Register Register

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I like the Davion Faction stores.  Those high end UAC-5's, 10's and 20's are da bomb!
Off Topic / Re: NHL 2021-2022 Thread. Let's get Kraken!
« Last post by Firesprocket on Today at 12:56:07 »
Cam Atikinson to the Flyers for Voachek going back to Columbus.  Not entirely certain what to make of that on the Columbus end as they didn't get a draft pick and took on salary.  Flyers shed some salary and took on a slightly longer term.
Fair!

Pick and choose then!
Fan Fiction / Re: Far No Longer
« Last post by HABeas2 on Today at 12:42:11 »

Nils hesitated, and for a moment Sergo thought he was about to lie. He didn’t even notice, in that moment, that he had suddenly sucked in and held a lungful of air, until the answer came out…

“Yes,” Nils admitted, “although we’re not sure how well, anymore. We had a rough jump a few systems before the last one, and we’ve only performed one more jump since we first arrived in this system’s outer reaches—a short-range leap.”

Slowly, and as silently as possible, Sergo exhaled.

“Intriguing!” Tichîká said. “I would very much like to see this vessel of yours, Lieutenant. But I also presume, then—since you are here on Kætâtán soil, after all—that you also had a landing craft sufficient to make landfall here with the rest of your group?”

“Ah, that would be correct, Headspeaker.”

Tichîká made another single click inside her beak. “Remarkable. Is it still present?”

“I would hope so,” Nils said. “But I have no idea what’s happened with the rest of my people since we were brought here.”

Tichîká bobbed her head. “That’s fair enough,” she said. Turning away, she caught Ætõpo’s attention and spoke to him in the Tetakuni tongue. Ætõpo blinked and made some clicks before looking speaking to his bodyguard. The gray-plumed soldier listened, then produced a device from one of the pockets on her battle harness. The rectangular object looked rather similar to the one that Tichîká’s aide Eshese held, but rather than fiddling at it with her thumbs, the soldier tapped it only once or twice, then began speaking into it. Another voice answered moments later, its chirps and squawks faint and tinny, as the bodyguard shifted her gaze up to the shaman. The aliens chatted a bit more, when finally Tichîká turned her focus back toward Nils. “There have been no hostile actions reported by the local rangers, although it sounds as though your colleagues are on the move as we speak.”

“The hell!?” Mal exclaimed.

“All of them?” Sergo asked.

“I suppose that’s for you to tell us,” Tichîká said. “Just how large a force have you brought to this world?”

Nils paused again and glanced at Sergo.

Sergo shrugged. “May as well lay all the cards on the table now,” he said. “Our combat force is seven BattleMechs. We have a couple of cargo trucks, technical support staff, and a single DropShip. Nothing else here.”

Tichîká’s eyes narrowed slightly. “The rangers who were called claim to have spotted a total of six hardshells and a wheeled transport of some kind, heading north of where you were first encountered. Does that sound accurate for what you had when you left them with Shaman Ætõpo?”

Nils heaved a sigh and nodded. “Accounting for those who were still incoming when we left, that sounds likely. One ’Mech may have been left behind to guard our DropShip, or act as a relay for any spotty communications. I wouldn’t know for certain without being in contact with them.”

“Someone else is driving my ’Mech?” Mal grumbled.

“Probably a tech, Blackberries,” Nils told him. Finding Tichîká still watching him, he added, “Many of our ’Mech pilots are personally attached to their machines.”

Tichîká bobbed her head. “Of course,” she said. “We’ve seen the custom on many human worlds. We understand it’s an important status symbol for some of your kind.”

“You seem to know a great deal more about humans than the Tetakuni here do, Tichîká,” Sergo said, “and your command of our common language is excellent. I presume this is through observation of the worlds under your protection?”

“Actually,” Tichîká said to him, with a curious up-curl at the corners of her beak and a sudden puffing of the browner feathers at her collar, “it goes beyond even that for those of my tribe. We pride ourselves on our care and understanding of humans. Many of us recognize how precious sapient life in this universe truly is, and consider maintaining the health and safety of humans an almost spiritual calling. Learning your ways is so much a part of our traditions that many among us end up teaching human studies for high shamans, talekeepers, and talespeakers across the Diaspora.

“But working with the Friends of the Fallen Ones has given me a particularly keen perception of how your species prefers to live and conduct themselves. Thank you.”

Sergo couldn’t tell for certain if the alien was just that proud of herself, or if she was trying to be condescending, so he decided not to worry about it one way or the other and favored her with a smile instead. “So, then,” he said, “if I may be so bold, what function do those two humans beneath your ship serve?”

Tichîká and her fellow crewmates automatically followed the direction Sergo pointed as he asked his question, though the both the captain and the headspeaker also kept a pupil on him in the process. “Ah,” Tichîká said. “They are Sõshia and Kosín. My tribe adopted them from a refugee camp on the world they called Nirasaki. They serve a variety of ship-board roles at the moment, mostly as medical and research support on human subjects. Would you like to meet them?”

“Perhaps,” Sergo said, though an involuntary shiver of dread ran down his spine as he looked at them. “I mainly wondered if this was a typical fate for humans in your organization.”

Tichîká stiffened and her torso rose a bit higher as her eyes grew wider. “Skies and stars!” she said in a voice half an octave higher than before. “You make it sound as though we’ve enslaved or imprisoned them! I can assure you that this is not our way—not in the slightest! We cherish free will and compassion between Tetakuni and humanity. The very idea of human enslavement is what our organization stands against!”

“Ah,” Nils said sharply, “I don’t think my friend here meant any offense, Headspeaker! He merely wondered—as do we all—what life is like for humans in your, um, protectorate?”

Ah, thought Sergo. Now there’s a nerve plucked!

Tichîká made a rolling series of clicks and hesitantly turned her focus back to Nils. “We make every effort,” she said, “to keep our direct interference with human affairs to a minimum once a human group is homed on one of our worlds. We even permit the formation of planetary human nation-states and armies, as we understand the violent competition of cultures and ideologies is endemic to your species’ evolution. Does that sound like slavery to you, Sergo-human?”

“It sounds incredible, actually,” Sergo said. “You just watch our people go to war with each other?”

“We do,” Tichîká said with a bob of her head. “As troubling as it is, we know your people have a deep-seated need for this activity. We do reserve the capacity to intervene if such conflicts pose a threat to global populations or spill too far out of control, and to offer resource aids to groups as needed to preserve their survival.”

“Even military aid?”

“Spirits, no! But we can relocate and transplant non-combatant enclaves when necessary. We only resort to military options when no other viable alternative exists. To do otherwise could impair your sociopolitical ecosystems.”

“But humans can’t come and go as they please,” Mal challenged her. “Can they?”

Tichîká swiveled her head toward him and her eye slits narrowed. “As you must have realized by now,” she said, “human interstellar travel and communications collapsed long before we Tetakuni reached this part of the galaxy. There hasn’t been a working human JumpShip seen here in thousands of years, and sharing our spaceflight technologies would be an unforgivable corruption to your development. We can facilitate relocation between worlds, and even hire humans into our interstellar service divisions, but otherwise, no, they can’t.”

“How is that freedom, then?”

Nils reached out to seize Mal by the arm, but the man simply jerked away, while still glaring at Tichîká.

“I can understand that this distresses you, Malcolm-human,” Tichîká said, “but our mandate is to ensure your peoples’ long-term survival as a species. So far as we can tell—from an abundance of evidence found since my people reached what you once called the Inner Sphere—the loss of interstellar travel was a product of deliberate human action, not ours.”

“Convenient!” Mal snarked, even as Sergo desperately willed him to just shut up already!

“Indeed,” Tichîká pressed on. “Because it may well have prevented your complete extinction as a species, since it made it impossible for your kind to continue waging whatever genocidal campaigns left worlds like this one uninhabited for so many centuries. It has taken many generations of my people—many dozens of generations of yours—to bring humanity back from the brink. Why would we want to undo all of that?”

“Now seal it, MechWarrior,” Nils added. “These people haven’t done anything to us.”

“So they say,” Mal grumbled.

“Once again,” Nils said to Tichîká, “I must apolo—”

Tichîká held up a hand and shook her head as humanly as possible. “No need, Lieutenant,” she said. “I’m sure this is a lot to process all at once. I’d probably feel the same way, were our positions reversed.”

“The fact is,” Sergo said, “we’re all getting the sense that you have come to take us away from this world, and place us on one of your ‘protected worlds’ without us having a say in the matter.”

A set of Tichîká’s pupils turned to Sergo. “I recognize that it seems that way, Sergo-human,” she said, “but to repeat your preface, ‘the fact is’ that this world—for better or worse—is no longer part of any human collective, and hasn’t been for some three-thousand years now. The Partnership of Pidóta doesn’t support any sizeable human populations, and thus legally considers you all trespassers here. Were they more like your people, you’d have already been attacked by their rangers, but instead, they called for us to facilitate your relocation. Truth be told, they—and we—initially believed you were a rogue group set loose here by human-poachers or perhaps the Exoteric State.”

“The Exoteric State?” Nils repeated.

Tichîká nodded. “Many of us see them as a somewhat unscrupulous sovereignty in this part of the Diaspora. They have been known to employ humans as a supplemental labor force, particularly in hazardous or otherwise questionable situations. Quite disturbing, really.”

Great to see corruption is another trait our species have in common, Sergo thought.

“That all being said,” Tichîká continued, “you are correct in your suspicions that we’ve come to take you away from here and to one of the worlds in our care, if only for your own safety. But you certainly do get a say in the matter, as we want to ensure that your new home is to your liking as much as possible…”
The Periphery / Re: House Arano - Aurigan Coalition : sceanario maps?
« Last post by koraq on Today at 12:33:55 »
I have most of the old maps, and having checked the Sarna maps I don't think it's either of them.
Off Topic / Re: Naval Pictures VIII: From Japan with love
« Last post by Ruger on Today at 12:20:09 »
Question for  the contributors. I recall reading somewhere (possibly in the rules for a tabletop game - maybe 7th Fleet) that the Royal Navy, unlike most other navies, classified their ship types by role rather than size. So a vessel that was optimized for air-defense was a frigate regardless of tonnage (anti-submarine ships were destroyers, anti ship vessels were cruisers). Was this in fact the case? If so, is it still the case?

Not an expert, but the Dido-class lighth cruisers would seem to counter this theory? They were the UK’s counterpart to the USA’s Atlanta-class anti-air light cruisers (but with dual purpose 5.25 inch twins or dual-purpose 4.5 inch twin mounts depending on the group as the main armament instead of the Atlanta’s twin 5 inch/38 dual-purpose mounts).

Ruger
There have been a number of mapsets through the years. Sarna has a list of them (https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mapsheet). It might be difficult to locate some of the older maps.
Off Topic / Re: Naval Pictures VIII: From Japan with love
« Last post by marauder648 on Today at 12:13:20 »
Not really, in modern terms the RN uses the term Frigate for ships with an ASW focus and Destroyer for AA, but this is kinda redundant as modern warships are multi-role.

In the past this wasn't a thing, it was done on size, above a certain weight it was a destroyer, below that it was frigate and corvettes.
Pre-order may be their distributor so double check, my FLGS had a pre order for Combat Manual Steiner.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10