Register Register

Author Topic: What movies are we watching: Everything's being streamed  (Read 69296 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
Re: What movies are we watching: Everything's being streamed
« Reply #1380 on: 13 August 2022, 00:00:12 »
The explanation for AvP was that those were supposed to be young, unblooded Predators on their first hunt.  Or something like that.  But yeah, it was terrible all around.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #1381 on: 13 August 2022, 00:37:28 »
AvP: Just highlighted how incompetent the predators really are and makes one wonder how the hell they managed to develop space flight, let alone practical interstellar travel.

Those were bloodless ones getting their first hunt on, to test them..  That's why they were so incompetent...

AvP2: A little better but still seemed a bit off for the predator's competence.

He was a billy bad ass..  I LOVED how he ripped out the pred-alien's Tongue thinggy..

Covenant: Wow that crew was just way too trusting of David.  The only way the end makes sense is if Daniels just didn't know about Walter's self repair ability.

Covenant and the other one before it, i just found..  OFF...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #1382 on: 13 August 2022, 10:47:58 »
If it were just those three I could maybe buy that but it would still be a hard sell that it was a first hunt.  But that the ones that recovered the body at the end didn't even think to check if it had become infected?  That is just stupid.

Covenant, yeah I have the benefit of having watched Prometheus and knowing David cannot be trusted but still it seemed really weird that they trusted him so much in an unknown situation.  Then again their biohazard training was obviously extremely lax and if they had been properly geared up most of that movie probably would not have happened.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1383 on: 13 August 2022, 12:19:08 »
If it were just those three I could maybe buy that but it would still be a hard sell that it was a first hunt.  But that the ones that recovered the body at the end didn't even think to check if it had become infected?  That is just stupid.

Especially given that they repeatedly showed the helmets being used to scan for chestbursters.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #1384 on: 13 August 2022, 13:36:35 »
Maybe they thought the queen's TAIL through his chest, killed any possible chest burster he may have had.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #1385 on: 13 August 2022, 13:46:16 »
Why assume that though?  These things clearly know how to aim their strikes.  Thus not a stretch at all to think that they knew how to miss the embryo but still do lethal damage.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1386 on: 13 August 2022, 15:29:21 »
so i went old school
popeye with robin williams
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Triptych

• Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1387 on: 22 August 2022, 08:22:56 »
The Laughing Policeman (1973) Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern in a hardboiled detective story set in San Francisco. I never watched this one before so I checked it out. The plot is all over the place, but the actors are exceptional (Matthau is always good in whatever movie he's in) so it made it worthwhile. Rating: 7/10

The Sandman Season 1 (2022)
. Neil Gaiman's celebrated comic book series finally gets adapted. Not much suspense or surprises for me since I read the comics when I was a kid, and it's a fair adaptation. It's also somewhat tamer than the source material and leaves out many of the more gruesome scenes. Not the masterpiece everyone's gushing about, but still worth a watch. Rating: 6.5/10

Dark Winds S1 (2022) It's a detective story set in the 1970s, and in an American Indian reservation. I thought it was just OK. It's competently made, but it just feels like Ive seen it all before in many other shows. Not bad, but not great either. Rating: 6/10

Better Call Saul S6 (2022) I waited until all the episodes were available so I could binge watch it. BCS has been one of my fav shows in years, and I had high expectations for the finale and... I'm a little disappointed.

One of the annoying things was that the present day scenes were all filmed in black and white, and its a major contrast since the flashbacks were filmed in color. Also, the ending was sort of quiet compared to what I was hoping for. I can understand what the showrunners wanted to do for the character, but it sort of sucked the life out of what made Saul Goodman so fun to begin with. Rating: 6.5/10

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #1388 on: 22 August 2022, 14:02:17 »
After last week, watching replacement killers, i decided to grab a few other films with Jurgen Prochow in..  First up, all 3 beverly hills cops (he was in #2). then Judge dredd (the stallone one).. 

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1389 on: 24 August 2022, 21:12:18 »
finished watching top gun maverik
is it my imagination the majority of the movie was a remake of star wars the new hope?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #1390 on: 24 August 2022, 23:12:19 »
Was home for a few days on medical recovery.

Managed to see a few things on Netflix.

Lincoln Lawyer Season 1
Stranger Things Season 4
Umbrella Academy Season 3
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1391 on: 24 August 2022, 23:22:02 »
First up, all 3 beverly hills cops (he was in #2)
I think you mean he was NOT in #2?
He had a cameo in #1 & was a main character in #3

Love his 80's stuff,  BHC 1&2, Trading Places, & 48 Hours are hands down my favorite Eddie Murphy roles.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #1392 on: 24 August 2022, 23:46:25 »
No, prochnow was in BH cop 2, as Maxwell dent.  He didn't have any role in 1 or 3.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1393 on: 25 August 2022, 00:46:38 »
No, prochnow was in BH cop 2, as Maxwell dent.  He didn't have any role in 1 or 3. 

Doh, I'm an idiot, I read Jurgen Prochow but what popped in my head was Bronson Pinchot.

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #1394 on: 25 August 2022, 14:20:05 »
Isn't that the bald guy henchman in #1?

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1395 on: 26 August 2022, 00:24:18 »
No, He played the character Serge, he worked in an Art Shop that the bad guy owned in #1.
He came back for #3 as the same character but a bigger role in the film IIRC.

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #1396 on: 26 August 2022, 15:16:34 »
Ah.  Didn't know that was Serge (wasn't looking at the IMDB page).  I always liked his character.

Akamia

• Lieutenant
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #1397 on: 26 August 2022, 16:54:56 »
So I picked up where I left off on The Orville, since it's now on Disney+. I'm toward the end of the second season. Enjoying it so far!

I also gave National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets a re-watch today. Hadn't seen that in years. Still one of my favorite movies. ;D

Gonna have to set aside some cash to rent or buy Sonic the Hedgehog 2, though. I really want to see that, but I haven't found a good opportunity yet...
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1398 on: 28 August 2022, 23:45:49 »
ok little japaniese gore fest over the top that was ppular about 15 years back that had me laughing for a awhile best bit was the butt chainsaw and nose machine guns
mutant girls squad(2010)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1399 on: 29 August 2022, 02:35:48 »
Yes, that movie is stupidly dope.

PM sent...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1400 on: 29 August 2022, 08:19:02 »
So I picked up where I left off on The Orville, since it's now on Disney+. I'm toward the end of the second season. Enjoying it so far!
I tried the first episode or 2 of Orville during broadcast and it wasn't working for me. Youtube recently suggested a couple clips relating to Topa and I got interested.  I still find a lot of the humor tiresome, but its really getting back to what made TOS and Twilight Zone so good, namely the ability of speculative fiction to offer social commentary in a way that offers a level of distance from real world events.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Akamia

• Lieutenant
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #1401 on: 29 August 2022, 09:56:50 »
I tried the first episode or 2 of Orville during broadcast and it wasn't working for me. Youtube recently suggested a couple clips relating to Topa and I got interested.  I still find a lot of the humor tiresome, but its really getting back to what made TOS and Twilight Zone so good, namely the ability of speculative fiction to offer social commentary in a way that offers a level of distance from real world events.
I'll admit that the humor put me off at first, but the show grew on me very quickly besides. ;D I watched the first season on Hulu years ago when I shared an account with someone. That someone stopped paying before I could see the second season, and by then I had become busy with other things anyway.
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #1402 on: 30 August 2022, 16:53:21 »
Matrix Revolutions coming to Netflix on September 16.

Keen to watch it again to see the all the rferences I missed the first time round.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1403 on: 01 September 2022, 00:21:17 »
ok ow many here remember or even seen the the 70s series
planet of the apes

finally got my claws on it

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

elf25s

• Major

Triptych

• Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1406 on: 01 September 2022, 11:55:03 »
13 Lives (2022) Viggo Mortensen and Colin Farrel as two cave divers in this rescue thriller based on the true story of 13 kids trapped inside a flooded cave in Thailand. It's a good movie, though I think the documentary is better. Rating: 7.5/10

The Outsider (2021) Based on the Stephen King book, about an accused child killer who seems to have a perfect alibi: he was in another place when the murder happened. Its a bit of a slow burn, but it has some good hard-boiled elements. My other pet peeve is that the lighting is so dark, you can barely see what's going on. Rating: 7/10

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #1407 on: 01 September 2022, 15:14:55 »
Dune out today! Watching it now....

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #1408 on: 01 September 2022, 15:58:36 »
13 Lives (2022) Viggo Mortensen and Colin Farrel as two cave divers in this rescue thriller based on the true story of 13 kids trapped inside a flooded cave in Thailand. It's a good movie, though I think the documentary is better. Rating: 7.5/10

I like films of that nature, such as "The 33", with antonio Banderas, about that Chillian mine collapse.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #1409 on: 01 September 2022, 19:42:22 »
Dune out today! Watching it now....

What’s it streaming on?
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Register