Register Register

Author Topic: The Big Chill in Texas  (Read 1405 times)

Thantos13

• Corporal
Re: The Big Chill in Texas
« Reply #90 on: 23 February 2021, 09:03:28 »
In most states there DO exist laws to deal with that-especially if the utility in question failed to deliver in a steady, regular manner.  (for example, failing to deliver the billed hours).

Whether that's so in Texas? I don't know.

I'm not an expert.  or a lawyer. I don't even play one on television.

My gut, however, questions how they expect to collect on that 16,000 dollar bill from someone whose normal bill is around 80-120, there's a limit to the amount of blood you can squeeze from a stone.

To give the bills some context. The ethanol plant I worked at made it through a year of Covid-19 slow downs (low consumer use) only to be shut down by natural gas prices. In 3 days the price at use increased +14000% ($3.20 a unit to $450 a unit). We could shut down, with the added benefit of lessening the demand.

Garrand

• Master Sergeant
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #91 on: 23 February 2021, 15:27:38 »
My gut, however, questions how they expect to collect on that 16,000 dollar bill from someone whose normal bill is around 80-120, there's a limit to the amount of blood you can squeeze from a stone.

I would assume in the same way everyone else does in the corporate world: Internal collections after the bill goes past due, & if not successful in 90 or 120 days (depending on the policy), power gets shut off to the customer until the bill IS paid, the bill written off (with the expected consequences to the customer's credit score & ability to secure alternate power providers as well), the amount taken off the company's tax liability, & the debt sold to a 3rd party collections agency. In the end the real loser here is the customer, who now has a $16,000 black mark on their credit history, limiting their ability to secure loans -- from housing to cars -- rent property, or even have job flexibility (I've applied to several jobs that require a credit check, because money is involved).

Unless the government steps in, the company forgives the debt, or some other agency or party steps up to assist the customer.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #92 on: 23 February 2021, 17:41:37 »
Getting off the bill issue..  Anyone have any good home tips, for clearing ice out of gutter downspouts??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 23 February 2021, 18:10:28 »
Pour some hot water into the entry point for the downspout?

Red Pins

• Captain
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #94 on: 23 February 2021, 19:59:58 »
Long term?  Heat tape - leave it in the pipe, leave the plug at the bottom, then it up so the water doesn't contact the plug.

Short term, I've tapped it to break a thin layer of ice inside, unscrewed it, and brought it inside to melt, the reattach.

Is it frozen SOLID?  Plug the top so it doesn't refill, let it spill over the side.  Got one of those BIG torches?  Start at the bottom.

Or just wait.  Spring will come.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
Glitter - the herpes of the craft supply world.

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 23 February 2021, 21:52:55 »
Getting off the bill issue..  Anyone have any good home tips, for clearing ice out of gutter downspouts??
Well, depending on where they are, Sunlight seems to work here in Maine
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #96 on: 23 February 2021, 23:45:47 »
the first question is what is the downspout made of? because metal vs plastic are going to have somewhat different answers.

plastic is going to be a lot more sensitive to heat with that said hot water and or a relatively low temperature hair dryer might work, also depending on how much ice and where it is mechanical removal such as a drill, or chemical removal (salt) are possibilities, along with just don't worry about it and let warming weather thaw it.

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #97 on: 24 February 2021, 02:25:01 »
Long term?  Heat tape - leave it in the pipe, leave the plug at the bottom, then it up so the water doesn't contact the plug.\
I've been looking at investing in those de-icer wires that you put all along the roofline, to stop the TOP of the guttering icing over, and they have cables that go down the downspouts to do the same..

the first question is what is the downspout made of? because metal vs plastic are going to have somewhat different answers.

plastic is going to be a lot more sensitive to heat with that said hot water and or a relatively low temperature hair dryer might work, also depending on how much ice and where it is mechanical removal such as a drill, or chemical removal (salt) are possibilities, along with just don't worry about it and let warming weather thaw it.

Most is made with aluminium.  BUT i have those plastic extenders on the bottom, to keep the water away from the foundation..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #98 on: 24 February 2021, 04:28:48 »

is your gutter metal, or nylon?  if it's metal, you might consider writing it off and expecting to replace it, and if you do so, then you can buy a bag of morton salt-the big bag.

then you pour it into the top of the downspout, and let it sit there.  gravity will move the salt slurry down the pipe, and it'll work its way through without breaking your back trying to clear it.

alternately, as someone said, if you've got electricity, heat tape wrapped around the downspout, benefit here being no risk of rusting it out or polluting the ground directly under it.

The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.