Register Register

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
But if the definition of jump point in Decision at Thunder Rift — an area [plane] several tens of thousands of kilometers across [call it a 40,000km diameter circle] — encapsulates the volume of practically all jumpship arrivals, then it is possible to mine that. 

The use of the word "area" is colloquial. Jump points are not flat surfaces - large invasion fleets have arrived in three-dimensional groups. Given the minimum spacing of 27 kilometers from core to core (and the 5000-meter radius of error) this necessarily means stretching far beyond a few kilometers.

Also, JumpShips can clear out "kilograms" of mass in their arrival space. My estimate of a milligram per cubic meter is incorrect. Approximating a JumpShip as a 500-meter long, 100-meter diameter cylinder, it'd take a gram per cubic meter to reach several kilograms.

I no longer have the astrodynamics chops to calculate this, but since I’m describing disks, I wonder if they could be made stable over much longer timeframes using larger bodies as shepherds, like Saturn’s rings.  Electrostatic forces or fields could also stabilize the debris planes.

It's not the shape that's an issue, it's gravity. At a G2V's proximity limit, stellar gravity is 5.9 x 10^-5 m/s/s. Since proximity limit points including standard points are not in orbit, stuff there falls. In 1 day, a cloud of debris at rest will cross 220 kilometers. In one week, it will fall 10,795 kilometers.

Alternately, a crude in-system mass driver could deliver the required mass on a regular basis for probably a small fraction of the cost of dropship delivery.

That would require tossing mass hundreds of millions or billions of kilometers (1.5 billion kilometers in the case of a G2V like Sol). The muzzle velocity required means such material would pass through a 2-kilometer thick jump sheet in seconds, or a 10,000-kilometer diameter jump volume in minutes.
Interesting. I used the same kind of decease/virus to kill the last of the Wolverines in my story. Long, stealthy, incubation time, with high propagation/contamination probability, and 100% killing rate. Nasty stuff.
Is this the only case of a project phoenix and a classic both appearing in the rec guide series?

Yes
A lot.

The standard heavy mechs built in the TC are the Marauder, Archer, Warhammer and Thunderbolt.
All are in heavy use with the Wolf Dragoons, with one or the other having been mentioned a few times in their collective Lore. Wolf and Natasha themselves personally use the Archer and Warhammer respectively.

As for spare parts:
It goes without saying that any component used in the above (PPCs, Large Lasers, LRM-20s, LRM-15s) along with others like heavy autocannons will be available.

Project 3000 also means that the TC has a glut of spare parts for 30-ton machines like the Falcon. One of them is even a match for the Falcon in movement profile and half the weapons loadout. There should also still be excess production from the decommissioned 20 ton production lines for the 20-ton Flea.

And the TC is one of the few nations that maintain production of 220 and 225 rated fusion engines such as those that power the Hoplite. Another Dragoon mainstay.
Finding the BT box set in a book store is where I got my start in battletech.
Huh?  Reread my post.  It’s only the equivalent of the payloads of 2 to 20 Behemoth dropships.  Multiply that by 3 for the zenith, nadir, and nearby “L1” pirate point and you’ve covered the major approaches to the system.

Those amounts are fractions of annual gravel production in single states in the US today.  So unless the economy of the OP’s system can’t manage a fraction of the gravel output of a minor 21st century Terran political unit, the amount of “slag” required is a non-issue.

So is the energy required.  Thanks to magical fusion drives, dropships routinely move millions of tons of payload from planetary surfaces to zenith/nadir points and back, multiple times, all the time, on very modest amounts of hydrogen fuel.

And as I wrote, if low tens of dropship trips are stumbling blocks, then go with lower-tech mass drivers on a moon or two.

No, the masses I calculated are measured in the millions — 1000000x —of tons.  Earth’s moon has a mass of 81000000000000000000 tons.

I’m only covering the areas of jump points where nearly all jumpships arrive, as defined in Decision at Thunder Rift.  That doesn’t require the dismantling of planetary bodies.

Other folks in this thread calculated what it would take to cover a much large jump area than that.   They’re right that does require the dismantling of planetary bodies.

But that’s not what I’m doing.  I’m mining the Straits of Hormuz, not the entire Persian Gulf (for example).

If the OP doesn’t have hyperspace Wall technology, suicidal jumpships to sacrifice, aerofighter/assault dropship fleets, or swarms of drone smallcraft, then this, or something like this, is the alternative.  Any of those other defenses takes higher tech or many more resources than using cargo dropships to strew debris in strategic locations.

This is different from a fortification that an invader can see and understand.  Here, the invader doesn’t know what happened to their jumpships and dropships after they jump.  They just know that they didn’t come back.  That changes the calculus.

Because I cover likely but not possible approaches, an invader could keep trying until they figure it out.  But only the most determined and well-resourced invader could take that pain without stopping.

And again, that assumes an invader doesn’t jump their entire fleet at once, as usually depicted.

Smart invaders don't bring their force into the front door, Natasha.  They come in outside the jump limit and take pictures first-the main body only comes through after you've done your due diligence.

you know, the 'Scout' part of the Scout jumpship?

or why they call it a 'pirate' point and not a 'nonstandard'.  Invaders that jump in blind, get Case Whitened, and that's without needing to get your fine dust to disperse broadly enough to cover the area you're talking aobut, which includes three, not two, dimensions. (x, y, and Z) so your volume calcs are..well, wrong.  to get your effect with the tonnages you want, you need a pretty even distribution, and space doesn't have air currents, but objects (even dust) do have gravity and want to clump together.

so you'll have to charge your dust, and you'll have to do it in a way that it won't flip poles and pull together, which in turn means you need it close enough to pass an electrostatic charge-in order to maintain your spread, never mind it falling inward.

it's still cheaper to build and maintain a reaction force that has real weapons and doesn't rely on enemy incompetence, Natasha. your most likely entry points are also the ones most likely to be under surveillance by defenders and to have a reaction force in close proximity, even a blind entry is going to angle for the outer edges or for stable points elsewhere in the system, or relatively stable L1 points instead.

passive defense is only good for encouraging overconfidence.

The Inner Sphere / Re: Where would you work?
« Last post by Alan Grant on Today at 16:42:38 »
Honestly as an entirely new, unknown force, you'd have zero reputation. Everyone would be eyeballing you wondering if you are a bunch of pirates or spies or something. You probably would be forced to take whatever job you can find and not be too picky about it.

A lot depends on the unit's financial situation at that point too. You have all this gear and personnel but how are you on C-Bills? Any, at all? Or bank account zero?

If bank account zero, you are definitely just going to take the first job you can find, or three, and build up reputation, build up a bank account so you can just feed and sustain your people, let alone repair your equipment.

So maybe after that first contract or three, for literally anyone who would hire you, can't be picky, then you can look to upgrade. I'd probably start with an ASF squadron (and Leopard CV dropship), or some respectable anti-aircraft vehicles or 'mechs to balance out the unit's ability to defend itself and control the skies and provide some cover for the unit in space.

After that I'd look to motorize or mechanize more of the infantry. They don't all have to have motorization, but a few more infantry transports would go a long way toward making this entire unit more capable of maneuver warfare with an enlarged motor pool of vehicles. Right now all that foot infantry is slowing you down.

After that I'd look to upgrade the infantry's weapons. Considering the unit's origins, I'm guessing they are packing elderly rifles and a smattering of heavy weapons at least as old as the infantry carrying them? Replace all the old stuff with a mixture of newer primary and infantry support weapons.

Decisions will need to be made on whether to sustain such a large infantry force or let it downsize over time through all forms of attrition. With that much infantry, that's a lot of mouths to feed and replenishing casualties will mean in bringing in lots and lots of outsiders over time. The existing people tied to this unit's origin story might not appreciate being out-populated by outsiders.

After all that, by this point the unit has probably seen combat and taken at least losses (whether through combat, or natural equipment failures of old equipment) over the course of multiple contracts, and the focus shifts to replacing lost equipment, preferably with newer, better machines. In the order of whatever is the oldest, saddest, gets replaced first.

I know I'm not quite focusing on your original question, who to hire on with. But I'm doing that because I think a fair number of employers would give this unit the hairy eyeball and not quite trust them. The mercenary market is saturated with plenty of units with a longer known history. So initially, the unit wouldn't be able to be picky at all, the contracts available to them would be quite limited. Pretty much roll a dice to decide which 1-2 employers decides to give the unit a chance and assign them a low paying garrison or security duty contract as their first job. Which gives everyone a chance to observe this unit a bit and decide what to make of them.

Just my opinion.
I can confirm that my local B&N had two on the shelf next to the Beginner Box yesterday.

I think stocking BattleTech, be it the Beginner's Box, AGoAC, or the Wolf's Dragoons Assault Star at places like Barnes & Noble is a brilliant way to get product in front of the masses and convert more people into fans and players.  Well done, CGL team.
Night Gyr T is an amazingly basic yet good configuration. It's also a case where I cannot decide between it and the Prime.

Likewise, Battle Cobra T is an actual good configuration to the point where you wonder why nobody did it before. G is possibly the best use of the Chassis so far, although that's not a high bar to clear. I makes you look at the Crossbow and go "you had one job..."

Jade Phoenix E is two of my fave weapons at once and good use of mixed tech
The Inner Sphere / Where would you work?
« Last post by Colt Ward on Today at 16:17:29 »
Sometime around the mid 3040s you lead a force of rebellion losers/refugees from deep in the Periphery to with late Age of War era gear (see below).  You arrive at the edges of the Magistry and Concordat though the size & location of the two realms are not what you were expecting.  You bring a core of supporters who are not ready to give up.  Instead, you sold them on a plan to recover your strength by find more advantages, and then return to take back your rightful home land (I know, such plans are usually abandoned).

If you were to arrive in the Periphery in the mid-3040s, which House or group would you try to hire on as mercs to gain access to material upgrades first?  What would be the first upgrade you were looking for?

What you bring
reinforced Mech company, mixed- ON1-H Orions, Shadow Hawk 1Rs, Wasp 1s, and the more advanced- a pair of Thunderbolt 5S and pair of Griffin 1N
2 Armor company-  Merkava Mk VIII
4 Infantry Battalions- 2 foot, 1 motorized (Randolphs), 1 mechanized w/prim APCs
4 Reaper Artillery Veh
jumpship
Czar DS (mech carrier config)
Jumbo DS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10