Register Register

Author Topic: The Book of Boba Fett  (Read 9991 times)

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
Re: The Book of Boba Fett
« Reply #60 on: 20 January 2022, 13:01:07 »
I've really enjoyed this series so far, though I do agree that the speeder chase reminded me of a mall cop chasing a bunch of grannies on scooters (Hell's Grannies?) through the mall ;D

I like how he dealt with the biker gang in Chapter 4 - just strafe 'em with Slave I, with a concussion missile to blow the leader to vapor  >:D

Also the fancy flying/floating trying to look down the throat of the Sarlaac.  I'm glad that big bomb they dropped down its throat didn't take them out as well!

I bet we're going to see some Mandalorians in the next chapter or two, seeing that they're hurting for cash with the death of the Empire.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #61 on: 20 January 2022, 13:56:07 »
Boba Fett is absolutely useless. Seriously, why is he the leader? He's indecisive, uncreative, passive and dithering.
As leaders often are. What they bring to the table is an idea and the brains to choose the right allies.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 20 January 2022, 17:19:36 »
Fat Guy, you got your wish. :thumbsup:
I truly enjoy this series.  They have been paying attention to the existing cannon, unlike in Episode 7-9 of the movies.
As for Boba's change of personality, it makes sense to me.  During his childhood, he only had his father, and after he died, only could rely on himself.  That creates the bounty hunter outlook on life.  When he was adopted by the Tuskens, he got something he never had before: a family.  They taught him to think in new ways.  He became Daimyo so that he could destroy the forces that made the slaughter of his Tusken family possible.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #63 on: 20 January 2022, 20:26:24 »
In many ways "consigliori" is the superior role to "don"...  ^-^

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 20 January 2022, 21:01:40 »
As leaders often are. What they bring to the table is an idea and the brains to choose the right allies.

Never seen a useful leader who was indecisive, ignorant and dithering. That's actually exactly the opposite of leadership.

Leaders are there to make decisions, more than anything else. All of the other tasks, even the ideas, can fall to others, but the leader needs to be decisive and get things done.

From this perspective, Shand is actually the leader here, Fett is nothing more than a figurehead.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #65 on: 20 January 2022, 21:25:55 »
My point exactly!  8)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 20 January 2022, 21:26:09 »
He's not indecisive, he's made many decisions and followed through on them immediately:

- sparing the Gamorreans
- confronting the mayor in person following the failed assassination
- confronting the Mods and hiring them on the spit
- releasing Black Krrstan
- adopting the rancor
- formed a NAP with the controlling families of the city.

You'll forgive me for using that trite cliche "ignorance is a state of mind", but while he lacks experience in the role he's been enthusiastic about learning at every opportunity.

Don't mistake violence or aggression for decisiveness.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: 21 January 2022, 13:10:43 »
As for Boba's change of personality, it makes sense to me.  During his childhood, he only had his father, and after he died, only could rely on himself.  That creates the bounty hunter outlook on life.  When he was adopted by the Tuskens, he got something he never had before: a family.  They taught him to think in new ways.  He became Daimyo so that he could destroy the forces that made the slaughter of his Tusken family possible.

I totally agree with this.  It makes me wonder if he's changed the name of his ship with his new outlook on life.
BATTLEMASTER

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #68 on: 21 January 2022, 13:20:05 »
The ship name hasn’t changed - Firespray is the model.  It’d be like Han saying “I’ll get the princess out on my YT-1300.”  Different, but not incorrect.

Disney has apparently decided to emphasize the model name over the ship name, but I don’t believe it’s been formally retconned.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 21 January 2022, 14:57:32 »
I does make some sense that he refers to his ship differently with his new outlook. It also depends how he feels about the ship. Does he love it as much as Han loved the Falcon? Or is it just a ship?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #70 on: 21 January 2022, 15:03:12 »
I don’t think he ever even says the name Slave-1 onscreen in any movie, streaming show, or animated series (he makes a few appearances in Clone Wars).  As Lando said in Robot Chicken Star Wars: Nice ship.  Not crazy about the name, though…
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: 22 January 2022, 14:27:01 »
Why would it even be called Slave I anyway?  That would imply there is a Slave II or a Slave Zero.  Like how the Leopard 1 wasn't referred to as a Leopard 1 until the Leopard 2 came out.

All I can figure it that the writers at the time thought it sounded cool.  Although I think that the ship's model being called a Firespray sounds pretty mean, like a flying machine gun.  Although it kinda is a flying machine gun with other toys attached  >:D

I wouldn't mind if the name was retconned - I think Slave I (or just Slave?) is a lousy name for the ship anyway.  I'd think a name emphasizing a hunt would be better.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2022, 14:30:16 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER

Death_from_above

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: 22 January 2022, 14:34:54 »

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 22 January 2022, 16:27:22 »
Actually..

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Slave_II

Yep, I remember reading about that ship in a book I got a long time ago.  Though does that mean his ship was just named Slave, then?   ;D
BATTLEMASTER

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 22 January 2022, 16:37:57 »
If Disney is going to rebrand a cold hearted bounty hunter as a new sympathetic face of Disney, you bet they will officially name the ship something other than a symbol of obvious oppression.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #75 on: 22 January 2022, 19:42:54 »
Actually..

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Slave_II

To be fair this ship was only thing in Dark Horse comic books and not canon.
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #76 on: 23 January 2022, 12:15:12 »
I don't recall if the name Slave-I was ever used in actual canon products (novelizations of the movies, any of the TV shows, etc). But anything that was name-dropped in the Legends EU is suspect, until it is incorporated into the new EU materials (all of which are canon). My instinct says that Boba Fett's ship does not currently have a canon name.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 23 January 2022, 13:57:31 »
I believe if my nerd memory is correct in the the EU there was Slave I, Jango and Boba ship; Slave II Boba; Slave III Boba; and Slave IV Boba and his daughter?? ship

Slave I was stolen from a prison planet, were it was part of the security force.

and I believe Slave 1 is the ship official canon name..  Maybe it time to retire her and get a new ship with a new name.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #78 on: 23 January 2022, 17:33:15 »
I believe if my nerd memory is correct in the the EU there was Slave I, Jango and Boba ship; Slave II Boba; Slave III Boba; and Slave IV Boba and his daughter?? ship

Slave I was stolen from a prison planet, were it was part of the security force.

and I believe Slave 1 is the ship official canon name..  Maybe it time to retire her and get a new ship with a new name.

From what I understand the name Slave I name is going to be renamed to something a little better for the current times.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships just passed the 566 Battlemechs I now own.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: 23 January 2022, 19:06:29 »

I remember Slave 1 from the toy line in the 80's. Pretty sure it was the canon name for the ship.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #80 on: 23 January 2022, 19:25:30 »
Right, but when Disney took over, they declared that, outside of the films and the animated series (Filoni’s Clone Wars, not Tartakovsky’s), nothing made prior to their stewardship could be considered canon.  That shifted the whole EU into “legends” status.

Given that new definition of canon, I don’t think the term Slave-1 has been used in the subset of products included.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #81 on: 24 January 2022, 15:01:46 »
Seeing him use his ship to blow away the biker gang made it worth it
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

BirdDog

• Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 24 January 2022, 16:32:30 »
Why would it even be called Slave I anyway?  That would imply there is a Slave II or a Slave Zero.  Like how the Leopard 1 wasn't referred to as a Leopard 1 until the Leopard 2 came out.

All I can figure it that the writers at the time thought it sounded cool.  Although I think that the ship's model being called a Firespray sounds pretty mean, like a flying machine gun.  Although it kinda is a flying machine gun with other toys attached  >:D

I wouldn't mind if the name was retconned - I think Slave I (or just Slave?) is a lousy name for the ship anyway.  I'd think a name emphasizing a hunt would be better.

Probably 'cause it sounded cool in the 80's - in more recent times it was named Slave I by Jango, likely because prior to him acquiring it he had been defeated and sold into slavery.  Slave I was one of six prototype Firesprays, the other five were destroyed along with Jango's ship, so he took the remaining craft and renamed it Slave I.

Disney stated about a year ago that going forward, "Slave I" would no longer be the ships name.  All new products since that announcement, including BoBF, refer to it only as either it's model (Firespray-class) or "Boba Fett's Starship".

It's been a Firespray-class many, many years...since before Disney's acquisition, so I'm glad they at least made that much canon instead of just making up an entirely new model name along with getting rid of it's old moniker.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
« Reply #83 on: 24 January 2022, 20:42:55 »
I didn't know that Boba didn't inherit Jango's ship.  It makes me wonder if it came in that red, brown and green and Boba just painted his dad's armor to match  :D

I guess the ship doesn't need a name.  I don't have a name for my car  xp
BATTLEMASTER

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 24 January 2022, 22:53:54 »
I didn't know that Boba didn't inherit Jango's ship.  It makes me wonder if it came in that red, brown and green and Boba just painted his dad's armor to match  :D

to be fair, boba fett is way cooler than you (or any of us)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #85 on: 24 January 2022, 22:59:42 »

I think you misinterpreted the above description.  Jango had another ship originally.  It was destroyed along with five of the six Firesprays.  Jango took the remaining Firespray and called it Slave I.  Boba inherited that ship.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: 25 January 2022, 09:15:49 »
Good on both points now (yeah he is way cooler than me, as a bounty hunter anyway ;D), thanks  :thumbsup:
BATTLEMASTER

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 25 January 2022, 11:24:40 »
Someone elsewhere reminded me of the last episode. I really didn't like the costume design of the swoop/biker gang or the look of the mods' hover scooters. Way too much, and too obvious, Earth pop-culture reference for my taste. The Mandalorian's wild west references feel much more subtle. These were just too on the nose.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #88 on: 26 January 2022, 07:07:18 »
Ok, they had a freaking Dyson Ring on the newest episode!

Oh and is anyone really surprised the first “muscle” Fennic got was Mandi?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #89 on: 26 January 2022, 09:20:41 »
Ok, they had a freaking Dyson Ring on the newest episode!

Something we haven't seen in Star Wars yet. I approve!  :thumbsup:

Oh and is anyone really surprised the first “muscle” Fennic got was Mandi?

Not when his theme began playing at the end of the last episode.

It seems the new compartment in the droid socket is the perfect size for Grogu.

Lots to like about this episode.   :popcorn:
I have spoken.