Register Register

Author Topic: Transformers: Rise of the Beasts trailer  (Read 2753 times)

garhkal

• Major
Re: Transformers: Rise of the Beasts trailer
« Reply #60 on: 05 December 2022, 16:03:22 »
Yeah, I'd much prefer the N.E.S.T. route the Bay Films took, where humanity creates weapons and tactics to aid the Autobots in their fight, may~be developed into a Diaclone Brigade esk outfit given enough tech development.

If I were to go the "Powermaster" route, I'd have it that some humans possess a special psychic power that has a synergistic catalytic effect on Energon, and are basically plugged into Transformers like Minicons to act as Superchargers for their Energon power systems.
On the Nest route, i loved how well they gelled in T2 and even T3..  On the powermaster route, i never really Liked that part of the XX master portion of transformers comics..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Whiteagle

• Private
« Reply #61 on: 05 December 2022, 16:52:53 »
Of course, but Hasbro wasn't involved at all with most of those characters and didn't try to import them to the US.  On the flip side, Takara never imported many of the Target Masters or Pretenders.  Or the Action Masters but I think we can probably agree that that was for the best.
They actually did import some of the Target Masters and Pretenders though...

On the Nest route, i loved how well they gelled in T2 and even T3.. 
Yeah, it fits really well with how things go when the Transformers team up groups like GI Joe, and like I said easily leads to humans creating a DIA~CLONE brigade like Organization down the road.

On the powermaster route, i never really Liked that part of the XX master portion of transformers comics..
Well like I was inferring earlier, a lot of that probably stems from dividing one character into two, which isn't great in the already character dense narrative of the Transformers.

Still, being a Power Booster works if you NEED an excuse to "GET IN THE DAMN ROBOT, SPIKE!"

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 06 December 2022, 21:01:19 »
A Cliffjumper that doesn’t immediately get killed (oh wait…too late).

A real Jetfire/Skyfire.

Wonder what they could do with Trypticon and Metroplex?

Or the original Predacons, the combiner version that united to form Predaking?

Ruger
considering jetfire/skyfire in the old F14/veritech (macross) styling was one of my favorite transformers I really didn't like how bay turned him into a sr71, and then killed him in 2 min to give prime an "upgrade:

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 07 December 2022, 01:35:39 »
HE was (in toy form) one of the Largest jets too..

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #64 on: 07 December 2022, 01:41:47 »
He was a straight up import of a Macross action figure.  Which was why he never got reissued and the cartoon and comic book versions of him looked nothing like the toy.  It's all the fault of The Company That Shall Not Be Named!

At least he got a really sweet figure in the Siege toyline.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Whiteagle

• Private
« Reply #65 on: 07 December 2022, 06:05:47 »
I prefer my Cyberverse version since it isn't gigantic and can still take GERWALK mode.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #66 on: 07 December 2022, 10:20:38 »
He was a straight up import of a Macross action figure.  Which was why he never got reissued and the cartoon and comic book versions of him looked nothing like the toy.  It's all the fault of The Company That Shall Not Be Named!

Autobot named Whirl is similar case as his G1 toy was taken from toyline for anime called Dorvack.
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 07 December 2022, 10:26:16 »
Roadbuster is from Dorvack as well

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 07 December 2022, 11:23:14 »
And since the company that made Dorvack was a competitor of Takara's, Whirl and Roadbuster never showed up in the cartoon at all and their only comic book appearance was in the Transformers UK, where their toys were never sold.

There was actually a third toy in that toyline but Hasbro chose not to turn it into a Transformers character.  It was a tank that turned into... a very questionable pile of parts that somewhat resembled a humanoid robot.  I think it's easy to see why he didn't make the cut.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #69 on: 07 December 2022, 12:17:27 »
HE was (in toy form) one of the Largest jets too..

I'd say the largest of the early ones by far.

He was my largest Transformer for sure.

My friend had Omega Supreme & Blaster that were both bigger IIRC but I seem to recall him towering over Prime & even my combined-Devastator or close anyway.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 07 December 2022, 13:09:39 »
I always felt jetfire/skyfire had one of the better backstories in that he was "technically" a decepticon (when all the transformers that had a true flying mode were decepticons) but he really aligned better with the autobot ideals (his big thing that got him out of a lot of the war was he was really an explorer, but he was a "friend" of starscream prior to starscream going all decepticon power hungry and wanting to upgrade himself from a lieutenant to the leader

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #71 on: 07 December 2022, 14:08:04 »
Just as an aside, it looks like Dorvack is available on Youtube subbed...

I used to love the Dorvack kits, especially the battle armor.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 07 December 2022, 14:35:01 »
I always felt jetfire/skyfire had one of the better backstories in that he was "technically" a decepticon (when all the transformers that had a true flying mode were decepticons) but he really aligned better with the autobot ideals (his big thing that got him out of a lot of the war was he was really an explorer, but he was a "friend" of starscream prior to starscream going all decepticon power hungry and wanting to upgrade himself from a lieutenant to the leader

Based on the UK comics, Shockwave made him, and since the creation matrix had been drained, from Optimus to make the constructicons before, he programmed Jetfire to hunt down Spike Witwicky, to get it..  BUT Spike turned the tables iirc, and deconstructed Jetfire, then reprogrammed him...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #73 on: 07 December 2022, 17:36:12 »
newer takes tend to go with the idea that he was one of Megatron's earlier followers, when Megatron's little rebellion against cybertron's unequal ruling government was actually a noble thing and doing good. and then just remained ignorant of how that ideal corrupted into the terrorism and authoritarianism that defined the Decepticons as we see them. then he has a "are we the baddies?" moment when asked to do too many things in short succession that went against his personal code of honor, turning to the Autobots because the autobots actually seemed to live up to that same code.

(these takes also tend to have the autobots develop from the same rebellion against a corrupt cybertronian society.. with a sort of Saw Guerra vs Bail Organa type split over  methodology and end goals.. the decepticons being quick to resort to terror and violence to acheive their goals, and envisioning a final result being a sort of authoritarian regime "for the good of the people", while the autobots being much more idealistic, preferring to use less violent means, and envisioning a more equitable and equal society that p[reserved the better parts of cybertron's traditional culture.)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 07 December 2022, 18:48:10 »
Newer takes on Jetfire also tend to center on his role as a scientist, which the G1 stuff tended to ignore because the Autobots already had Wheeljack.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 07 December 2022, 19:29:41 »
Based on the UK comics, Shockwave made him, and since the creation matrix had been drained, from Optimus to make the constructicons before, he programmed Jetfire to hunt down Spike Witwicky, to get it..  BUT Spike turned the tables iirc, and deconstructed Jetfire, then reprogrammed him...

That was the original Marvel comics origin for him. And I still have his figure (missing the accessories though), and he was bigger than most, though Omega Supreme, Metroplex and Trypticon were bigger iirc.

As to Whirl and Roadbuster, I actually had both of them when growing up.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 08 December 2022, 02:14:17 »
The ones i had as a kid

All the Aerial bots, Seacons and Stunticons (i also think i had most for Combaticons but can't remember).

For autobots, i had Inferno, Ironhide and ratchet, Jazz, Blue streak, Hotrod and side swipe, for the main cars.

For decipticon jets, i had Dirg, Scourge, and Thrust.

Of the dino bots, i only had Sludge and Snarl..  Could never find Slag or Grimlock in the stores when i was interested in buying them..

For the Insecticons i only had Kickback and Shrapnel.

I had BOTH Jump starters (twin twist and topspin).

FOr leaders i had the OG megatron, Galvitron, Rodimus prime, Optimus prime.

For the Mini-cars, i had Bumblebee, cliff jumpter, Brawn, Cosmos, Huffer and Outback.

For decipticon cassettes i had, the main four, Frenzy, Rumble, Ravage and Lazerbeak, and Ratbat. 

For autobot cassetes i had Ramhorn and Rewind.

On pretenders, i had Bomburst, Carnivac and cloud burst.

Those are the ones i remember..  I also had metroplex...  Man was he big.  BUT from what i remember, Fortress maximus was larger as a toy..

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 08 December 2022, 02:22:19 »
Yeah, Fortress Maximus was the largest Transformers toy ever made until the Thrilling 30 Metroplex toy was released, who was then exceeded by Titans Return Fortress Maximus (who was a rather lame retool of Thrilling 30 Metroplex), who was then exceeded by the Haslab G1 Unicron toy.

I had a bunch of different Transformers as a kid.  Pepsi Optimus Prime was probably the most impressive.  Definitely the rarest.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #78 on: 08 December 2022, 07:50:19 »
Yeah, Fortress Maximus was the largest Transformers toy ever made until the Thrilling 30 Metroplex toy was released, who was then exceeded by Titans Return Fortress Maximus (who was a rather lame retool of Thrilling 30 Metroplex), who was then exceeded by the Haslab G1 Unicron toy.

I had a bunch of different Transformers as a kid.  Pepsi Optimus Prime was probably the most impressive.  Definitely the rarest.
Yes, that's true Fortress Maximus was the largest.

Unicorn is likely the most expensive I think.

« Last Edit: 08 December 2022, 07:52:38 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 08 December 2022, 10:25:14 »
Unicron is the most expensive Transformers figure made by Hasbro.  The auto-transforming Optimus Prime robot is the most expensive Transformer ever made.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 08 December 2022, 10:39:15 »
The ones i had as a kid 
Much larger collection than I had.  TF were basically the last toy I collected before boxing/selling my toys.

Decepticons:
Skywarp
SoundWave & like 3-5 cassettes.  (Not Ravage or the later animal ones)
Constructicons (Devastator)
The pointy nosed Insecticon (My least favorite Decepticon, regretted it)

Autobots:
Optimus Prime
Jetfire
Grimlock
I think 5-6 of the baby cars (Bumble Bee, etc, etc)  They were only $3 so I could afford them.
3 of the Mid-Sized models.   Jazz, Prowl, & Mirage

For sheer nostalgia I'd love to still have all but the Insecticon for the bad guys and the top 3 Autobots + Bumble Bee but alas, I sold them all after we moved.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 08 December 2022, 15:48:15 »

For sheer nostalgia I'd love to still have all but the Insecticon for the bad guys and the top 3 Autobots + Bumble Bee but alas, I sold them all after we moved.

One of the guys i knew in the 80s growing up, collected damn near ALL the G1 series, till the late 90s.  He said had he sold them back then, when his WIFE pestered him to do so, he'd have lost out on some cool-factor AND a lorra dosh, as he DID sell them mid 2006-07 area..  He made a good 200% over what he spent...

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 08 December 2022, 16:06:14 »
He made a good 200% over what he spent...

Ugh, if only.

My horror story of child hood toys was selling all my StarWars to buy GI.Joe & Transformers, and then, selling all those to my cousin for $95 for his kids.  (It was supposed to be $100 but he shorted me)

So to sum up, nearly all of the original SW toys to include stuff like the Millennium Falcon ended up being $95 to a 14 YO kid who probably blew it on useless crap only to discover it was worth a LOT more like a year later.

I actually saw one of my childhood friends who moved away in like 3rd grade when we were finally Freshman at the same Highschool & he asked me if I still had the SW stuff.
I was like No, and he told me had just had a guy offer to buy his stuff at like $5 per Figure & $50 for the "Barbie Doll" sized ones.
I kind of wanted to cry when I thout of how many SW figures I had & sold them for .50 cents each at a Yard Sale.

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 09 December 2022, 01:09:42 »
At least it wasn't like what happened with one of my other friends..  HIS MOTHER tossed OUT (into the trash), HIS toy collection, when he went off to Saudi for a 2 yr tour at the AFB there..  Man was he peeved..

I've heard of a few other folk, who had similar happen to them.  One with his comic collection, which his WIFE tossed out, when he went off to A-school for HIS military career.. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 09 December 2022, 02:04:08 »
At least it wasn't like what happened with one of my other friends..  HIS MOTHER tossed OUT (into the trash), HIS toy collection, when he went off to Saudi for a 2 yr tour at the AFB there..  Man was he peeved..

I've heard of a few other folk, who had similar happen to them.  One with his comic collection, which his WIFE tossed out, when he went off to A-school for HIS military career.. 

You mean ex-wife, right?

(Not actually joking here, that's a massive breach of trust on her part.)

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #85 on: 09 December 2022, 10:08:15 »
My dad had a large collection of DC comics from the '50s & early '60s. When he went away to college, my grandmother threw them all out in the trash. They'd be worth a fortune today.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 09 December 2022, 17:06:31 »
You mean ex-wife, right?

(Not actually joking here, that's a massive breach of trust on her part.)

Unfortunately, no.  HE did not divorce her, that i know of at least.. 
Knew one guy, who's wife did that to HIS comic collection (all first issue DC comics) AND YES that guy did divorce her..

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 18 December 2022, 13:47:57 »

No, my mom did that with the original Atari 2600 we had.
Not like we used it anymore, but, when I got back from the Army & got my own apartment to go to college, I went looking for it & she didn't know what she'd done w/ it.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #88 on: 22 December 2022, 23:47:38 »
I loved the tweet he put out, can't find it right now, but he said;

"When Optimus transforms 'em; they stay transformed!"

I was like: yes, Ron; that was the essence of the driving issue behind the plot of Beast Wars, thank you.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #89 on: 24 December 2022, 10:14:38 »
Well, Transformers back in the day of G1 had issues too.  ;D

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register