Register Register

Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 101470 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #1170 on: 09 July 2022, 07:05:11 »
I finished Immune, and have started Thomas Rid's Active Measures.  It's no less interesting, but entirely Rule 4...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1171 on: 09 July 2022, 10:10:31 »
Is this in a compilation of short stories? I have loved this series for a while

No, it's just one new story.  But it's available through Kindle Unlimited.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1172 on: 09 July 2022, 10:14:10 »
Reading the Date A Live light novels; amazing how much was left out from the Anime; which was expected but some background info that would have helped explain a few things should have been added.
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1173 on: 09 July 2022, 14:33:21 »
Picked up volume 2 of Elfquest: Stargazer’s Hunt yesterday. Been waiting for that series to be completed for some time.

Also have started on Redemption Rites.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Akamia

• Lieutenant
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #1174 on: 11 July 2022, 10:11:19 »
Started Betrayal of Ideals this morning.

Wanted to learn more about Clan Wolverine; figured there are few better ways to do so than to read a novel in which they appear.
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1175 on: 11 July 2022, 14:16:34 »
Betrayal of Ideals is kind of a weird place in the canon.  It doesn't really mesh well with stuff that was written before or after it.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

ProfessorMRB

• Private
  • Not that kind of Doctor
« Reply #1176 on: 15 July 2022, 14:28:31 »
I just finished Jessamine Chan's The School for Good Mothers which is awesome and terrifying and I'm working my way through Jane McGonigal's new book Imaginable (a brilliant futurist, author of Reality is Broken, one of the best academic texts ever about video games).

I also just read the Carlyle's Commandos short story "Eyestorm" by William H. Keith from the AGoAC boxed set (nice touch, CGL!) and it sent me back to my old taped-together copies of the Gray Death Legion books from the 90s, a delightful nostalgia-cocoon and a reminder that one never loves anything the quite same way as the stuff one loves when they're 12.
What stands in the way, becomes the way.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1177 on: 15 July 2022, 18:49:38 »
Empire Alone

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Akamia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1178 on: 23 July 2022, 21:03:46 »
Just finished Betrayal of Ideals. ;D Now I am beginning Mercenary's Honor.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2022, 21:21:22 by Akamia »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
« Reply #1179 on: 23 July 2022, 21:24:17 »
Django Wexler and Brian McClellan have become favorites.   Just finished Ashes of the Sun, Wexler, followed by In the Shadow of Lightning, McClellan. Two excellent beginnings to new series from each of them.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets]

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1180 on: 23 July 2022, 23:00:55 »
cixin ciu
the 3 body problem trilogy...as i hear it there is now 4th book
i had not read the books yet so no spoilers save one is it good?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1181 on: 31 July 2022, 13:00:34 »
I had Nick Cutter's works recommended to me. So, I picked up "The Troop", "The Deep", and "Little Heaven". Finished the first two novels: "The Troop" I really enjoyed, but, "The Deep" I really didn't care for that one as much. It was a slog for me to finish up. Hopefully "Little Heaven" will be more enjoyable for me.

Clan Ghost Bear Beta & Rho Galaxies (3050, 3150)
3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau Galaxy

Akamia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1182 on: 31 July 2022, 15:28:45 »
Reading Ideal War right now.

I seem to be on a streak with BattleTech reading at the moment. This is my third book in a row. ;D

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1183 on: 31 July 2022, 17:06:03 »
Currently reading The Dawn of Yangchen, before the next Mercy Thompson series novel comes out in a few weeks. Will likely delve into one of the BTech or Srun novels I’m behind on once I finish off this one before the other gets here.

Ruger

Akamia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1184 on: 05 August 2022, 13:31:20 »
Finished Ideal War, and now I'm moving on to Wolves on the Border.

4-streak for BattleTech reading! Think I'll close the streak with A Rock and a Hard Place and Hunting Season, then go read something else for a while. ;D I love BattleTech books, but in focusing so hard on these novels, novellas, and short story anthologies, I have neglected somewhat my other favorite reading pasttime: crossover fanfiction. :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1185 on: 05 August 2022, 17:24:16 »
Cannonshop has done some of those too, and I can't recommend them highly enough!  :thumbsup:

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1186 on: 05 August 2022, 18:44:34 »
I'm reading the Leviathans anthology that was released last year.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1187 on: 07 August 2022, 05:12:38 »
cixin ciu
the 3 body problem trilogy...as i hear it there is now 4th book
i had not read the books yet so no spoilers save one is it good?

First book, brilliant.
Second book, frustrating but good.
Third book, nope, didn't do it for me.

His short story collections are good.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • Keep your friends close, and your vodka closer
    • My personal blog (BattleTech fiction, original fiction, SF book and movie reviews)
« Reply #1188 on: 15 August 2022, 21:18:27 »
"Abbott Abides". Neither SF nor military so maybe not this forum's target market, but it's a wonderful look at what it's like to be a dad. Doesn't sugarcoat anything, but does try to find meaning in the little moments of an average day, which I found delightful.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4) and "Undefeated" (Shrapnel #10)
BattleTech stories:
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Mynameisdoubleg/works?fandom_id=51921204
Reviews:
https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.jp/

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1189 on: 18 August 2022, 21:38:07 »
Teaching a Law and Society course this fall for the first time and have been wading through Lawrence M Friedman’s tome A History of American Law

Prospernia

• Sergeant
« Reply #1190 on: 18 August 2022, 23:17:15 »
A book on Greek-history with emphasis on the Mycenae and their palace-system.   

Teaching a Law and Society course this fall for the first time and have been wading through Lawrence M Friedman’s tome A History of American Law

I recall only having maybe and lecture or two on the history of American-law in law-school. 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1191 on: 19 August 2022, 00:38:02 »
my graduate work focused a good deal on the intersection of law and how seemingly powerless or disadvantaged individuals learned to use legal systems to their advantage. it's a bit of a professional obsession

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #1192 on: 19 August 2022, 00:41:05 »
No, it's just one new story.  But it's available through Kindle Unlimited.

I totally missed this, thanks.

I picked up and read The Last Blade Priest by WP Wiles
I enjoyed it, it took a while to build the world before stuff started to make sense.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1193 on: 19 August 2022, 11:27:22 »
I'm bouncing between Tartine Bread, Firepower: A History of the American Heavy Tank by Hunnicut, and the Code Book by Singh
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #1194 on: 22 August 2022, 09:45:26 »
Finished Divided We Fall.  This one was better than Forever Faithful but that is such a low bar that it is not funny.  I'd give it a solid 6/10.  The way things transpired are more believable but it still has an air of doing more telling than showing and being forced into a particular end result that keeps it from being as good as it could be.

Also a good chunk into the Price of Glory right now.  I have a pretty major problem with it.  Paint is cheap.  As scarce as mechs are in the point of the timeline the story takes place it still would not be that difficult to get the right ones.  So it just comes across weird that people who should be quite familiar with false flag attacks are coming down so hard on Carlyle and are not showing at least a little doubt.  Even in the worst case scenario it'd take some damn politically reliable units to condemn people that can't possibly have done anything wrong and come down on them as hard as they did.

So yeah my exploration of Battletech novels is going poorly.  The best of them have been at best okay.  Nothing great or special.  A few now are just downright terrible.

Akamia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1195 on: 22 August 2022, 10:12:12 »
Just finished Wolves on the Border and started A Rock and a Hard Place.

I see Wolf's Dragoons has a pattern of declaring war on employers who (apparently, at least) stabbed them in the back during their contracts. ;D

BattleTech fiction streak: 5

Also a good chunk into the Price of Glory right now.  I have a pretty major problem with it.  Paint is cheap.  As scarce as mechs are in the point of the timeline the story takes place it still would not be that difficult to get the right ones.
Wouldn't it, though? The specific variants they're using?

Without much in the way of an alibi, I'd actually argue it's pretty convincing for the GDL to get framed in this manner. Your mileage may vary, though.

I will say that I find I enjoy more recent BT work over most of the older stuff, regardless of what era they took place in. Redemption Rites so far has been my favorite, followed by The Price of Duty and Mercenary's Honor. Incidentally, all three of those were written by Jason Schmetzer...

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #1196 on: 22 August 2022, 10:26:25 »

I see Wolf's Dragoons has a pattern of declaring war on employers who (apparently, at least) stabbed them in the back during their contracts. ;D

BattleTech fiction streak: 5
Wouldn't it, though? The specific variants they're using?

Without much in the way of an alibi, I'd actually argue it's pretty convincing for the GDL to get framed in this manner. Your mileage may vary, though.

I will say that I find I enjoy more recent BT work over most of the older stuff, regardless of what era they took place in. Redemption Rites so far has been my favorite, followed by The Price of Duty and Mercenary's Honor. Incidentally, all three of those were written by Jason Schmetzer...

The GDL doesn't use special variants, so no it still would not be too difficult to frame them.

But to add more context the Steiner and Davion spies fairly early on that Carlyle meets with are exactly the sort of people who should have at least a little doubt.  And the Legion and their dependents on Helm clearly could not have participated in such activities and as such sure they should be watched, scrutinized, and maybe then because of the inexperience of the Legion officer left in charge of Helm tragedy could still strike growing out of miscommunications and other mis-steps for this situation and maybe they'll get into that later in the novel than where I'm at but I kind of doubt it since I'm already at a point where a survivor has given at least partial perspective and none of this was actually hinted at as it seems the FWLM just came in gung ho guns blazing from what's been stated in the novel so far.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1197 on: 23 August 2022, 10:48:35 »

I thought that was the GDL's shtick...
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Akamia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1198 on: 23 August 2022, 14:18:10 »
I thought that was the GDL's shtick...

The GDL didn't kick the crap out of any FWL subfactions for holding their civilians hostage while they were working for them. That was the Wolf's Dragoons.

Grayson Carlyle didn't go up to Takashi Kurita at Hanse and Melissa's wedding after a friend of the unit committed seppuku for fighting them on orders from a Warlord trying a somewhat similar trick as the FWL above and failing, and tell him directly that they were now at war. That was Jaime Wolf.

The GDL didn't declare war on Clan Wolf after getting their numbers absolutely savaged at the Battle of Terra and telling them to shove it. That was the Wolf's Dragoons under Hack Kincaid. I'm not even sure how the dates line up, but I'm pretty sure there was no GDL at all at the time. :P

Now, did the (first generation) GDL get betrayed by employers before? I only know of one case so far, and that was the FWL going after their people on Helm – there may be more cases in the later books of the saga, but I haven't read them yet – whereas other betrayals were turncoats or double agents who were working for the enemy from the start. ;D And that one betrayal didn't send Carlyle on the warpath the way Wolf's Dragoons tends to go.
« Last Edit: 23 August 2022, 14:24:33 by Akamia »

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1199 on: 24 August 2022, 08:36:30 »
The GDL didn't kick the crap out of any FWL subfactions for holding their civilians hostage while they were working for them. That was the Wolf's Dragoons.
Forgot about that one.
Grayson Carlyle didn't go up to Takashi Kurita at Hanse and Melissa's wedding after a friend of the unit committed seppuku for fighting them on orders from a Warlord trying a somewhat similar trick as the FWL above and failing, and tell him directly that they were now at war. That was Jaime Wolf.
Dragoons made it clear to the Combine that they were through, Samsonov pursued them, and Wolf waited until the contract had expired, before he shot back.

The GDL didn't declare war on Clan Wolf after getting their numbers absolutely savaged at the Battle of Terra and telling them to shove it. That was the Wolf's Dragoons under Hack Kincaid. I'm not even sure how the dates line up, but I'm pretty sure there was no GDL at all at the time. :P
Haven't read that one.

Now, did the (first generation) GDL get betrayed by employers before? I only know of one case so far, and that was the FWL going after their people on Helm – there may be more cases in the later books of the saga, but I haven't read them yet – whereas other betrayals were turncoats or double agents who were working for the enemy from the start. ;D And that one betrayal didn't send Carlyle on the warpath the way Wolf's Dragoons tends to go.
They were betrayed by the planetary governor and the nominal employers in Blood of Heroes
Tactics of Duty saw them fighting Davion forces that worked for one cabal or another.
Operation Excalibur picks up right after and has the same cabal now laying siege to Glengarry.
I don't recall the Dying Time all that well but it was FedCom Civil war so it's debatable if they are fighting their nominal employer.