I am now glad Ed is not in the series since I'm afraid to what they might have done to her character.
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #75 on: 20 November 2021, 01:42:50 »

Ed is coming.  So is Julia...
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 20 November 2021, 04:18:36 »
Re: Ed appearing in the show, SPOILERS
Seen on youtube was a video where Ed meets Spike for the first time.  Not sure who they cast for Ed, but they got the personality down just pat.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #77 on: 20 November 2021, 08:03:03 »
Yeah, the clip I saw online looks spot-on, but I’m not sure when it happens.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 20 November 2021, 19:55:04 »
so far music fits the show and lived their take on the 24/7 store in the begining...they just switched it to different locale not spoiling it
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • Keep your friends close, and your vodka closer
    • My personal blog (BattleTech fiction, original fiction, SF book and movie reviews)
« Reply #79 on: 21 November 2021, 22:48:05 »
Oh hey just finished the season.

Some days you cowboy bebopping, some days you cowboy bebopped.

For me it's a B-. Episodes feel padded with dull """banter""" but it's got just enough spark to keep me going. Every time I think I'll quit, there's one good scene that actually works. Probably depends how much you liked the original. The more you liked it the less you'll like this.

Every Rose has its thorn, just like every cowboy sings a sad, sad bebop

Perhaps the writers behind TMNT and Thor 2 were not the best people to handle this franchise. It's a bit too much wacky space hijinks, not quite enough noir, a bit too focused on the Vicious Spike rivalry not enough episodes of just Mandalorian in a fedora bounty hunting. Ah. But it's fun for what it is. Except the ending and can I retroactively remove Ed from the show?

Neither a cowboy bebopper nor a cowboy bebopperer be.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4)
BattleTech stories:
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Mynameisdoubleg/works?fandom_id=51921204
Reviews and Warhammer 40K:
https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.jp/

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #80 on: 21 November 2021, 22:54:28 »
I'm halfway through and I agree that it's been a B- so far, but too much wacky space hijinx?  I'd say it's got exactly the opposite problem: every episode is dark and edgy.  There's nothing that's got the humor of Stray Dog Strut, Toys In The Attic, or Mushroom Samba.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 22 November 2021, 01:29:23 »
wwll second eps had a bit of a surprise a cameo by the seatbelts at anas
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #82 on: 22 November 2021, 12:49:12 »
I'm 4 episodes in and feel like it's OK.  There's a few lines each episode that make me laugh, and I appreciate they they're essentially remixing the anime but it's just... off.  Visually, it makes me think of recent (or recent-ish) attempts by Asian cinema to do big-budget SF epics like the live-action Yamato movie, The Wandering Earth or Space Sweepers. The film grain, the lighting, it just feels weird.

When I spotted Javier Grillo-Marxauch's name in the credits, a lot of the sense of humour and dialogue began to make sense, it's very much an age-upped version of his flavour of witty dialogue in comics and show's he's worked on, like The Middleman.  Not sure it it quite fits the milieu of Cowboy Bebop, but it does amuse me.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 22 November 2021, 13:17:54 »
I'm 4 episodes in and feel like it's OK.  There's a few lines each episode that make me laugh, and I appreciate they they're essentially remixing the anime but it's just... off.  Visually, it makes me think of recent (or recent-ish) attempts by Asian cinema to do big-budget SF epics like the live-action Yamato movie, The Wandering Earth or Space Sweepers. The film grain, the lighting, it just feels weird.

When I spotted Javier Grillo-Marxauch's name in the credits, a lot of the sense of humour and dialogue began to make sense, it's very much an age-upped version of his flavour of witty dialogue in comics and show's he's worked on, like The Middleman.  Not sure it it quite fits the milieu of Cowboy Bebop, but it does amuse me.

*nod*

I'm a couple episodes farther along than that and largely agree.  It's not great but not bad either and there seem to be a few things done just for the sake of making it a more 'adult' show but at the same time make a weird sense.

Jet remains my favorite character in this version.

As long as they don't play around with trying to make Spike and Faye have some sort of love interest/flirting dynamic I think I can stick with the show.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #84 on: 22 November 2021, 13:19:33 »
I always thought she flirted with him as part of her constant attempt to manipulate/leverage people.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 22 November 2021, 13:22:27 »
I always thought she flirted with him as part of her constant attempt to manipulate/leverage people.

Which worked for the con artist Faye of the anime.  This live action Faye?  It'd have to be done very carefully and even then I might not find it that believable.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #86 on: 22 November 2021, 20:24:41 »
This Faye isn't interested in men.